Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Nice to see this game succeed and to have some positive industry news too. Turn based fantasy strategy is a niche genre in itself, and Triumph has been at it for decades.

Today, we celebrate the first anniversary of Age of Wonders 4! This milestone could not have been achieved without you, our fans and players. Our journey with Age of Wonders began nearly three decades ago when Triumph's co-founder, Arno van Wingerden, and I envisioned creating a genre-blending strategy role-playing game. This dream allowed players to govern a fantasy realm set within an expansive, magical world. Age of Wonders 4 is our most successful execution of this vision to date. It offers unprecedented freedom in faction creation and strategic development, enriching both the core gameplay and role-playing experiences. This first year since release, with its intense development and feedback cycle has made the game even better.

And there's more good news. Triumph will continue to develop Age of Wonders 4 beyond the current Premium Edition. We are working on more free updates and thrilling premium content. We're eager to share more details with you after the summer. But first, get ready for the Eldritch Realms expansion in June!

store.steampowered.com

Age of Wonders 4 - Celebrating One Year of Age of Wonders 4! - Steam News

Dear AoW Community, Today, we celebrate the first anniversary of Age of Wonders 4! This milestone could not have been achieved without you, our fans and players. Our journey with Age of Wonders began nearly three decades ago when Triumph’s co-founder, Arno van Wingerden, and I envisioned...

Also, some statistics collected from the games. Players have created over 4 million factions so far. Proud to see Barbarians as the most popular culture.

0a44608f55268cac9137c8ee0d7d24e93751b689.png

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game last year, tried one game but didn't really know if I was playing well or even if I was making the game progress. I also didn't like the battles; felt shallow and superficial.

Maybe I should give the game another shot by automating the fights, and see if I can get more of a handle of what the game expects of me.

Feb 27, 2019
Hell yeah! Game is fantastic and I feel like I've only scratched the surface of it. Glad to hear they'll be supporting it further!

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
Still my favorite 4X strategy game, and it's not even really close. One of my top games of all time, and it just keeps getting better and better. I was so f'ing pumped to see this news, I'd buy a second season pass type of deal with 4 more DLCs planned for 2024-2025, and not even hesitate.

OP
OP
Paroni

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Great game that mixes some elements from two of my most played games: Heroes 3 and Civilization 6. Should I buy the DLC for the game?
It is not essential, but it is well made. You should get good idea if you want to play with new cultures and books from reading DLC descriptions.

OP
OP
Paroni

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I bought this game last year, tried one game but didn't really know if I was playing well or even if I was making the game progress. I also didn't like the battles; felt shallow and superficial.

Maybe I should give the game another shot by automating the fights, and see if I can get more of a handle of what the game expects of me.
Just autofighting battles that seem mundane is a good idea, doing them can get tedious. The auto-resolve is also pretty decent, and you get to retry the fight manually if you get auto-resolve result you don't like and think you could avoid with manual control.

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
Haven't played AoW4 but I enjoyed what little I played of 3 (got it during a Steam giveaway years ago and didn't actually install it until a couple months ago) and I picked up all of the older games on sale to check them out sometime.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The ascension mechanic they added is really fun. You can toggle of visibility of minor transformations and if you win you can keep all major and minor transformations for the next time you use that hero (or if they're an AI etc). You also get ascension traits (hero abilities you only get by ascension)

Basically means you can create custom super rulers/hero that can show up in your matches. Basically make the matches harder or easy either by using your ascended rulers or have them show up as enemies making the matches evolve the rulers you ascend.