• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This is great reading for anyone debating the positive/negative impact of US intervention in the lives of Aghan women:

www.newyorker.com

The Other Afghan Women

In the countryside, the endless killing of civilians turned women against the occupiers who claimed to be helping them.

Most, if not all, gains for women's rights excluded the war-torn countryside, where civilian women (and men, and children) were killed by the US/coalition forces and Afghan Army regularly.

I didn't read this article yet and just what the fuck.

Tart Toter 9K

Oct 25, 2017
Lol @ using the excuse that the US invades other countries to "liberate their women and children".
That country can't even save its own kids from getting shot at schools!

Clean out your own back yard first.

We'll gladly accept help from civilized countries.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might get banned for metacommentary or whatever, but I really hate the fact that a long time user from a developing country that has been seriously damaged by USA imperialistic intervention behaviour got banned for "hostility" when he's in the complete right to being heated up by people in this thread justifying invasion by imperialistic world police country, the same country that completely fucked over others, including the aforementioned banned user's.

All of that while the user who can't stop arguing for the USA's invasion gets off scot free.

Really show your priorities here. This is one of the reasons why BrazilEra has been driven away and now living only in Discord. And I can assure you BrazilEra is not the last region community who has been driven away like that.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I might get banned for metacommentary or whatever, but I really hate the fact that a long time user from a developing country that has been seriously damaged by USA imperialistic intervention behaviour got banned for "hostility" when he's in the complete right to being heated up by people in this thread justifying invasion by imperialistic world police country, the same country that completely fucked over others, including the aforementioned banned user's.

All of that while the user who can't stop arguing for the USA's invasion gets off scot free.

Really show your priorities here. This is one of the reasons why BrazilEra has been driven away and now living only in Discord. And I can assure you BrazilEra is not the last region community who has been driven away like that.

Well said. Moderation on the site often suffer from a variety of biases.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

Role of moderation shouldn't be to decide who won an argument and ban the loser

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Role of moderation shouldn't be to decide who won an argument and ban the loser
When your role is banning the opressed for speaking up against the opressor's invasion's mouthpiece, you've taken a side.

Or are people justifying USA's invasion that destroyed countries and killed dozens of thousands of innocent lives, immune to moderation because of "civilized" words and not swearing? Thus making it not hostility and instead an "argument".

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
When your role is banning the opressed for speaking up against the opressor's invasion's mouthpiece, you've taken a side.

Or are people justifying USA's invasion immune because of "civilized" words and not swearing, thus making it not hostility and instead an argument?
One side was logically making an argument and bringing in primary sources; the other (or at least the one who got banned, anyway) wasn't making an argument at all, instead just getting angry. No one is allowed to talk about historical facts (as per the aforementioned primary sources) or push back against unpopular preconceptions? Anyone who makes constructed arguments that lay out the strategic rationale of "an oppressor" on the scale of geopolitics gets banned?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One side was logically making an argument and bringing in primary sources; the other (or at least the one who got banned, anyway) wasn't making an argument at all, instead just getting angry. No one is allowed to talk about historical facts (as per the aforementioned primary sources) or push back against unpopular preconceptions? Anyone who makes constructed arguments in favor of "an oppressor" on the scale of geopolitics gets banned? Absurd.
What is logical to you? Bringing sources to justify their claim that "look, the USA intervention that destroyed thousands and thousands of life was justified at first, okay?". Pretty words and sources to justify their imperialistic behaviour is NOT something to be proud of. And when someone that suffered at the hands of the USA gets heated up by this person who's almost doing PR for the USA government, they are banned because of "hurr I'm angry"?

We've been through this rodeo, people who can see through USA's bullshit government and invasions are TIRED of people justifying for their world police, of their behaviours, of their invasions. We are not welcome unless we accept "nuh uh uh, you can't throw swear words here! Try making your argument!" when the last 5 pages have been of people trying to arguing with the poster defending the USA. Who do you think is at fault? The pretty words defending USA's behaviour, or the poster who has suffered from USA's behaviour getting angry after almost everything seems to fail to reach the other poster defending the USA?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
What is logical to you? Bringing sources to justify their claim that "look, the USA intervention that destroyed thousands and thousands of life was justified at first, okay?". Pretty words and sources to justify their imperialistic behaviour is NOT something to be proud of. And when someone that suffered at the hands of the USA gets heated up by this person who's almost doing PR for the USA government, they are banned because of "hurr I'm angry"?

