• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
dont cancel but wind the show down and put more money and time into smiling friends :)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Don't watch the show but keeping it going so nobody loses their job is the right call. Plus there's gotta be thousands of people out there that can impersonate those voices.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
I was thinking it would get cancelled so this is a nice surprise. Good on them for firing Roiland and letting the staff keep their jobs and fans keep getting new seasons of the show.

Aren't there sometimes clauses in people contracts that prevent people from continuing to get paid if they're fired for a reason like this. Do we know if something like that is happening or if Roiland will still profit from the show?

Also I wonder if they're gonna address that they have new voices with a meta joke in the season 7 premier as would be their typical style or if that would be in bad taste due to the circumstances. I guess that depends on how they'd do it.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean, they dont even need a soundalike, rick and morty is crazy enough of a show that you could have them change the voices completely and justify it in the world and then just move past it immediately.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Gonna be interesting where the show goes with him rightfully jettisoned out of there. They should cast a new celebrity every ep to do the voices in whatever impression they can make. Turn it into Pop Team Epic

Nov 27, 2017
California
I'm honestly surprised Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland don't own the IP/brand
They aren't new to Hollywood at all but I guess they didn't want to fund it themselves so they got adult swim to fund it but had to give up the rights

What a blunder because anyone can voice those Rick and Morty by now

Could even make BushWorld adventures Rick real and have Cusack voice Rick and Morty

Oct 25, 2017
Cast Steven Ogg as Rick and Micheal Cusack as Morty. Curious to see if the show bounces back. Didn't they announce 70 episodes? They were clearly confident in the shows longevity.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense.

There's only gas for about two more seasons anyway with the way the last one ended
They're still under contract for four more seasons, and with the current leadership over at WBD and their focus on liner TV and liscensing out their shows, I can totally see them dragging it over that line to 100 episodes to get the all that lucrative syndication money.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they dont even need a soundalike, rick and morty is crazy enough of a show that you could have them change the voices completely and justify it in the world and then just move past it immediately.

I don't consider the voice to be one of them, they'll definitely try to get someone that sounds similar

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
couldn't they even go further and change how the characters look or something? "here are a new rick and morty from another universe. Morty is Black in that universe."

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Glad the other cast and crew get to keep their jobs. Feels like the show was heading toward an end with Rick Prime so hopefully they can do their work justice without having to keep around an abuser.

The Wizard

Oct 25, 2017
Hope he's not continuing to profit and/or got a sizeable buyout without this. His ability to do interviews in public after paying $50k cash bail on felony charges is uncomfortable to think about.
Glad the non shitty people who work on this won't be put out by his actions.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad they cut him. Though can't imagine there's much of a future for Rick & Morty.

Not that I care, I've been wanting that show to burn since the incest jokes.

'they should just cancel it'

I get the impulse (especially if Roiland will still make money off of this), but in theory this would put a lot of people out of jobs.

Bring back the GOAT Adult Swim show instead and hire them on.

MV5BMTAwMzg5OTEwODJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDgzOTU4MDMx._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
It's easy to recast to be honest. Just kill the current R&M and a new set comes but they are voiced different as everyone has Jerry's voice in their universe.

Oct 29, 2017
There are plenty of people who can do a Roiland impression that's indiscernible from the real thing.

I'd say it's a bummer they're not just canning it, but there's a lot of really talented hard working people involved in every level of production that don't deserve to lose their jobs just because the one shithead who burps into a microphone ended up being a monster.

The show is definitely going to tackle it head on. They won't try to pretend nothing happened.

They might even go with completely different voices too. The premise of the show lets them do anything and the whole meta attitude vibes perfectly with that.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Quicker than I expected. I don't think the show will be able to live long without 'em, but I understand them trying to keep it going. I'm glad they took action and didn't try and like, suspend him or anything while they "conducted an investigation" or something. They just did it, and that's the right thing to do. Credit where credit is due.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pop Team Epic the characters he did, new random VAs for each episode. Not like this show has serious lore.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
There is literally this dude on tiktok that sounds exactly like him. He'll probably get the job.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
It's easy to recast to be honest. Just kill the current R&M and a new set comes but they are voiced different as everyone has Jerry's voice in their universe.

The show would lose 6 seasons of traction as a lot of people are invested in the C-137 version of Rick and Morty's story & character development. If anything they could just hand wave it off with some sci fi reason why their voices are different. Or just get someone who has a really accurate impersonation and don't even address it at all.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched since the end of Season 4 due to no Netflix, so my uninformed take is to swing the show to being centered on Summer.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
This is the correct decision in every way tbh.

Creatively, Rick and Morty are so much more than Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland. They've passed the baton to younger writers in the last two years and the show has IMPROVED for it. It's a good show that can continue to be a good show without that fucking creep around. As for the voices, Rick and Morty are so distinctive and cartoony that a well-cast replacement will barely be noticeable. Like Cleveland on Family Guy or Missy on Big Mouth.

Jan 29, 2018
Never really watched the show but I'm glad they're recasting. I like the idea of showing these people they're replaceable.