• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which FS game has the best bosses?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 123 4.1%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 148 5.0%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 87 2.9%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 263 8.8%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 1,199 40.2%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 779 26.1%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 386 12.9%

• Total voters

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
I've played 150+ hours of 'Elden Ring' and I've beaten it twice already. I love it, I think it's a wonderful adventure and one of the best games of the generation. But, at the same time, I can't shake the feeling that it's no better than the rest of Soulsborne in almost any of the areas in which it competes. At least for me.

The BSO of Bloodborne, DS3 and DS2 seems much better to me. The story, lore and NPCs of Dark Souls or Bloodborne seem to me better developed and more interesting. The level design of Bloodborne and, above all, Dark Souls still seems to me From Software's top (although Elden Ring has one of the best areas the studio has ever made).

But the point where it seems to me that there is a bigger difference is in the bosses. I think Elden Ring will age very badly in that section due to how irregular its fights are. Enemies so big that it's impossible to see their moveset well, an exaggerated amount of enemies with delayed attacks, so much tracking or almost infinite combos, several enemies that resort to adds to artificially complicate the confrontation (and, I think, are designed to force you to use spirits), enemies with chaotic movesets very difficult to interpret and read, or enemies with absurdly difficult attacks and mechanics. And, if that wasn't enough, the reuse. I'm no longer referring to the fact that only 15 or 16 bosses out of the 120 in the game are 100% unique and not repeated in one way or another. I mean that even in the mandatory bosses there is repetition: without spoilers I will say that there is a boss that is reused with a slight change of name and some additional attack and another, one of the worst From Software has ever designed, which is to take two minibosses and put them together in the same arena, incorporate a tremendously frustrating mechanic and voila, we have mandatory final boss. Then, although not as bad, there are a couple of bosses that seem directly taken from other games.

And just as disappointing is that they haven't used those 120 total bosses to experiment and bet on some boss-puzzles like the ones we saw in Demon's Souls. I barely remember one, an absolute carbon copy of one from Dark Souls 3.

So, in general, the average level of the main bosses in 'Elden Ring' seems to me much lower than in games like 'Bloodborne', 'Dark Souls', 'Dark Souls 3' or 'Sekiro'. Much more if we take into account the DLC of the first three. Isshin, Genichiro, Ornstein & Smough, Artorias, Sif, Ludwig, Lady Maria, Orphan of Kos, Nameless King, Gael, Friede, Fume Knight... I don't think, in a few years, we'll be putting many 'Elden Ring' bosses on this list.

Evidently, the game does many things right: its extension makes its world the most varied, its secret areas are the best and most complete and its playable depth is the best within the Souls branch (personally I still prefer Bloodborne's gameplay). But, despite loving the game, I think the media have been carried away by the hype and expectation and that, in a way, the passage of time will leave a somewhat more irregular memory of 'Elden Ring'.

What do you think?

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Radagon was fucking awesome. The Elden Beast is a boring, dumb fight but Radagon was great.

I much prefer this duo over Isshin though.

Duty

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if we think about it...

Nothing will beat Isshin, the Sword Saint.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I just got to the final bosses a few hours ago and I hate them. The other tough bosses made feel like I could eventually win if I learned the patterns or practiced, but these bosses often feel cheap and unfair.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Elden Ring has fantastic bosses. Both in the beginning and end

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Radagon is great, Elden Beast was a terrible fight though

Haven't played Bloodborne or DS2 but Sekiro is easily my favorite in terms of bosses overall

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
A lot of the "late" bosses suck purely because they read inputs and the game already has that buffering on top of it. It's honestly hilarious how blatant it is sometimes.

Macija

Aug 14, 2018
I think It has some of the best bosses (Godfrey, Radagon, Morgott... ) and some of the worst (Malenia, Elden Beast...).

I am overall happy with the bosses of Elden Ring, but finishing with the Elden Beast was a bit underwelming.

OP
OP
Haxik

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
The title is a bit confusing, sorry. I mean the bosses of the game in general. Not just the final boss. can someone change it?

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I think on the first journey, it was really tough. I mean I was using dex, Mimic, Bloody slash - whatever the fuck I could to get through. It's hilarious because Godskin Duo felt supremely lazy, but doable. Maleketh was definitely harder for me. And then someone like Gideon was just a kind of hilarious breather. Respite for all the jumping which was pretty ingenious on the Godfrey transition- that fucked me up until getting the patterns.

