plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Bringing up brain development at all is an excuse for this, whether that was your intention or not. It's a bad look.
I can only hold my hands up here and apologies because conversations like this need 100% clarity and my post definitely came over badly. I thought the discussion was focused on how strict the punishment should be, and didn't consider how that post might look.

Since he had never acknowledged or apologized for these comments previously I fully agree he needed to be punished for his offensive comments on that podcast, no matter his age, or how long ago it was.

AEW have been stricter than I expected they would be, and I'm glad they didn't just try and downplay things, or give him a slap on the wrist.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

Good.

I figured he was going to get suspended. AEW ends up looking bad because 1) they didn't do their research before signing him and 2) Sammy never even disclosed to them what hurtful comments he said that will bite back at him and the company.

I'm surprised but very happy to see this. I thought he'd do the apology and then try to move on.

This gives AEW the chance to investigate and find out if there are any other incidents that need to come to light before Sammy can be allowed back on TV.

If they find a pattern of comments or other actions then he'll be gone.

AEW should've done background checks on him & his social media accounts from the start.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Incredibly disappointing

Glad that AEW took swift action

Nov 2, 2017
wait i'm out of the loop, what happened with hager? is he just like a trump guy or something?

More than that, but, yes, that's part of it. Transphobic piece of shit. There's a story that came out in all of this that doesn't name Hager but gives enough detail that people have been able to determine it pretty much has to be Hager. Happened at Summerslam 2013 with a married wrestler who now works for AEW and who the person involved had run into a handful of times on the indies since, Hager's basically the only person who matches all criteria. Also someone who was at the same thing tweeted her and mentioned the unnamed person, in the form of "**** *****".

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I can only hold my hands up here and apologies because conversations like this need 100% clarity and my post definitely came over badly. I thought the discussion was focused on how strict the punishment should be, and didn't consider how that post might look.

Since he had never acknowledged or apologized for these comments previously I fully agree he needed to be punished for his offensive comments on that podcast, no matter his age, or how long ago it was.

AEW have been stricter than I expected they would be, and I'm glad they didn't just try and downplay things, or give him a slap on the wrist.
I appreciate the clarification, I guess I'm just confused as to why maturity and brain development was brought into the conversation in the first place. Not looking for a fight. Just trying to understand what you were getting at. Those comments are still there after your edit..
I don't know if I can look at him the same if he comes back.
I'm all for people changing and do believe it's possible, but I'm glad there are at least current consequences for what he's said. Him apparently liking a tweet that excuses the whole thing doesn't inspire much confidence though.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I appreciate the clarification, I guess I'm just confused as to why maturity and brain development was brought into the conversation in the first place. Not looking for a fight. Just trying to understand what you were getting at. Those comments are still there after your edit.
If I'm weighing up how strict his punishment should be, how mature he was when he made the comments is the kind of thing I'd factor in. Stricter if he'd said them more recently, less strict if he'd said them in his teens. But I'm not a judge deciding how strict the sentence should be for someone we all agree on is guilty. You thought firing was appropriate, I think suspension without pay is about right, factoring that kind of thing in.

But it's on me to convey any nuance when we're talking about things like this, and I absolutely didn't. And failing an ability to do it, I should probably save those thoughts to myself.

I'm glad they've taken these steps. I hope more performers see punishments, and if there's any truth to the other allegations, I'm hoping for stricter (and I've been wanting them to fire Hager since they hired him).

I didn't want to edit all those comments out and leave our exchanges making zero sense. You were right to call out my post, and I want that to remain clear for anyone else.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
To be clear on the timeline of this, he liked the tweet in question hours before his apology, and unliked it shortly before posting his apology. Presumably after talking to Sasha Banks. It's extremely unlikely given that, that he hit it by accident.
Not that I think you're intentionally lying and I could be wrong myself but I'm confident this isn't true, I was pretty much checking his Twitter every 30 minutes for any new activity and never caught that tweet being liked

Edit: I'm mainly disputing the "hours" part of your comment it's entirely possible he had it liked for a good amount of time and I just missed it but "hours" seems impossible to me

Last edited:

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Not that I think you're intentionally lying and I could be wrong myself but I'm confident this isn't true, I was pretty much checking his Twitter every 30 minutes for any new activity and never caught that tweet being liked

Edit: I'm mainly disputing the "hours" part of your comment it's entirely possible he had it liked for a good amount of time and I just missed it but "hours" seems impossible to me
I think I completely misunderstood the '6 hours ago' part on the tweet, and that that was when the tweet was posted, not when he 'liked' it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If I'm weighing up how strict his punishment should be, how mature he was when he made the comments is the kind of thing I'd factor in. Stricter if he'd said them more recently, less strict if he'd said them in his teens. But I'm not a judge deciding how strict the sentence should be for someone we all agree on is guilty. You thought firing was appropriate, I think suspension without pay is about right, factoring that kind of thing in.

But it's on me to convey any nuance when we're talking about things like this, and I absolutely didn't. And failing an ability to do it, I should probably save those thoughts to myself.

I'm glad they've taken these steps. I hope more performers see punishments, and if there's any truth to the other allegations, I'm hoping for stricter (and I've been wanting them to fire Hager since they hired him).