We've been through this rodeo, people who can see through USA's bullshit government and invasions are TIRED of people justifying for their world police, of their behaviours, of their invasions. We are not welcome unless we accept "nuh uh uh, you can't throw swear words here! Try making your argument!" when the last 5 pages have been of people trying to arguing with the poster defending the USA. Who do you think is at fault? The pretty words defending USA's behaviour, or the poster who has suffered from USA's behaviour getting angry after almost everything seems to fail to reach the other poster defending the USA?
Yes, bringing in sources that back up their claims is logical. If someone thinks it's not convincing, they can say why. Or get angry, sure, they can do that too. But to ban the person who made the argument because of the side they took? This is like, one step away from "anyone who references the law to point out the flaws in the Rittenhouse prosecution should be banned". If you want to try to set up rules based on the comparative weights of emotional burdens, well, sure, but not me.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, bringing in sources that back up their claims is logical. If someone think it's not convincing, they can say why. Or get angry, sure, they can do that too. But to ban the person who made the argument because of the side they took? This is like, one step away from "anyone who references the law to point out the flaws in the Rittenhouse prosecution should be banned".
Alright, since you made a insane comparison and probably can't understand my point, I'll throw this out to you:

I can bring sources and make arguments that justify 9/11, does that make it good? No. Will that get me banned? Yes.

I can bring sources and make arguments to justify USA invasions, does that make it good? Apparently so. Will that get me banned? No.

Just because someone is bringing sources and pretty words it's now suddenly okay? And when someone who has been victim of the invasions/interventions before gets heated up by these pretty words that comes from the same government that used those pretty words before to justify their invasions and interventions to countless other countries, that destroyed countless of lives and made everyone miserable (with the exception of the USA of course) it's now not okay?

The message is basically:
Justifying USA's wars? 👍
Getting angry at those justifying USA's wars? 👎

Last edited:

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, we're (the USA) the ones who caused all that instability. Destroyed infrastructure, poisoned drinking water, bombed, shot and slaughtered people indiscriminately. Like, of course our lasting mark would be making kids go hungry.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

The aftermath of the invasion and the justification for doing the invasion are two completely different things.

No one defended the atrocities committed by the US or are shielding criticism of them by saying the invasion was justified.

"The US had justification to invade Afghanistan" is just that. Stop trying to tie future actions to the initial. If you can't agree with that then it's literally just going to go in circles because you want to argue something the initial poster never claimed.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
The aftermath of the invasion and the justification for doing the invasion are two completely different things.

No one defended the atrocities committed by the US or are shielding criticism of them by saying the invasion was justified.

"The US had justification to invade Afghanistan" is just that. Stop trying to tie future actions to the initial. If you can't agree with that then it's literally just going to go in circles because you want to argue something the initial poster never claimed.
Hate chimming in with takes but

Oh I'm sure a country as rich and influential such as the US had no other reasonable alternatives besides raiding a whole country in the several instances it needed to "defend" from the foreign threats. That would make these actions justifiable, there's nothing else that could be done.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

An war on terror with the basis being revenge and blood IS tied to the future outcome that had countless of innocent lives lost and instability all over the region. To deny that is to be naive.

But I'm not talking about just that, I'm talking about people justifying for their world police meddling with the countries around the globe. This is not just about Afghanistan. Brazil's 1964 coup had a lot of USA meddling behind the scenes and just like many other places in the world. The USA have a history of meddling with other countries affair and leaving them in a worse state than before. And when someone tries to justify this bullshit and you ask us, the explored people of this bullshit USA government to act calm, you might as well spit on our faces since it's almost the same thing.

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

That is some disgusting moderation.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Hate chimming in with takes but

Oh I'm sure a country as rich and influential such as the US had no other reasonable alternatives besides raiding a whole country in the several instances it needed to "defend" from the foreign threats. That would make these actions justifiable, there's nothing else that could be done.
What does the US do to catch Bin Laden and break up Al Qaeda? Hope and pray the Taliban do it themselves? No one has been able to actually argue that.

