Do you still care about the MCU?

• never cared about these movies anyway

Votes: 162 12.3%
  • don't care anymore due to 2020 happening

Votes: 113 8.6%
  • End Game/FFH was the MCU finale for me, don't need more

Votes: 287 21.7%
  • can't wait for the next one (and they should have kept on going)

Votes: 263 19.9%
  • can't wait for the next one (but the MCU needed a time out)

Votes: 495 37.5%

• Total voters

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Where's the option for: "can't wait for the next one, but obviously Covid happened"?

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
This poll omitted an option for, "I'm itching for more MCU as soon as the pandemic has died down," or something to that effect which I believe would be the number 1 chosen option if it had been included on it.

The MCU is only taking a backseat in discourse because there's not really much to talk about right now. The studio plans were deferred at a transition point just before they had began to start into the next 'phase' of Marvel content. I fully believe the momentum is going to pick right back up as soon as things get back on course.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The other weekend I rewatched a few Marvel movies and thoroughly enjoyed myself, even one I was initially disappointed by was better than I remember given a little time (Ant-Man and the Wasp).

I was disappointed Spider-Man FFM being the first post-Endgame movie didn't really add anything (even a tease) about where the overall story arc will go for the next batch of movies (unless they ARE going to do the multiverse more even after Mysterio faked it, I know Doctor Strange 2 will have some of it).

And I'm not super looking forward to Black Widow, but only because I'm not a big fan of prequels in general. I'm sure it'll still be a solid movie, but I'm worried it also won't move the overall series forward much beyond maybe giving us a replacement Black Widow.
All I need is a post credit stinger that gets me excited, like a passing reference to Doctor Doom, or something.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The MCU is like fast food for me. It's kind of okay to eat once in a while, but if I don't have it for a year or two, I won't miss it or really think about it.

I'm more sad about not being able to see something like The Green Knight or Antebellum (in cinemas) than I am about missing Black Widow and The Eternals. Though I am kinda looking forward to seeing how bizarre ripped Kumail Nanjani looks in motion.

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, I just had that thought.

I think the forced time out is a great thing, especially in regards to timing. It was always weird to follow up Endgame first with Far From Home and then with Black Widow. The series needed some breathing room to allow people to gain some perspective and distance on Endgame - both to give that "finale" a little more weight and also to allow these new movies to stand on their own a bit more.

I just thought about this because I noticed that, yup, I actually feel like I'd want to watch another MCU movie. That feeling hasn't been there for years. I did watch them and I did enjoy them (mostly, Captain Marvel and Endgame were two huge disappointments back to back for me) but there were so fucking many of them that I never really got hyped anymore or even got the chance to really look forward to one of them.

It also helps that this coming line-up looks incredibly interesting and fun to me: Shang-Chi, The Eternals, Thor Love and Thunder and Sam Raimi's Doctor Strange? Probably the most exciting line-up of movies for the franchise ever.

Yeah, I know it's obviously not in the short-term interest of the companies pumping out the movies but it's nice to have a breather, especially as you're laying the groundwork for the next Big Thing. Otherwise you can start running into the same issues as the comics, going from GREAT BIG EVENT to GREAT BIG EVENT without a pause to make those BIG EVENTS feel meaningful.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I'll watch them all because why not? But I don't really have much interest or hype in the "Phase 4" slate to be honest.

Thor will probably be good, but I have doubts that Black Panther 2 can recapture that lightning in a bottle magic the first one had, and the rest of the lineup... Eh...

I'm more intrigued about Marvel's plans for X-Men and Fantastic Four at this point, curious to see what they do there.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I'm not excited for MCU films anymore. Endgame kind of exposed a lot of flaws in the formula to me and I'm tired of it.

If there's something creative with the next films or a director I love associated with it (Edgar Wright, please) I'm in but can't really be interested in adaptations. X-Men or FF being in the MCU isn't enough of a draw.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just ready and waiting for whats next. Far from done with it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Personally I can't wait to see what's next and never really thought there was too much and that it needed a break. I really wanna know what happens next and reeaally want to see X-men. I love super heroes, and it helps that my dad and brothers do too. It's always a good time for us.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Oh for god's sake

How do you know Black Widow will be hugely successful?

