Oct 25, 2017
Just get someone other than Rebellion to do a Alien vs. Predator game for modern consoles and I'll be happy with the franchise again.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Just get someone other than Rebellion to do a Alien vs. Predator game for modern consoles and I'll be happy with the franchise again.
They ALMOST got it right last time, and even the misstep was fun as hell, so I'd give them another shot at it.

Just you know, don't balance the alien's movement around a controller :\ The old pounce mechanics from AvP1 and AvP2 were so much better.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
You know, after Resurrection, I always thought the next logical step for a sequel would be aliens being used what they were originally meant to be used by Weyland-Yutani: a biological weapon of mass destruction. Only now it backfires on them and Alien 5 is set on Earth in which we witness the downfall of mankind. Kind of like Planet of the Apes but with Xenomorphs. But then we got Prometheus instead.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
The original AvP is one of the shoddiest, dumbest, fakest, most garbage ass larger budget Sci-Fi travesties of film... requiem is LEAGUES better by pure merit of the Predators not looking utterly and completely fake.
They stole a great story/plot/character (that girl) from the comics and completely wasted her in more ways than 1. They took predators and made them look like dopey fuckin idiot wrestlers. Not fast lethal killing machine hunters.
The only part that stands up at all is the ending with the queen which - sadly - is entirely CG from the mid 2000s or whatever so yea.. that doesn't hold up. Out in the snow it's not so bad cause the environment hides a lot of the problems BUT that fight also highlights my hate of the movie cause it has the ONE moment of a predator actually acting like a Predator. So like... they knew how to do it. They know what it SHOULD look like and they just didn't bother except for that one moment. It's fucking laaaaaaaame ( i was disappointed in the theaters with my best friend for this one. Its still a deep cut - if you couldn't tell :-D )

Open World Predator game made by Guerilla would be amazing.
AvP arcade game is fucking brilliant and would be amazing.
Predator 1 and 2 are both amazing.
Alien/Aliens are classics. Everything afterwards has been..... sketch.

The Ghost Recon Predator thing was ffuuuuuuuuuuuccckin awesome. perfect atmosphere...

hmmm what else... Predators is awesome. Shoulder cannons rule... The comics are great everyone should check em out (Race War/Bad Blood/1718 all good stories) .. all the crossovers are pretty sweet. Predators forever, 100 years, www.predators.com forever and ever

OP
OP
MrLuchador

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I'm surprised we never saw an Aliens/AVP/Predator anime. It seems the ideal source material. I mean even Starship Troopers had somewhat successful extended CGI anime release.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Figured this would be a good time to talk about some of the the books that have come out lately in the Alien franchise.

Out of the Shadows (2014) was the first of a loose trilogy rebooting the book universe. Overall, I thought a significant part of the story and one character in particular was ridiculous, but the rest of it was fun. I enjoyed the original characters and the overall story was pretty decent. A solid 3/5 book for me.

Sea of Sorrows (2014) was second in the trilogy and IMO very weak. The first half was much better than the second, when the entire thing collapsed. 1/5 and that's pushing it.

River of Pain (2014), last of the trilogy, is basically the story of the colony falling before Aliens. It isn't consistent with some other things we know but it is a fun ride either way. Nothing spectacular, but enjoyable nonetheless. 3/5

After those three, another trilogy was released called the Rage War. I have yet to read it. The first book is actually a Predator book, Alien second, and AVP third.

Aliens: Bug Hunt (2017), however, I did read. It is an anthology of short stories all about colonial marines and their adventures. Kind of interesting is that barely half of the stories actually feature xenomorphs. It was a strength of the book, imo, to keep you on your toes a bit. Unfortunately, because of the format and nature of the stories, so many of them ended so similarly - with damn near everyone dying. There were some really good stories, and some pretty weak ones but overall very enjoyable for Aliens fans. 4/5

A Predator anthology was recently released as well, though I have yet to get it. We also can look forward to one Alien and one Predator book each being released in 2018 as well.

OP
OP
MrLuchador

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I had no idea there were actual books. I see these are set between Alien and Aliens. Interesting. I might have to check them out, thanks!

