• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
These efforts aren't failing like people claim they are in these threads. Even within this relatively small community there are folks in these threads admitting they gave up and got Premium.

Watching folks in these threads reminds me of all the Netflix password sharing threads.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Want me to sign up for premium? Lower the price to a reasonable amount and decouple it from music and any other bullshit I will never want or use.

Until then…

Aug 31, 2019
All they had to do 20 years ago was stopping online ads to be massive malware vectors and autoplaying Flash nightmares that weighted 100x the content you were trying to see and hijacked the whole window. Now that well is poisoned and there's a whole generation of people that don't want to see an ad ever again and will install adblockers in all their familys' PCs too since that alone can cut tech support time to almost zero because the malware part never stopped, good luck with that.
I used to be radically anti ad blockers back in the early 2000s, with the attitude that ads are how the money is made to make the website you're reading and you should respect that, and if ads became really bad you should just vote with your clicks and not go to that website.

Then two things happened. Firstly, every website went bad, and there was no practical escape from eye searing attention grabbing scum tier garbage. And secondly, within a couple of days of each other: some massive website (Wired? Ars?) did a stunt where they detected ad blockers and redirected you to an article about how ad blocking is killing the internet; and also accidentally served malware through its ad platform.

I don't know what the solution is, but it isn't the massive dark web of millisecond ad billing where dozens of arbitrary companies, 10 degrees of separation from the actual website admins, get to harvest your data while injecting arbitrary untrusted javascript to run on your computer, or serve you arbitrary images with arbitrary links of any dubious quality or safety.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I feel like they just kinda lost the war to adblockers - I'm admittedly not the heaviest user of YouTube but I never at any point even had to turn off my adblocker to watch YouTube since the crackdown began.

uBlock just continues to work fine.
Exactly this. uBlock has not failed me at all since all this started, never once did I see the screen saying for me to stop using an adblocker

Mar 11, 2020
i don't understand why they aren't adjusting the ad model. Charge companies more for less ads. As more and more eyeballs move towards places like Youtube, they need to be adapting and them forcing more ads lately is just driving more people to adblockers. If people just had to sit through one 30 sec ad at the beginning most wouldn't care. There's like 45 min ads sometimes if you don't skip multiple times throughout any length video, goddamn it's insane.

I'm so fucking sick of drug ads too, why the US hasn't fucking banned them is beyond me. That is your dr's choice of what's best not yours.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
i don't understand why they aren't adjusting the ad model. Charge companies more for less ads. As more and more eyeballs move towards places like Youtube, they need to be adapting and them forcing more ads lately is just driving more people to adblockers. If people just had to sit through one 30 sec ad at the beginning most wouldn't care. There's like 45 min ads sometimes if you don't skip multiple times throughout any length video, goddamn it's insane.

Yeah its nuts. Someone sent me a 2 minute video about one of our politicians saying something the other day. So i clicked on it with my mobile to watch it. I had a 30 second ad to start the video...thankfully i could skip after 10 seconds. But then i had a 45 second ad right after i could not skip! Like the ads are almost longer than the video i want to watch.

Id have no issue watching if i felt it was fair. But they are very bad right now.

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
Well this looks like a good place for me to just bang out everything I know:

Browser
Ublock Origin - Ad blocking browser extension for both chrome and firefox for using the official site
Piped - Alternative frontend - I selfhost my own one, it works really well
Invidious - Alternative frontend
Poke - Dunno thought it was cute

Android TV/Fire TV etc
SmartTube - The best youtube tv app.

Android
LibreTube - I have tried this one and liked it. Piped API.
NewPipe - Joins multiple services together (Youtube, Peertube, Soundcloud etc). Not related to Piped.
Tubular - NewPipe fork with Sponsorblock.
Vibe You - Music focused. PIped API.
Harmony Music - Music focused. Piped API. Also has Windows and Linux clients.

Android/iOS/MacOS/Linux/Windows
Spotube - Combines Youtube/Piped sources to use with your Spotify account. Most of the benefits of premium Spotify for free. Bespoke clients for each platform.

Linux/Windows/MacOS
FreeTube - Private frontend for your desktop.

iOS/MacOS/Apple TV(TV OS)
Yattee - Privacy oriented video player for iOS, tvOS and macOS. Uses Piped API.

Linux/Linux Phone
AudioTube - Youtube Music

Not an exhaustive list but should cover everyones bases. Expect bits of jank as youtube flounders around trying to break things. I would just ask that people donate to both the people they watch and any open source projects they use if possible.

Apple TV, sadly. No good solution for that yet.
Check out Yattee above.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to justify watching YT without Premium on Apple TV or anywhere you can't adblock it, the ads are actually insane. So many of them, so frequent and so long.

