• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm just more bothered by the reviewers crunching for a game review (something that happens a lot) than I am about Adam invoking Sony yknow? It's a much bigger issue and I wish we took it more seriously. Especially given how much we like to talk about this stuff when it happens to game devs. Crunch is crunch no matter who's doing it.

I agree wholeheartedly. Reviewers should get more time. I wasn't trying to detract from that.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like he actually had 1 whole week to review it, not 3 days. Sounds pretty melodramatic to me.
Because all the other bits of writing a review, like writing the script, filming, and editing take no time at all, right?

Not to mention literally everything else he's doing.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree. 3 days is not enough time. It legit is part of the reason Sony gets better scores. Give the games time to breathe. Running around like a chicken with your head cut off is now way to play and will negatively effect your review scores.

But dude is SUPER toxic on Twitter. One of my only unfollows because of just how bad it gets.

Like, the correct path here for a 40+ year old man is to go to his contact and voice this concern like a professional.
Which he did and he got lied to, so what is he suppose to do? pretend that it's ok for them to lie to him?

digitALEXport

Banned
Oct 4, 2018
Hawaii
It sounds like he actually had 1 whole week to review it, not 3 days. Sounds pretty melodramatic to me.
Thank you...I was sitting here trying to do the mental math...if he got it last week Monday, isn't that a week to play the game and 2-3 days to create/edit the review?

Yeah this is a crunch, but for someone who that is their career, that time frame doesn't seem too extreme? Maybe I am crazy lol. I just view this on the same level as a 40-60 hour project at work, which I will be given a week to a week and a half to work on

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
For everyone saying the date isn't important to get views, it definitely is, my reviews are barely seen even close to release, I do it as an hobby, but I've noticed the few I had ready by launch skyrocketed compared to the others, let's face it we live in an era where every second counts in stuff like this, especially if it's your job you're effectively losing money

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone saying the date isn't important to get views, it definitely is, my reviews are barely seen even close to release, I do it as an hobby, but I've noticed the few I had ready by launch skyrocketed compared to the others, let's face it we live in an era where every second counts in stuff like this, especially if it's your job you're effectively losing money
A mod needs to pin this or post it in the OP.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
20 page thread incoming.

But yeah, I'd be pissed too if I had to rush through that in 3 days and then found out I was lied to.

The comparison with Sony... not the best idea.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Review tiers? What the fuck?

We don't know for sure, but the source for that phrase/idea may just be talking about earlier preview codes vs the actual review codes.

Gene Park was part of the preview group, and wrote a preview piece referring to having played seemingly the full campaign from it on Nov 19, obviously holding back due to the embargo. That said, I think that might have been a "clever" way to work around the restrictions where previews could only describe gameplay specifics from the first four hours, and no new story specifics. I think we're looking at some confusion re: the two.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I agree wholeheartedly. Reviewers should get more time. I wasn't trying to detract from that.
Yeah and I do get you in general though, it does bother me when console wars gets wrapped up in this stuff.

Was wild seeing xbox fanboys on twitter suddenly care about crunch culture when ND was in the headlines for it. Vice-versa for Sony fans when stories about 343 were being shared. Just bothers me seeing people selectively care about issues depending on which company is doing it

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
The marathons I make sometimes to finish games are definitely not healthy, I can only imagine if more of my reviews had the added pressure of time.

yeah I also forgot to mention burn out as well. Of course when you review games as a job, then it's hard for them use burn out to stop playing. When I would go on gaming marathons when I was younger, I definitely had a lack of sleep and for some reason would eat very little during those times. Probably why I was so skinny back then.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever you feel about Sessler or this specific review, I think the obvious position to take is not "journalists should be grateful, lol playing games in a short amount of time is nothing".

If you are a consumer not weirdly attached to brands, the best outcome for game reviews is for the most diverse, wide net of journalists to have a good and equal amount of time to complete reviews by launch day. It gives the most accurate and relevant information to consumers about their purchase.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever you feel about Sessler or this specific review, I think the obvious position to take is not "journalists should be grateful, lol playing games in a short amount of time is nothing".

If you are a consumer not weirdly attached to brands, the best outcome for game reviews is for the most diverse, wide net of journalists to have a good and equal amount of time to complete reviews by launch day. It gives the most accurate and relevant information to consumers about their purchase.