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There was one book, that took place a few years after Aliens, where Newt had sex with Hicks. That was enough for me to never touch a Alien book again.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me for doing ranking bullshit but somebody had to:

Alien > Aliens > Predator > Alien 3 > Alien: Covenant > Predator 2 > AvP > Predators > Prometheus > Alien: Resurrection > AvP: Requiem

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
I love Alien, Aliens & Predator. The rest of the films are meh-tier for me.

AvP2 PC was one of the best multiplayer games ever, so much fun. The Evacuation mode was something else and the community was awesome, save for the odd asshole. Me and my friend still joke now about how this guy told us to stop using the plasma caster and speargun because they weren't "honorable" lol.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Big fan of anything Alien and Predator. I loved the AvP games and comics back in the day.

I just wish they would do a new film and do it justice this time. I still don't get how we haven't had a movie like Aliens but with Predators thrown in the mix, like the games and comics. Film makers are so out of touch with the source material. A bunch of cocky Marines, vs Aliens vs Predators would make for a far better movie than the crap we got with the first two movies.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
This is Canon List if you guy want to know

Movies
Alien 1-4
Prometheus
Covenant
Predator 1-4

Novels
Alien: Out of the Shadows
Alien: Sea of Sorrows
Alien: River of Pain
Rage War Trilogy
Alien: Covenant Origin
Alien: Bug Hunt (not all stories in the book are canon)
Predator: If It Bleeds
Alien: Cold Forge

Comics
Fire & Stone
Life & Death
Aliens: Defiance
Alien: Dead Orbit
Aliens: Dust to Dust
Predator: Hunters

Games
Alien: Isolation

In Universe Book.
Weyland Yutani Report
Alien Covenant: David's Drawings

Last edited:

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what timing. This thread showed up at an opportune time. I'm currently playing through the Aliens versus Predator games. Just beat the first and am now playing through AvP2. Love both these franchises.

My takes:
- Predator 2 and Predators are both underrated films.
- Alien 3 is the worst movie in the franchise.
- Resurrection is bad but in its defense, it had to work with the mess Alien 3 made.
- The first AvP film is somewhat underrated.
- AvP Requiem is okay at best. It has the most least interesting human characters. It's also very dark. Literally. I could barely see shit.
- Ripley's discovery of the Queen in the nest is one of the best scenes in the history of cinema.

I nabbed this fun fact from Wikipedia.
Giger initially designed the eggs with a much more obviously vaginal appearance, complete with an "inner and outer vulva". The producers complained that Catholic countries would ban the film if the allusion was too strong, so Giger doubled the lobes to four, so that, in his words, "seen from above, they would form the cross that people in Catholic countries are so fond of looking at."

Oct 28, 2017
You should really change the thread title. It's hard to know what this thread is really about without actually reading the content.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely top 5 for me.

aliens-animated.gif

tumblr_lrfw0gAtbZ1r2i593o1_500.gif

tumblr_mjgtan4byz1qjutm4o1_500.gif
Visually Aliens has aged so goddamn well

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, didn't know this thread was a thing.

Not gonna rank the movies overall as that would be a little difficult and I don't have much time to think about that but the AvP movies were abysmal with the sequel being somehow WORSE than dumpster fire.
Alien Resurrection is the worst movie of the Ripley franchise. Predator 2 is underrated but not better than the original. I haven't seen Covenant.

Little fun fact: I used to be in a clan for the AvP2 computer game.

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017
Alien=Aliens > Predator > Alien 3 > Predator 2 > Predators > Prometheus > Alien: Covenant > AvP > AvP: Requiem > Alien Pepsi commercial > Alien: Resurrection

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Well if we're going to do rankings:

Aliens > Predator > Alien > Predator 2 > Predators > AvP > Prometheus > Alien: Resurrection > AvP: Requiem >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alien 3

I would even put Aliens: Colonial Marines, the game, above Alien 3 if I could. I haven't seen Covenant yet. Alien would be higher if I didn't prefer action to horror. It's actually one of my all-time favorite horror movies.