I did have Premium but I can't justify it while they have it bundled with their shitty music app. Put ad-free separate for a lower cost and I'll likely do it.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Ads are like a continuous stream of psychic damage, an assault on our senses.
Seriously, even looking at it from a "well, I found something I liked cause of an ad." Seriously, how often does one see an ad for a thing and really think you need that thing? How many ads do you need to suffer through before that happens? It is outrageous. And don't even get me started on how in the USA medical ads are allowed.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
F em.

I gave up YouTube a long time ago after had enough with egregious ads.

Vanced showed me the light.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The ad blockers are definitely winnning though cos I haven't seen an ad or warning in months.

Any friction that causes a new subscriber is a win for YouTube. It doesn't matter if some folks are still working around it, same for the sharing crackdown on Netflix (where yeah some people still can do it, but they boosted their subscriptions anyway).

Mar 11, 2020
Those that say "there are no solutions for me coz I watch YouTube on (device that can't have uBlock Origin or Revanced)", well, you can invest a one-time fee into getting a Raspeberry Pi and getting Pi Hole installed on that so you can route all your web traffic of your whole network through it. Then, no stupid app, be it your PCs, tablets, TVs... can't show any adverts whatsoever.

There is a solution. See above. Cost a bit of money but it's a one-time fee and you're set for anything.
I thought pihole stopped working now. They made some sort of change i remember reading about that it really doesn't work anymore.

But what you can do is just set up a microcomputer with a raspberry pi and just run youtube through it with adblockers

According to this Pi Hole never worked with Youtube ads.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/18ca7xd/does_pihole_currently_work_on_youtube_dec_6/

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Their war can't be going too well. My ad blocker still works just fine when I watch videos on my laptop. It will stutter for just a second as it slips past the ads, but then it works just fine.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ads are like a continuous stream of psychic damage, an assault on our senses.
Seriously, even looking at it from a "well, I found something I liked cause of an ad." Seriously, how often does one see an ad for a thing and really think you need that thing? How many ads do you need to suffer through before that happens? It is outrageous. And don't even get me started on how in the USA medical ads are allowed.
Most of advertising is about keeping something in your mind, rather than introducing you to something new. Not that that's any better.

May 24, 2021
All they had to do 20 years ago was stopping online ads to be massive malware vectors and autoplaying Flash nightmares that weighted 100x the content you were trying to see and hijacked the whole window. Now that well is poisoned and there's a whole generation of people that don't want to see an ad ever again and will install adblockers in all their familys' PCs too since that alone can cut tech support time to almost zero because the malware part never stopped, good luck with that.

This is me.

To this day, the instant something slips through, I immediately (ironically) google how to stop it. And if I needed, I will literally sit there and spend an hour or more trying to figure out how to do whatever it is I need to do.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Any friction that causes a new subscriber is a win for YouTube. It doesn't matter if some folks are still working around it, same for the sharing crackdown on Netflix (where yeah some people still can do it, but they boosted their subscriptions anyway).
Of course but that friction has been completely removed. I doubt it moved the needle too much but any boost is good for Google obviously.

Vertigo1

Jun 30, 2023
Firefox + uBlock Origin still working great. I haven't had any issues in months.

Keep losing, youtube.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I've used uBlock for so long outside of a few whitelisted sites because it's too hard to protect oneself from malware otherwise. And of course if you get malware from x or y site they aren't going to reimburse you or anything. Not having to slog through tons of ads on yt is a nice bonus admittedly

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be willing to pay if the price was reasonable.
But paying to skip ads does nothing for sponsorships in videos, and I have no interest in YT Music - which they insist on bundling with it here.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
This is precisely why I will never be convinced to stop using adblockers. Companies involved with Internet advertising made their bed, and the same shitty practices continue to this day.

Teusery

May 18, 2022
Yes. I did not seek out my first adblocker as a child because I didn't want to be advertised Cheetos. Those ads were spamming my screen with new pages, stealing my cursor, and trapping me in an Infinite Tsukuyomi when I tried to press back out of their webpage. I have waged war against them ever since.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I did not seek out my first adblocker as a child because I didn't want to be advertised Cheetos. Those ads were spamming my screen with new pages, stealing my cursor, and trapping me in an Infinite Tsukuyomi when I tried to press back out of their webpage. I have waged war against them ever since.
I still have memories of ads literally installing viruses, switching your default browser and homepage, and of course you could not search for anti-malware on said browser. As a teenager I didn't have much choice, I had to redo a complete Windows installation for a clean state.
Granted that was like 25 years ago but it left a mark on me, I will forever block ads whenever I can without remorse, I guess except in very rare cases with a trust worthy website I often would use.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I still have memories of ads literally installing viruses, switching your default browser and homepage, and of course you could not search for anti-malware on said browser. As a teenager I didn't have much choice, I had to redo a complete Windows installation for a clean state.
Granted that was like 25 years ago but it left a mark on me, I will forever block ads whenever I can without remorse, I guess except in very rare cases with a trust worthy website I often would use.

