• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Met with a psych and talked about my anxiety/depression/ADHD they seem more concerned about the first two and prescribed me Zoloft which has me feeling?? Numb? is the best word I can use to describe it, however it isn't doing shit for my motivational/distractedness/concentration issues. Is there anybody in here who is taking an SSRI with an ADHD medication? Does one affect the other in some way? The Zoloft is working as intended as my constant anxiety and mood shifts have become less daunting, but my brain feels like it's in a fog and I'm having fatigue/nausea issues. Last night at work every time I yawned I felt like I wanted to hurl/had a shortness of breath.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
That's fucking weird, because ADHD is quite commonly comorbid with the things you mentioned and often minimise/disappear with ADHD-specific treatment. Honestly I reckon you could just have ADHD meds without any kind of anxiety/depression medication and you'd be fine. But I'm not a doctor, obviously... just advising that you question their motivations and reasons.

Supplements everyone using Adderall should take: NAC, Magnesium Glycinate, tyrosine, theanine
What's NAC? I know I should be taking the others though, but routine re: supplements is not a strong point for any ADHD person, specifically myself.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucking weird, because ADHD is quite commonly comorbid with the things you mentioned and often minimise/disappear with ADHD-specific treatment. Honestly I reckon you could just have ADHD meds without any kind of anxiety/depression medication and you'd be fine. But I'm not a doctor, obviously... just advising that you question their motivations and reasons.

This was my take, as well.

I've had a lot of discussions over the years with friends and family who have anxiety and depression, often diagnosed. And one thing I have found is I can easily relate to so many aspects of both, with one key exception - my anxiety and depression aren't innate but stem from the ADD. When I feel productive and focused the other two aspects drift completely away, but when I am unfocused and struggling to just do routine work, let alone other things, it makes me anxious and depressed.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
This was my take, as well.

I've had a lot of discussions over the years with friends and family who have anxiety and depression, often diagnosed. And one thing I have found is I can easily relate to so many aspects of both, with one key exception - my anxiety and depression aren't innate but stem from the ADD. When I feel productive and focused the other two aspects drift completely away, but when I am unfocused and struggling to just do routine work, let alone other things, it makes me anxious and depressed.
Yup, exactly. I don't know how doctors don't even know that, it only takes a little bit of research. Overthinking is a huge component of ADHD, depression and anxiety. Two of those things stem from the other, like you said. Doctors should be treating the cause and not the symptom, ugh.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, exactly. I don't know how doctors don't even know that, it only takes a little bit of research. Overthinking is a huge component of ADHD, depression and anxiety. Two of those things stem from the other, like you said. Doctors should be treating the cause and not the symptom, ugh.

In the situation Desparadina mentioned, though, I could see a psych (ologist or iatrist? This might be useful info, and I'm leaning psychiatrist due to prescribing) focusing on what they might interpret as more worrisome components. Someone with clear anxiety or depression might be in an at-risk group depending on how those symptoms are presented, while ADD isn't necessarily life-threatening like those conditions can be. Also depends on when this particular practitioner got their start - the backlash toward over-diagnosing ADD in the 90s is very real, and it can feel at times as if practitioners give the condition short shrift in comparison.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
There are fairly serious heart concerns related to taking NAC regularly. I was going to try it but stopped at the last minute after more worrisome information got passed around Reddit and such.

Do your research before blindly taking something on an online rec.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Also depends on when this particular practitioner got their start - the backlash toward over-diagnosing ADD in the 90s is very real, and it can feel at times as if practitioners give the condition short shrift in comparison.
Yeah, that's a fair point. I'm in Australia where I don't think ADHD (mis/over)diagnosis was much of an issue back then.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Subtitles/closed captioning always on if you want to follow the story. It's basically visually distracting you toward the dialog, which is where most of the story is.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Every time I go back on meds I'm reminded why I hate Caffeine. This was a gross week.

I sure do love coffee though.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018
Funny that this is my first time seeing this thread. I'm actually planning to make a doctors appointment tomorrow to see if I can get an assessment on whether or not I have ADD (I'm like 90% sure I do and so is my Mum). Found it so difficult my entire life to focus and I've never been able to study or anything for school because I just cant force myself to sit down and concentrate.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Funny that this is my first time seeing this thread. I'm actually planning to make a doctors appointment tomorrow to see if I can get an assessment on whether or not I have ADD (I'm like 90% sure I do and so is my Mum). Found it so difficult my entire life to focus and I've never been able to study or anything for school because I just cant force myself to sit down and concentrate.

Good luck! Let us know if you have an advice (though obviously you should listen to your doctor first).

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A bit of an update, my psychiatrist prescribed me Strattera but i haven't had a chance to actually take it since the local pharmacy has to order it before i can use it. I've heard some mixed things about this medication from people online, however my psychiatrist mentioned that they don't really prescribe stimulants for ADHD at the place I'm at. I'm hoping that this medication does the trick though I'm kinda worried that if it doesn't that I might need to find a new mental health facility that would consider the other options. Just wanted to know if anyone here had any experience with Straterra

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit.

I was able to take my medications without abusing it today.

Probably the first time I've ever done this in a while, and I still have to contend with other days, but I was able to finally end the cycle of abuse with me.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Well this stupid virus has fucked with my medication too.

Got Adderall this time instead of Dexedrine....

I KNOW there is a difference now, because quite frankly I felt awful when I took it, and this was never the case with Dexedrine.

FUCK ADDERALL.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
How did I manage to not find this thread when I was going through stuff and got my diagnosis for ADD some time ago?? Feels like I need to read through everything when I got the time.

