• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/alecrobbins/status/1618335768631734273?s=20&t=8jWmQo4WpBR_VXZqQIE_Eg

aLec robBins
@alecrobbins

·

to my knowledge, justin's only real creative involvement with rick & morty since probably season 3 is that he recorded the voices from his own basement. i'm told he wasn't welcome in the writers room because of multiple covered-up internal WB investigations re: sexual misconduct.

Alec Robins is narrative director at SquanchGames.

If true, WB has been covering for Roiland for years.

So, like… here's the thing.
I get why you wouldn't outright kill the show (innocent people get to keep their jobs, it makes a lot of money for AS, and likely single-handedly keeps them from getting the WB axe, etc), but this point, as it's becoming more and more obvious that people knew, and knew for YEARS… yeah fucking kill the show jesus.

Between the sexual assault cover up at Squanch Games itself, this, him being buddy buddy and giving known Neo-Nazi Jontron money (which is where I personally got on the "fuck this guy and the horse he rode in on" train), the already well documented toxic workplace ("fuck the union").

Like it's becoming more and more clear this dude is a monster, and for the fanbase is effectively inseparable from the art. Perhaps the early warning signs should have been that the Dhoc and Mharty "pilot" shorts was Doc tricking Mharty into performing sexual favors for him. It's been rotten from the core from the very start. Why not start anew, give those writers and animators some time to pitch new shows and go with one of those.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get why you wouldn't outright kill the show (innocent people get to keep their jobs, it makes a lot of money for AS, and likely single-handedly keeps them from getting the WB axe, etc), but this point, as it's becoming more and more obvious that people knew, and knew for YEARS… yeah fucking kill the show jesus.

Between the sexual assault cover up at Squanch Games itself, this, him being buddy buddy and giving known Neo-Nazi Jontron money (which is where I personally got on the "fuck this guy and the horse he rode in on" train), the already well documented toxic workplace ("fuck the union").

Like it's becoming more and more clear this dude is a monster, and for the fanbase is effectively inseparable from the art. Perhaps the early warning signs should have been that the Dhoc and Mharty "pilot" shorts was Doc tricking Mharty into performing sexual favors for him. It's been rotten from the core from the very start. Why not start anew, give those writers and animators some time to pitch new shows and go with one of those.
I don't think we live in a world where that is in any way feasible. No company will pay to keep an entire staff to try to pitch stuff for an indeterminate period of time to try to find interesting pitches, with no guarantees. Especially when their current contract ensure that they have their jobs for at least 4 additional seasons, which is almost unheard us in animation, much less in our current situation with the inflation, so no way adult swim would create a new contract that offer so much based on nothing but wishes that they get the genie in a bottle a second time.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think we live in a world where that is in any way feasible. No company will pay to keep an entire staff to try to pitch stuff for an indeterminate period of time to try to find interesting pitches, with no guarantees. Especially when their current contract ensure that they have their jobs for at least 4 additional seasons, which is almost unheard us in animation, much less in our current situation with the inflation, so no way adult swim would create a new contract that offer so much based on nothing but wishes that they get the genie in a bottle a second time.
Yeah, I know its not realistic, but I still think it should be done.
When the announcement broke, and they claimed the show would continue, I assumed that they're gonna run out the current contract and choose not to renew when it ends, which probably will be the best option (but, unless Justin's really bad with contracts he'll still technically get paid for all of it)

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know its not realistic, but I still think it should be done.
When the announcement broke, and they claimed the show would continue, I assumed that they're gonna run out the current contract and choose not to renew when it ends, which probably will be the best option (but, unless Justin's really bad with contracts he'll still technically get paid for all of it)
The still have forty episodes for the current contract that's the thing. They're years off from having a discussion of renewal, which I doubt will happen.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how quickly AS, Hulu, and Squanch made these announcements, I wouldn't be surprised if they had these contingencies in place already. They knew who he is.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Just to add to this. Buying the DVDs, which are still printed puts money in John's pockets.
Right, for clarification he's only been cut out of the reboot. I don't think I said/didn't mean to imply otherwise but good to specify for those who still like the show but don't want to give money to a child rapist

Also makes me wonder if he got anything from that Nicktoons Smash clone or if that happened after Nick did whatever they did to excise him from the franchise

Or, hear me out, keep the show going for the people who aren't abusive predators and kick the one who is the fuck off when you learn about it, not years later when it leaks that you've been covering it up. From what it sounds like in that tweet, the writers did what they had the power to do to keep him out, it was on the higher ups to do the right thing and remove him instead of hiding it.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

View: https://twitter.com/alecrobbins/status/1618335768631734273?s=20&t=8jWmQo4WpBR_VXZqQIE_Eg

aLec robBins
@alecrobbins

·

to my knowledge, justin's only real creative involvement with rick & morty since probably season 3 is that he recorded the voices from his own basement. i'm told he wasn't welcome in the writers room because of multiple covered-up internal WB investigations re: sexual misconduct.

Explains why they are so steadfast in playing damage control for Ezra Miller.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how quickly AS, Hulu, and Squanch made these announcements, I wouldn't be surprised if they had these contingencies in place already. They knew who he is.

I imagine most (smart) companies have contingencies in place if anything happens to higher ups, not just because of stuff like this but because well, dying happens.

Like, I would bet money that Disney has a backup plan if Kevin Fiege isn't around anymore, not because he might be a pedophile but because he could just die out of nowhere at any minute.

The only reason it happened so fast is because the charge is so severe, obvious, and out in the open that there's no reason to really deliberate about it. The opportunity cost isn't really there. If anything, I'd argue it happening so fast says a lot about how much they think he is important to the show.

Oct 27, 2017
When the show comes back, I'm sure they'll address this in some weird, meta way.

They could just have them come out of a smoke dimension in the cold open at the beginning of S7 coughing and make some comment about how it makes them feel like they've been smoking 40 a day for the last decade and they hope it doesn't change their voices.

I think it could be fun if they did a pair of celebrity voice actors for a season or a few episodes before settling back into regular VAs. They could do any crazy shit and justify it through multiverse shenanigans. Someone like George Clooney and Emma Thompson as R&M doing the same vocal affectations would be super fun!

But yeah, fuck Roiland and I'm glad the show isn't cancelled. Hopefully there is something contractual that if convicted of a certain crime he loses all rights and royalties for future episodes.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I told my girlfriend they should try an episode similar to the Return of Chef. Extra points for the results sounding as crude!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCgp9gwYaIU

That situation was pretty bad how it all went down. Hayes objected to how Matt and Trey depicted Scientology but understood them. Years later a statement was made in his name saying he wanted to be released from his contract citing religious intolerance. After they killed off Chef it was revealed that Hayes had had a stroke and couldn't make decisions for himself and one of his Scientology friends had forged the statement. His income was sharply reduced as a result and he died 2 years later from another stroke.

Oct 31, 2017
wow look at this guy bragging about having a girlfriend

wut

That situation was pretty bad how it all went down. Hayes objected to how Matt and Trey depicted Scientology but understood them. Years later a statement was made in his name saying he wanted to be released from his contract citing religious intolerance. After they killed off Chef it was revealed that Hayes had had a stroke and couldn't make decisions for himself and one of his Scientology friends had forged the statement. His income was sharply reduced as a result and he died 2 years later from another stroke.

When I found that out, I was sad.

Strangely, we wouldn't have had much more Hayes either way considering those issues.

beat

Oct 28, 2017

aLec robBins
@alecrobbins

·

The sex dragons ep was s4. 😬
And the piss guy villain was s6. 😬😬

Bengraven