• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
"Adult Swim has ended its association with Justin Roiland," a spokesperson said in a statement Tuesday.

Roiland's exit is not expected to impact the hit series, which will continue. There has been no reaction yet from Hulu where he is co-creator/executive producer and voice cast member of animated series Solar Opposites. He also is a performer on the streamer's animated comedy Koala Man

deadline.com

Adult Swim Severs Ties With ‘Rick And Morty’ Co-Creator Justin Roiland After Domestic Violence Charges; Voice Roles Will Be Recast

Justin Roiland of Adult Swim's Rick and Morty is no longer in business with Warner Bros Discovery. The show will go on with a new voice for Rick.

Might as well just cancel the show, honestly.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that's crazy that they actually went through with it.

Also crazy that they're still keeping the series. Must be making a lot of money but, how is it going to be moving forward without Justin?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Also crazy that they're still keeping the series. Must be making a lot of money but, how is it going to be moving forward without Justin?

I would assume the next couple of seasons are already written and there are plenty of good Rick and Morty impersonators out there

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I know it's equally Dan Harmon's baby as much as Justin Roiland's, but I don't know how this remains the same show w/o his voices.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard to find soundalikes out there. They'll be able to recast seamlessly and not have most people notice.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

There are plenty of people who can do a Roiland impression that's indiscernible from the real thing.

I'd say it's a bummer they're not just canning it, but there's a lot of really talented hard working people involved in every level of production that don't deserve to lose their jobs just because the one shithead who burps into a microphone ended up being a monster.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I expected this, but happened way faster than I thought it would

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good on them for doing what needed to be done. Whether R&M can continue past this upcoming season or if it even should is another matter, but I'd be interested to see someone else's take on the characters/world.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
They didn't even put him on suspension pending an investigation or anything, just straight up gone.

They knew.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Good.

I don't think it's that weird they're not cancelling the show. By the sounds of it, Roiland had periods he was barely involved aside from voicing it, and it's easy to tell that Harmon was by far the more important of the two.

Just have Morty say like "Rick are you sure this is the right universe? My voice sounds weird." and Rick says "Ah it's fine." and then never mention it again, boom you have full freedom to cast whoever you want.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Uh but Ezra still gets their movie??

If shit was still private they wouldn't have cared, weird how that works with big corporation mentality.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The show is too big. There's no way they're canceling it without first trying to see if it can exist without him.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy but well-deserved. So much of his comedic DNA is in the show that it'll be weird to carve him out entirely, though.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They didn't even put him on suspension pending an investigation or anything, just straight up gone.

They knew.
Well he was charged with criminal charges. The investigation was done by the state.

This is different than sexual harrasment, which may not even be felony in some states, only really grounds for dismissal.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
'they should just cancel it'

I get the impulse (especially if Roiland will still make money off of this), but in theory this would put a lot of people out of jobs.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Wow.
I wonder if this is what Heather Anne Campbell (write for the show) was hinting at on the Get Played podcast when she said she "might have a lot of free time coming up soon".

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
That Vanity Fair video of him reviewing Rick and Morty impressions is going to bite him in the ass now, isn't it?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

If shit was still private they wouldn't have cared, weird how that works with big corporation mentality.

well yeah it's a business, this is how these things have always worked

if things were different they would be different, this situation doesn't have much to do with that situation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just cancel the show. I don't have any respect for Roiland as a voice actor or a person, but the show is so intricately tied to him that it shouldn't continue.

Keep the creative team, put them on a new show, and just wipe Roiland's stain from their network entirely.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
There was no way they were going to just cancel what's currently the biggest show that Adult Swim have going for them (not to mention how many people who hadn't done anything would be out of a job for it). Still didn't expect them to reach a decision this soon, though.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Conveniently Justin already helped them get a replacement. There was a vanity fair video with Justin reacting to impressions of characters. There was one he really liked and even gave them feedback on how to get closer to the voices.

youtu.be

Justin Roiland Reviews Rick and Morty & Solar Opposites Impressions | Vanity Fair

Justin Roiland reviews impressions of his characters from Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites. From Dan Harmon's versions of Rick and Morty to some impressive...

They dont need him, bye

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
Might as well just cancel the show, honestly.

Doesn't Roiland really only do the voices anymore and isn't involved in much of the writing? There's lots of other people working on it, I'd love to see what they come up without him. And as for the voices, Rick and Morty don't exactly have a lot of range. Dan Harmon can do the voices in a pinch, they could make the voice changes a plot point, have some fun with it and get wacky for a bit until they land on a solid recast.

Anyway fuck Justin Roiland.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder what will happen to Solar Opposites. It was pretty good and I don't know if it was because of Roiland or his co-show runner.

On topic: Harmon is talented enough to carry a good show. He already did in the past.
It's pretty shitty adult swim waited until his misconduct to become public for kicking Roiland out.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I still enjoy the show and the fucker is not that integral to the show at the moment, so i'm okay with this.

Wow.
I wonder if this is what Heather Anne Campbell (write for the show) was hinting at on the Get Played podcast when she said she "might have a lot of free time coming up soon".
You could just ask her since she posts here.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017

roiland probably created more problems for them on the day to day than Miller did. they'll toss you quick if they just don't like you, especially when you've handed over most creative duties elsewhere

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
It's time Adult Swim focused on what the people really want anyway.

download-7.jpg

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, they really cut ties with him. It was absolutely the right call. I'm just shocked they actually did it.