NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly feels like they should have just performance captured Will and done the Genie in full CG instead of trying to capture his likeness. It's just distracting. The rest of it looks like when they would have those live action theme park or traveling shows based on cartoons, like Aladdin on Ice or some shit. It just all looks cheap.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Eh, I'm still looking forward to it. Doesn't look great but doesn't look bad. I enjoyed the other live action movies so far.

Dank Lotion

Oct 27, 2017
lmao the delivery of "Bring me the lamp" has me in stitches. Not the least bit menacing. Hopefully it was just a bad take?

Looks as though they nailed Jasmine's look. I'm still mad they put Aladdin in a freakin shirt...

Aeriscloud

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
91a.gif

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why would it be a race thing? Genie is blue.

I don't think anyone is looking at Will Fucking Smith thinking "Oh we can't have a black guy in our movie make him blue".

It's a re-imagining so he doesn't have to be any certain color. Genies aren't real. If anything it could have helped distance itself from the impossible task of filling Robin Williams shoes. This genie looks terrible. A blue human in live action is probably always going to look terrible.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
this looks like one of those shitty fairy tale disney knock offs that universal loves to put out, what the fuck?

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it looks like a live action musical. Genie looks a little rough but I'll wait to see how hi transformations turn out.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
How can it look so bad ?

How ? This isn't rhetorical because I can fucking do better alone in my little apartment and I need answers.

Disney is releasing like 6+ major films this year and is spreading themselves too thin. Episode IX, End Game, Captain Marvel, Aladdin, Dumbo, The Lion King, Toy Story 4, etc. It's fucking ridiculous that they feel the need to cram these films into the same year. Most of these are releasing in the same 5 month window. It's insane.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a re-imagining so he doesn't have to be any certain color. Genies aren't real. If anything it could have helped distance itself from the impossible task of filling Robin Williams shoes. This genie looks terrible. A blue human in live action is probably always going to look terrible.
No argument that it looks terrible, but I don't think it was motivated by race at all.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Robin williams currently rolling in his grave

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I was not ready for Will Smith's face grafted on a CG genie, why did they think that was a good stinger?

Everything about this looks cheap even though I'm sure it cost hundreds of millions.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fine, I feel like people in this thread are just overreacting for the sake of it. Is it perfect, does it need to exist? No, but it doesn't look like a train wreck from that trailer.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
For reference, this is what the genie looked like in the live action Disney musical:

maxresdefault.jpg

Im not saying this would have worked in the live action movie, but it shows that you can successfully reimagine a beloved character, in fact you might be better off doing so.

Oct 31, 2017
So can someone tell me why keeping Will Smith black like we saw before was a terrible idea? Was it because of race or nostalgia? Or both?

It's simply because Genie is blue. The fuck is this?

That said, Genie still looks like ass and it should have been all CGId to look different. A blue ass Will Smith is distracting as fuck.

Genie had to be blue even if the task of filling Robin Williams shoes was impossible. Fuck having a non blue Genie. Matter of fact Disney should have waited the 25 years Williams imposed on using his likeness and voice work and redo this movie then CGI ing the whole damn thing. They might do it again at that time anyways.

For reference, this is what the genie looked like in the live action Disney musical:

maxresdefault.jpg

Im not saying this would have worked in the live action movie, but it shows that you can successfully reimagine a beloved character, in fact you might be better off doing so.

This is a musical, not a movie. They don't use real lions when doing TLK shows.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's simply because Genie is blue. The fuck is this?

That said, Genie still looks like ass and it should have been all CGId to look different. A blue ass Will Smith is distracting as fuck.

Genie had to be blue even if the task of filling Robin Williams shoes was impossible. Fuck having a non blue Genie. Matter of fact Disney should have waited the 25 years Williams imposed on using his likeness and voice work and redo this movie then CGI ing the whole damn thing. They might do it again at that time anyways.

This is a musical, not a movie. They don't use real lions when doing TLK shows.

Again, I didn't say they should have just translated that exact look over to the movie, but it goes to show you can have different versions of a character. The exact genie design wasn't necessary, and if anything that is a detriment. All its going to do is remind people of Williams. This genie looks terrible, and the blue/design is part of the reason. That shit doesn't work in live action if you are trying to approximate an actual human being.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be bad, and the Lion King remake, too. The animated films are beautiful, timeless adventure films, they did not need a shitty live-action version.