Personally I think people aren't going to be cramming theatres for lesser known characters like Eternals, but MCU is very much still a thing. Looking forward to the new films when they get them out.
That's what people said about Guardians of the Galaxy.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I miss an: I'll see the next one but I can easily wait another year or 2.

I was really getting fed up, so I'm kind of glad there is a hiatus. And if it was up to me the hiatus can last a little longer.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
I've been rewatching the MCU movies casually and it needed a break but I'm excited for the next new one.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Excited for Eternals, Thor Love and Thunder, Shang Chi, Doctor Strange 2, etc. but MCU definitely needed a bit of a break.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm done with the MCU when they finally gave me a proper F4 run. I dont mind if it's three or four movies like Avengers but the quality must be on the same level if not even above. Show the world that Mr. Fantastic can work in a real-life Film... after that I've no desire left for the comic book cinema

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd keep watching them even if they had one every month but nothing wrong with a bit of a break either.

Thankfully they got End Game and Spider-Man Far From Home out before the virus hit, because that really would have killed momentum but having a break at the end of the Infinity Saga feels like a natural place to have a break.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero excitement for Black Widow... but that is because it is Black Widow.

Now lets talk about The Eternal, Thor 4 Shang Chi, and others.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Was more hyped for Enternals than Widow, Widow was likely a wait till Blu Ray anyways, now it seems the 2021 stuff will either pushed to 2022 or pushed to the later half of that year.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
I think a break is good. Barely noticed a lack of MCU with everything thats going on

why the poll isn't better
OP
OP
xyla

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hahaha.

The Disney+ series are going to crank the hype machine back up, big time.

1a3okg3yr2z31.png

I believe the MCU has at least 2 more "Infinity Saga" left in it. They can do the Fantastic 4, Dr. Doom, Wolverine, X-Men/Mutants, Silver Surfer, Galactus.. not to mention, Spiderman alone has a treasure trove of characters and villains to explore. If they can keep playing ball with Sony and keep Tom Holland on board, the Spiderman films will always be a huge success.

I'm not the most well versed in Marvel knowledge, but if they can take something like Guardians of the Galaxy and make it a knockout success, they can take any obscure Marvel property and run with it.

Me personally, I'd love to see more off-Earth, cosmic Marvel films.

I haven't seen this sheet in a while - there's so much on there that I'm interested in. Did we get any update on the release schedule? Will they simply push stuff from 2020 into 2021 and condense their releases for that year or will they stretch stuff from 2021 to 2022 and so on?

(should have kept going? Are you serious???).

The premise of this entire thread is flawed because of your poll options. You needed to think this one through.

Fair enough - English isn't my first language. What I wanted to say with "can't wait for the next one (and they should have kept on going)" was that you didn't need a break. "they" was in this case intended to relate to the movies and not to Marvel as the one going on with releasing movies. That should have not read like Marvel should have gone on pushing movies into cinemas during a pandemic.

Anyways - that poll doesn't hold any empiric value. I just included it for fun.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough - English isn't my first language. What I wanted to say with "can't wait for the next one (and they should have kept on going)" was that you didn't need a break. "they" was in this case intended to relate to the movies and not to Marvel as the one going on with releasing movies. That should have not read like Marvel should have gone on pushing movies into cinemas during a pandemic.

Anyways - that poll doesn't hold any empiric value. I just included it for fun.
OK - I get the issue with English not being your first language. But it definitely skews the poll and thus the conversation. Which leads to my second point...

The poll is the first thing people see when they click on the thread. If your poll is wonky, it will absolutely influence how the thread goes.

OP
OP
xyla

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I definitely miss going to see MCU movies in theaters. But whenever they start again I really hope they make more effort about inclusivity and take more risks.

From the last few movies and from what they have announced for the Eternals and Tessa Thompson it seems like they are making progress on that end. The fact that they have announced Ms Marvel in itself gives me hope that Feige and his team know what they are doing in that regard.

OK - I get the issue with English not being your first language. But it definitely skews the poll and thus the conversation. Which leads to my second point...

The poll is the first thing people see when they click on the thread. If your poll is wonky, it will absolutely influence how the thread goes.

From what I read, besides some legitimate criticism and discussion about the poll itself, most people are talking about how they are feeling about the MCU right now - the latter part being exactly what I intended for this thread.

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
From what I read, besides some legitimate criticism and discussion about the poll itself, most people are talking about how they are feeling about the MCU right now - the latter part being exactly what I intended for this thread.
Then I'm probably over reacting, so apologies for that.

