• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Yeah this seems like a significant step towards making AI understand the real world, which is one of the major roadblocks towards AGI. Now if only AI safety research would make similar leaps...

If I understood correctly (which is certainly not guaranteed) and this approach carries a consensus (also not guaranteed), then part of the appeal of this is not only effectiveness of the model, but that it improves safety.

Specifically by simplifying the base mathematics, increasing decision-making transparency and somewhat eliminating the 'black box' problem.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
If I understood correctly (which is certainly not guaranteed) and this approach carries a consensus (also not guaranteed), then part of the appeal of this is not only effectiveness of the model, but that it improves safety.

Specifically by simplifying the base mathematics, increasing decision-making transparency and somewhat eliminating the 'black box' problem.

Good point. Sadly my search for AI safety information in regard to liquid networks came up pretty short. The question seems to be whether "less neurons = easier to interpret" holds up if the fewer neurons perform more complex tasks, especially since the neurons may have to work a lot more to get complex tasks done. Still better than a black box though.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Good point. Sadly my search for AI safety information in regard to liquid networks came up pretty short. The question seems to be whether "less neurons = easier to interpret" holds up if the fewer neurons perform more complex tasks, especially since the neurons may have to work a lot more to get complex tasks done. Still better than a black box though.

Yeah I'll be honest my search into independent analysis of liquid networks came up pretty short.

All the sources I could find were directly written by, or interviews with, those directly involved in coming up with the model. Whereas what I was looking for was some kind of independent thought on its validity, application, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

I think this might be increasingly common. If advances remain exponential, then potentially radical new ideas are going to be machine gunned out at a pace which peer review can't possibly keep up with.

Which is a problem.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone watch the live demo of rabbit r1? Just finished I believe. Thought it was pretty impressive, might grab myself one down the line since the price isn't too bad for what it's showing it can do.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone watch the live demo of rabbit r1? Just finished I believe. Thought it was pretty impressive, might grab myself one down the line since the price isn't too bad for what it's showing it can do.
iJustine just uploaded a video and it seems decent, better than the humane pin. This thing is exactly what I want my phone to do in the future.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe its just my age, but I don't really get the use case for the rabbit r1? It's doing the same thing I can do right now with my phone and a Google text search, but its just making it slightly easier by voice interaction. But its still another device to carry around, its not replacing smart phones, so....will lots of people want to do that? 🤔

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maybe its just my age, but I don't really get the use case for the rabbit r1? It's doing the same thing I can do right now with my phone and a Google text search, but its just making it slightly easier by voice interaction. But its still another device to carry around, its not replacing smart phones, so....will lots of people want to do that? 🤔

This is where I'm at too.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

Huh. I wonder if that means they are going to have to add shit to the metadata of their body cams now to make it work better. Hope it doesn't make the video run like shit since it's mostly decent now (I actually have to interact with a lot of that stuff at my job)

I suppose I'm not overly concerned — sometimes it takes a long time for reports to be made and they may be filled with errors already. Maybe it'll help out… I'm not sure what to think of it at this point.

It's funny they quote some guy who is concerned the police aren't trained on AI or whatever. It's like, what? police have to be trained to be police to begin with. You just train them more if someone isn't trained on something. Like anything.

human5892

Oct 27, 2017
This one is a pretty decent country song, like I honestly kind of like it:

This might be my favorite AI tune I've heard so far. As someone who's not as familiar with AI-generated music: what portion of this (if any) is human-made? Specifically the lyrics--they're funny and they're good at sticking to a theme. I'm wary of stuff that presents as fully AI to get clicks, but in reality had a heavy human hand behind the scenes.

I wish there was a way to see the exact series of prompts that the creator used.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
This might be my favorite AI tune I've heard so far. As someone who's not as familiar with AI-generated music: what portion of this (if any) is human-made? Specifically the lyrics--they're funny and they're good at sticking to a theme. I'm wary of stuff that presents as fully AI to get clicks, but in reality had a heavy human hand behind the scenes.

BobbyB wrote the lyrics but the rest is done by Udio's AI. He iterated in manual mode and used careful tags to guide the song where he wanted it to go. It takes a lot of iterations to create something specific or great like this, but timewise its still very fast compared to any other way of creating music.

