• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it should be and we honestly need to really rethink why this is always called for. Whether it's in shows or games or movies, the idea that the hundreds to thousands of people should be negatively affected because of the actions of a single or at most handful of higher ups, far removed from them or their knowledge, is a bit extreme. Especially when we also call out companies for frivolous mass layoffs. It just doesn't rub me right.

It's easy to say it's the morally right thing to do when none of us are affected or losing our jobs. It's another when you're in it and told "Hey some distant exec did some heinous shit, we're going to have to let all of you go"
…is nobody actually reading my posts?

I never argued or stated that people should lose jobs over this, nor do I believe anyone should (other than Justin). I said that maybe it's time to wind the show down and let the remaining creatives work on a new project.

This post you're responding to is me acknowledging that the solution is not likely in the world of modern television, and outlining what I believe AS will be actually doing (running out the existing 70 episode order and choosing not to renew)

Last edited:

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
Of course this piece of shit and Musk are friends.

Of fucking course...

I mean...

iu

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Do we seriously live in a world where the owner of one of the largest social media outlets is advocating for the innocence of a man accused of some serious crimes, even with evidence, just because they really like their show?

I'm fucking sorry; but the shit posting right wing incel bros getting away with this shit publically is breaking my brain and moral code.

Deleted user 125633

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
Or, hear me out, keep the show going for the people who aren't abusive predators and kick the one who is the fuck off when you learn about it, not years later when it leaks that you've been covering it up. From what it sounds like in that tweet, the writers did what they had the power to do to keep him out, it was on the higher ups to do the right thing and remove him instead of hiding it.

Most arguments for canceling the show effectively boils down to either not liking the show or the fanbase, and it isn't the first time nerds as groups or as individuals over the internet have called for a thing to go away because they don't like said thing or people who like said thing. Every Star Wars sequel thread inevitably attracts one or two posters who will chime in to remind us "the entire fandom is terrible" and they they are "done" with Star Wars while also managing to participate in every single goddamned discussion for the franchise they happen to come across.

It is almost never about the actual victims of the asshole in question, and more about proving that you care harder than anyone else in the room. And when or if it comes out that others in the cast or crew did their best to get the guy out of there, then comes the endless handwringing about what the "moral" decisions ought to be, to which they still prefer to destroy a lot of jobs because "the rotten apple spoils the whole bunch" or some other horseshit.

I hate this shit, and it will never, ever, EVER stop being a thing.

Jun 17, 2019
My main question is going to be, will we see attacks by "fans" over removing him, or, in this case is it less about who's behind the voice and more about the actual characters being important. Ie: Rick can be voiced by whom ever as long as it's still looking like Rick, or will "fans" be upset that its not Roiland doing the voice anymore?

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
My main question is going to be, will we see attacks by "fans" over removing him, or, in this case is it less about who's behind the voice and more about the actual characters being important. Ie: Rick can be voiced by whom ever as long as it's still looking like Rick, or will "fans" be upset that its not Roiland doing the voice anymore?
Like other fandoms, I expect R&M fans (or at least a section of them) to point out and say: "if they're not voice by the original actor, they're not my Rick and Morty." These are probably the same types who don't care about the serious crime and the victim.

Deleted user 125633

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 13, 2022

I mean, people attacked the new voice actress of Bayonetta and the dev studio and even made excuses for anti-asian racism directed at the developers, even on this forum. You bet your ass there's going to be assholes stanning for Roiland.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, people attacked the new voice actress of Bayonetta and the dev studio and even made excuses for anti-asian racism directed at the developers, even on this forum. You bet your ass there's going to be assholes stanning for Roiland.
I will say I've been skimming discussions on a few different subreddits and mostly I've seen people just joking about the recasting process, if there's a contingent really mad about him getting pushed out they don't seem to be getting much oxygen. Maybe if it was just the initial charges because chuds could spin it as "he said she said who even knows the truth in these cases", but I think the texts with 15 year olds all coming out were so beyond the pale that even his fans are having a hard time defending him.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
…is nobody actually reading my posts?

I never argued or stated that people should lose jobs over this, nor do I believe anyone should (other than Justin). I said that maybe it's time to wind the show down and let the remaining creatives work on a new project.

This post you're responding to is me acknowledging that the solution is not likely in the world of modern television, and outlining what I believe AS will be actually doing (running out the existing 70 episode order and choosing not to renew)
Is there something you're aware of about the field that suggests some other highly profitable and popular creative endeavor is just sitting there in waiting ready to take on those impacted? Like as far as I'm aware, many of the people working in this field are basically scrounging from job to job hoping they can get something stable and longterm. The studios aren't going to bankroll something out of the goodness of their hearts, and they're certainly not going to just decide to assume the liability of launching a new endeavor to attempt to replace Rick & Morty. There's a reason they're trying to salvage the show now instead of just starting with something else. I just don't think it's a trivial and easy thing to get a critical mass of people watching your show to pay for everything. *LOTS* of shows fail. I'm also not in the industry so feel free to enlighten me. I honestly do not know.