But it was the Elden Beast transition that really messed me up. Like understanding Radagon's patterns felt rewarding and it was solid - a one on one epic affair. But that transition to Beast I still have nightmares about- I had supreme trouble hugging the stomach, trying to hack away for a little damage at a time while Mimic drew aggro. And it wasn't necessarily that it was supremely tough, just really punishing even at 120+. Using the Haligdrake+2 to negate Holy damage, and still chasing this big monster across the water to avoid and time slashes- woooof buddy, I had a hard time.

Again, it felt like a gauntlet probably because I'm not very skilled and I wish I went in way over leveled. But beating it felt less like a triumph, more like despair when it finally happened. The game is so good- I don't think the end bosses spoil it, but they make you earn it in really punishing ways.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Radagon is cool, Elden Beast is lame (though visually looks great).

Nothing is touching Isshin the god though. Sekiro easily has my favorite bosses in a game they made, since they can specifically design around the sword clashes. I don't think Elden Ring's boss repertoire is amazing but my interest in this game is in so many other places that it has much less of a reliance on that.

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
Sekiro forever.

I loved the last bosses in ER, though. Some of the strongest in the game. They were fun and spectacular at the same time👌

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Coming off of Sekiro the bosses in Elden Ring are largely trash.

I say this as someone who thinks Elden Ring is the easiest Souls like game.

Large bosses are still terrible in these games and I'm shocked From keeps making them. Running up to a creature and slashing its feet then spamming roll is boring as hell.

Last edited:

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah maybe 2 or 3 memorable bosses for me. A lot of the copy paste bosses were annoying.

Sekiro >

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
The story bosses and shardbearers are mostly all winners for me, honestly. The game starts to lose me a bit with the amount of repeats when it comes to the side/field encounters but overall it's a strong showing.

Sekiro is the GOAT.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I think you say it well, there's a really large number of fights which demand you study combo strings that are full of gotchas, which isn't a bad boss design in itself but it's what almost all the mainline big fights in this game are.

It's fatiguing, imo, and along the way Elden Ring loses a lot of the catharsis that comes with overcoming big encounters. Because each encounter is like an exam now if you don't summon, and if you do summon it just feels like a formality that you're passing through.

That said I'll defend Malenia's design except for the flurry attack. That's the place you put a boss fight like that, in a massive and difficult secret area as the thing that the player's skill expression should gear towards working to overcome (or vice versa, beat it with brains and find busted builds)

Elden Ring just feels like a weirdly uneven game which is about exploring and then fighting really complicated enemies. I dont' find its progression satisfying at all

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Everything you listed was worse in Dark Souls 3, and made even more worse by the lack in build variety/choice.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Hoarah Loux and Radagon are great fights and significantly different from the usual duels we get at the end of each game. Loved both.

But I can already see Dark Souls 3 getting underrated. It has, by far, the best boss fight lineup From has ever made, especially the DLC bosses.

Sekiro has the best final boss From has ever created, but its overall boss lineup is kinda samey asides from Monkey and Demon.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
1. I don't think using DLC content is fair given Elden hasn't gotten any yet, Bloodborne was kind of mixed, Gehrman was good but moon presence sucked. Mergo's Wet Nurse was average.
2. Radagon, Malekith and Godfrey are great boss fights. Elden Beast was poor sure. Radagon I felt could have probably extend longer and Elden Beast a completely different phase.
3. Sekiro has the best ending boss any game. Isshin was great, Demon of Hatred awesome too.
4. Demon's souls depending on which way you went had King Allant and Penetrator, mechanically average , kind of boring
5. Dark Souls 3, Nameless King was good but made soul of cinder seem so underwhelming.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Apart from some occasional frustration with the camera, the boss fights in Sekiro are absolutely sublime - legitimately among the best set of boss fights of any game I've ever played. Being able to design the bosses around one basic play style and load out makes a world of difference. The customization in Souls makes it basically impossible for them to have boss fights on Sekiro's level.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Repeating more memorable fights like Astel, Guardian Spirit, Godskin Apostle, and Godrick ruined the impact of those bosses. Shouldn't have copy pasted them

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021
Radagon is really fun, keeps you on your feet with your rolls - great range of immediate and delayed attacks to make sure you're paying attention, but he also has spots where you can quite nicely fit quite a bit of damage in unlike... a lot of enemies in the game. Also he flexes and does artwork mid-fight while attacking you because that's something he can do. Hoarah Loux of course has already gotten his praise too. I honestly find crucible knights way more of a pain in the rear to deal with than either of those guys.