After Al Qaeda was done and Bin Laden fled, we should've been done with Afghanistan. We didn't stop and no one besides the Bush admin and war hawks agreed with it.

An war on terror with the basis being revenge and blood IS tied to the future outcome that had countless of innocent lives lost and instability all over the region. To deny that is to be naive.

But I'm not talking about just that, I'm talking about people justifying for their world police meddling with the countries around the globe. This is not just about Afghanistan. Brazil's 1964 coup had a lot of USA meddling behind the scenes and just like many other places in the world. The USA have a history of meddling with other countries affair and leaving them in a worse state than before. And when someone tries to justify this bullshit and you ask us, the explored people of this bullshit USA government to act calm, you might as well spit on our faces since it's almost the same thing.
No one is justifying the actions of anything you bring up. That's the issue here.

The invasion of Afghanistan was tied directly to 9/11. An action is met with a response. The US went into Afghanistan for that reason. What it does after that is where I think everyone here agrees is wrong.

If you think the US shouldn't have gone into Afghanistan to deal with Al Qaeda and catch Bin Laden, then I don't know what you think should've happened.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think the US shouldn't have gone into Afghanistan to deal with Al Qaeda and catch Bin Laden, then I don't know what you think should've happened.
This is exactly the problem. Every solution is met with "invade", "intervention". If none of the things I already said can get through you, then nothing will. You clearly miss the point and are repeating the rhethoric that drives away every user from this forum that isn't from NA or western Europe. I have nothing more to add.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
This is exactly the problem. Every solution is met with "invade", "intervention". If none of the things I already said can get through you, then nothing will. You clearly miss the point and are repeating the rhethoric that drives away every user from this forum that isn't from NA or western Europe. I have nothing more to add.
I think you mean the only solution offered to the problem of what to day on 9/12 is "invade" or "intervention". Frankly, the only alternative I've seen is to trust the Taliban with their questionable offer to turn him over to a different country if we present "evidence". I doubt Bush makes it a day before he's impeached or Amendment XXVed if he took that up. Nobody in this topic seems to think we should have been in Afghanistan in 2002, but noone wants to talk about the alternatives before then.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Taliban disagrees with you. Should we give them money?
Strange hill to argue from, considering the prior Afghan government we were giving money to was also killing civilians.

I'm not arguing that the Taliban is better but I am saying that the US clearly has its own contradictions in how it distributes aid and "killing civilians" is not a primary determining factor.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Coups to advance democracy and an invasion in response to an attack are different. Seriously, be angry at the US and the world police system, but how else does a country respond to 9/11? Does the US not get to? Any talks about cooperating with the Taliban have been debunked by BossAttack and nothing has been given as reasonable alternatives.

I've read all your posts this page and you're coming from a place that thinks any of us here are basically pushing US propaganda, or rather that because we don't view the US's initial response as unjustified, we advocate for full on imperialism and bloodshed of innocents. We aren't blind and just take the info fed to us, we are critical of the US. The damage caused by the US to the Afghan people was not the only course of action the US could've taken IMO. The Bush admin took it way too far beyond reasonable measures.

And there's this from before

I can bring sources and make arguments that justify 9/11, does that make it good? No. Will that get me banned? Yes.

I don't know if this actually happened on here before but if you want to go off and argue America had 9/11 coming and can do it constructively, why would you get banned? All that you even need to say is that because of the actions the US took in the Middle East, the destabilization attempts, arming the mujahideen against the Soviets, that cascaded into 9/11. Doesn't make you the devil that you presented a report on prior events and the build up to something later. It's how we learn from history.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
No one is justifying the actions of anything you bring up. That's the issue here.