If only they stopped serving malware, but nope, that's still a common occurence no matter how much ad networks keep denying it and claiming it's a problem of the past. And I know this is anecdotal evidence but having my father reach out to me, my sister or my brother in law with "the computer is acting weird" once every 2-3 weeks and either of us finding out some scareware or browser hijacker installed itself to none of this calls ever happening again for the past 4-5 years after installing uBlock tells me everything I need to know.

Mar 11, 2020
If only they stopped serving malware, but nope, that's still a common occurence no matter how much ad networks keep denying it and claiming it's a problem of the past. And I know this is anecdotal evidence but having my father reach out to me, my sister or my brother in law with "the computer is acting weird" once every 2-3 weeks and either of us finding out some scareware or browser hijacker installed itself to none of this calls ever happening again for the past 4-5 years after installing uBlock tells me everything I need to know.
Browser notifications is the new browser toolbar issue of this age. People keep clicking to accept notifications on sites without paying to attention to what they are clicking and it then adds site notifications and that's where they are trying to scare people with virus popups now. Deal with every day at work.

Funny enough we still had a few users download this Onelaunch toolbar for no reason and we still don't know where that came from but had to remove that any time we see it. Lol they call in about another issue then we see it and ask about it and they are like IDK what that is. LOL

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely.
I got hit with both types of ads, which was lowkey traumatizing to deal with. After a decade of that nonsense I will not trust ads and still won't for the foreseeable future. Ad companies literally only have themselves to blame.

TriceraPops

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, uBlock blocks ads on youtube? I have it enabled, and I still get ads. Is there a setting I'm missing?

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, uBlock blocks ads on youtube? I have it enabled, and I still get ads. Is there a setting I'm missing?
Go in to: uBlock Origin settings > Filter Lists and make sure all the filters under built-in are checked. Also click "update now" at the top. Double check if "auto-update" checkbox is on.

If that doesn't work then reinstall the extension. I guarantee you it works. I double checked it.

Coolent

Apr 13, 2024
Ok I got a question for people who use ad blockers for YouTube. Since your blocking ads for YouTube why do a lot of you guys feel so entitled to get YouTube for free. OK you don't want to pay for premium sure but YouTube is a private company. Watching video while ad block is just a drain on their resources. Before anyone says YouTube makes a whole bunch of money sure that is true but you still at least need to pitch in once in a while by paying or watching ads. YouTube doesn't own us anything or we own the anything.

I've been closely following future video insert ad blocking technologies and it looks scary. They have a unlimited amount of ways that they can inject ads into the video or screw up ad blockers. Hell some adult video websites are almost impossible to use any ad blockers and that tech will make it to YouTube and all the the other web sites in the future. Its a matter of WHEN will ad blockers stop working not IF.

And for the record just so that you know I dont care 2 damn about all these big companies.

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
Ok I got a question for people who use ad blockers for YouTube. Since your blocking ads for YouTube why do a lot of you guys feel so entitled to get YouTube for free. OK you don't want to pay for premium sure but YouTube is a private company. Watching video while ad block is just a drain on their resources. Before anyone says YouTube makes a whole bunch of money sure that is true but you still at least need to pitch in once in a while by paying or watching ads. YouTube doesn't own us anything or we own the anything.

I've been closely following future video insert ad blocking technologies and it looks scary. They have a unlimited amount of ways that they can inject ads into the video or screw up ad blockers. Hell some adult video websites are almost impossible to use any ad blockers and that tech will make it to YouTube and all the the other web sites in the future. Its a matter of WHEN will ad blockers stop working not IF.

And for the record just so that you know I dont care 2 damn about all these big companies.
I only speak for myself here. There's so many reasons that you may want to block ads. Mine is more political in nature alongside the obvious: Ads suck.

Very odd question. You answer it yourself. I don't care about all these big companies. Especially one that walls in creators and viewers alike with its monopolistic position. In fact I'm actively hoping for them to fail so we can move to something more sustainable, i.e. Peertube.

The ad economy is dying. The sooner viable donation based alternatives are adopted the better it will be for everyone, especially creators. Peertube actually cares about the people making the videos. To that end draining Youtubes resources is more a feature in my eyes.