You said everything I was going to say. Quoting for emphasis.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Yeah the title is misleading. It seems like anyone who didn't do previews got the review code the same time as him unless any other media folks have chimed in otherwise. There can be another discussion if 1 week is enough time to review it, or if MS should've let every single games media outlet and youtuber a full month access to Halo, but I think these tweets would've never been posted had he slept on them. Then again, his twitter history says otherwise...and now just found out about this crap.

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a nothing, but will suffice as the crack of daylight certain posters have been waiting months for.

Why do people have to get so defensive about seemingly valid criticism? Why can't people just enjoy playing on their box of choice, it's not enough to just enjoy the games and the ecosystem? No one's allowed to call them out on some minor PR thing?

Not just directed at the poster I'm quoting but just in general a lot of threads bring out these thinly veiled comments essentially saying anyone who has a problem with this is a shill for the other box" and it always just comes off hyper defensive in probably not the "trying to seem neutral but calling out those other fanboys" kind of way.

Jan 18, 2018
Absolutely!

He should shut up and should be thankful that he got a Download Code from Microsoft.

I will never understand why People act like they have rights to get Download Code early and for free. He should thank Microsoft for the Download Code and not attack them on Twitter!

If I were Microsoft than this would be the last time he has gotten an early Review Code and I would let him pay in the future for every Video Game like everyone else by himself if he wants to write a Review about Microsoft's Games.

Off topic, but why do you capitalize random shit like download code and video game?

On topic. I feel like it's ironic that a group that wants their hobbies taken seriously sees being a game reviewer as something less than a real job.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you...I was sitting here trying to do the mental math...if he got it last week Monday, isn't that a week to play the game and 2-3 days to create/edit the review?

Yeah this is a crunch, but for someone who that is their career, that time frame doesn't seem too extreme? Maybe I am crazy lol. I just view this on the same level as a 40-60 hour project at work, which I will be given a week to a week and a half to work on
I was confused by the math too until I looked up the review embargo which was today. So Adam was trying to have it done for today. That's why he says he had to finish for Friday to allow for editing.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
This is a crap situation, though I'm certain MS is not the only publisher doing something like this. Outlets are pressured by pubs to overlook a game's flaws and time pressure is one of the ways this is achieved

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Some people were given access earlier for preview purposes. Those who got preview access lost access for a week or two in between. Can totally understand Xbox not wanting to go too wide this this a month before launch. No publishers give access that early to full games.
For what it's worth, Nintendo gave reviewers literal weeks to play Xenoblade Chronicles X before the embargo lifted. I wish more publishers and more games had that courtesy.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't want to read a review by somebody who has to rush through the game as quickly as possible (well, more so than the already-ridiculous review timelines). No way that's not going to taint the experience.

Tiered access like this doesn't benefit anyone.

This and I like Adam's reviewsā€¦

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm glad he's back of the line for review codes after the transphobic garbage he spewed. Give him 1 hour next time

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm amazed this needs to be said, but game journalism is a professional field that takes real work and is not "just playing games for free all day". Say what you will about venting on Twitter, but insinuations that this is anything but a legitimate job with real deadlines and bottom-line business concerns is ignorant.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people have to get so defensive about seemingly valid criticism? Why can't people just enjoy playing on their box of choice, it's not enough to just enjoy the games and the ecosystem? No one's allowed to call them out on some minor PR thing?

Not just directed at the poster I'm quoting but just in general a lot of threads bring out these thinly veiled comments essentially saying anyone who has a problem with this is a shill for the other box" and it always just comes off hyper defensive in probably not the "trying to seem neutral but calling out those other fanboys" kind of way.

Because this site is full of fanboys that behave like fanboys. That poster is 100% correct as are you.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I'm amazed this needs to be said, but game journalism is a professional field that takes real work and is not "just playing games for free all day". Say what you will about venting on Twitter, but insinuations that this is anything but a legitimate job with real deadlines and bottom-line business concerns is ignorant.
At this point I've assumed most of the people dismissing reviewers are trolls.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is generating an ungodly amount of reports. The topic of Adam's review code can probably be discussed in an existing Halo Infinite thread. While we can sympathise with his situation, this doesn't feel massively thread worthy, especially if it's getting everyone so hot under the collar.

Status
Not open for further replies.