Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
We've been using guns in movies for 100+ years. It's crazy that we haven't come up with a way to only use fake guns after all this time.

I think a lot of it is down to realism and the mechanics involved - it's very difficult to combine the look and the action of weapons (muzzle-flash + the weapon cycling) in a way that's convincing.

It's especially noticeable if you look at pre-CGI movies where a substitute is used - I was rewatching Predator recently and there's a bit where you see someone getting shot at point-blank range, and it's clear they're using some sort of fake gun that generates a flash and some smoke but otherwise doesn't look too convincing.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Guttierrez is a woman. Notice the "she" in the quote?
I didn't. I was multitasking with some work and didn't read the name, just the quote. I'll fix it. Thank you.

Or maybe I just live by the GoodBurger motto, "I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes hey!"

Last edited:

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

I have no problem with banning guns from sets, but the actual problem here seems how lax they were, when it comes to the safety of the crew.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of it is down to realism and the mechanics involved - it's very difficult to combine the look and the action of weapons (muzzle-flash + the weapon cycling) in a way that's convincing.

It's especially noticeable if you look at pre-CGI movies where a substitute is used - I was rewatching Predator recently and there's a bit where you see someone getting shot at point-blank range, and it's clear they're using some sort of fake gun that generates a flash and some smoke but otherwise doesn't look too convincing.
This is a bad excuse. The whole industry is about creating illusions and they show things "wrong" all the time. They intentionally showed how to slit your wrist wrong for decades. They literally invented the concept of designated drivers. They have sword and knife fights with fake blades (though they do use real ones for certain shots, they do not fight with them).
isnt it more crazy that over that 100+ years it's only been a handful of deaths from them?
For sure but that doesn't really explain the lack of effort given how long it's been.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I hope one day the prosecutor uses this line in his/her closing arguments to put this POS behind bars " how safe they can be, and how they're not really problematic unless put in the wrong hands".
Let's first see who did the wrong thing, who neglected their duty and who went to target practice with these things.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda thought most of the time they're fake guns with either cg or real flashes, but the actor acts the hand recoil. Didn't know it's real guns that can fuck up real bad depending on what's loaded.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish the whole employees driving long distances at night after long days thing was being treated as dangerously as people playing around with loaded guns.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I have no problem with banning guns from sets, but the actual problem here seems how lax they were, when it comes to the safety of the crew.

Oh, it's this thread, where people refuse to acknowledge that guns are literally a thing created with the sole purpose of killing and try and say the solution is elsewhere. Please don't take our guns.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, it's this thread, where people refuse to acknowledge that guns are literally a thing created with the sole purpose of killing and try and say the solution is elsewhere. Please don't take our guns.
I don't think that's really the takeaway. This is a different situation from normal gun control debates

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

Thats why I said, take the guns away, but don't stop there. Guns aren't the only reason people die on sets.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit.

And I say this as someone who hunts/target shoots. I'd stay far away from that dude woman.
Seriously this.
I've been to the military, I have friends that hunt and do hobby shooting, I've done both and I believe you can do those things safely. So I'm certainly not "if you touched a gun than fuck you" person (even though I don't own a gun or plan to do so in the future).

But for real there are few bigger red flags than when someone try to tell you that guns are not really as dangerous as you might think.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, there's even a desperate gun defence force that's popped up here to try and tell us decerning movie audiences will not stand for anything but the most realistic non-cgi gun flashes and bangs.

It's hideous. I love cinema, but, I don't want anyone dying or being injured for the sake of more realism. I really could not care less.

Gun people are fucked-up weirdo's though.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thats why I said, take the guns away, but don't stop there. Guns aren't the only reason people die on sets.
I agree. The Twitter poster doesn't however. Their idea is that "fixing the guns issue doesn't fix all of the stunt issues and therefore it's not worth doing". You can do multiple things. Make car stunts safer, replace real guns with prop guns and CGI the shot, change the hours of shooting, etc... There's no singular fix that will magically make film production perfectly safe but if the choice is between do nothing and do something that saves people once every few decades then it's still worth doing something when there's no real downside to it except slightly higher costs and marginally less realism.

Oct 13, 2021
Looks like Baldwin was rehearsing drawing the gun when it went off. He was told by the AD that it was a "cold gun", meaning it is fully unloaded.

Oct 13, 2021
There is a real point to letting the obvious dangers of a gun on set take the blame for and be the scapegoat for a working environment that does not value safety, especially at the cost of production time.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Often times the safer thing to do isn't the cheapest thing to do. Firing blanks is cheaper than doing good CG muzzle flashes... but honestly... that's no good reason at all not to go the CG route. Proper safety harness rigging costs more too. You still need to do it, and if you don't hire a team who know what they're doing and pay for the right equipment to save a buck and someone gets hurt... well guess what? That's on you.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
This is a real dumb take in this particular context.