Remember (nearly all) creators would earn more from you by donating them a quid for the whole year than any possible ad revenue.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

Personally I don't see ads as being a major malware vector anymore.
  • Windows generally does a pretty thorough job of preventing adware on its own, ever since they added "unwanted programs" as a category of things they block. If anything, I tend to find it a bit too aggressive.
  • Browsers have implemented sandboxing to make it much harder for websites to do anything that touches your computer outside of the browser itself.
  • People tend to stick to a few large websites served by a few large ad networks these days, and it is rarer to go to random small sites served by sketchy ad networks.
  • People also do more of their browsing on mobile devices, where there is even more sandboxing.
I understand using an ad blocker for the annoyance factor, but the security angle feels more and more like an empty justification these days. Particularly in the context of Youtube.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
I'm not going to pay Youtube to avoid having to sit through ads some right-wing chud paid to be served to me. I've seen some horrible stuff on the Youtube TV app without adblock.

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god they lost this one. I had to open youtube in a private window for maybe 2 days a month or two back and everything has been golden since then. With all the hatred they allow I will never give them a red cent. If I REALLY like a creator I let them slide for that video but its really rare.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
It's still worth mentioning that forcing Manifest V3 extensions in all chromium based browsers (Chrome, Opera, Edge, and more) come this Summer will greatly reduce the effectivity of ad-blocking extensions (ELI5: extensions won't have the final say of what loads and what doesn't in a website, with the browser keeping that power) and now it's a good moment to consider migrating to Firefox.

Oct 19, 2023
YouTube isn't entitled to a user's attention or their sympathy because they don't like ad blockers or their bottom line takes a hit. The user is well within their rights to control what displays on their computer and who's tracking their behavior.

If multi billion dollar companies don't like that too bad. A notable amount of their employees block ads because they know about the downsides. Forget them.

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
uBlock never stopped working for me once.

Not that I'll ever turn it off, the site is a nightmare without it, but they got some audacity. Even in my left leaning, mostly gaming related search history I get ads by right wing chuds and fucking gross out/clickbait shock shorts down my throat the few rare instances I use the cesspool without a blocker, the shit is unavoidable. They can get bent.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
It's still worth mentioning that forcing Manifest V3 extensions in all chromium based browsers (Chrome, Opera, Edge, and more) come this Summer will greatly reduce the effectivity of ad-blocking extensions (ELI5: extensions won't have the final say of what loads and what doesn't in a website, with the browser keeping that power) and now it's a good moment to consider migrating to Firefox.

I'm currently using Vivaldi and really want to switch to Firefox, but the lack of a tab bar on the Android version makes the browser so cumbersome to use.

Firefox's mobile browser really needs an overhaul (which is frustrating, since the current version is the overhaul).

Mozilla scraped a perfectly good Android browser for the current dumpster-fire that is Android Firefox, and sadly, I don't think anything is going to change.

Last edited:

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017
I use YouTube on my TV less and less because I can't adblock.

The ads are insane nowadays. Basically unwatchable.

This is so true; I tried to put on a live concert in the background while doing some housework a few days ago. Before the first two songs ended, I already had 3 commercial breaks, starting mid-song. The last one would have gone on for 75 seconds if I didn't skip it manually. Also, the volume on the ads was SO much louder than the video itself that I couldn't turn it up to a normal listening volume, without my speakers breaking when a commercial came on. Needless to say I turned it off after that third commercial.

On my laptop and Android Brave browser is still blocking those ads like a champ.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Personally I don't see ads as being a major malware vector anymore.
  • Windows generally does a pretty thorough job of preventing adware on its own, ever since they added "unwanted programs" as a category of things they block. If anything, I tend to find it a bit too aggressive.
  • Browsers have implemented sandboxing to make it much harder for websites to do anything that touches your computer outside of the browser itself.
  • People tend to stick to a few large websites served by a few large ad networks these days, and it is rarer to go to random small sites served by sketchy ad networks.
  • People also do more of their browsing on mobile devices, where there is even more sandboxing.
I understand using an ad blocker for the annoyance factor, but the security angle feels more and more like an empty justification these days. Particularly in the context of Youtube.
As one of the people in charge of cybersecurity in the company I work for, I disagree completely with this affirmation: Ads are, by far, the biggest risk factor we deal with in stopping malware from infecting our machines, and that's because no matter how big those ad networks are they're simply not doing a good enough job in screening the ads they're showing, and what's worse, some "enterprising" actors are beginning to exploit vulnerabilities unchecked because in many cases the ads are simply pushed out into the webpage without sanity checks.