• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Pray for Grayjay and ReVanced.

In an update on Monday, YouTube writes that users accessing videos through a third-party ad blocking app may encounter buffering issues or see an error message that reads, "The following content is not available on this app."
Last year, YouTube "launched a global effort" to encourage users to allow ads while watching videos or upgrade to YouTube Premium. It also began disabling videos for users with an ad blocking extension enabled.
But now, YouTube says its policies don't allow "third-party apps to turn off ads because that prevents the creator from being rewarded for viewership." The block targets third-party apps that use YouTube's API to get videos interruption-free.

Sauce: https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/15/24131338/youtube-ad-blocker-crackdown-mobile-apps

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Shit has been happening to me in the main app though. Tends to work perfectly fine in ReVanced

r_rose

Mar 1, 2022
How's that war going these days anyway? I gave in pretty early on and signed up for Premium.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
And then when they get you yo watch the ads, the ads are 40 minutes long and play every 90 seconds (I WISH I was being hyperbolic) to try to force you to subscribe.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
adblockers is winning.

It seems to be the case, yeah.

YouTube's Crackdown On Ad Blockers Fuels Usage

The usage of adblockers is only growing as the online tracking landscape continues to evolve.

For example, 49% of Americans said that Big Tech's attempts to enforce advertising and tracking – like Google's crackdown on YouTube adblocking and browser changes like Manifest V3 – have increased their willingness to use an adblocker. In addition to usage:
  • A third of Americans believe that adblockers should be federally protected – a move that even 38% of experienced advertisers support
  • 38% of Americans believe they should be able to choose when they see ads online
  • 26% of Americans believe the internet should be ad-free by default
www.ghostery.com

Who’s In the Know: The Privacy Pulse Report | Ghostery

Ghostery research finds that industry insiders are significantly more likely to use adblockers and be more skeptical of their online safety, underscoring concerns about the current severity of user tracking

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Manifest V3 is coming in 2 months so if you care about blocking ads and other privacy settings, you'll have to switch to a non-Chromium browser soon.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
AB working great on Chrome, but yeah, it's kind of a pain to keep up with ReVanced from time to time. Hopefully it never dies, as I can't imagine ever going back to normal YouTube.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even without Revanced, I am never, ever paying for Premium

Aug 31, 2019
How's that war going these days anyway? I gave in pretty early on and signed up for Premium.
I think considering it a war doesn't give YouTube / Google enough credit, or at least gives the incorrect impression that they are trying to stop people blocking ads but are failing to do so. I'm sure they are detecting people using ad blockers perfectly accurately, ublock can't solve that. They are choosing not to punish those people because in their experiments it didn't pan out for them. The challenge for them isn't technical it's cultural. How do you stop people from using ad blockers without getting a bunch of negative sentiment and perhaps even losing your audience, that kind of thing.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really had no problem during the heaviest skirmishing beyond having to make sure my ublock was updated a couple of times. It's been months since there was any issue at all.

I think considering it a war doesn't give YouTube / Google enough credit, or at least gives the incorrect impression that they are trying to stop people blocking ads but are failing to do so. I'm sure they are detecting people using ad blockers perfectly accurately, ublock can't solve that. They are choosing not to punish those people because in their experiments it didn't pan out for them. The challenge for them isn't technical it's cultural. How do you stop people from using ad blockers without getting a bunch of negative sentiment and perhaps even losing your audience, that kind of thing.
Are they even trying to get people to tolerate ads or win people over culturally though? It seems clear they are trying to make ads so terrible that you are forced to subscribe. Because if they were serious, they wouldn't have turned the site into an ad hellscape with only two options out of it: blocking ads or premium. They also aren't making premium very attractive for various reasons, including upping the price beyond a full Netflix sub and bundling Music. There are so many more things they could do to make ads more palatable for people who can tolerate them, and making premium better value for those who can't.

Personally, I think it's a war, but then I also think our whole socioeconomic system is a class war anyway, so I am inclined towards seeing it like that.