Oct 29, 2017
Most arguments for canceling the show effectively boils down to either not liking the show or the fanbase, and it isn't the first time nerds as groups or as individuals over the internet have called for a thing to go away because they don't like said thing or people who like said thing. Every Star Wars sequel thread inevitably attracts one or two posters who will chime in to remind us "the entire fandom is terrible" and they they are "done" with Star Wars while also managing to participate in every single goddamned discussion for the franchise they happen to come across.

It is almost never about the actual victims of the asshole in question, and more about proving that you care harder than anyone else in the room. And when or if it comes out that others in the cast or crew did their best to get the guy out of there, then comes the endless handwringing about what the "moral" decisions ought to be, to which they still prefer to destroy a lot of jobs because "the rotten apple spoils the whole bunch" or some other horseshit.

I hate this shit, and it will never, ever, EVER stop being a thing.
Hi, the person you were replying to was replying to me. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this.

My original post, which admittedly could have better written explains my stance, but I will restate it more clearly here.

I believe, as long as Justin Roiland receives royalties for the show, merchandise, etc (which as far as we know is the case) the show should not continue. I also think, separately, that those who are innocent should keep their jobs, and work on something new, even if that "something new" is something like "Slick and Snorty". In a perfect world both of these statements could be true. However, as I acknowledge in my follow up post, we do not live in that perfect world.

And before we go any further, yes, in that first post I do state that I hate Justin Roiland, however, I do want to point out that I was a genuine, passionate fan of the show until Justin sided with a known Neo-Nazi. The last episode I can remember watching was "Pickle Rick", shortly after that the Jontron news broke, and I dropped the show. I watched the show through official means, and even bought a copy of Justin's first game, Accounting+ on PSVR. Furthermore, I am not a perfect person. I own Terry Gilliam movies on blu ray. The online-poet Steve Roggenbuck once came to my college for an art show, and I paid him money, as in directly to his hands for his poetry books. I have eaten Chick-Fil-A Chicken, I enjoy, and listen to David Bowie music. I am frequently a selfish, and self-centered individual, and would not ever pretend I am better than anyone, or that I care more.

The rationale for my statement is that Adult Swim has thrived on giving smaller creators and studios budgets and letting them run wild. From letting multiple members of Baltimore arts-collective Wham City create strange shorts, 20 minute long music videos and more, to letting Academy Award-nominated directors Daniels get their start making fake infomercials that aired at 3 AM, to letting one of the heads of Williams Street make one of the longest running experimental TV shows.

By all accounts Green Portal Productions, the animation studio founded and run by Justin Roiland has been given a 70 episode order in 2018. and that they have run through 30 of those episodes. In, and again I'd like to stress a perfect world, why not turn the remaining 40 episodes into something new, letting the creators add to the history of the midnight movie madness that is Adult Swim. I however, do understand that we do not live in that perfect world, and the show will likely continue for 4 more seasons (seasons have 10 episodes each), in which Adult Swim will likely choose not to renew.

Oh and while I was typing this StrangeADT replied to me, so I'm tagging you in this. I do not have any insider information, just looking at the situation from a holistic point of view

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

I think the most reactionary elements of the fandom went away a few years ago after the show went "woke" in the post Pickle Rick era, so I bet there will be some backlash but on the fringes.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
The case being dismissed doesn't mean squat in DV cases. Back when I was a DV advocate, we had a number of protection orders/charges dropped because the victims were unable to provide proof of abuse even though it was definitely happening.

Not to mentionthe fact that the law doesn't recognize emotional/psychological/financial abuse and mainly does physical. I knew a case where the victim got out before the abuser started physically abusing them, and because of that they couldn't get any protections because "they never physically hurt them."

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
All the messages that leaked of him hitting on underage girls sure doesn't change jack shit, even if this case got thrown out.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, restore the good name of Justin Roiland. Nobody ever had anything bad to say about him prior to this one thing!

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
Does this means he has grounds to sue Adult Swim and Hulu for "unjust firing" (sorry, I don't know the exact term)?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is the usual playbook where one case will get dismissed and it'll be proclaimed as some sweeping victory. Conviniently ignoring all the other behaviour that was called out.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have to assume he's pitching ideas about how to fight back at cancel culture using animated songs of singing penises

District attorney dismisses DV charges due to "having insufficient evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt"

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
variety.com

Justin Roiland Domestic Violence Charges Dismissed, ‘Rick and Morty’ Creator Slams ‘Horrible Lies Reported About Me’

"Rick and Morty" creator Justin Roiland has been cleared of domestic violence charges, and he's slamming the lies reported against him.

Little more detail

Oh so he's not clear clear.

Tube chud army coming to his defense in 3...

Been at zero. I'm getting nasty replies to a joke I posted on Twitter.

People are gonna be treating this like Johnny Depp again despite being very very different situations.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Ah gee, I-I-I-I dunno, Justin. What about all those underage girls you were DMing?

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ah gee, I-I-I-I dunno, Justin. What about all those underage girls you were DMing?
Listen Morty, *burrrrRpppp*, there's new AI called ChatGPT *buuuuuurp*, that transcribed all those messages. The program still had bugs Morty. Large bugs that *buuuurp* made it a pedophile. But it's fixed now Morty. We can restore my good name and create 9 season and a movie. Think about it Morty!