• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.businessinsider.com/halo-infinite-struggling-to-retain-players-on-steam-2022-2?amp

That's because, as of January 25, "Halo Infinite" touted a huge new player record: Over 20 million people have played it so far, the company said.

But on Steam, the world's largest video game platform, daily player statistics paint a much less rosy picture of the game's reception.

The game's player numbers average a daily high of 30,000 concurrent players on Steam, according to Steam's public statistics page, and it usually has about half of that. That's a significant drop from where it was at launch, when it ranked as one of the top five most-played games on the platform

Comparatively, the top five games on Steam average approximately a quarter million to a million players. That puts "Infinite" well out of the top 10 and firmly in the bottom 20% of the top 100 games on the platform nearly two months since launch.

It's worth noting that "Halo Infinite" isn't exclusive to Steam — the game launched on Xbox One, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, and through Microsoft's own Xbox app storefront on PC. As such, the average player count is assuredly higher than what Steam reflects.

The most-viewed games on Twitch — like "Grand Theft Auto V," "Fortnite," and "Apex Legends" — average over 100,000 viewers. "Halo Infinite" averages fewer than 10,000 viewers, according to Twitch's public data

I'm curious to see how the player base is by the time the next battle pass/significant content hits.

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Half its peak doesn't sound too bad? Especially since it hasn't had anything big added yet.

Edit: Misread what it was initially saying but this still doesn't sound too bad to me. It's not just on steam either.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think the title needs Steam stats, because that is very bad assumption to include the flagship platform—Series X/S. PC will always be a different beast.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
They're just using STEAM as a sample size to judge this. Big blunder.

By looking at the most played rankings on xbox.com, it sure seems that Halo is doing fine on consoles, its just on PC with this situation.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Judging Halo by its Steam performance seems downright stupid. The game is free on PC Game Pass which doesn't count towards Steam statistics and it has also always primarily been an Xbox console franchise.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Why not include steam in the title like the article?
Also feel these writers spend to much time on Twitter haha

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
I'm busy! But also it's real light on maps. BtB getting busted for a while and the battle pass progression still feels like a bandaid fix

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Looking at Steam to determine the playerbase is pretty dumb. The game is still regularly in the top 5 on the most played charts on console, where the Halo fanbase has been built for 20 years.

Once it starts to drop in those charts is when itll be a problem.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Live games these days need constant updates and good progression, Halo is still struggling on that

OP
OP
Wein Cruz

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you mods for the title edit. My bad everyone I don't make threads much.

Might want to put steam instead of stream though lol.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
I'm done with it until Forge comes out. The fact BTB has been broken for months is a joke too

Dec 11, 2017
Like all GAAS, there will be a spike when the next major update hits, and if it's good people will stick around for a while. The game will essentially spend 6 months without major content additions, so I can't blame people moving on for now.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Doesn't this game have cross play?
Why do steam numbers really matter that much

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
games always suffer a couple of months out the gate... it's a time when the playerbase has used up all the early content repeatedly, and it's also when the game is at its smallest

or halo is doomed ???

i'll let others decide... whatever... it's only been around for 20 years and had 20m people play it in a month

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of MP titles have difficulties retaining their playerbase on Steam, even while being F2P so I wouldn't put that against Halo Infinite. Doesn't help Steam also has a bunch of other lucrative F2P options to go into while people wait on Halo to receive more content/fixes.

I'm personally waiting on them to add the HDR toggle back in that the Flight's had cause the game keeps forcing HDR on my monitor lol.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Updated the title since this is only on Steam, even with that said...

Looks about what I'd expect, hell it's still in Steam Top 100. Considering it hasn't had any major updates yet and is rather light on content if you are wanting more maps and such. I'd argue it has held pretty well and that's before we factor in cross-play with Xbox which isn't getting counted.

With that said, the game definitely can't rest on its laurels (and I doubt 343 will either). I'm sure all the stuff going on with Battlefield (Which is a title actually having trouble retaining its playerbase) has every GAAS studio making sure they don't lose as much engagement.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

Looks about what I'd expect, hell it's still in Steam Top 100. Considering it hasn't had any major updates yet and is rather light on content if you are wanting more maps and such. I'd argue it has held pretty well and that's before we factor in cross-play with Xbox which isn't getting counted.

With that said, the game definitely can't rest on its laurels (and I doubt 343 will either). I'm sure all the stuff going on with Battlefield (Which is a title actually having trouble retaining its playerbase) has every GAAS studio making sure they don't lose as much engagement.
the title says "on stream" not on Steam

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Judging Halo by its Steam performance seems downright stupid. The game is free on PC Game Pass which doesn't count towards Steam statistics and it has also always primarily been an Xbox console franchise.
The multiplayer is free on Steam too fyi.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steam is a small fraction of its base.

Edit: Stream? Even more of a non story. Lol.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
People are so desperate for this game to fail, not even a major content update or patch.... Keep trying games bizz.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It needs a lot more content, maps, etc. I can't believe playlists were practically nonexistent when the game released.

My friends and I all dropped it. :/

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Its only natural it'll drop when it's partway through a long season. And obviously there's Xbox as well. There's not much of a story here.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I really think the gameplay is out of fashion. Shooting at shields, lame double KO melee, scifi setting, nade spam.

Mainstream players prefer military shooters and hero shooters. Then theres games like Siege that fill niches. Halo's gameplay just feels like something 30+ year olds love, but I dont see that enthusiasm passed over to younger generations

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the game sucks.

Lack of content, game modes and such. I got quickly tired of it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like I know the game is free to play on steam, but like I downloaded it on gamepass to play the campaign and haven't felt any need to uninstall and install the steam version. Like, why.

And yeah, lack of content is a big issue. BTB keeps not working even after they said they fixed it. Attrition was awesome though.

OP
OP
Wein Cruz

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

One of the priorities has to be fixing server desync I would think.

The server issues are why I hesitate to play anymore.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really think the gameplay is out of fashion. Shooting at shields, lame double KO melee, scifi setting, nade spam.

Mainstream players prefer military shooters and hero shooters. Then theres games like Siege that fill niches. Halo's gameplay just feels like something 30+ year olds love, but I dont see that enthusiasm passed over to younger generations

There is a reason why Twitch kids meme on it as an "Old man's game", and this is the reason lol.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The game hasn't had any major content update at all almost 4 months from release. Numbers will come back up eventually (and even then, as said above, the game seems to be much more popular elsewhere anyways)