No prop is necessary on a set. It's not like real life where you need vehicles for transport and don't need guns at all. You don't need any of the dangerous things on a movie set. All of it could be done away with and replaced with CGI. Why are you alright with prop cars and stunts that kill dozens of stunt people but this kind of incident, whose victims in the past three decades can be counted on two hands, has you frothing? All of it traces back to negligence on set by the people in charge and that needs to be addressed before anything else.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Odd they allowed a gun on set that could even take a real bullet. So many safety measures just completely ignored.

So many. Sure, real guns are used on sets often and this was a film set in the 1800s. It was either cheaper to rent/borrow/beg or buy the real thing in this instance, the director wanted "authenticity," or both.

But 1) that gun should have never left the set, 2) there shouldn't have been real bullets accessible to anyone, 3) and real guns should never be left unattended on a prop cart like they're a glass mug.

This was not a community theatre production, either. It'd be one thing if one thing went wrong, but everything went wrong here.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
...When it comes to film, I don't think it's off. Pyrotechnics and vehicle stunts can be really fucking dangerous if not done properly. People can and have died or suffered life-changing injuries from those, far more than from guns on set.

I'm all for strict gun control. I just don't think gun control really applies here when the actual problem is how cost-cutting and negligence in film production put people at risk. Those are what cause incidents like this to happen.

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
This is a real dumb take in this particular context.

No prop is necessary on a set. It's not like real life where you need vehicles for transport and don't need guns at all. You don't need any of the dangerous things on a movie set. All of it could be done away with and replaced with CGI. Why are you alright with prop cars and stunts that kill dozens of stunt people but this kind of incident, whose victims in the past three decades can be counted on two hands, has you frothing? All of it traces back to negligence on set by the people in charge and that needs to be addressed before anything else.
What stunts are you referring to that killed dozens of stunt people, and more to the point, where are you getting that literally anyone is "alright" with them? Are you arguing against the practice of stunt drivers and cars in general? If so, well that's certainly a take, but I don't know what it has to do with the current incident.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What stunts are you referring to that killed dozens of stunt people, and more to the point, where are you getting that literally anyone is "alright" with them? Are you arguing against the practice of stunt drivers and cars in general? If so, well that's certainly a take, but I don't know what it has to do with the current incident.
Twilight Zone: The Movie had a stunt with a helicopter kill three people, two of them children. That's the worst I'm aware of. I think when the poster said dozens, they were referring to the collective number of injuries and deaths caused by vehicular accidents in film.

The point being made is that general on-set safety is more relevant problem than access to firearms specifically. The root causes that led to this incident are the same that lead to injuries/deaths from other dangerous parts of filmmaking.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
What stunts are you referring to that killed dozens of stunt people
I'm not referring to a single stunt that has killed a dozen people at once. I am referring to the frequency with which people die unnecessarily due to negligence in accidents involving vehicles that are wholly unnecessary on set or stunts that are wholly unnecessary as compared to the number of deaths caused by guns that are wholly unnecessary on a set in a comparable amount of time.

and more to the point, where are you getting that literally anyone is "alright" with them?
The person who decided to equate gun violence with gun related accidents on movie sets and equate Adam Connover pointing out the central cause of these kinds of accidents (negligence by the people in charge and overworking staff) to gun nuts did so based on how unnecessary guns are. Which is dumb, because all of these things are unnecessary on a set.

Twilight Zone: The Movie had a stunt with a helicopter kill three people, two of them children. That's the worst I'm aware of. I think when the poster said dozens, they were referring to the collective number of injuries and deaths caused by vehicular accidents in film.

The point being made is that general on-set safety is more relevant problem than access to firearms specifically. The root causes that led to this incident are the same that lead to injuries/deaths from other dangerous parts of filmmaking.
Bingo.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Here's a lawyer's take. Since Alec is a producer, and there had been previous incidents, he might be liable after all.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
There are already very strict gun controls in place on film sets and agreed to by the unions.

They weren't followed here. That's the issue.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a lawyer's take. Since Alec is a producer, and there had been previous incidents, he might be liable after all.

Of all things, criminal liability for Alec or any of the producers would be surprising unless, in some kind of email or communication chain, the producers were aware that actual ammunition was on the set and that people were allowed to put actual ammunition in the guns. But the investigations are still ongoing. There so much that still needs to be known before any can start flinging any blame.

