Readler

Oct 6, 2018
This is a good idea, honestly.
I'm not sure I agree with everyone telling me to avoid games with camera control like the plague.
That would have been my idea as well. I did that with my uncle once and he loved it - TLOU really just hooks you in like few games do.

Also, I dunno man, while I do think he genuinely wants to get into video games, I'm sure his main reason to play them is to connect with you, so how about you two just sit together and play through a game like you would watch a movie together? And just take turns kinda where you give him the controller and help him through easier sections?

In any case I'd go with a linear game. RDR2 is a massive, overwhelming game. The story alone can cake up about 40h, add the side quests, the hunting, exploration, and imo that's just much at once for someone who's never played a game before. There's also just so many mechanics at play. Go with an Uncharted or The Last of Us, which have simpler gameplay loops.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Good luck I hope it helps with you two getting closer. Honestly I'm not too sure what to recommend to introduce him to gaming, as I don't think my suggestion of a fighting game or metal gear solid would be much help. Outside of that then there's co-op shooters or driving games. idk anything more about your dad so cant really speculate specifics

But like if you want it to be close to a movie like experience and with the games you've thought of maybe you playing and him watching might be more what you're after as a starting point?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Personally I would stop emphasizing what a commitment games are. Doesn't really sound fun when you're being told repeatedly that's it's going to be an extended chore that you're obligated to complete.

Also, I wouldn't worry about 'bridging the gap between games and cinema.' In my experience games that are unique experiences stand out far more to non-gamers then games that mimic movies. For example, my own dad had no interest in games whatsoever for the longest time, but once when I was in high school he came in my room and saw me playing SimCity on my laptop and started asking about it. We installed it on our office desktop and he got really into it. Meanwhile I feel like if I tried to get him into RDR he'd often just think "Why do I need to go through the motions of playing the game parts of this, I just want to see the story." There's a lot of things you start taking for granted if you've been playing games your whole life, and constantly walking between mission start points only to be directed to go on another long walk once you get there isn't interesting to many people.

As others have said I would be very hesitant to start with something as complicated as RDR too, it's going to take some time for a completely new player to wrap their heads around controlling the character and the camera, another thing that's easy to take for granted if you've been gaming for your whole life. And personally I disagree with the idea of playing an RPG and letting your dad make the decisions, that sounds boring as hell and sounds like a horrible way of trying to get your dad to appreciate why you like games. I guess you'd just remind him every now and again how much you're having fun actually playing?

If your dad has any interests or hobbies that are represented by games I would start with that. Is he into cars? Forza Horizon would probably be fun, and would be much simpler control-wise. If he's into a sport see if the associated game has some kind of easy/ simple mode. And again, I would strongly suggest games that offer something unique to start with. SimCity, Civ, Xcom, games like that will be easier to grasp the controls of and will also be far more effective in getting your dad to see what it is about games that interest you. "Wow, you really have to think to play this thing" vs "Why is this movie interspersed with all these tedious walking segments." YMMV but something to consider. I also wouldn't worry about starting him off easy with regards to anything other then controls, most games are fairly simple and an adult will able to figure out puzzles and mechanics. In fact that's typically one of the more enjoyable aspects of playing a new game, and deliberately choosing something simple again just isn't a great way to introduce someone to what makes games interesting.

This is a good idea, honestly.
I'm not sure I agree with everyone telling me to avoid games with camera control like the plague.

Try it then. But don't be surprised when you hand him the controller and he misses all of the set pieces in TLOU's opening because the camera is wildly oscillating between the floor and sky. I've introduced a few people to games and they always seem to avoid moving the camera until it's necessary, so in a third-person game they'll walk around with the camera fixed in place a lot of the time.

Again, it's very easy to take for granted how easy it is to independently control a character and a camera when you've been doing it for years. You need to decide how much time during your dad's initial sessions you want him to be practicing controls vs. actually experiencing the game.

If I'm pushing him to play a game I've never played before, much less a game I don't love, it would defeat the point a little, no?