The invasion of Afghanistan was tied directly to 9/11. An action is met with a response. The US went into Afghanistan for that reason. What it does after that is where I think everyone here agrees is wrong.
I don't think it's possible to cleanly separate justifying the invasion from justifying the fallout, though. The damage done was not unfathomable given the actors involved and the history surrounding American interventions. So I find it hard to think that someone believing that an invasion was necessary wouldn't also (implicitly) have decided that the inevitable collateral was ultimately an acceptable risk.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
That is some disgusting moderation.
🙄

Plenty of people have strongly disagreed with that poster and engaged in discussion with him without resorting to grossly misrepresenting him as some bloodthirsty warhawk hellbent on defending atrocities (as he was doing nothing of the sort) and they haven't been banned either. One poster took it way too far and got a fairly mild ban. You don't have carte blanche to be excessively vitriolic just because you think you are in the right, that's just silly.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this actually happened on here before but if you want to go off and argue America had 9/11 coming and can do it constructively, why would you get banned? All that you even need to say is that because of the actions the US took in the Middle East, the destabilization attempts, arming the mujahideen against the Soviets, that cascaded into 9/11. Doesn't make you the devil that you presented a report on prior events and the build up to something later. It's how we learn from history.
www.resetera.com

Do you think the US was justified in invading Afghanistan after 9/11?

Simple question for this English speaking gaming and political forum.

This wasn't even justifying 9/11. Imagine if I were to create a thread like that. Would probably be banned and insta locked.

Also, I really don't have the strengths to argue with you all, but Intelligence Warfare is a thing. There are options aside from INVADING and destroying a country. Take a fucking look at Russia, USA's sworn enemy. They are disgusting in all account, but how do they deal with individual enemies? Killing them in a secret operation and later on reporting "They jumped out of a window". Did they had to invade and ravage an entire country to get to their individual enemy? No. (I'm excluding Ukraine and other prior soviet countries here because that's a whole another can of worms)

The point I'm trying to say, is that all of you have been sold by the US propaganda that WAR is the only solution. That ravaging and directly interfering with entire countries is the only way for people to see "FREEDOM!" because that's the "MURICA" way of life.

And it's disgusting.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
🙄

Plenty of people have strongly disagreed with that poster and engaged in discussion with him without resorting to grossly misrepresenting him as some bloodthirsty warhawk hellbent on defending atrocities (as he was doing nothing of the sort) and they haven't been banned either. One poster took it way too far and got a fairly mild ban. You don't have carte blanche to be excessively vitriolic just because you think you are in the right, that's just silly.
You clearly miss any nuance here. Pretty words hiding justification for atrocious acts are something that ALL OF WE who have been victims of this are tired of. I'm tired of you all trying to hide behind "civility" when all of you are doing is justifying atrocious acts.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
You clearly miss any nuance here.
Now that's some irony right there... again, no one was justifying atrocious acts. That's just not what the discussion was even about at all.

Pretty words hiding justification for atrocious acts are something that ALL OF WE who have been victims of this are tired of. I'm tired of you all trying to hide behind "civility" when all of you are doing is justifying atrocious acts.
"You all"? What? Yeah you're losing the plot mate. I was always opposed to both wars myself.

See, this is what I mean. You need to take a step back when you start lashing out like that.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that's some irony right there... again, no one was justifying atrocious acts. That's just not what the discussion was even about at all.
Irony is to argue otherwise. I'm not going to repeat myself to you but all of the nuance has been posted in this page already.

"You all"? What? Yeah you're losing the plot mate.
Feigning ignorance while defending posters siding with US imperialistic behaviour, are we, "mate"?

Go off, I have no intentions to argue with you because almost all of posts that I've seen from you come as bad faith argumenting, and thus there is no point at all.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I think you mean the only solution offered to the problem of what to day on 9/12 is "invade" or "intervention". Frankly, the only alternative I've seen is to trust the Taliban with their questionable offer to turn him over to a different country if we present "evidence". I doubt Bush makes it a day before he's impeached or Amendment XXVed if he took that up. Nobody in this topic seems to think we should have been in Afghanistan in 2002, but noone wants to talk about the alternatives before then.
Okay so you are saying Bush was driven by political forces to invade as opposed to acting in good faith. I agree with that.

If there was no political factor, would you agree that entertaining Taliban's offer, no matter the holes, was a better alternative? What did we have to lose?

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of ability to grasp nuance here is telling. On both sides, really.

Personally I see the distinction being made between the initial invasion and everything that followed. I also think it's a distinction without a difference.

As in, in context, everyone knew there was no way the invasion was EVER going to just be a small tightly focused op to recover bin laden. Was NEVER going to happen.