Once Udio allows more fine control (which is coming apparently) it will be much easier/quicker to use and create with. I mean its fast now if you aren't overly picky with what it outputs.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Okay. I wanted to run an experiment with this Suno thing out of pure curiosity. I took the lyrics and soundscape ideas of an actual song I'm working on and shoved them in. So working with my own music. I got this

suno.com

Nurgle's Garden | Suno

death metal, melodic death metal, synths, square wave synths, growling vocals, gutteral sounds song. Listen and make your own with Suno.

It's a bit messy, but I appreciate the ideas. I think some of the vocal patterning on the verse is cool, though not what I went with. It got close with parts of the chorus. Instrumentally it's chaos in a way I don't like but I could see being appealing. I've listened to plenty of deathmetal tha'ts just wall-of-sound.

For proper reference (and sorry if this breaks rules for advertising, but it's a soundcloud link lol) here's the actual song in it's first-mix form

soundcloud.com

Cauldron Dance first mix

Listen to Cauldron Dance first mix by Inonum #np on #SoundCloud

I don't know what to make of this thing yet. My friend has used it to make some real fun shitposts that you listen to once and then forget. Where it goes from there? Not a clue.
First time seeing AI music in action on that Suno site.

I of course immediately gave in and used it to make a shit post country song about Fallout with the joke prompt "A western song about how Fallout New Vegas is better than Fallout 3 and I won't shut up about it".

suno.com

Wasteland Ways | Suno

twangy country song. Listen and make your own with Suno.

human5892

Oct 27, 2017
BobbyB wrote the lyrics but the rest is done by Udio's AI. He iterated in manual mode and used careful tags to guide the song where he wanted it to go. It takes a lot of iterations to create something specific or great like this, but timewise its still very fast compared to any other way of creating music.

Once Udio allows more fine control (which is coming apparently) it will be much easier/quicker to use and create with. I mean its fast now if you aren't overly picky with what it outputs.
Thanks! Good to know about the lyrics specifically.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
First time seeing AI music in action on that Suno site.

I of course immediately gave in and used it to make a shit post country song about Fallout with the joke prompt "A western song about how Fallout New Vegas is better than Fallout 3 and I won't shut up about it".

suno.com

Wasteland Ways | Suno

twangy country song. Listen and make your own with Suno.
In its current state, it is a very remarkable toy

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
First time Suno was able to spit me a synthwave song with saxophone and I really like it.

suno.com

Midnight Shadows | Suno

atmospheric synthwave saxophone song. Listen and make your own with Suno.

It's pretty scary how good those things are right now, it's gonna be crazy in a couple of years.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I had a sad thought recently while watching Masters of the Air and thinking about its VFX: As soon as they think they can get away with it, studios will start replacing CG shots with image/video synth where they have little control over the final results, but it will still become the standard because it's cheaper, just like CG vs. practical effects. The tech probably will get to the point where the artifacts can be minimized and quality is "acceptable" and it will turn everything into fucking slop. The idea of visual artistry of any kind will fall by the wayside in favor of prompt engineering.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I had a sad thought recently while watching Masters of the Air and thinking about its VFX: As soon as they think they can get away with it, studios will start replacing CG shots with image/video synth where they have little control over the final results, but it will still become the standard because it's cheaper, just like CG vs. practical effects. The tech probably will get to the point where the artifacts can be minimized and quality is "acceptable" and it will turn everything into fucking slop. The idea of visual artistry of any kind will fall by the wayside in favor of prompt engineering.

it sounds like a doomsday scenario, but there's still going to be someone creating this and putting it into a final product. AI isnt going to be self-publishing movies/tv shows its making. Otherwise, why even have the middle man -- people will just do it themselves.

like type into spotify you want to listen to x genre about x topic, and then it just creates music for you endlessly that never existed before and it may or may not sound good.

same thing could happen tv shows/movies i suppose!

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
First time Suno was able to spit me a synthwave song with saxophone and I really like it.

suno.com

Midnight Shadows | Suno

atmospheric synthwave saxophone song. Listen and make your own with Suno.