Oct 28, 2017
Forgive me for doing ranking bullshit but somebody had to:

Alien > Aliens > Predator > Alien 3 > Alien: Covenant > Predator 2 > AvP > Predators > Prometheus > Alien: Resurrection > AvP: Requiem

Kind of amazing that Fox still hasn't been able to make a better Alien movie than Alien 3. I just bought the Anthology on blu-ray and was pleasantly surprised that the 'Assembly Cut' has been given a proper Special Edition treatment. They cleaned up several scenes that had poor production audio. They even had the original actors come in and do ADR for those scenes. The transfer is also beautiful.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I've felt that the only time the concept has been done well is that first Dark Horse comic run with the cattle farming colonists.

Personally my holy trinity consists of Xenos, Predators, Terminators, and Blade Runner- and each property has been given 1 1/2 great entries. Not a fan of the rest of the pulpy monotony that's followed.

The concepts are just so incredible! Aliens and Predators were def my first loves after Ninja Turtles and Jaws, ET, Jurassic Park. Absolute perfection as Ash would say!

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I've felt that the only time the concept has been done well is that first Dark Horse comic run with the cattle farming colonists.

Personally my holy trinity consists of Xenos, Predators, Terminators, and Blade Runner- and each property has been given 1 1/2 great entries. Not a fan of the rest of the pulpy monotony that's followed.

The concepts are just so incredible! Aliens and Predators were def my first loves after Ninja Turtles and Jaws, ET, Jurassic Park. Absolute perfection as Ash would say!
Xenos, Predators, and Terminators. Now that's a concept I can get behind.

OP
OP
MrLuchador

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I'm still hoping for a Netflix Aliens Sci-Fi show of some sort. One day. You've got the Marines, the evil corp and aliens all there and ready to use, plus a fanbase desperate for more.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I love Alien, Aliens & Predator. The rest of the films are meh-tier for me.

AvP2 PC was one of the best multiplayer games ever, so much fun. The Evacuation mode was something else and the community was awesome, save for the odd asshole. Me and my friend still joke now about how this guy told us to stop using the plasma caster and speargun because they weren't "honorable" lol.
Wrist blades or bust!

Fuck I miss that game so much :(

Comics
Fire & Stone
Life & Death
Aliens: Defiance
Alien: Dead Orbit
Aliens: Dust to Dust
Predator: Hunters
Just as a PSA, Aliens: Defiance is the only comic series there worth reading. Fire and Stone is okay, Life and Death ends horribly because Dan Abnett pulled a Dan Abnett, Dead Orbit and Dust to Dust are boring, and Hunters is awful.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just as a PSA, Aliens: Defiance is the only comic series there worth reading. Fire and Stone is okay, Life and Death ends horribly because Dan Abnett pulled a Dan Abnett, Dead Orbit and Dust to Dust are boring, and Hunters is awful.

Any of the Prometheus Comics worth reading? Or any other Aliens comic runs?

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Any of the Prometheus Comics worth reading? Or any other Aliens comic runs?
I enjoyed the Prometheus sections of Fire and Stone quite a bit. The series is set up with groups of four stories, so it's 16 singles long and then a big finale. Each group of four is done by a different team, so the art and writing quality wind up varying pretty heavily, but Prometheus and the final chunk are all done by the same pair, and they're solid. It begins and ends well, but there are spotty moments in the middle.

Life and Death has a great beginning and a dreadful ending.

All in all, I'd say Fire and Stone is worth a look. The Alien section is the weakest, and the AvP section isn't much better, but the Prometheus and Predator parts are cool, and the ending is nice, if not a bit rushed. The ideas there are sound with some mediocre execution here and there. I liked them on the whole, though I got review copies. I never did bother to go back and buy any of them.

If you want non-canon stuff, I recommend the old, old Aliens run by Mark Verheiden. You can get 'em all from Dark Horse in two hardcover editions that come with some nice bonus material. Those I did buy.

And like I said, Aliens Defiance is really quite good. It's 12 issues over two trade paperbacks, so low cost.