I was in late high school when all this was getting going and EVERYONE knew it was going to be a new Vietnam. My old man who avoided the draft by luck talked with me about going to Canada if it came back.

Distinction without a difference.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Okay so you are saying Bush was driven by political forces to invade as opposed to acting in good faith. I agree with that.

If there was no political factor, would you agree that entertaining Taliban's offer, no matter the holes, was a better alternative? What did we have to lose?
Depends if we're allowed to bring in knowledge from the years afterwards or only on what was known at the time.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Irony is to argue otherwise. I'm not going to repeat myself to you but all of the nuance has been posted in this page already.

Feigning ignorance while defending posters siding with US imperialistic behaviour, are we, "mate"?

Go off, I have no intentions to argue with you because almost all of posts that I've seen from you come as bad faith argumenting, and thus there is no point at all.
How am I in bad faith? Just a random sneering personal attack now, when you're running out of arguments? K.

I don't even agree with BossAttack, I'm not "siding" with him. I'm disagreeing with you. I just don't think that people I don't agree with on one particular point means he deserves a ban, or that excessively over-the-top hostility (not to mention misrepresentation) should not be moderated. That's all.

Personally I see the distinction being made between the initial invasion and everything that followed. I also think it's a distinction without a difference.

As in, in context, everyone knew there was no way the invasion was EVER going to just be a small tightly focused op in recovering bin laden. Was NEVER going to happen.
I agree with this.

Deleted member 9207

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't have carte blanche to be excessively vitriolic just because you think you are in the right, that's just silly.
Tell me you've never been a victim of another country without telling me.

The US gets a free pass whenever they bomb a bunch of innocent civilians because it's lawful. But just because it's lawful doesn't mean it is ethical, nor acceptable, nor that it doesn't leave victims, and the victim list for the United States is pretty long. And I don't think getting angry at it and the people that defend it is being "excessively" vitriolic.

Have someone from the US army do unimaginable things to you and/or your country, and you get resentful. And if being resentful gets you banned, well my dudes, you now know why most of the world hates your guts.

One poster took it way too far and got a fairly mild ban.
I don't know if you're the right person to talk about "fairly mild" bans.

And I don't mean to sound too personal with anything or anyone here, but it is impossible not to.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Coups to advance democracy and an invasion in response to an attack are different.

OPhrQFA.jpeg

There is no such a thing as a coup for democracy in this sense.
No international backed coup will ever be good for democracy

This is the summary of the wikipedia page for "United States involvement in regime change" and the ones that worked are basically the same percentage of shooters in the usa who REALLY were lone wolfs and not part of a real problem. Just statitical outliers.

25mXJYx.png

edit:
Seriously, be angry at the US and the world police system, but how else does a country respond to 9/11? Does the US not get to? Any talks about cooperating with the Taliban have been debunked by BossAttack and nothing has been given as reasonable alternatives.

It is not common for terrorist attacks to be followed by invading the country the terrorists are from... if you escalated from every horryfying shit it happens the world, afghanistan (or japan or ...) would be enterily in the right to invade the usa.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Tell me you've never been a victim of another country without telling me.

The US gets a free pass whenever they bomb a bunch of innocent civilians because it's lawful. But just because it's lawful doesn't mean it is ethical, nor acceptable, nor that it doesn't leave victims, and the victim list for the United States is pretty long. And I don't think getting angry at it and the people that defend it is being "excessively" vitriolic.

Have someone from the US army do unimaginable things to you and/or your country, and you get resentful. And if being resentful gets you banned, well my dudes, you now know why most of the world hates your guts.
I don't know what else to tell you. I've strongly opposed the US foreign policy since before some people here were born, to the point where you could probably describe me as "anti-American". When 9/11 happened, the irrational, "patriotic" fervour and bloodlust made me sick, and I've gotten into fights and lost friends by simply sharing my disgust at the wars at a time when it was, to say least, unpopular to do so. Hell, even in general I have always, always despised the whole "thank you for your service" and the glorification and fetishization of the military. So yes, I completely, 100% understand resenting the US military, especially if you live in a country that's been affected by their foreign policy.

All I'm saying here is that the discussion that's been happening over the last few pages was not what you think it was. No one was doing any of what I'm describing, no one was defending actual war crimes or glorifying imperialism, and if I thought they were I'd have reported them for sure.