It's pretty scary how good those things are right now, it's gonna be crazy in a couple of years.
feeling the need for an extended cut but might not be as good lol

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
it sounds like a doomsday scenario, but there's still going to be someone creating this and putting it into a final product. AI isnt going to be self-publishing movies/tv shows its making. Otherwise, why even have the middle man -- people will just do it themselves.

like type into spotify you want to listen to x genre about x topic, and then it just creates music for you endlessly that never existed before and it may or may not sound good.

same thing could happen tv shows/movies i suppose!
I think there is a huge difference between a computerized workflow replacing physical props and a black box replacing CG. CG can have varying levels of quality but there is still someone deciding what camera angle to use, controlling the lighting, tweaking the assets as needed, etc. As soon as a significant number of major productions that are actually trying to create something artistically beautiful, like Masters of the Air, settle for stuff like a plaintext prompt of "a squadron of bombers flying back to base at sunset" and just run with whatever their model spits out, we truly will have lost something. Maybe the model has some guardrails and knows what specific planes to use based on previous scenes, maybe you can adjust a slider to tweak the exact time of day on the final output, but the idea of it is still depressing and disgusting to me.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I hesitated to make this post because I know how this community feels about generative AI, but after finally sitting down with Udio as a veteran composer and musician with over 30 years of experience, and publishing a song that is currently trending/charting on the Udio platform, I think it's a good opportunity to demonstrate the usefulness of generative AI for artists like myself and the positive impact it can have on the entertainment industry.

Here is the song:

www.udio.com

Udio | Transfiguratio Animae (Full Version) by Blambda | AI Music Generator - Official Website

Listen to Transfiguratio Animae (Full Version) by Blambda on Udio. Discover, create, and share music with the world. Use the latest technology to create AI music in seconds.

What is noteworthy here is that this was merely an experiment and the first [full] song that I published on this platform (I published a snippet of the song first to gauge appetite and encourage the community to riff off it). I knew going in that my options would be limited since my ability to control the outputs were limited to prompts, but I saw the potential in the technology and understood that people with strong musicality and good prompt engineering skills (both are requirements for high quality outputs) would likely rise above the rest, and that is exactly what happened. The point here is that artistic intentionality is something you can imbue in AI generated content, but the degree of intent will always be limited by the level of control that you have over the outputs. A basic prompt and a sophisticated, well-informed, well-structured prompt are going to result in widely different levels of quality, and iterative prompts exponentially boost that quality. And in this case, I simply used my musical sensibilities and experience to guide the model the best I could. You simply cannot get this level of precise intentionality without understanding what you're doing, full stop. And that's important, because it means that even when using generative AI (even with only prompts!), artists still provide significant value compared to the average consumer that lazily requests a random song. I don't think artists are going anywhere and our talents will always be valued, even when AI has far exceeded our ability to produce high quality content.

If you're interested in my process for generating this song, you can read about it my reddit comment here:

Having said all that, though I was able to create something I was eventually happy with on the platform, I cannot seriously use this as part of my workflow until I have much greater control over the output. The model was doing way too much heavy lifting for my tastes, and I had to fight with it a bit to align with my intent, and no artists wants that. Once there are some real editing options, I see this as a very potent tool in the toolkit and I'm very much looking forward to when that day comes. What's most important for me is the creative aspect, the production aspects are less important and I would actually prefer for AI to rid me of a lot of that tedium.

EDIT:

I should add that I did not intend for this post to be a slight against laypeople using Udio. There is absolutely value in that and I fully encourage everyone to try it out. I just wanted to provide a little optimism for artists who are worried that AI-generated content getting better will mean that people will no longer be interested in their content, when the opposite seems to be true.

I think this is a great important post and very important testimonial from an artist to other artists. Especially this part:

even when using generative AI (even with only prompts!), artists still provide significant value compared to the average consumer that lazily requests a random song. I don't think artists are going anywhere and our talents will always be valued, even when AI has far exceeded our ability to produce high quality content.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I think there is a huge difference between a computerized workflow replacing physical props and a black box replacing CG. CG can have varying levels of quality but there is still someone deciding what camera angle to use, controlling the lighting, tweaking the assets as needed, etc. As soon as a significant number of major productions that are actually trying to create something artistically beautiful, like Masters of the Air, settle for stuff like a plaintext prompt of "a squadron of bombers flying back to base at sunset" and just run with whatever their model spits out, we truly will have lost something. Maybe the model has some guardrails and knows what specific planes to use based on previous scenes, maybe you can adjust a slider to tweak the exact time of day on the final output, but the idea of it is still depressing and disgusting to me.

i guess at that point it depends on who is making it and who is consuming it. if people are satisfied with that, then i guess they werent appreciating all of the effort that went into it to begin with -- which is and always has been sad. But i guess the question is then: are these filmmakers/film producers making tv shows/movies to satisfy themselves or to satisfy other people?

if it is to satisfy people, then it is more about being a product. if it is to satisfy themselves, it is more about being art. Hitting the happy medium between these spectrums has always been the struggle in a corporatized art-based industry. I dont really think AI-based video changes much of that equation intrinsically, but it definitely makes "make it a product" more appealing from a business standpoint...

