Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
If you were a kid in the mid 2000s, you might remember Tamagotchi Connection - it was the followup to the OG Tamagotchi virtual pets from the 90s, the big new gimmick being that you could connect two devices together to have playdates and share items with friends. Though there were many different versions of the Connection, most would agree it truly hit its stride with the third iteration (V3), distinguishable from other versions by its stylish cell phone-like antenna. This opinion is definitely not colored by the fact that a black V3 was my first ever Tamagotchi.

However, in recent years the demand for the Connection line has risen significantly as those 2000s kids grew up and wanted to return to their childhood nostalgia, and they now go for outrageously inflated sums on sites like eBay. Depending on the particular shell design and condition of the toy, you can expect to pay anywhere between $80 - $150 for a single device that once went for twenty bucks and isn't even particularly rare. As a result, fans have begged and pleaded for Bandai to rerelease these beloved Tamas instead of putting out endless variations of the same old Gen 1/2 Tamagotchi, and after years of waiting... they've finally done it!

81e6GBAEpDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81FqKInvlJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81f6rhD6E1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That's right, a brand new release of the Tamagotchi Connection V3 went up for preorder on Amazon this morning for a very reasonable $30 and is set to ship in July, and it looks to have even more content than the original did. If this is successful I'd wager we'll even see the Connection V4 and beyond make their return as well, which featured additional mechanics like giving your Tamagotchi a job, raising an entire family, and having them start a band. Any other Tama fans excited to see the GOAT finally making its return?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Never knew about this one. I guess the fad died down in my age range before this one hit.

Pretty neat!

My wife bought a Tamagotchi last year and it's hilarious how quickly she got tired of it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I bet if they had Tamagotchi breeding they'd make serious bank.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Never knew about this one. I guess the fad died down in my age range before this one hit.

Pretty neat!

My wife bought a Tamagotchi last year and it's hilarious how quickly she got tired of it.

There was a 6 year gap between the last vintage Tamagotchi release and the Connection so it makes sense that you didn't hear about it, it was aimed at a different generation of kids.

I bet if they had Tamagotchi breeding they'd make serious bank.

The other big fan-favorite device is the Tamagotchi On which has exactly that, you can breed two Tamagotchi together to create a new one that has traits from both and continually gene mix with each new generation to your heart's content. Much like the Connection, it's also discontinued and commands insane secondhand prices. Maybe when the 2000s nostalgia has been fully mined they'll do a rerelease of that.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
You really had to be there for the OG Tamagotchi fad in the mid 90s. My mom put in serious work tracking down and driving hours to get one each for my sister and I. We still thank her to this day for her commitment to sparkle motion.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

A color screen would have been cool but judging by similar products like the Digimon Color and the new Detective Conan Tamagotchi Nano Colorful it would likely push the price point a lot higher. I'd imagine Bandai will be positioning this to replace the Gen 1/2 remakes that currently flood storefronts as the cheaper option compared to the $60 Tamagotchi Uni.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
I bought a gen 2 tamagotchi last year purely because of nostalgia. I could only ever get the plant-duck (second worst pet) because those things are NEEDY lol. But they look really good as retro accessories on a bag or whatever.