• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this posted on Night School Studio's(developer of Oxenfree) Youtube channel. I love Oxenfree so am really excited.

Here's the blurb:

In Afterparty, you are Milo and Lola, recently deceased best buds who suddenly find themselves staring down an eternity in Hell. But there's a loophole: outdrink Satan and he'll grant you re-entry to Earth. Coming 2019.

Edit: Here's the teaser they released in March for people who haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:

Red_V2

Oct 25, 2017
I fucked with Oxenfree a lot and this is a really cool idea. I'm super duper in.

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed Oxenfree and the premise for this sounds dope. I'm excited for this.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna watch the video but the synopsis sounds great and Oxenfree was good so I'm in.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
It looks really cool, even cooler than Oxenfree. Can't wait, one of my most anticipated for next year

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Okay this sounds awesome. Played Oxenfree just a couple months ago finally and loved it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oxenfree was like a much better acted, better premise 2D version of life is strange...with more likeable characters. I loved it. Im in for whatever else they're making.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Loved Oxenfree so yeah, I'll grab this. I think I'll end up preferring Oxenfree with its weird creepy ghost shit to this seemingly more upbeat and fun hell barcrawl, but we'll see.

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely adored Oxenfree! I'm loving the new semi 3D-ish perspective. The premise for Afterparty sounds like a fun concept too. There seem to be less of a focus on horror this time round. More urban fantasy-ish-- which is a bit of a bummer. I'm still super excited for the game though.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Oh my goodness it's the next game from the Oxenfree devs, in

bonus points for Janina being one of the two leads too

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Are characters going to speak over each other again? If so, hard pass, even as a freebie. Not everyone is born native-English speaker. Even though Oxenfree was in later parts great, but when you reunited with more than one other character, it was fucking shitshow.

Not the mention that many times you have to react before the other character finish his/her line, which is extremely dumb and annoying.

Such a dumb mistake for possible great game.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't finish Oxenfree but I liked the idea of it, I'll give this a go.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Are characters going to speak over each other again? If so, hard pass, even as a freebie. Not everyone is born native-English speaker. Even though Oxenfree was in later parts great, but when you reunited with more than one other character, it was fucking shitshow.

Not the mention that many times you have to react before the other character finish his/her line, which is extremely dumb and annoying.

Such a dumb mistake for possible great game.

That seems like a really hard line to take for something that could be solved with subtitles

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
If it's like Oxenfree I'm out, I couldn't stand that game and I usually love this type of game too. But for some reason Oxenfree really rubbed me the wrong way and I wanted every character to just die.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
That seems like a really hard line to take for something that could be solved with subtitles
Subtitles is over each other, in those bubbles and sorry it's hard to read screen long dialogue and watch what my character should say at the same time and I don't think I read slowly, as a dyslectic I see words more like a shapes/pictures and even then it was too fast. Actually many friends in here and who I know which have English as a second language had this problem.

Which is a shame, since if this would be better spaced out, I think Oxenfree would be really good game.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, I was really late to the party with Oxenfree, but I loved it. Won't wait long with this one. :)

HighlanderCZ

Oct 28, 2017
What a coincidence, I finally started playing Oxenfree last night, but had to give up after couple hours - I didn't like anyone (except for the player character, I guess) and sometimes dialogue would play out in such a way that my choices had already faded out by the time I read them and weighed the consequences, yet the person I was supposed to be replying to still wasn't finished talking.

Still, I'm willing to give this a try.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
What a coincidence, I finally started playing Oxenfree last night, but had to give up after couple hours - I didn't like anyone (except for the player character, I guess) and sometimes dialogue would play out in such a way that my choices had already faded out by the time I read them and weighed the consequences, yet the person I was supposed to be replying to still wasn't finished talking.

As it seems I am not the only one in this thread and we are on the page 1.

EDIT: HighlanderCZ

Ohh...

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Loved Oxenfree and am really hyped about this game. I watched some of the video when it went up but stopped about halfway through. I've been sold on the game since they announced the concept and don't want to see too much.

The point is that you're supposed to interrupt people, or overlap them, the way humans tend to actually engage in real life but seldom do in media. If you wait too long, the opportunity to speak passes you by. Just like in real life.

I love it, personally. It felt really natural to me. When you respond matters just as much as how in terms of how the conversation feels.

Also, Clarissa is the best. This is indisputable fact.

HighlanderCZ

Oct 28, 2017
Loved Oxenfree and am really hyped about this game. I watched some of the video when it went up but stopped about halfway through. I've been sold on the game since they announced the concept and don't want to see too much.

The point is that you're supposed to interrupt people, or overlap them, the way humans tend to actually engage in real life but seldom do in media. If you wait too long, the opportunity to speak passes you by. Just like in real life.

I love it, personally. It felt really natural to me. When you respond matters just as much as how in terms of how the conversation feels.

Also, Clarissa is the best. This is indisputable fact.

I get that it was intentional, and I get why some people love it the way it is, I really do. My main personal issue is specifically with how quickly the options fade out most of the time - I guess it's down to me not being a native English speaker, I was simply unable to a) listen to what the character is saying while b) reading my options and c) trying to determine consequences of choosing said options. I understand it's done to make the dialogue feel more natural, and it manages to work in some places, but falls apart most of the time *for me*. Alpha Protocol is one example of a game that made timed dialogue work much better, imo.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I thought Oxenfree's dialog system was really innovative but didn't like the game so much; too much walking around with little happening. Hopefully Afterparty improves in those areas.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I get that it was intentional, and I get why some people love it the way it is, I really do. My main personal issue is specifically with how quickly the options fade out most of the time - I guess it's down to me not being a native English speaker, I was simply unable to a) listen to what the character is saying while b) reading my options and c) trying to determine consequences of choosing said options. I understand it's done to make the dialogue feel more natural, and it manages to work in some places, but falls apart most of the time *for me*. Alpha Protocol is one example of a game that made timed dialogue work much better, imo.

Definitely not a criticism of you specifically, to be clear, more a recommendation to try allowing yourself to interrupt more if you wanted to give the game another go. I know most people who are super into storytelling focused games tend to be almost conditioned so that we need to let everyone finish and hear it all, and I found that change in Oxenfree almost liberating. I hadn't fully considered the barrier for people who aren't native speakers before this thread, however, which is definitely unfortunate.

Oct 27, 2017
Will check out the video later but I'm not really gripped by the premise. Shame, because I really enjoyed Oxenfree. Might change my mind though.