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I think this is a great important post and very important testimonial from an artist to other artists. Especially this part:

even when using generative AI (even with only prompts!), artists still provide significant value compared to the average consumer that lazily requests a random song. I don't think artists are going anywhere and our talents will always be valued, even when AI has far exceeded our ability to produce high quality content.

Thank you. It was quite the revelation, honestly. And based on the conversations I've been having with composers and musicians in my circle regarding tools like Udio, the consensus seems to be this:

The only artists getting replaced by AI-generated content are artists who produce formulaic content driven by business decisions, not artists who make inspired content out of passion. Even in a hypothetical world of AI making truly inspired content, that would not negate the inspired content created by human artists, as the human story and narrative is still something that many humans care about. Human live performances, at the very least, are going absolutely no where.

Now I understand that not all artists are as optimistic as I am and other artists who agree with me, and that's totally fine. But with so many artists feeling like giving up on their dreams in the wake of AI generated content, if I could give them even the faintest hope of keeping their dream alive, I want to do that. What many of them don't realize is that it is their pursuit of genuine human expression and dedication to their craft that will separate them from mediocrity, and so their efforts to improve, even formally, are not at all a waste of time.

EDIT:

One of my friends put it this way: AI-generated content will eventually replace "fast-food" content for many consumers, but never "gourmet" art, even if it could make "gourmet" content. I tend to agree. AI-assisted art is another story. As long as the artist still has full control, I could see that becoming the new normal for many artists, as the art is not lost in that case.

EDIT 2:

And to be very clear, I am not anti-AI, so I hope my posts aren't coming across that way, especially in a thread like this. I very much look forward to using something like Udio in my workflow when it has real editing options. Very similar to Adobe tools. I simply want to provide a more nuanced and optimistic perspective on the impact of this technology on artists, since there is no shortage of pessimistic takes from artists regarding generative AI.

EDIT 3:

Perhaps it might help to look at the impact of narrow AI which is already at the superhuman level in many domains, like Chess and Go. Stockfish and AlphaGo Zero are incredible pieces of technology that have surpassed human ability, but they didn't even put a dent in the interest to watch human players play chess and go. I believe it will be the same with art when AI is more proficient than humans on a technical level. There is a difference between a fan and a consumer. A fan of an artist is not going to stop being a fan of that artist because of generative AI, though consumer who consumes art purely for the content itself may very well do just that. I think there are enough fans in the world for artists to not be worried about this.

Last edited:

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. It was quite the revelation, honestly. And based on the conversations I've been having with composers and musicians in my circle regarding tools like Udio, the consensus seems to be this:

The only artists getting replaced by AI-generated content are artists who produce formulaic content driven by business decisions, not artists who make inspired content out of passion. Even in a hypothetical world of AI making truly inspired content, that would not negate the inspired content created by human artists, as the human story and narrative is still something that many humans care about. Human live performances, at the very least, are going absolutely no where.

Now I understand that not all artists are as optimistic as I am and other artists who agree with me, and that's totally fine. But with so many artists feeling like giving up on their dreams in the wake of AI generated content, if I could give them even the faintest hope of keeping their dream alive, I want to do that. What many of them don't realize is that it is their pursuit of genuine human expression and dedication to their craft that will separate them from mediocrity, and so their efforts to improve, even formally, are not at all a waste of time.

EDIT:

One of my friends put it this way: AI-generated content will eventually replace "fast-food" content for many consumers, but never "gourmet" art, even if it could make "gourmet" content. I tend to agree.
I understand that analogy, but I think what people feared most is that... well, not everybody can be a 5 star gourmet chef. Only a small amount of people working in the industry possess the incredible talent compared to the amount of average folks working in "fast food" content. As well, there are also people's career growths to consider where they may start working in "fast food" to gain experience and then become a master gourmet chef. Point is, there's a lot of artists working in the areas that could be hugely impacted by these AI. Not only can that be disruptive of people's career now but also future careers of people working their way up the food chain. That is a serious issue to consider.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I understand that analogy, but I think what people feared most is that... well, not everybody can be a 5 star gourmet chef. Only a small amount of people working in the industry possess the incredible talent compared to the amount of average folks working in "fast food" content. As well, there are also people's career growths to consider where they may start working in "fast food" to gain experience and then become a master gourmet chef. Point is, there's a lot of artists working in the areas that could be hugely impacted by these AI. Not only can that be disruptive of people's career now but also future careers of people working their way up the food chain. That is a serious issue to consider.

