• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Unloading all of the hard work on a black employee who has to deal with some a board filled with problematic white people (The Reddit board) seems kinda bad? Resigning is good though.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Fuck off Alexis. You enabled this shit.

And I doubt any Reddit CEO is actually going to shut down Reddit's cesspools regardless of race

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
This is only good if it results in the changes stated.

And it's not useful if it gets a "token" black or brown or whatever person - especially if that person is just another technolibertarian that values consequence-less "free speech" more than anything else. Reddit and all the sites/content aggregators/commenting networks/"local news syndication" type sites have to have moderation and filtering that seeks to stop racism and disinformation, and value it above "engagement".

The instigators and crazies will never be gone, and their tactics will change as water flows. But if they don't get to exist on real platforms and they're trapped in 99chan on some dude's Tor-powered Raspberry Pi cluster on a houseboat, or they're buried on some non-functional backwater website that barely works a la some Geocities/Xoom forum in 2002, the world would be better off.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. Not sure if backing off and letting someone more suited take his position makes sense or if he should have tried to change things from the inside.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if they don't listen to him now, why would they listen to a black person

So he should have stayed on and been one of the "woke allies?"

Reddit needs to financially compensate moderators and have them be more public facing. Anonymous members of the community moderating for free hasn't been working. Power moderators that moderate dozens of right-leaning boards bully their way into left-leaning boards and oust the original moderating teams, it's a common tactic.

A small board grows, needs help, a prominent mod offers to help, the small board user, maybe not steeped in reddit-insider politics see that they moderate boards with hundreds of thousands and think, "hey, this person will help!" Six months later that small person who lives in that city or participates in that community the board is focused around quits because they're driven out, and now the alt-right control another subreddit.

Before y'all go on about how reddit is trash and needs to be burned, many subreddits know of these tactics and can resist them, and there are subreddits that would ban many posters here for their comments, so don't be so quick to cast stones, Era doesn't have a monopoly on being a progressive and inclusive community.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Not sure if backing off and letting someone more suited take his position makes sense or if he should have tried to change things from the inside.

Maybe I just haven't followed Reddit's higher ups that closely, but isn't he the one that tried to push for change vs the CEO who's more libertarian about it?

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
If he ends up taking the reins again after this, I guess the conspiracy about how he used Ellen Pao will hold a little more weight.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
He's serving up another Ellen Pao at this rate, but I do like the donating he's doing.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Ban the Donald on your way out please.
T_D doesnt exist. They all moved to their own website. All that's left is a husk. They did nothing, took their gains, and now have their own platform. Reddit enabled that

Now most T_D posters are in many other subs, poisoning them with their bad faith beliefs.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Fuck off Alexis. You enabled this shit.

And I doubt any Reddit CEO is actually going to shut down Reddit's cesspools regardless of race
I mean Ellen Pao was going to and they got her kicked right out.

I'm expecting them to bring in someone people might want. and frankly they need to bring back their original firings really fucking ruined the site with it.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Ban the Donald on your way out please.
The Donald is basically a corpse now, because the mods somehow fucked up the chance the admins gave them to still exist they stopped the T_D to be able to make new posts making it worthless, the problem is that other subs like Conservative still aren't banned where most of the users moved on

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

Unloading all of the hard work on a black employee who has to deal with some a board filled with problematic white people (The Reddit board) seems kinda bad? Resigning is good though.

It's his own self-acknowledgement that he is not capable of doing the type of work that needs to be done as executive chairman, and that there are many with industry experience that are.