It depends, is the idea to try to get your dad to appreciate why you like games in general, or why you like one specific game? The former would be a lot easier to achieve, and might get your dad into gaming as a whole. You're most likely to end up disappointed if you're dead set on the latter. Imagine your dad had never watched a movie and you wanted to introduce him to one. Would it be better to say "Hey, you really like Star Trek and sci-fi novels and love comedy so let's check out Starship Troopers" or "I know you're really into WW2 so let's watch Saving Private Ryan", or "I'm not really into anything you like and I love Jim Carrey, so here's The Mask." Personally I would prioritize thing like ease of controls and your dad's interests over your own preferences. If your dad shows continued interest in games you can always introduce him to your favorites down the road.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Adventuring the world of RDR2 is a great start imo. I wouldn't start a new game, it's simply to long.
Horseriding and walking is pretty easy in that game even for beginners. He will be amazed by all the detail trust me.

Detroit Become Human is a great choice based scifi film. You can't go wrong with that one.

Death Stranding (if you own it) is a scifi masterpiece. The first two hours are an amazing introduction to show off.

Last edited:

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
A co-op run through Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons could be a good shout. You'll get to experience it together, it doesn't take too long, and the controls are pretty easy to pick up if you're playing co-op.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
RDR2 is also way too long.

Until Dawn is a good option if he's into horror movies at all, because it'll feel way more familiar. He'll fail all of the QuickTime events because he won't know what onscreen prompt belongs to which button, but that's ok.

The Uncharted games are very cinematic and familiar, so tend to appeal to non-gamers. The controls will be a struggle though.

How about Firewatch? Seems like easy to play with a mature story
I haven't played it, but from what I've heard, this might actually be the best option.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
Action adventure games are bread and butter for traditional gamers, but I don't think that they are good entry points due to the complexity of the controls and the emphasis decent reflexes.

I know that the objective here is to find a game common between OP and their father, but maybe something more in the Civilization / Xcom / Banner Saga direction would be more appropriate. (I may be stereotyping...)

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Are we operating under the assumption he's never played a game in his life? Then a lot of things you take for granted OP things as simple as using a stick to move a camera or knowing what to hit when it prompts for the (X) button will not come naturally at first and be a source of frustration.

I would not start with Red Dead Redemption. It's not WW2 but I think the story of Cod Black Ops would work to get him interested get the Wii version and play on the lowest difficulty.
81-f%2BgVFADL._SL1500_.jpg

On an rails shooter may be an even better option there are 2 great on rails Resident Evil games on the Wii and those are co-op.
Resident_Evil_The_Umbrella_Chronicles__65793.1452631523.jpg

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
If you want something less cinematic and a bit more traditional I highly recommend Shadowrun Dragonfall.

-Shadowrun Collection currently free via EGS.
-Strength in writing and characterization.
-Isometric, party based, turn based combat RPG. No need to worry about controls or reflex based gameplay as much.
-Relatively short experience for RPG standards. Main story being about 20hrs.

Shadowrun universe
Fictional future where magic awakens in our world. Bringing fantasy in to mix with some cyberpunk.
Dragonfall takes place in fictional Berlin. There are some references but it is mostly for flavour.
Plenty of familiarity. Guns. Cybernetic enhancements. Tolkien like fantasy races such as Elves, Orcs, Goblins etc. The twist is that these are "meta-humans" or they are humans who reacted to the awakening of magic with mutations. So while they have racial differences one of the key things is that ultimately, we were all from the same place in the past.
There are some darker themes, organ harvesting, racism, addiction, mind control etc. Some of it is fairly relateable even with the fantasy twists.

Game isn't really a looker though.
jp3Wzq2.jpg

If you haven't played this and it sounds like something you might like you could both play and talk about it together.

I personally think there are a few things you should consider beyond just the game. Your dad wanting to get into a game and enjoying the medium or mostly just the desire to bond?

If there is a desire to explore the medium then I would put more effort into finding something he can enjoy and expand on. If the latter then focus on something you can get through but also talk about. There are a lot of games that I really enjoy but I also note that some games I tend not to really enjoy discussing even if I would recommend them wholeheartedly. Also, I typically don't enjoy talking about game mechanics unless both myself and the other person is quite invested or just in very casual referencing type conversation. It just doesn't lead to productive conversations with me. Cinematic games such as TLOU or narrative games however you can always fall back on talking about characters, drama, set pieces, emotions etc.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
If you haven't played this and it sounds like something you might like you could both play and talk about it together.