It is absolutely a serious issue and I don't want to give people false hope either. But the real issue here, in terms of livelihood, is capitalism. In a world where you don't need money to survive, it would not matter to an artist that they're not getting paid to make art. At the end of the day, it is the employer (or commissioner) not choosing to pay the artist that is threatening artists' jobs, not the technology itself (it has no agency or desire to do this on its own). It would sure be nice to see a greater effort to dismantle capitalism in favor of something more humane to address the real threat to artists' livelihood, but since that's not realistic, the best we can hope for is financial protection against capitalists throwing artists under the bus.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Gonna be honest, this AI music is pissing me off to no end. It's absolutely repulsive, especially knowing how this AI was trained.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be honest, this AI music is pissing me off to no end. It's absolutely repulsive, especially knowing how this AI was trained.

Same, and it's suffering the same issue of it being so entertaining to people that it spreads and therefore dilutes the actual impact of the AI generation.

"So funny to hear _Artist_ in this style!"
"_Artist_but_different_genre_ goes harder than it has any right to."

These types of sayings are all too similar to the ones directed at all the meme AI art that proliferated everywhere last year.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I kept hearing about how there were all these products and websites that schools were using to detect AI works. Ok cool I guess.

My wife's sister was applying for a scholarship and sent the assay over so she my wife could give some tips. As a fun exercise 'hey let's throw it in one of those websites that tells us if it's ai or not'! One said it wasn't and another said there was only an 11% chance it was AI. Great! Glad she wrote it herself. She gave some ideas and helped her edit it a bit and it got sent off.

We decided to rewrite parts of it in our sort of "work voices", something we would have drafted that's maybe a little more technical, maybe dry, some 'leverage' and 'align' thrown in there. It was a fun exercise and at the end 'hell throw it in the ai detector again!'

And that essay that my wife and I wrote then was flagged with a big red "AI detected!!!" on the one and a >90% chance that AI wrote it on the other.

These things do not work. Or we're secretly robots. Jury's still out.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I kept hearing about how there were all these products and websites that schools were using to detect AI works. Ok cool I guess.

My wife's sister was applying for a scholarship and sent the assay over so she my wife could give some tips. As a fun exercise 'hey let's throw it in one of those websites that tells us if it's ai or not'! One said it wasn't and another said there was only an 11% chance it was AI. Great! Glad she wrote it herself. She gave some ideas and helped her edit it a bit and it got sent off.

We decided to rewrite parts of it in our sort of "work voices", something we would have drafted that's maybe a little more technical, maybe dry, some 'leverage' and 'align' thrown in there. It was a fun exercise and at the end 'hell throw it in the ai detector again!'

And that essay that my wife and I wrote then was flagged with a big red "AI detected!!!" on the one and a >90% chance that AI wrote it on the other.

These things do not work. Or we're secretly robots. Jury's still out.

maybe just intentionally have some weird grammatical error or punctuation issue that doesnt affect anything and that will make it pass. never use semicolons. lol

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Maybe this has already been discussed, but could a device like the Humane AI Pin be useful for those with blind eyesight disability? I assume so at some point as this tech advances, and I guess it would be a much more advanced version of Tesla/automotive autopilot(for example).

What has been on my mind the last few days is someone who is blind going about their day without the need for a cane, and instead using a device like the Humane AI Pin to help them navigate. The camera being used to read one's surroundings(at least what is in front of them, and possibly to the side), and the speaker gives the user constant 1:1 audio descriptive information on the environment.

As the AI better understands the user's movements, walking speed, and step distance, the AI could say for example "In 10 footsteps there's an obstacle on the right side of the sidewalk, please move to the left side the of sidewalk."

Or someone is at a grocery store and needs lemons, this device would know which store you are at based on the location data, look up the store layout( pulling info from the store's website/app) and thus know exactly where the lemons are and then descriptively tells the user how to navigate the store and correctly getting a lemon.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Maybe this has already been discussed, but could a device like the Humane AI Pin be useful for those with blind eyesight disability? I assume so at some point as this tech advances, and I guess it would be a much more advanced version of Tesla/automotive autopilot(for example).

What has been on my mind the last few days is someone who is blind going about their day without the need for a cane, and instead using a device like the Humane AI Pin to help them navigate. The camera being used to read one's surroundings(at least what is in front of them, and possibly to the side), and the speaker gives the user constant 1:1 audio descriptive information on the environment.