Ban on live weapons on sets is being proposed in CA

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
Affidavit from the search warrant has been released, and is included in this Deadline article.
deadline.com

‘Rust’: Released Affidavit Reveals More Details About Fatal Shooting Accident – Read It

A Santa Fe Sheriff’s Department detective's affidavit for a search warrant of the location of the Rust shooting has been released.
The affidavit also suggests that only one bullet was fired, and that it went through-and-through Hutchins before striking Souza, who was standing behind her. Det. Cano wrote that after the film's armorer, Gutierrez, "was given the prop gun after it was fired by actor Alec Baldwin, she then took the spent casing out of the prop-gun." Here the detective uses the singular "spent casing."

It is believed that the slug that struck Souza was removed from him at the hospital and is now part of the evidence in the case.

The chief electrician on "Rust" blames the death on the "negligence and unprofessionalism" of the people responsible, implied to be the armorer, prop master, and 1st AD. (In a particularly chilling bit, he says he was standing shoulder to shoulder with the DP when she was shot.):
deadline.com

‘Rust’ Chief Electrician Says Halyna Hutchins Death Was Result Of “Negligence And Unprofessionalism”

Serge Svetnoy, the gaffer, or chief electrician, on the set of Alec Baldwin‘s Rust is laying the blame for the accidental shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the negligence of the film’s armorer and producers. In a scathing Facebook post yesterday, Svetnoy called out “the person...

A prop master walks through some of the many safety violations that took place leading up to the accident:
nypost.com

Hollywood prop master lists series of ‘breaches’ in fatal ‘Rust’ shooting

An experienced prop master detailed a series of mind-blowing protocol breaches that he blames in the fatal shooting involving Alec Baldin and Halyna Hutchins on the set of “Rust.”

A prop master who turned down working for the Rust production has some choice words about the producers who tried to hire him. If nothing else, it confirms that the producers in question are complicit in creating the conditions that led to the accident:
www.latimes.com

Veteran prop master turned down 'Rust' film: 'An accident waiting to happen'

Neal W. Zoromski has worked on movies big and small. But dealing with producers of “Rust” gave him “a bad feeling.”
He said he felt that "Rust" was too much of a slapdash production, one with an overriding focus on saving money instead of a concern for people's safety. Production managers didn't seem to value experience and were brushing off his questions, he said.

Zoromski ultimately told "Rust" production managers that he would take a pass.

"After I pressed 'send' on that last email, I felt, in the pit of my stomach: 'That is an accident waiting to happen,'" he said.
He said he also became alarmed because it was just two weeks before "Rust" was set to begin filming in New Mexico and the producers hadn't yet hired a prop master. Typically, those decisions are made weeks, even months, before the cameras roll.

Zoromski said he initially asked for a department of five technicians. He was told that "Rust" was a low-budget production and that plans were to use items from a local prop house. He modified his request to have at least two experienced crew members: one to serve as an assistant prop master and the other as an armorer, or gun wrangler, dedicated to making sure the weapons were safe, oiled and functioning properly.

But the "Rust" producers insisted that only one person was needed to handle both tasks.

"You never have a prop assistant double as the armorer," Zoromski said. "Those are two really big jobs."

Hey, remember that TMZ article where it was rumored that the gun involved in the accident was used for target practice? Welp:
www.thewrap.com

Gun in Fatal Rust Shooting Used in Target Practice that Morning

Crew members on "Rust" had used the gun for live-ammunition target practice, or "plinking," and returned the gun to the set, an insider says
The gun that killed "Rust" cinematographer Halyna Hutchins last Thursday was used by crew members that morning for live-ammunition target practice, an individual with knowledge of the set told TheWrap.

A number of crew members had taken prop guns from the New Mexico set of the indie Western — including the gun that killed Hutchins — to go "plinking," a hobby in which people shoot at beer cans with live ammunition to pass the time, the insider said.

A ban on live weapons on sets is being proposed in CA:
nypost.com

California lawmaker wants to ban live guns on movie sets after Baldwin mishap

A California state senator is proposing a ban on live weapons on movie sets in the wake of the accidental shooting death of a cinematographer by Alec Baldwin.
Democratic lawmaker Dave Cortese, chair of the state legislature's Labor Committee, said the proposed law will prohibit all live guns and ammo from movies and theatrical productions.

"There is an urgent need to address alarming work abuses and safety violations occurring on the set of theatrical productions, including unnecessary high-risk conditions such as the use of live firearms," Cortese said in a release.

"Those working behind the scenes to entertain and bring joy to millions all over the world shouldn't go to set worrying if they will return home safely to their families," he said.

Cortese said the move was prompted by last week's fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who was killed when Baldwin fired what he was told was a "cold gun" on the set of the Western, "Rust."