I should also note that Dust to Dust just started like this month. The first issue wasn't great, but it has plenty of time to turn itself around.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
Why would Disney kill the Alien franchise - not like they would market it under the Disney label.

since-disney-is-now-buying-20th-century-fox-we-have-29954559.png

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Its funny, but I think I'd prefer the non-canon Alien vs Predator stories and lore (which the movies obviously cannot get right), compared to what has happened with Prometheus and Covenant, where Ridley developed an obsession with AI and David rather than about Aliens.

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
I adore this universe. Favourite movie out of the lot has to be Aliens (my first) followed by Alien, followed by Predator.

Honestly, I could talk the hind legs off a donkey regarding these franchises, but all I will say is that this is one of the best first posts I've ever seen in a thread (Predator Hunter was my go-to guy).

Chiming in to posy the GOAT which was my forst exposure to both series
latest

...unless this thread is to iscuss everything except the games :x

OP
OP
MrLuchador

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, any more information on this? I can't see without signing up.

Its based on an old Alien novel trilogy I guess by the same names. The first one is called Out of the Shadows, and heres the description:

As a child, Chris Hooper dreamed of monsters. But in deep space, he found only darkness and isolation. Then, on planet LV178, he and his fellow miners discovered a storm-scoured, sand-blasted hell - and trimonite, the hardest material known to man.

When a shuttle crashes into the mining ship Marion, the miners learn that there was more than trimonite deep in the caverns. There was evil, hibernating and waiting for suitable prey. Hoop and his associates uncover a nest of Xenomorphs, and hell takes on a new meaning. Quickly they discover that their only hope lies with the unlikeliest of saviors....

Ellen Ripley, the last human survivor of the salvage ship Nostromo.

Basically its set inbetween 1 and 2. Its been really good so far. Only 4 hours long too so not a huge time commitment. Its not a standard audiobook, its a drama with actual actors and sound effects.

The second one sounds awesome though. Its set right before Aliens and shows the events that lead to the destruction of that terraforming setup on the planet.

Heres teh Amazon page for it: https://www.amazon.com/Alien-Shadows-Audible-Original-Drama/dp/B01D07TQJA

You should be able to get a free month trial for signing up if this interests you.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hope is that if we're lucky/unlucky enough to have another Alien film it will a.) be directed by Denis Villeneuve, b.) will inspired by either Aliens: Defiance or Aliens: Dust to Dust and c.) will not have any Ridley Scott involvement and jettison Alien: Covenant, Prometheus and Alien Resurrection. I wouldn't be opposed to not having Ripley appear or at least have a lessened/background role. I know the tale of the xenomorph and Ripley are largely told and tied together but it doesn't hurt to focus on other characters who have never faced a xenomorph or have survived the encounter know its threat and are actively trying to eradicate any trace of its existence. I'd like a mix of action and horror so all fans of the franchise can be pleased.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the Prometheus sections of Fire and Stone quite a bit. The series is set up with groups of four stories, so it's 16 singles long and then a big finale. Each group of four is done by a different team, so the art and writing quality wind up varying pretty heavily, but Prometheus and the final chunk are all done by the same pair, and they're solid. It begins and ends well, but there are spotty moments in the middle.

Life and Death has a great beginning and a dreadful ending.

All in all, I'd say Fire and Stone is worth a look. The Alien section is the weakest, and the AvP section isn't much better, but the Prometheus and Predator parts are cool, and the ending is nice, if not a bit rushed. The ideas there are sound with some mediocre execution here and there. I liked them on the whole, though I got review copies. I never did bother to go back and buy any of them.

If you want non-canon stuff, I recommend the old, old Aliens run by Mark Verheiden. You can get 'em all from Dark Horse in two hardcover editions that come with some nice bonus material. Those I did buy.

And like I said, Aliens Defiance is really quite good. It's 12 issues over two trade paperbacks, so low cost.

I should also note that Dust to Dust just started like this month. The first issue wasn't great, but it has plenty of time to turn itself around.

What!? What didn't you like about Dust to Dust so far? I thought it was really gripping introduction. It was a nice change to witness xenomorphs in an inhabited place and the effect rather than just the aftermath. I can't wait to see where the story goes. I'm hoping that it will be as good as Defiance and Dead Orbit.