The poll could still be better though. :P

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread feels weird and more like a lighthouse for people to go "finally, a place where I can shit on it".

There's a massive gulf between "can't wait" and "don't care", which the poll is clearly missing.

Plus "should have kept going", we're in the middle of a goddamn pandemic.

Last edited:

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I love the MCU. It's by far the most exciting coolest "pop culture" thing for me personally of the past decade.

BUT I think this long timeout, coming right on the end of Endgame, puts them in danger somewhat. Feels hard for them to recapture that zeitgeist and momentum, whereas I think they could have just kept cruising to $1B box office receipts with Black Widow and Shang-Chi if there wouldn't have been a break.

I think the break clearly hurts them. It's serialized storytelling. It NEEDS that drip drip drip to keep people hooked in.

is this thread intended and used as a "the MCU is shit" echo chamber?
OP
OP
xyla

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Then I'm probably over reacting, so apologies for that.

The poll could still be better though. :P

No worries - it shows that you feel pretty passionate about the MCU.

I checked, but there's nothing I can do anymore. I could only add more options at this point.

Thread feels weird and more like a lighthouse for people to go "finally, a place where I can shit on it".

Not what's going on at all. I haven't seen one person shitting on the MCU in here so far. Plenty indicating that this was my intention with this thread though.

And I guess that's that. Don't wanna go justify this thread all the time. If you feel that the poll isn't right, I've explained why above. If you feel like the thread was made with malice intent - it was not. I won't reply to these posts anymore.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Was sick of the MCU years ago, and after Infinity War I started only seeing the ones I'm actually invested in or look interesting (so basically GOTG and Black Panther). No skin off my nose, I can't even tell you how little I care about Black Widow.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I was really looking forward to BW, and the delay has just made me sad I won't be seeing that or Eternals this year, and can't wait when I can see it next year.

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really the option that says

can't wait for the next one (and they should have kept on going)

should have just said

can't wait for the next one

There is an inherent irresponsibility in agreeing with the first wording, and no other option really coves the bases of someone who is still fully excited for the MCU. The rest show at least some semblance of being tired of it whether entirely or temporarily.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Can y'all imagine if Endgame had been stuck being postponed until it was safe to go to theaters?

Endgame and FFH's prologue were a good stopping point for me. Not that I'm not excited for more movies, but the only movie I'm anxiously waiting for is GotG 3. It's going to feel more like a reset having this long gap between phases, which is a good thing. I think it'll give people time to move on from Cap and IM and be more welcome to new teams and characters.

OP
OP
xyla

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Voted that a time out was good, but I think if circumstances were different (ie. no pandemic) they would have been fine to keep going. It does feel that enough people feel satisfied with Endgame marking a more formal ending point that they do have "start over" or at least do some more legwork to convince some audiences that what they have instore is still worth sticking around for and getting invested in. I think if GotG3 wasn't delayed out of 2020 due to Gunn being fired, it would be easier to maintain the momentum. I also think if Black Widow and Eternals would have been able to release as planned that more people would be slowly coming over along with how Far From Home already started that process despite people saying they were done a couple months before but then want to see what happens for Spidey.

Potentially, I feel like the delay might even push a smaller movie by MCU standards like BW to have an event character. It kinda feels like a comeback story due to the break and it might even help that this one might feel like a classic MCU origin story again where it's not intertwined with everything going on in the other movies.

No idea if Marvel is expecting Ant Man or Captain Marvel money for BW though.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Super amped for phase 4. I know its not a great look but the worst part about Covid was missing out on Black Widow.

And the people dying. And the economy crashing and people losing their jobs. But also Black Widow.

goshou

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing how they handled everything up until now, I can't wait for more.

I'm sure a lot of people saw Endgame as the perfect cap to 10 years, but there are some comic runs and characters I just can not wait to see on screen. I need the likes of Doom, Kang, Galactus, the Thunderbolts, Magneto, Annihilus or who knows what else they might decide to go with. I eagerly await the day I sit in the theater and cry tears over a scene something like this

I can see how a lot of people are attached to the first guard of the MCU and thus to them EndGame seems like, well, the end. But if they managed to make all of those characters household names, I bet they can do the same for an even wider range of characters and stories in the years to come.