As the AI better understands the user's movements, walking speed, and step distance, the AI could say for example "In 10 footsteps there's an obstacle on the right side of the sidewalk, please move to the left side the of sidewalk."

Or someone is at a grocery store and needs lemons, this device would know which store you are at based on the location data, look up the store layout( pulling info from the store's website/app) and thus know exactly where the lemons are and then descriptively tells the user how to navigate the store and correctly getting a lemon.

i think its an interesting idea. don't think i have seen any discussion on it.

i suppose i dont know how it would give feedback to tell you where to walk. it would also have to be pretty fast at doing that feedback. Like, a cane/walking stick takes less than a second to find any obstructions in front of you. i dont know if someone would want a thing barking orders at them all day as they are walking. i can barely stand my GPS, personally, haha

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
i think its an interesting idea. don't think i have seen any discussion on it.

i suppose i dont know how it would give feedback to tell you where to walk. it would also have to be pretty fast at doing that feedback. Like, a cane/walking stick takes less than a second to find any obstructions in front of you. i dont know if someone would want a thing barking orders at them all day as they are walking. i can barely stand my GPS, personally, haha

As an idea/concept I find very interesting and of course something that could be very useful; but execution and functionality wise, that's a whole other story. Like you said, a cane/walking stick gives you feedback immediately, but would a camera, sensors, computer, software, data centers then audible sound/notification give you that immediately feedback and information? I assume someday a device/software could, but reminds to be seen.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
As an idea/concept I find very interesting and of course something that could be very useful; but execution and functionality wise, that's a whole other story. Like you said, a cane/walking stick gives you feedback immediately, but would a camera, sensors, computer, software, data centers then audible sound/notification give you that immediately feedback and information? I assume someday a device/software could, but reminds to be seen.

I can imagine maybe it being more passively assistive, like if someone shows up behind you or is heading your direction rather than trying to anticipate where you are going.

TCB

Oct 19, 2019
In its current state, it is a very remarkable toy

I've been experimenting with Udio quite a bit these last couple weeks, and like a lot of AI stuff, it makes a good first impression but the limitations become apparent once you start getting specific or taking it seriously.

It's very difficult to get a 'perfect' song. Even some of the most popular stuff has garbled voices and instrument mess ups. I started wondering whether I should try to fix the songs manually, but it makes me think about writers in Hollywood saying it's easier to just write a script from scratch rather than trying to fix an AI written one. Even if you get a good song, you have no idea what it is pulling from or if a certain chord progression or lyric is just outright copied. Speaking of which, I'm almost positive Udio is using copyrighted material as well, as sometimes you will get a song with vocals that sound exactly like certain artists.

At best I think it's good for making parody songs, or getting samples to make your own music. It's just going to lead to a lot of mediocre 'art' on the internet, and hurting discovery of legitimate musicians.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I've been experimenting with Udio quite a bit these last couple weeks, and like a lot of AI stuff, it makes a good first impression but the limitations become apparent once you start getting specific or taking it seriously.

It's very difficult to get a 'perfect' song. Even some of the most popular stuff has garbled voices and instrument mess ups. I started wondering whether I should try to fix the songs manually, but it makes me think about writers in Hollywood saying it's easier to just write a script from scratch rather than trying to fix an AI written one. Even if you get a good song, you have no idea what it is pulling from or if a certain chord progression or lyric is just outright copied. Speaking of which, I'm almost positive Udio is using copyrighted material as well, as sometimes you will get a song with vocals that sound exactly like certain artists.

At best I think it's good for making parody songs, or getting samples to make your own music. It's just going to lead to a lot of mediocre 'art' on the internet, and hurting discovery of legitimate musicians.
As someone who spent a few hours trying to remix a Suno song, yeah. it's just better to make your own from scratch.

I agree with your final assessment. It's fun now, but by the end of all this as things get better, we're just gonna see a flood of shitty music. I hope bandcamp is quick to put something up saying no to AI generated music.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like ChatGPT is kind of a smoke screen that can be distracting from other kinds of progress. For my work I'm paying attention to this kind of thing, the smaller building blocks that can be composed into systems that are trustworthy, formal and rigorous.

Youtube: Physics-Informed Machine Learning (Steve Brunton)
Book: https://a.co/d/gYpUBpU

I like the agent model, terms like "human-machine teaming" and "trusted autonomy", but it needs a better foundation.