Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017

Ridiculous from MS or whoever decided that it's good to give some journos a month and others literally 3 days. Review tiers? Is this what we at now in terms of reviewing?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of "tiers" for review access is?????????

Why the hell would you do that? It literally only hurts the reviewer with zero benefit.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some people were given access earlier for preview purposes. Those who got preview access lost access for a week or two in between. Can totally understand Xbox not wanting to go too wide this this a month before launch. No publishers give access that early to full games.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I really don't want to read a review by somebody who has to rush through the game as quickly as possible (well, more so than the already-ridiculous review timelines). No way that's not going to taint the experience.

Tiered access like this doesn't benefit anyone.

Jedi79

Oct 27, 2017
Not cool move by Xbox but why doesn't G4 just push the review back so Adam has proper time to play and review it properly?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why Xbox would lie, like someone like Sessler doesn't talk to other reviewers.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
That's completely unacceptable. I can almost feel the pain in his tweets. Jeez. The man has a right to be fucking pissed.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I suspect the dividing line might've been people who got code as part of that wave of previews a couple of weeks ago, versus people who only got review code. They seemed to expand the ring of access a bit from one to the other, because I know some people who didn't get preview code did end up doing reviews.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
The different kinds of tiers is quite egregious. Some a month, some 2 weeks, some a week, some not even that.

They dropped the ball

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the reasons I don't like the way reviews work. The need for deadlines and everything always being instant day one

Normal people don't play a game by destroying their bodies to rush through it quickly enough to meet a deadline. Normal people play a game for enjoyment when they wish to do so.

It'd be like asking a food critic to review a meal but he has to eat it in under 10 seconds

What relevance does this have to *my* experience as a regular consumer who has no need to rush through something?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some people were given access earlier for preview purposes. Those who got preview access lost access for a week or two in between. Can totally understand Xbox not wanting to go too wide this this a month before launch. No publishers give access that early to full games.

This makes sense. Still seems like they could've done better than 3 days, but I'm not in the press or the PR industry so I am basing that on nothing.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The idea of "tiers" for review access is?????????

Why the hell would you do that? It literally only hurts the reviewer with zero benefit.

I'm small fry and am constantly put in the last "bucket" for code. It's very frustrating to get a review code the day before release or even release day, and I really don't get the logic in withholding codes like this through arbitrary designations (we certainly have higher metrics than a lot of sites that get codes weeks before we do).

I'm surprised someone major like Sessler wasn't treated better though.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm I'd have thought Adam would've been given priority, this all sounds really strange. I can see why he'd be down on the game if he had to race through it

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I really don't want to read a review by somebody who has to rush through the game as quickly as possible (well, more so than the already-ridiculous review timelines). No way that's not going to taint the experience.

Tiered access like this doesn't benefit anyone.

I get what you're saying but I still trust Sessler. I don't expect anything but the truth from him.

Oct 27, 2017
They need to control the leaks that would happen if tons of reviewers got it. Sessler needs to act like a grown man. If he can't understand the whys of it or deal with it maybe he should do something else. Sorry but he looks like a diva here.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be pissed too but his outrage and the fact he rushed through the game means I have no interest in his input, whoops.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
"fucking pissed. Not because as a man in his late 40's I got 8 hours of sleep over 3 days."

is this serious?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Them lying about it is just extra shitty, like why?
I knew publishers can be selective with which reviewers get first access.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Not cool move by Xbox but why doesn't G4 just push the review back so Adam has proper time to play and review it properly?

Reviews have the biggest impact around launch, mainly because that's when everyone posts the review (unless there are no embargoes, or exclusivity deals with print for example). If you have a big audience that is privy to your voice regarding the stuff, you can post it later but if you need the mass-market viewership (especially with how competitive online reviews are), you risk losing the sweet spot, and afterwards there's no real point to the review.

Yeah, he's speaking like he's in his 60s.
I'm 29 and I can barely manage less than 6 hours of sleep per 24 hours. His tweet may sound dramatic, but no need to shame the man because of the work he had to do.

Oct 25, 2017

Some of the stuff unfortunately has an expiration when it comes to everyone's eyes being on your review. This is especially important when G4 is effectively starting over as a new outlet and they probably have teams of people they gotta cut paychecks to.

Sucks, but competing game coverage do be like that.

Edit: Just wanted to add a little more, I can also imagine reviews being harder to write in a time where a ton of streamers, some more high profile than others, will simply stream the game on launch day and anyone on the fence or interested in seeing how others are reacting to a game or how a game actually plays outside of marketing assets might tune into them instead of watching/reading your review. Which makes getting these reviews out in a timely manner even more important.

Add that to reviewers feeling like they gotta rush shit and you got a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
"middling-ass campaign" definitely makes me think the experience lessened his enjoyment (I've been there as a reviewer).

It really does impact the way someone reviews their game if the process is miserable.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Why it is shitty? I at least gave a reason why it is.

Because you are giving one person favourable treatment and the other not so. How is that not shitty? That shouldn't be the case in reviews. I gather the people who had more time with the game will have more fun compared to someone who has 3 day deadline to finish them. Nobody benefits from the latter.

Oct 27, 2017
Because you are giving one person favourable treatment and the other not so. How is that not shitty? That shouldn't be the case in reviews. I gather the people who had more time with the game will have more fun compared to someone who has 3 day deadline to finish them. Nobody benefits from the latter.

Why did the review have to be on day one?

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
It's a bummer…but his rant also comes off wrong as well… unprofessional or something? Throwing that Sony jab in there as well for a man in his late 40s…

Wish I knew more of the story and how the whole process worked.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
They need to control the leaks that would happen if tons of reviewers got it. Sessler needs to act like a grown man. If he can't understand the whys of it or deal with it maybe he should do something else. Sorry but he looks like a diva here.
Bad take. "Just stop being a diva and crunch for 3 days to get your review out in time for embargo. It's just the way these things work."

Should game devs complaining about crunch culture also suck it up? or is the expectation different for media for some reason

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Why did the review have to be on day one?

While I don't have experience with the game industry, but as someone who has had to work on tight schedules for website content, the drop off in interest is significant if not aligned with surrounding media. You are losing real money.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
What would reviewers tier mean? The higher the tier the more exposure your game have?
Higher tier probably meant having full access to the game for preview and review purposes 1 month in advance. Publishers will sometimes be stingy with codes to trusted media/influencers for leak prevention purposes (and also favorable/fair coverage). As far as the "lie" goes, I'm guessing it was just an uninformed agency partner distributing the codes.

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought it's counter-productive for publishers to do this. Either give reviewers time or don't send it out at all.
Who do those rushed reviews serve?

People read/watch reviews on day one. It probably wouldn't make much sense for them to have it a week later or whatever.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Why it is shitty? I at least gave a reason why it is.
They lied, they showed favoritism, they pushed him and the people he works with to work insane hours to get the review done, and yes, they need to get it out day 1 because thats when reviews matter most. They would have essentially wasted their time otherwise. Some reviewers just got to take their time and work normally for their review and some didn't. Its fucked up and I see no reason to blame anyone but Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.