greengr

Dec 3, 2018
This twitter thread is making me go what the fuck in real time,whats real anymore lol

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Maps are deceptive because you can't really flatten a globe in a nice, neat way

Africa.jpg

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Drag Russia (or any other country) around on this world map to see its true relative size:

thetruesize.com

Compare Countries With This Simple Tool

Drag and drop countries around the map to compare their relative size. Is Greenland really as big as all of Africa? You may be surprised at what you find! A great tool for educators.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Forget what's its called but there's a couple different types of maps that scale continents differently. It has to do with styles of globes that carried over to written maps. Someone here made a post about it once

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Drag Russia (or any other country) around on this world map to see its true relative size

thetruesize.com

Compare Countries With This Simple Tool

Drag and drop countries around the map to compare their relative size. Is Greenland really as big as all of Africa? You may be surprised at what you find! A great tool for educators.

People complain a lot about American transit systems, but France and Germany for example are roughly the size of Texas. You can put like roughly two Texas landmasses from Seattle to Texas. There is so much space in the U.S, of course its harder for infrastructure to get off the ground.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, it's the second largest continent. All projections are a lie, but the mercator one is pretty insidious in its lie.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah, it's the second largest continent. All projections are a lie, but the mercator one is pretty insidious in its lie.
It is a great projection for its purpose. It wasn't meant to be used as an indicator of how big countries are. It is also why it is still in use for a lot of navigation services.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
It is a great projection for its purpose. It wasn't meant to be used as an indicator of how big countries are. It is also why it is still in use for a lot of navigation services.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, different projections have different utilities. It's just not the best map for the classrooms imo.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Jfc I stared at that tweet for 5 min reading it as "perception of war".

With that, this is crazy. I never realized the size diff.

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, that's basic geometry, isn't it? The length of latitudes increases the closer you get to the equator. Spheres are widest at their center, narrower near the poles. Is this not taught in high school?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
No projection is perfect basically in terms of a 2D map of the whole world. Pretty much every flat representation will be off in some way via shape, area, or another detail iirc.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Every projection is gonna be off on a 2D plane. But it is kinda funny that the standard Map you see everywhere is the one that makes EU and the western world look bigger than they actually are.

mercator-true-size.jpg

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Forget what's its called but there's a couple different types of maps that scale continents differently. It has to do with styles of globes that carried over to written maps. Someone here made a post about it once
It's called Projection, the term coming from how maps could be made by literally projecting the shadows of a globe onto a piece of paper. How the paper was held against the globe determined what it would be focusing on, with the stuff closer to touching the globe being most accurate. Shape, distance, and area get distorted the further away from that focal point you get.

figure2-projections.png

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I knew this before, but some of the pictures really fucked me up.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Quoted for the joke..

Always knew about Africa, but I also forget how f'n huge Brazil is. I mean I always knew how big it was, but when u compare it to the US and China...you get an even better idea.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People complain a lot about American transit systems, but France and Germany for example are roughly the size of Texas. You can put like roughly two Texas landmasses from Seattle to Texas. There is so much space in the U.S, of course its harder for infrastructure to get off the ground.

US also doesn't have good transit inside most of their cities.
Also, China seems to be the king of trains right now, they would face similar issues.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is basically that when you take the 3D Earth and turn it into a 2D image, the size or the shape have to be fucked up, and often we've tended more towards retaining the shape. The big tell usually mentioned is that Greenland is nowhere close to the size of Africa, but a lot of popular map projections will have them basically the same.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is basically that when you take the 3D Earth and turn it into a 2D image, the size or the shape have to be fucked up, and often we've tended more towards retaining the shape. The big tell usually mentioned is that Greenland is nowhere close to the size of Africa, but a lot of popular map projections will have them basically the same.
The Mercator projection is good for navigation, but something like Gall-Peters would be better for instruction.

1280px-Gall%E2%80%93Peters_projection_SW.jpg

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
More emphasis on the limitations of Mercator's projection (and 2D projections) in general shouls be put when teaching geography.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
How small Europe as actually is always gets me. It's tiny. I think learning European history makes it sound much larger than it actually is. You're talking about empires spanning multiple regions, languages, and people. World Wars that involve dozens of nations. But really you can fit most of that history in the land mass of the United States and all of it in Northern Africa with plenty of space left over.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How small Europe as actually is always gets me. It's tiny. I think learning European history makes it sound much larger than it actually is. You're talking about empires spanning multiple regions, languages, and people. World Wars that involve dozens of nations. But really you can fit most of that history in the land mass of the United States and all of it in Northern Africa with plenty of space left over.
It's small but the diversity of countries and climates is virtually unmatched

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
It's small but the diversity of countries and climates is virtually unmatched

It is diverse although I think many would argue that it is unmatched. The US has forest, mountains, deserts, grasslands, etc. China also has a diverse range of landscapes. Frankly the viewpoint that Europe is unmatched in diversity would only come from a very Euro-centric perspective. I've met people who are so profoundly different culturally despite having come from the same country. Different dialects or languages, different foods, different customs, and appearances.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
So I've heard the stuff about Mercator being awful for size comparisons, Africa being deceptively large, etc., but one thing I'd never put together until seeing the light blue/dark blue map up above is that Alaska isn't nearly as big as I'd always been told. Back in elementary school it was common knowledge that Alaska was the size of the lower 48 put together, but apparently it's only about 20% of the area (663k vs 3.1m square miles). Still over twice as big as Texas, though.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
So I've heard the stuff about Mercator being awful for size comparisons, Africa being deceptively large, etc., but one thing I'd never put together until seeing the light blue/dark blue map up above is that Alaska isn't nearly as big as I'd always been told. Back in elementary school it was common knowledge that Alaska was the size of the lower 48 put together, but apparently it's only about 20% of the area (663k vs 3.1m square miles). Still over twice as big as Texas, though.

I never once heard some say that Alaska was the size of the lower 48. Everyone knew it was the largest state but no one said it was bigger than the rest of the entire country.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I mean this has been very well known for literally decades (or even centuries, depending on how you count).

Also, when you look at China on the map, it looks quite a bit smaller vs what it is, ie quite a bit larger vs US and basically equivalent to top portion of African continent.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
People complain a lot about American transit systems, but France and Germany for example are roughly the size of Texas. You can put like roughly two Texas land masses from Seattle to Texas. There is so much space in the U.S, of course its harder for infrastructure to get off the ground.

I'll bet this would tie in really well with the discussions we have here sometimes about the number of cars in the U.S. It would certainly help me understand how some people find it odd that everyone has a car. Even if we had public transportation here, it would take centuries to grocery shop where I live. Automobiles of some kind, preferably personal are of humongous utility.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I'll bet this would tie in really well with the discussions we have here sometimes about the number of cars in the U.S. It would certainly help me understand how some people find it odd that everyone has a car. Even if we had public transportation here, it would take centuries to grocery shop where I live. Automobiles of some kind, preferably personal are of humongous utility.
To be fair part of US issue is shitty zoning. Outside countryside, you could have neighborhood grocery stores almost anywhere and be within easy transport distance sans cars. However, due to the zoning laws in majority of US, that's simply not possible.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019

Just black people right? /s

Totally off topic, but I always find it fascinating how people hand wave whole continents of people away due to a lack of familiarity. Not event from an ethnicity perspective from a political diversity perspective like in Africa which is 27 very different countries with vastly different histories and domestic and international challenges. I hope they mean well, but, ugh.