I didn't want to edit all those comments out and leave our exchanges making zero sense. You were right to call out my post, and I want that to remain clear for anyone else.
A few things here. First, it's important to not conflate consequences with "punishment" in the context of legality/using words like "guilty" and especially, in the context of a "judge". We're talking about social consequences. I believe there is enough there to fire him, but I can understand others making arguments that suspension and reevaluation as being sufficient, for now. I don't agree though, because I think this coupled with his "she's black, fuck her" comment is enough.

Also he made these comments in 2016 (only 4 years ago) and was not a teen, in fact.. apparently old enough to buy alcohol in the US.

The part of your post that rubs me wrong, to be clear:
People mature a lot in their twenties, AFAIK. Your brain hasn't finished fully developing until your mid to late twenties. As I said in the wrestling thread, 21 is plenty old enough to know better, and he should absolutely be held accountable for what he said espescially given that he hadn't previously talked about and apologized for comments like this, but if you think people are as mature as they're ever going to get at the age of 21, that just isn't the case.
The bolded negates the underlined. So I'm just not sure why it's still being said. Again, I'm not trying to fight with you, but I think it's important that we're not providing excuses for these kinds of comments, especially given the context. And I don't believe anyone is making this argument, at least I haven't seen it

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always amazed that people don't think these kinda remarks won't come back to haunt them. Of course, what is the culture wherein people can make rape remarks and say the N-word with even a slight feeling that it's not amiss to do? And that latter issue goes much, much beyond wrestling.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
The Inner Circle having not one but two outted racist members who are accused of sexual assault is... worrying.

Jericho is questionable on the first one as well.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am fucking shocked, because no matter how much of a deep asshole he was as a heel, he seemed like a solid human being when out of the role. I was agreeing hard with Matt Hardy when he called him the future of AEW, which makes all of this very fucking disappointing because I had hopes of success for the guy.

What a fucking shame this is. At least the AEW seems to handle it the best way they can, but this shit could've been found in an exhaustive background check before throwing him in front of an audience, too.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
The Inner Circle having not one but two outted racist members who are accused of sexual assault is... worrying.

Jericho is questionable on the first one as well.

I was an acquaintance of one of the other two members (Ortiz), and the only thing that I could say negatively about him was that during a party he was drunk out of his mind and was trying to drive away. One of his friends and me were the ones that stopped him. It didn't get physical or anything. He sat down and just kinda complained a bit in a very drunken stupor.

Outside of that, dude was one of the most liked people in our backyard wrestling crew.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
A few things here. First, it's important to not conflate consequences with "punishment" in the context of legality/using words like "guilty" and especially, in the context of a "judge". We're talking about social consequences. I believe there is enough there to fire him, but I can understand others making arguments that suspension and reevaluation as being sufficient, for now. I don't agree though, because I think this coupled with his "she's black, fuck her" comment is enough.

Also he made these comments in 2016 (only 4 years ago) and was not a teen, in fact.. apparently old enough to buy alcohol in the US.

The part of your post that rubs me wrong, to be clear:

The bolded negates the underlined. So I'm just not sure why it's still being said. Again, I'm not trying to fight with you, but I think it's important that we're not providing excuses for these kinds of comments, especially given the context. And I don't believe anyone is making this argument, at least I haven't seen it
I hold him fully culpable for his actions. I just think it's fair to consider how mature he was when he made them when weighing up what's an appropriate punishment for them and whether or not it makes sense to think he might be capable of growth.

We don't have to agree on whether that should be a consideration, but I hope you at least understand where I was trying to come at this from.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hold him fully culpable for his actions. I just think it's fair to consider how mature he was when he made them when weighing up what's an appropriate punishment for them and whether or not it makes sense to think he might be capable of growth.

We don't have to agree on whether that should be a consideration, but I hope you at least understand where I was trying to come at this from.
I can see your argument that maybe he shouldn't be outright fired (even if I disagree), but I don't really understand the brain development/maturity angle when dude was 21 years old and was as soon as 4 years ago. I don't think we have confirmation, but apparently he liked and then unliked a tweet that basically said "I just thought she was hot and you're getting offended for no reason". Which was as soon as hours/a day ago

And again, I fully believe that people can change and grow. But there are people much older than him to say the same and worse on a regular basis. I don't think his age and his comments being from 2016 should be much if any of a factor to consider.

I do hope he genuinely believes his past comments were wrong though and does want to be better.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I was an acquaintance of one of the other two members (Ortiz), and the only thing that I could say negatively about him was that during a party he was drunk out of his mind and was trying to drive away. One of his friends and me were the ones that stopped him. It didn't get physical or anything. He sat down and just kinda complained a bit in a very drunken stupor.

Outside of that, dude was one of the most liked people in our backyard wrestling crew.

That's good to hear. The attempt to drive drunk isn't great, but you stopped him thankfully.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
That's good to hear. The attempt to drive drunk isn't great, but you stopped him thankfully.

FWIW though, that was a bit over a decade ago now. After I stopped doing backyard wrestling, I didn't really keep up with most of the people in the crew, so I can only speak for what I saw of him at that time.