Votes: 1,253 63.2%
  • Selling it all off.

Votes: 157 7.9%
  • Nothing changes

Votes: 506 25.5%

• Total voters

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Will Microsoft continue to buy studios then grind them to dust? Will Xbox die? Will things kinda just stabilize? Will Xbox prove everyone wrong and rule the game industry for the next 100 years? Where's it all going? Cause I'm at a loss.

Uga

Oct 31, 2017
One last console cycle, with excellent hardware that no one will buy, while raking money as a gigantic publisher

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
They're gonna become 3DO, and then if they're lucky they'll become SEGA. Yet a lot of what lead them to this point was their internal policies throwing a wrench in software development in addition to piss-poor management of their studios, so even that seems like a best case scenario.

The fact that more people don't talk about the asinine 18-month contractors policy is maddening when it's the main reason both Forza and Halo have suffered in recent years.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I think it's become very clear that the road leads to them just morphing into a different version of what Activision already was. One of big 3rd party publishers.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
They're gonna become 3DO, and then if they're lucky they'll become SEGA. Yet a lot of what lead them to this point was their internal policies throwing a wrench in software development in addition to piss-poor management of their studios, so even that seems like a best case scenario.

The fact that more people don't talk about the asinine 18-month contractors policy is maddening when it's the main reason both Forza and Halo have suffered in recent years.

Good. It's been talked about. Microsoft is providing plenty of new content.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
A big ol third party publisher. It sounds like the CEO of Microsoft wants to go where the gamers are, and that is PC, PlayStation and Nintendo. Seems like it will get there.

Oct 29, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me if the current consoles are their last. I bet they'll do at least one more, though.

Why gamble on new hardware when you own COD and Diablo and the like? It's not like it's gone well for them the past decade.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I am old enough to remember when people were speculating about Nintendo going third-party.

I don't think that the three console manufacturers will change.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Business as usual. They have all the power, they're not going to change just because people on forums are mad at them.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Third party games is the most likely outcome, which is actually a bit bizarre when you look at Xbox as a whole.
Xbox makes good consoles, with a decent controller and good services.
The one thing they're bad at, and the main reason why they are not succesful is... making games.

Theory

Oct 27, 2017
Other than the obligatory- "they're headed straight for 3rd party publisher territory"…

I think their hardware will follow a similar trajectory to the surface line- will always be excellently built, but will never be widely adopted.

My guess is Phil genuinely is a good guy that has good intentions but he'll eventually move on (as opposed to being removed) and MS will never even attempt to be the "good guys" in gaming ever again.

They will eventually produce excellent "revival" type game releases for some of their most beloved IP but they will of course not have the impact they wouldve had if they'd released over the last 10 years.

And perhaps most controversial- the whole mantra/vision/strategy of "games for everyone, anywhere you wanna play, unified, consistent across every device ever" will never be fully realized. Which sucks for them but more so sucks for gamers cuz it'd be great. They will eventually settle into being just a regular third party publisher, albeit the biggest and most lucrative ever. Although there will be some signs of this philosophy over time, it'll never be meaningfully impactful or apparent in the way they'd hoped.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
They will do hardware for one more generation and after that does even worse than this gen will switch to being completely third party.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I think they've always been pretty open about their future.... They want game pass on every piece of hardware that can take it. They'll probably build xboxes like they build surface computers i.e. in low quantities because they don't sell much, almost like benchmark machines for others to follow. Maybe one day even create a gamepass OS and license it out to hardware makers. They'll want people playing their games everywhere. I think they've just realized their path to staying relevant in this competitive space is through games and services and not their own hardware.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're already on the path to going third party by porting their games to PS5.

Makes it hard sell to buy the next piece of hardware from Xbox.

Grizza

May 15, 2018
A terrible evaluator of talent. Ghostwire and Hi-Fi, as well as Prey are three of maybe the best twenty games I've played in the last 10 years. Astoundingly shortsighted for a company that needs talent more than sheer numbers. Can't see myself buying another Microsoft console after owning every one so far, so hopefully they'll go 3rd party.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Business as usual. They have all the power, they're not going to change just because people on forums are mad at them.

I don't think it's mad forum people that is the issue. It's a brand that followed up a struggling hardware sales generation with one trending even worse. A brand that almost doesn't exist in many markets.

They have a lot of money but I don't think a lot of power when it comes to moving hardware. Xbox just isn't competitive right now on that front.

Peatsickle

Oct 25, 2017
I expect them to continue to have an incoherent strategy, but that strategy will certainly involve publishing more games on other platforms.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I don't see it changing much for this current gen. MS owns so many studios and eventually will get things rolling. Who knows next gen though

Leancarp900

Feb 13, 2023
They will go third party. Xbox hardware still comes out but it's more akin to Steam Deck (hence the handheld rumours).

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more confident than ever that they will drop out of console making. They will go full third party that focuses on only big games like COD, Elder scrolls etc.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
I think this will be the last Xbox traditional gen. Next gen I think Xbox will be an open platform where you'll be able to install Steam, Epic, etc... Basically a Windows mini PC.

All their games will be multi at launch, maybe some timed exclusive for the biggest games.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Microsoft apparently just wants to be Activision, a giant third-party game developer and publisher, and they have now accomplished that. At the expense of their waffling gaming hardware division.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I think they will stick to their ever changing plans, so have xbox hardware nextgen, and at the same time be a big 3rd party publisher.

The portable xbox doesn't sound very realistic given the soc needed for that doesn't exist, maybe in a few years.

But for current gen I dont see much changing for them, they will support the Series consoles till the very end. If sales do continue to decline I think it will accelerate their output as a 3rd party publisher.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually they're going to transition into a massive third party publisher. They'll try and hold onto their hardware for as long as possible but I don't know how successful Xbox can be when their games are on much more successful hardware. And while I don't necessarily think it's a good thing I do eventually expect them to try and continue to acquire studios/pubs since that's the easiest path to growth.

Jul 2, 2021
Going full "multiplatform 3rd party publisher" on all platforms.

As a side-project they are going to create a $700 or $800 console for the few hardcore fans so they can keep saying they have "the most powerful hardware".

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
They have no reason to keep going for hardware.
If they want to start saving money, they will drop the most expensive part of the business.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
seems like they're turning into just another publisher, with all that entails. (risk averse, creatively bankrupt etc)

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Voted for nothing changes. I think it's wishful thinking that they exit the console-selling market and just serve the industry as a third party publisher but consider me not surprised at all when they formally announce their next gen console.