I don't know if you're the right person to talk about "fairly mild" bans.
Weird comment, but ok...

Last edited:

Deleted member 9207

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've strongly opposed the US foreign policy since before some people here were born.
Here's your medal.

All I'm saying here is that the discussion that's been happening over the last few pages was not what you think it was. No one was doing any of what I'm describing, no one was defending actual war crimes or glorifying imperialism, and if I thought they were I'd have reported them for sure.
If you create a conflict and then hurt someone else to end that conflit, you're still the victimizer. You don't get to claim you were forced to intervene. You're part of the problem, from the start. And defending that? That is defending war crimes. Talking about Al'Qaeda as if the United States wasn't instrumental in it's creation is baloney, and talking as if the United States needed to invade Afghanistan and victimize half the middle east to end their own warchild? Well, that's just terrorists against terrorists.

Grow up. Own up to it. The United States are bad guys every now and then (and depending who you ask, all the time), and that includes every citizen in it. And being angry at anyone defending their foreign policy due to the way they decide to deal with anyone (that is, not even treating them as human beings) shouldn't be bannable.

Weird comment, but ok...
Only if you decide you're not responsible for your own past actions and thus don't need to elaborate further. You know, like the United States.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Do you think the US was justified in invading Afghanistan after 9/11?

Simple question for this English speaking gaming and political forum.

This wasn't even justifying 9/11. Imagine if I were to create a thread like that. Would probably be banned and insta locked.

Also, I really don't have the strengths to argue with you all, but Intelligence Warfare is a thing. There are options aside from INVADING and destroying a country. Take a fucking look at Russia, USA's sworn enemy. They are disgusting in all account, but how do they deal with individual enemies? Killing them in a secret operation and later on reporting "They jumped out of a window". Did they had to invade and ravage an entire country to get to their individual enemy? No. (I'm excluding Ukraine and other prior soviet countries here because that's a whole another can of worms)

The point I'm trying to say, is that all of you have been sold by the US propaganda that WAR is the only solution. That ravaging and directly interfering with entire countries is the only way for people to see "FREEDOM!" because that's the "MURICA" way of life.

And it's disgusting.

tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought you would come back. Before you try to paint this as me endorsing Kremlin tactics, I'm just pointing out that there are several different ways of making intelligence warfare to a individual (a.k.a Osama Bin Laden) without resorting to invading countries and destroying everything in the way, as you prefer to defend behind the "initial invasion" rhethoric.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Thought you would come back. Before you try to paint this as me endorsing Kremlin tactics, I'm just pointing out that there are several different ways of making intelligence warfare to a individual (a.k.a Osama Bin Laden) without resorting to invading countries and destroying everything in the way, as you prefer to defend behind the "initial invasion" rhethoric.

Right...

Let me just put away the insane point you made where the U.S. should be more like Russia but not unilaterally invade and annex entire countries Russia because those don't really count because they're "prior-Soviet countries." No, more like Russia that brutally assassinates its political enemies then lies about it to the world.

Fine, okay. Then you agree than an invasion can be justified then?

Because let's peel back this ridiculous statement. Russia (Putin) is able to assassinate their political opponents because they are either in Russia or in countries where Russia has a lot of assets (ie Europe). Thus they have no trouble locating and killing their "enemies," as often these civilians are not hiding. We are talking about political leaders, diplomats, scientists, scholars all of whom are openly living their life, often aware they have been marked an enemy but choosing to not back down. Russia doesn't have to do much work to get to these people.

On the other hand, let's turn now to UBL. Bin-Laden had been hiding in Afghanistan since the mid-90's. America did not have any real presence in Afghanistan prior to 9/11. It has virtually zero assets within Al-Qaeda or the Taliban. We did not even maintain an embassy in the country. And prior to 9/11, the U.S. had repeatedly sought to kill Bin-Laden to no avail. As such, we repeatedly tried to negotiate with the Taliban to give Bin-Laden up. However, the Taliban were unwilling to do so despite repeated attempts, warnings, and threats of consequences should Bin-Laden carry out another terrorist attack on Americans. And then 9/11 happened and they still refused to give them up.