As for the effects of drugs. The calming effect is often misunderstood, it's not like a sedative. Personally I have ADD and even without drugs I can seem calm and relaxed, but even if I'm sitting still I feel restlessness. It's like there's too much distracting noise inside. The brain needs constant stimulation and it does so by jumping from one thing to another. Unless it is something very interesting, focusing on one task is very hard (it's not inability to focus, it's inability to control your focus). So stimulants calm because they give your brain the stimulation it needs. It sort of feels like the inner background noise goes away, there's not that much junk cluttering your brain anymore. Things seem clearer and more straight forward. This has a huge effect on productivity, what used to be a struggle is now a breeze.

I know I am replying an old post, but thanks, this is precisely how it feels for me!

I have a lot of work in front of me to learn away from years and years of wrong practices like smart phone addiction etc., but it feels getting diagnosed and medication (Concerta) at least gives me a fighting chance.

Vandova

Feb 14, 2018
Has anyone gone from Vyvanse to Mydais? Was it an improvement? I started with ritilin, then to adderall, and now I'm taking Vyvanse 70mg. I heard about Mydais, but my doctor has claimed many haven't made any improvements, but I'm thinking maybe I can ask again if there are any success stories.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone gone from Vyvanse to Mydais? Was it an improvement? I started with ritilin, then to adderall, and now I'm taking Vyvanse 70mg. I heard about Mydais, but my doctor has claimed many haven't made any improvements, but I'm thinking maybe I can ask again if there are any success stories.

Mydais is just Adderall XR with an additional action. If Adderall didn't work for you as well as Vyvanse does, then I don't understand why your doctor would choose Mydais.

FWIW, Adderall and Mydais are both Mixed Amphetamine Salts, which is 75% Dextroamphetamine and 25% Levoamphetamine. Vyvanse is Dextroamphetamine that metabolizes slowly.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I tried mydayis. Gave me the exact same feeling as Vyvanse but it was longer lasting. If you're going from vyvanse I don't think it will be any more helpful.

A bit of an update, my psychiatrist prescribed me Strattera but i haven't had a chance to actually take it since the local pharmacy has to order it before i can use it. I've heard some mixed things about this medication from people online, however my psychiatrist mentioned that they don't really prescribe stimulants for ADHD at the place I'm at. I'm hoping that this medication does the trick though I'm kinda worried that if it doesn't that I might need to find a new mental health facility that would consider the other options. Just wanted to know if anyone here had any experience with Straterra

have you tried it yet? Curious to hear anyones thoughts re: strattera. The dream is never having to take a stimulant again for my ADHD.

It definitely irks me when people act like caffeine is there to replace medication.

do you ever use caffeine to "boost" your medication? That's what I do towards the end of the day.

Last edited:

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Got go back thru all the post, but does any have any ADHD book for ADULTS. Every time I go seek literature for self help to improve myself or tactics to get professional help, I get lost in all the literature aimed at parents helping their young children. Last few times I had my doctor suggest therapy- all the one were out of network or full. The nurse were unsympathetic and told me I hand to do my own research. I litteral bustd out in tears after getting up the nerve to go to the doctor to ask for help and the nurse said you just need to call these numbers. "If I could call the numbers myself, I wouldn't be here!" I need more information to advocate for myself.

I can lazer focus on information, but get easily distracted and discourage when trying to find the correct avenue of information.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
have you tried it yet? Curious to hear anyones thoughts re: strattera. The dream is never having to take a stimulant again for my ADHD.

Honestly you should try it for yourself as it affects everyone differently. Unfortunately for me it was not very effective. I started at 25mg and upped too 100mg, the higher the dosage got the worst my anxiety was and honestly my mind felt even more scrambled than normal. It was actively difficult to drive because of this anxiety and after discussing it with my psychiatrist we're planning on trying something new next month. More than likely a stimulant.

OP
OP
5taquitos

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Got go back thru all the post, but does any have any ADHD book for ADULTS. Every time I go seek literature for self help to improve myself or tactics to get professional help, I get lost in all the literature aimed at parents helping their young children. Last few times I had my doctor suggest therapy- all the one were out of network or full. The nurse were unsympathetic and told me I hand to do my own research. I litteral bustd out in tears after getting up the nerve to go to the doctor to ask for help and the nurse said you just need to call these numbers. "If I could call the numbers myself, I wouldn't be here!" I need more information to advocate for myself.

I can lazer focus on information, but get easily distracted and discourage when trying to find the correct avenue of information.
Give this one a shot, I got it from one of my therapists and found it reasonably useful.

You Mean I'm not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults w/ Attention Deficit Disorder: Kelly, Kate: 9780743264488: Amazon.com: Books

You Mean I'm not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults w/ Attention Deficit Disorder [Kelly, Kate] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. You Mean I'm not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults w/ Attention Deficit Disorder

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
do you ever use caffeine to "boost" your medication? That's what I do towards the end of the day.
This might sound weird, but caffeine will give me a massive motivation boost while medicated. Dexies do majority of the heavy lifting but they mainly just help with focus, not drive. When I've had a Boss coffee, I'll get a good kick and wind up doing a bunch of shit around the house (or whatever).

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
Huh, I never thought of the effects of caffeine while on medication that much. Now that I think about it, while I've been on medication I generally have dropped afternoon coffee/tea, at least compared to the amounts I used to have it. Of course, that filled mug next to the keyboard was pretty much a requirement for me to get any work done.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could take ADHD medication. None of it has worked for me (the side effects are physically debilitating), and the antidepressants I'm on are stimulants that often make my ADHD worse. It's a double-edged sword: I can be miserable and productive, or not miserable and anxious.