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
I use YouTube on my TV less and less because I can't adblock.

The ads are insane nowadays. Basically unwatchable.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
seems they gave up trying to block my adblock on my end, haven't had to reset it for months. Even my work computer comes with adblock that works perfectly fine.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Until I can swipe up and down on a full screen player to change volume and brightness settings, among other gestures Revanced has that the native app stupidly lacks, they can continue to play the dance game with me.

TimotheusNL

Banned
Jun 9, 2023
I use YouTube on my TV less and less because I can't adblock.

The ads are insane nowadays. Basically unwatchable.

This is what made me sign up for premium. I don't watch Youtube on a desktop PC ever, but I do watch it on tablet and on the living room TV.

I truly hate that i'm paying for no ads, but it is impossible to go back to the ads.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
uBlock for browsers, smarttube for firesticks and revanced for tablets/phones still working great for me. Every so often revanced needs some tinkering and reinstalling when youtube try to nerf it, but the devs are always well on top of things.

Roboraptor

Jul 6, 2023
Germany 🇩🇪
It was inevitable with stuff like Revanced being advertised all over the internet by multiple people as soon as the topic of ads on YouTube comes up.

I wouldn't be surprised if that one ends up being Youtube's main target due to this

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Manifest V3 is coming in 2 months so if you care about blocking ads and other privacy settings, you'll have to switch to a non-Chromium browser soon.
This seems like something that will actively drive people away from Chrome (and potential Chromium-based browsers their hands are tied).

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017
As with most things in tech, a game of never ending cat and mouse.

Whatever YouTube does, some adblocker will find a way around it. Whilst that continues going on, some users will eventually get so tired that they'll go for Premium, much like you did.

Either to get out from under the bombardment of ads or to support their favourite creators.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Modified YouTube clients are *very* easy to block or degrade on Android if Google really wants to. It's a lot easier than detecting browser as blocking. And far, far, far harder to get around without root (and Google can trivially detect root on modern hardware).

They could start by not making the ads so ridiculously frequent. I didn't mind having ads on mobile until videos became slathered with them and I would see unskippable ads that's longer than the short form videos I would watch.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
All they had to do 20 years ago was stopping online ads to be massive malware vectors and autoplaying Flash nightmares that weighted 100x the content you were trying to see and hijacked the whole window. Now that well is poisoned and there's a whole generation of people that don't want to see an ad ever again and will install adblockers in all their familys' PCs too since that alone can cut tech support time to almost zero because the malware part never stopped, good luck with that.

All they had to do 20 years ago was stopping online ads to be massive malware vectors and autoplaying Flash nightmares that weighted 100x the content you were trying to see and hijacked the whole window. Now that well is poisoned and there's a whole generation of people that don't want to see an ad ever again and will install adblockers in all their familys' PCs too since that alone can cut tech support time to almost zero because the malware part never stopped, good luck with that.
It cannot be overstated how badly ad services fucked everything up for themselves.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
They're failing miserably anyway. They somehow block my adblock and the next day it just works again without me having to do anything.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, lately i have buffering issues with Revanced on mobile (but everything is fine with smarttube on android tv and uBlock+yt on pc)

Dec 11, 2017
I've been using the Vinegar Safari extension on iOS for ages but it's been pretty flakey the past two weeks. That being said, I have a couple of RSS/read later apps and YouTube clips load up perfectly fine in there, ad-free.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Ublock works perfectly so far. The last time I had to manually update the lists was 2-3 months ago or so.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The site, much like the Internet at large these days, is a completely unusable mess in its default state. They can keep trying to fight revanced but the only thing they'll achieve should they actually win is I'll just stop using their crappy site all together.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they just kinda lost the war to adblockers - I'm admittedly not the heaviest user of YouTube but I never at any point even had to turn off my adblocker to watch YouTube since the crackdown began.

uBlock just continues to work fine.