So by your own logic, how exactly can the U.S. have Bin-Laden "jump out of a window" without invading the country?

The question is simple, assuming the Taliban would never have given up Bin-Laden was the U.S. justified in going in to eliminate him and Al-Qaeda? Either yes or no? Talking about what Bush decided to expand the war to and all the civilian deaths that came later is a separate point after the fact. Because if you're playing revisionist history then there is no need to talk about future civilian deaths caused by the War on Terror when a limited invasion would've stopped that from happening. So again, it's either a yes or no regarding invasion justification assuming the Taliban would not give him up.

Answer that then come back to me.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 week): attacking users over arguments from another thread

I think big part of the issue is that people on the right, and especially pro war people don't really think that disagreeing with them is a legitimate opinion, and they generally trying to get dissenting opinion silenced or banned, not persuaded, and you can bet your ass they all smash the report button on anything that they can.
Like you can see it any thread when someone make an even slightly spicy take about US foreign policy, the same fucking people descend onto the thread and immediately start picking fights and tossing the worst accusation in the world. Which honestly, wouldn't even be that bad if this was a forum where you could drag those people for acting like asses.

It's basic McCarthyists tendencies, and I got to say, the one and only positive thing from the US and Russia getting back into hating each other is that after years of being called a terrorist sympathizer and "Saddamist" those people now call me unamerican and agent of the Kremlin, it feels like in the movies.

Oct 28, 2017
Right...

Let me just put away the insane point you made where the U.S. should be more like Russia but not unilaterally invade and annex entire countries Russia because those don't really count because they're "prior-Soviet countries." No, more like Russia that brutally assassinates its political enemies then lies about it to the world.

Fine, okay. Then you agree than an invasion can be justified then?

Because let's peel back this ridiculous statement. Russia (Putin) is able to assassinate their political opponents because they are either in Russia or in countries where Russia has a lot of assets (ie Europe). Thus they have no trouble locating and killing their "enemies," as often these civilians are not hiding. We are talking about political leaders, diplomats, scientists, scholars all of whom are openly living their life, often aware they have been marked an enemy but choosing to not back down. Russia doesn't have to do much work to get to these people.

On the other hand, let's turn now to UBL. Bin-Laden had been hiding in Afghanistan since the mid-90's. America did not have any real presence in Afghanistan prior to 9/11. It has virtually zero assets within Al-Qaeda or the Taliban. We did not even maintain an embassy in the country. And prior to 9/11, the U.S. had repeatedly sought to kill Bin-Laden to no avail. As such, we repeatedly tried to negotiate with the Taliban to give Bin-Laden up. However, the Taliban were unwilling to do so despite repeated attempts, warnings, and threats of consequences should Bin-Laden carry out another terrorist attack on Americans. And then 9/11 happened and they still refused to give them up.

So by your own logic, how exactly can the U.S. have Bin-Laden "jump out of a window" without invading the country?

The question is simple, assuming the Taliban would never have given up Bin-Laden was the U.S. justified in going in to eliminate him and Al-Qaeda? Either yes or no? Talking about what Bush decided to expand the war to and all the civilian deaths that came later is a separate point after the fact. Because if you're playing revisionist history then there is no need to talk about future civilian deaths caused by the War on Terror when a limited invasion would've stopped that from happening. So again, it's either a yes or no regarding invasion justification assuming the Taliban would not give him up.

Answer that then come back to me.
Separate point after the fact my ass.
You yourself who just accused somebody of not answering never ever wanted to answer what action would be justifiable against the US and its civilian population in a world where all the killing the US does is justifiable.
And before you try to semantic your way out of this. There is no world where a US invasion does not lead to tens of thousands of civilian deaths

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to answer this question because it's a response to an example of a intelligence warfare that Kremlin employs. In fact, your entire answer is to an example. There are several different iterations of warfare that DOES NOT require destroying an entire country to accomplish the goals set out to and that was exactly the point that I've tried to make to you before it "wooshed" over your head.

I don't work for the United States government and thus I don't have an answer for the best way to solve the Afghanistan situation back in 2001, but if you really think, really really agree, that the war on terror was the correct solution, at the time, then you truly are disgusting.