That's a really great point too, experiencing something for the first time together will give you a lot more to talk about. Right after my dad started getting into games we both played Telltale's Walking Dead game and it was really fun to talk about what we had done different, what we thought of different characters, etc.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Ultimately, I would be able to stand by and watch. The times he would be able to play are the times I would be available.

This sounds like a trap tbh.

It can be frustrating to play and play poorly while others observe. Being there to help might not be something he actually likes depending on how things go. Remember that it can be frustrating to watch people play badly. It can be frustrating to watch people struggle with control. If you're not a patient person, this can be more damaging and turn the whole thing off for the both of you, no matter what the game is. Just be aware of that going in. If you're learning something, especially a video game where you're focusing on controls and what is on the screen you may be overloading if you want to add conversation/banter/bonding experience on top. These are worth considering too.

Considering this, I would probably pick a selection of games and see what it he is interested in. I would set it up as a sessions over time kind of like a father-son night. Maybe even pick something light hearted.... Does he like South Park humour? >_>

What are your thoughts on mobile games OP? The Banner Saga. Stardew Valley. This War Is Mine. Oxenfree.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I know you said cinematic but I recommend Streets of Rage 4.
Put it on easy and play together. The game isn't hard to understand has very little inputs (still a deep game though).

I am very confident he will enjoy it. You two can bond a lot when playing co op.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
So, to start off, my father is mid-fifties-ish.

This is interesting. If he's 55, that means he was born in 1965. So this is where he falls on the videogame timeline:

1977 (12 years old): The Atari VCS/2600 launches

1981 (15 years old): Golden age of Arcades- Pac Man fever becomes a top 10 hit in 1982.

1985 (19 years old): NES is released in the US.

1989 (24 years old): The Sega Genesis Releases in the US. The Game Boy is released in the US. Tetris becomes a hit.

1990 (25 years old): Street Fighter II hits arcades, laundromats, convenience stores, pretty much anywhere with 3 cubic feet of space to stick a machine. John Madden Football releases for the Genesis.

1991 (26 years old): The Super Nintendo is released in the US

1992 (27 years old): Wolfenstein 3D released for PCs. Mortal Kombat appears in arcades.

1995 (30 years old): The Sony Playstation is released in the US to the delight of gamers everywhere. The Virtual Boy is released in the US, to the delight of optometrists everywhere.

1998 (33 years old): Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 2 release in the US

1999 (34 years old): Sega Dreamcast releases in the united states with Soul Calibur

2000 (35 years old): The Playstation 2 releases in the US.

2001 (36 years old): The Xbox releases in the US with Halo. The Gamecube releases in the US. Grand Theft Auto III releases in the US.

2005 (40 years old): The Xbox 360 releases in the US

2006 (41 years old): The Playstation 3 and Nintendo Wii release in the US.

This is a guy that has grown up with video games as part of the culture most of his adult life. I'd ask him what he already has exposure to and work from there. Also recommending a cowboy simulator to someone who watches a lot of Sci-Fi seems like an odd call.

I'd second the call for Detroit: Become Human and What Remains of Edith Finch if he really has NO exposure to games at all. If he does, Horizon: Zero Dawn. If he has a stomach for Horror then TLOU or The Evil Within are worth a look. Maybe Control?

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I think you've got to go in the opposite direction, honestly. You're a lot more likely to get excitement and genuine bonding out of him with something like Mario Kart than a long story-heavy game.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Assuming he can drive then I'd recommend a driving game over anything else to start with. 3D camera is tricky if you're not familair with controlling it and 2D platformers, etc tend to be reflex/skill orientated.

Anyone who can drive in my experience can quickly pick up a driving game even if they've never held a gamepad before. If you have a split screen option then that would be a lot of fun with him I'd imagine. You can expand from there into various 2D and 3D games if he's up for it.