Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Thread has some strange takes. My go to for this is definitely Adam sandler and not for uncut gems (which I think is pretty overrated, though he's fine). It's this:

v1.bTsxMTI5MTA5MTtqOzE4NTgwOzEyMDA7MTUzOTsyMDUy

And even this film just more knows how to use Sandler appropriately.

this thread is really about great scripts overcoming merely competent if charismatic actors.

raisinghed.jpg

Nicolas Cage's only good role (H. I. McDunnough from Raising Arizona.) He is absolutely terrible in everything else that I have seen him in.
I note you wrote "I have seen him in" - have you seen adaptation?

Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones.
Blade Runner?

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of want to say Tina Fey. Outside of 30 rock, she hasn't had any compelling or even interesting roles as an actor. Doesn't help that she basically plays herself in every thing too.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Thread has some strange takes. My go to for this is definitely Adam sandler and not for uncut gems (which I think is pretty overrated, though he's fine). It's this:

v1.bTsxMTI5MTA5MTtqOzE4NTgwOzEyMDA7MTUzOTsyMDUy

And even this film just more knows how to use Sandler appropriately.

this thread is really about great scripts overcoming merely competent if charismatic actors.

I note you wrote "I have seen him in" - have you seen adaptation?

Blade Runner?
I think the problem is not many terrible actors have a stand out role. There are certainly a lot of "ok" actors who have a couple noteworthy performances and manage to hang in there.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Vin Diesel. He was great in Pitch Black. Anything else ? Not so much. Even when playing his Pitch Black character again.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stallone was good as Rocky but he was a shit actor in every other film he did. Except maybe Copland and Cliffhanger.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The only role in which Jai Courtney really shined was Varro in Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

I wouldn't call him terrible otherwise, just kinda plain.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone in James Cameron movies

Edit: Sorry all. I some how interpreted the title as not really doing anything else after James Cameron, but even then was being hyperbolic. All around this was a bad take. Examples in my head of people that were under utilized after Cameron were Linda Hamilton Michael Biehn and Edward Furlong.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
He was good in a few things, but normally I can't stand John Travolta, but he was so good in Pulp Fiction that it seriously feels like I'm watching Vincent Vega instead of John Travolta. That only rarely happens with any actor for me.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
9552d2df-6705-4db9-81bkoh.jpeg

Brent Spiner as Data on Star Trek TNG, he was only good in that role and only in that specific role, he also played Lore, Soong, various holodeck characters in A Fistful of Datas and a bunch of different personalities in Masks and they were all various kinds of bad with Lore being the least bad one but was a kind of moustache twirling villain.
Then in the movies they gave Data emotions and he started sucking as Data too, every time Data showed emotions it was just awkward.

Outside of Star Trek he never did anything impressive.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
Jesse Eisenberg in The Social Network.

Although great is an overstatement, just well cast with good material

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of good and a lot of bad choices in the thread. I would add Jason Sudeikis, whom I absolutely loathe, but who was good enough in Colossal. Maybe great would be an overstatement, but it's a really well turn by an actor that I hate

I feel like Jon Hamm might fit this bill. I haven't really been all that impressed with his post-Mad Men work.

It honestly is surreal how incredible Jon Hamm was Mad Men and how completely unremarkable his career outside of it is. I always get excited for a moment when he shows up in any film and then immediately disappointed.

Everyone in James Cameron movies

That's an idiotic take, unless you honestly think DiCaprio and Winslet peaked with Titanic

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
More people need to watch Swiss Army Man.

PSA: Please Watch Swiss Army Man people
Paul Dano detractors also need to watch Love & Mercy.

My suggested actor for this thread would be Steven Seagal... what else has he done that was decent aside from Under Siege?

I'll also second the suggestion of Jesse Eisenberg... although casting him to play Zuckerberg was inspired.

Annihilator

Nov 10, 2017
West Fargo
This was a cool topic/thread but then I read through it and all these god awful takes/responses and I just don't have it in me to respond to all of them. There is a few good choices in the thread but not many.

Oct 27, 2017
Is Charlie Hunnam good in anything besides The Lost City of Z? I've seen him listed alongside the likes of Taylor Kitsch and Sam Worthington as a prime example of the typical Hollywood mediocre white guy so he might fit the bill cause he's definitely fucking great in Z. I've only seen him in Pacific Rim besides that and he's pretty forgettable there.

Statik

alt account
Banned
Jul 17, 2020
Sopranos_Michael_Imperioli.jpg

Michael Imperioli was pretty great in The Sopranos, but for some reason, just couldn't get going in anything else thereafter. Every work he was associated with after, it was just pretty awful.
I think it's because he tries to play out of type, which is admirable, since he's an actor and doesn't want to be pigeonholed. But, he was perfect as a sniveling, underachieving underling in organized crime.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Too often when people think they are judging acting, they are actually judging writing.

That being said, Mark Wahlberg was the first person I thought of for this thread, but he has a few amazing performances (Boogie Nights, I <3 Huckabees, We Own the Night, specifically) among his catalogue of poop.

happening-face-700x300.jpg

What a doofus.

he was well received in several recent movies (patriot day, deep water horizon).

also really liked him in the departed and fighter

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
MV5BOWY0YTg2NDctNWM5MS00ZDM0LWIyNDctYzExY2EwOTMxZWJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,962_AL_.jpg

Malon Wayans in Requiem for a Dream.

raisinghed.jpg

Nicolas Cage's only good role (H. I. McDunnough from Raising Arizona.) He is absolutely terrible in everything else that I have seen him in.
Very, very wrong. Nicolas Cage is often goofy, but when he wants to he can be legit great.

Just watch:

Leaving Las Vegas
Wild at Heart
Bringing Out the Dead
Adaptation. (his magnum opus IMO)
Matchstick Men
The Weather Man
Mandy
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Is Charlie Hunnam good in anything besides The Lost City of Z? I've seen him listed alongside the likes of Taylor Kitsch and Sam Worthington as a prime example of the typical Hollywood mediocre white guy so he might fit the bill cause he's definitely fucking great in Z. I've only seen him in Pacific Rim besides that and he's pretty forgettable there.
He good in the gentleman, pacific rim, sons of anarchy, crimson peak, children of men

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is true with pretty much every actor in the Sopranos. I don't remember James Gandolfini standing out in any post-Sopranos films. Plus, it's really, really, really hard to follow up something like the Sopranos. It's like a Top 3 TV show of all time.

It's just voice work but he was fantastic in Where the Wild Things Are. And he played the warden in that one movie where Robert Redford was imprisoned in a military prison to perfection.

Halle Berry, she is amazing in Monsters Ball, but fuck shes average to downright awful in other films.

Let's be honest, that was an entirely undeserved Oscar. She was carried through by Billy Bob Thorton, crazy though he was. Terrible performance by her.