Because if you're playing revisionist history then there is no need to talk about future civilian deaths caused by the War on Terror when a limited invasion would've stopped that from happening. So again, it's either a yes or no regarding invasion justification assuming the Taliban would not give him up.

Get out of here, there's no "revisionist history" here. LITERALLY everyone knew what the War on Terror meant and the casualties that would ensue even at 2001. It's nothing more than just a blood revenge tour through Afghanistan destroying everything on sight. Par for the course of what the USA does whenever they meddle with other countries affairs.

I really hope that you and whoever's thinking about trying to unlink the consequences of the "war on terror" with the initial invasion justification get out of your caves and think about it for just a second. There's no way a campaign based on revenge would've ended any other way.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to answer this question because it's a response to an example of a intelligence warfare that Kremlin employs. In fact, your entire answer is to an example. There are several different iterations of warfare that DOES NOT require destroying an entire country to accomplish the goals set out to and that was exactly the point that I've tried to make to you before it "wooshed" over your head.

I don't work for the United States government and thus I don't have an answer for the best way to solve the Afghanistan situation back in 2001, but if you really think, really really agree, that the war on terror was the correct solution, at the time, then you truly are disgusting...

JESUS MOTHER MARY AND CHRIST, I'm done. You clearly haven't read any of my posts. Seriously, point to just ONE post where I said the War on Terror was justified. To ONE post where I said it was a good idea. Whether initial invasion of Afghanistan in response to an attack on U.S. soil was justified is a separate topic than the War on Terror. One is a policy initiated by the Bush Administration to push regime change around the world, the other is a question that exists outside any administration. You yourself seem to feel the an invasion is justified, you merely disagree on the scope:

There are several different iterations of warfare that DOES NOT require destroying an entire country to accomplish the goals set out to and that was exactly the point that I've tried to make to you before it "wooshed" over your head.

NO, that's exactly the point I've been making for 5 pages now!

But, the fact that you keep conflating the War on Terror with whether an initial invasion was justified means there is no point in continuing this discussion. You fail to understand nuance and I can't continue going round this same point.

I think big part of the issue is that people on the right, and especially pro war people don't really think that disagreeing with them is a legitimate opinion, and they generally trying to get dissenting opinion silenced or banned, not persuaded, and you can bet your ass they all smash the report button on anything that they can.
Like you can see it any thread when someone make an even slightly spicy take about US foreign policy, the same fucking people descend onto the thread and immediately start picking fights and tossing the worst accusation in the world. Which honestly, wouldn't even be that bad if this was a forum where you could drag those people for acting like asses.

It's basic McCarthyists tendencies, and I got to say, the one and only positive thing from the US and Russia getting back into hating each other is that after years of being called a terrorist sympathizer and "Saddamist" those people now call me unamerican and agent of the Kremlin, it feels like in the movies.

Not that you're speaking about me, but I can truthfully say I've never reported a single person on this site nor ignored a single user. I can't say them same thing regarding other posters about me though...

To be fair, us offed him without invading Pakistan.

We did invade Pakistan...

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Separate point after the fact my ass.
You yourself who just accused somebody of not answering never ever wanted to answer what action would be justifiable against the US and its civilian population in a world where all the killing the US does is justifiable.
And before you try to semantic your way out of this. There is no world where a US invasion does not lead to tens of thousands of civilian deaths
America started bombing civilian targets in Kabul and all over Afghanistan on October 7th. At least in theory, we were still negotiating with the Taliban in good faith about how we can get Bin Laden without a war.
And the CIA was already in country with suitcases of cash, bribing child rapists to be our allies and fight for us.

On October 9th we have the first confirmed aid workers death, something that would be somewhat of a theme throughout this cursed war.

RQ2KaRh.jpg

That's was apparently the good, justified part of that war.

Not that you're speaking about me, but I can truthfully say I've never reported a single person on this site nor ignored a single user. I can't say them same thing regarding other posters about me though...
I absolutely wasn't speaking or thinking about you, I know you can't tell tone on the internet, but pinky swear. I disagree with you about a ton of stuff and I sometime get heated arguing with you, but I think you generally try to argue in good faith, which is why I get into those long discussions with you. I wouldn't have done it with someone I thought is only trying to get banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.