Elden Beast... exists. Felt like more of a victory lap than anything else.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Not even close. Honestly? All mandatory bosses in ER are solid to great: Godfrey. Renalla. Morgott. Fire Giant. Maliketh. Godfrey. Horaoh Loux. Radagon. Elden Beast. I don't think any From game has as consistent a roster. And ththe audiovisual spectacle of both Radagon and Elden Beast is incredible.

Not to mention the optional bosses: Melania, Mohg, Loretta, Placisdusax, the regular dragons, Astel, Radahn, Niall, Rykard, all of the NPC invasions. So much variety, and they're all good to great.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the final bosses of Elden Ring. Probably only behind Isshin for me in terms of final From bosses. Overall boss quality? I haven't really ranked that out yet, it'll take more time.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It probably my second favorite after SSI, it's just beautiful tbh.

I loved the final bosses of Elden Ring. Probably only behind Isshin for me in terms of final From bosses. Overall boss quality? I haven't really ranked that out yet, it'll take more time.

My man

Overall I think DS3 is the king when it comes to bosses in general, especially with the DLC. Friede and Gael are top, top notch.

psykomyko

Oct 27, 2017
This will never be true as long as Dark Souls 2 exists.

I am not ready to rank the games in terms of boss fights as Elden Ring hasn't gotten DLC yet. The DLC for their games tends to have their best bosses.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
Godfrey and Radagon were such great bosses, it was a perfect way to end the game.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Radagon is the best FS final boss after Isshin.

Elden Beast is bad like the other ones though.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
every boss before the actual final boss is cooler than Elden Beast ,final parts of ER boss wise are not that balanced but even at its worse DS 2 exist so yeah

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne has the best and it doesn't matter which one. Gehrman joining the hunt >>>>>. And Moon Presence is just absurdly cool lore wise and puts a perfect cherry on the back half's descent into cosmic madness.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Milenia is fucked up and needs to have her supermove made at least a little easier to dodge - as it is, if she decides to do it in certain situations youre just guaranteed to die and that sucks. Makes the fight feel like RNG.

Other than her, I think the other final bosses are incredibly strong and only Sekiro is better. It's an excellent endgame.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Was so fun as a melee user. Felt like a classic souls boss with none of the new gotchas in Elden Ring (delayed attacks, hyper tracking, optional random combo extensions etc)
That's... unpleasant to hear lol. I'm playing Dark Souls and loving it, but my #1 takeaway is that the bosses are the weakest part, mostly because of this sort of stuff. I plan to run out and buy Elden Ring as soon as I'm done but this doesn't sound that exciting.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, when I see the talk about ER bosses I feel like most are letting their frustration talk.

Yeah they are stupid hard, the damage output they do is crazy... But ER has the most varied and complex boss fights of all FROM games.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Radagon with a few "spectacle" moves borrowed from the Elden Beast like the ring shaped ones and maybe a Marika phase would have been the perfect final boss.

Elden Beast is not that good and is yet another boss which boils down to: "giant monster jumps around and runs out of range shooting stuff", if you are a melee you'll spend most of the fight frantically running after it trying to get in range and then fight the camera when you reach it.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
For characterization and mechanics, I think all of Elden Ring's main bosses are pretty good. Elden Beast has too much health.
Bloodborne? Eh... the base game has very few bosses, and they're either easily abused with parry or too frantic.

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020
Im with you OP.

After full beating all 10 from games ER has the worst enemies.

They embraced the meme of git gud.

Delayed attacks insta kills infinite combos insane tracking weird and massive AoE damage.
Cold blood rotten instakill debuffs.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Fuck the elden beast. That said addressing your title, it's fine. Way better than DS2, DS1 4 Lord soul holders but can't match DS3, BB or Sekiro. Addressing your thread instead of your title my point still stands. Lots of winners but some in there I really didn't like. Elden Beast really spoils it a lot tho. Final boss has a big effect since its supposed to be a lasting impression but they got it 90% right and 10% horrible