• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Damn that is a welcome surprise. I don't know how many of the writing was part of Roiland and I do hope they find similar voices

But I am glad it continues. I actually really like the show, too bad it had a criminal behind it so this is the best outcome

chubbpenguin

Banned
Jan 16, 2023
It's time Adult Swim focused on what the people really want anyway.

download-7.jpg

This show is so fresh and exciting, I cant wait for season 2.

I dont get people saying they should just cancel Rick and Morty. People will be able to do the voices perfectly. Just kick Roiland off (which they did) itll be fine.

JFunky

Oct 27, 2017
California
Glad they dropped him. Shouldn't be to hard to find someone that sounds close enough. Family Guy did it with Cleveland a couple of years back and the new actor sounds close enough that most people probably haven't even noticed.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I mean, they dont even need a soundalike, rick and morty is crazy enough of a show that you could have them change the voices completely and justify it in the world and then just move past it immediately.

Yup very easily this. Could make a gag out of that and just keep on rolling. "Oh damn it Rick your latest bullshit fucked up our voices" Even that paired with someone the voices as possible, they have lots of options

Oct 17, 2022
Hope it pathetically limps along long enough for the crew to find better work, then gets cancelled so he doesn't get any more money off it

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yeah kind of expected this when I found out how little he had to do with the shows writing and production. Probably not a hard voice to replicate.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the cast and crew get to do alright without him and eventually move on to a new IP. Kind of reminds me of the situation that went down with Skullgirls.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I don't consider the voice to be one of them, they'll definitely try to get someone that sounds similar
Yeah, at most I would expect a bait-and-switch with the first episode of S7 being one where their voices keep switching up via guest VAs before settling into permanent soundalikes.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Just cancel the show. I don't have any respect for Roiland as a voice actor or a person, but the show is so intricately tied to him that it shouldn't continue.

Keep the creative team, put them on a new show, and just wipe Roiland's stain from their network entirely.
I get the sentiment but it's not just the TV creative team. It's their biggest franchise, so it's going to be people working on toys, games, comics, development of spinoffs. It's going to be loads of people outside of the core creative team whose opportunity for jobs would be a few years off if they got started on developing a new IP now. And then a load of this obviously involves other companies who'd have people losing their jobs too. And the contacts with those companies, they might not be able to just shut it down without ridiculously stupid payouts. It'd just be a mess.

The amount extra they'll be paying Justin Roiland over the rest of the series will be a stupid number, but it's insignificant compared to the number of people who would inevitably lose their jobs if they just got rid of it. It's the right call to get rid of him and the right call to carry the show on imo.

Teusery

"This guy are sick"
May 18, 2022
Just cancel the show is a really privileged take if unironic...

Just stop watching the show if you can't deal without Roiland's voice?

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
deadline.com

Adult Swim Severs Ties With ‘Rick And Morty’ Co-Creator Justin Roiland After Domestic Violence Charges; Voice Roles Will Be Recast

Justin Roiland of Adult Swim's Rick and Morty is no longer in business with Warner Bros Discovery. The show will go on with a new voice for Rick.

Might as well just cancel the show, honestly.

Yeah I think this would be the best decision.
IMO it would be shitty for the talented writers, other cast, and crew who produces the show to face collective punishment because Justin Roiland seems like a piece of crap.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they're dropping him, but very curious to see how this works out without the OG voices. Is there an animated series that recast its leads like this and survived?
I'm sure there are much better examples, but uncle iroh in avatar the last Airbender was recast after his original VA died. The new guy did a respectably good job. It can be done.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Two routes they can take here:
1. Hire one of the thousands upon thousands of people who do relatively great impressions of the voices and act like none the wiser within the context of the show itself.

2. Really lean into the dumbass bullshit of the show lore, have Rick do something where their voices just completely change from some weird science thing or planet they visit or what have you, and then just accept their new voices and everyone will get used to it within' half a season or so.

The show has a ton of potential still without him, it absolutely didn't need him. Dan Harmon still being a creative on it and retaining the writing team it always had, I doubt we will truly see much of an impact beyond less of the stuttery same-voice gag we are used to.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Hulu will follow suit and do the same with Solar Opposites. I've yet to watch that, so I don't know how involved he is. With Rick and Morty, it sounds like his only responsibilities was voice work. Also, it'll be interesting if they'll patch out and replace Roiland in High on Life and cut all ties, though I think he co-owns the studio, so maybe not.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
Good.

It would be hilarious if they just killed off mainline Rick and replaced him with an alternate-reality Rick right away and just roll along with it unceremoniously. Kill off the whole family again and just swap to an entirely new one. Something like that. There's a lot of great options with the existing lore.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Unexpected. I don't imagine they'll have too much trouble finding people who can match his vocal performances, but the manic, rambling, drunken energy is going to be more difficult to replicate I think.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
That's fucking wild.

Good on Adult Swim for the swiftness. No shot they'll cancel since it's the main money maker but this will definitely hurt the show a bit.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Wow honestly pretty shocked.
They easily could do an in joke with Rick or Morty or someone on the show saying you sound a little different too.

It's weird though because Roiland has his hands in a couple of things now. Rick and Morty is obviously the biggest but I wonder about some of the other shows too.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
A little surprised, but that's good.

I first read the title as "Adult Swim cuts ties with Justin Roiland, Rick & Morty to be racist" and thought, "Huh... one of those choices is good, but the other is bad."

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see him gone, and I'm glad they're going to continue with the show. I don't think the voices themselves will be all that difficult to recast to be honest, but all the ab-lib stuff that Roiland does isn't as easily replaceable. The last season was a bit of return to form IMO, so hopefully it can keep the quality up.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not as though Roiland was a talented voice actor. His Rick and Morty can be replicated by others well enough

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Two routes they can take here:
1. Hire one of the thousands upon thousands of people who do relatively great impressions of the voices and act like none the wiser within the context of the show itself.

2. Really lean into the dumbass bullshit of the show lore, have Rick do something where their voices just completely change from some weird science thing or planet they visit or what have you, and then just accept their new voices and everyone will get used to it within' half a season or so.

The show has a ton of potential still without him, it absolutely didn't need him. Dan Harmon still being a creative on it and retaining the writing team it always had, I doubt we will truly see much of an impact beyond less of the stuttery same-voice gag we are used to.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFg1k6uhfzk

Oct 31, 2017
There were many writers who brought some great ideas and episodes last season; there's a woman on the writing staff that I think was responsible for two of my favs in Season 6. It might be weird if the voices are somewhat different, but there's quite a bit of talent outside of Roiland, so we'll see how the show does without him. Might as well try.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't think the quality of the show will suffer without Roiland and even if the show is canceled I doubt he'd be financially crippled. Dude is facing jail time anyways.