• Alien sequels

Votes: 70 26.9%
  • Dead Space film adaptation

Votes: 126 48.5%

• Total voters

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I'll be honest, ive only watched Alien, Aliens, AVP, Prometheus, and Covenant.

Where does it go from here?

my advice/hope: total reboot.
While these movies (1,2) look great for their time, current technology would allow for some crazy shit.
prometheus and covenant were just weird and wasted their budgets.

also: are three and resurrection worth watching?

poll is slightly unrelated, but im curious.

wiki link since I suck at copy paste

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally a soft reboot where we don't retread ground and instead just accept facets of the universe and take it in a different direction. Keep the Xenomorph, the space trucker idea and just go from there. Also introduce new elements into the universe beyond just the Xenomorph and Xenomorph adjacent things (Like Prometheus and Covenant) so that there's room to expand into new territory and do new things, hopefully without weird Ridley Scott subtext.

Perhaps the Xeno is just one creature that happened to escape from a darker part of the galaxy/universe and they could instead take the franchise in a direction that is more about discovering and exploring that as a whole rather than beating the dead Xeno corpse into paste. Lots of room for cosmic horror with that too.

Nov 5, 2017
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd love at least one more movie from Scott showing David perfect his design. Covenant was a lot of fun.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Denis Villeneuve or similar folk could pull it off, but perhaps it's better left alone

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do wish they'd stop this weird notion that they must continue to make sequels and/or prequels for everything. Alien as a franchise should've ended with the second one, just like Terminator. Predator never needed sequels at all and Star Wars didn't need prequels or sequels.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Ask Neill Blomkamp if he is still interested along the OG actors, otherwise let it be at this point.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Show the Engineer homeworld. Bring the rest of Giger's concepts to life. Burn alot of money on it.

May 26, 2018
Honestly I think it's over. They had a chance to keep on with a sequel to Aliens, but that all kinda fell apart as they ditched Aliens and did their own thing. The whole franchise is coasting on fumes.

Retsudo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
Kill it for good, before Ridley decides to change the origin of the xenomorphs again.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
a streaming series/movie would probably be ideal for the franchise but D+ is in its nascent and i doubt they want to peg such family un-friendly content to it at this point

anyway i'm in the minority as i didn't have any major issue with prometheus/covenant and would like to see that arc capped off. but realistically "alien 5" soft reboot is probably where they'll go next, and it won't happen soon

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I have an idea for an Alien movie set in the world of Blade Runner. Just need to get in a room with Ridley to pitch it.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
please add an option for "nothing" or "let it fucking die" or whatever

Bc we should do nothing, and let it fucking die. We got Alien Isolation. Quit now and we'll come out on top.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I don't really get why it's still going. I will say the xenomorph is one of the single best monster designs ever and I don't mind the idea of new alien movies, but the ridley scott universe needs to stop. Prometheus and covenant were about as bad as it can get for me in terms of a competent big budget contribution to the franchise. If they really want to continue move on from Ridley and let Villeneuve have at it.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Watch Alien 3, OP. It is divisive but it is ultimately still a really good show and particularly interesting as an early Fincher. Forget you watched anything else. It's a trilogy, the other films don't exist.

In terms of next steps, I would have loved to see some of what they did in the comics implemented in film - Earth War and the like. But I'd agree with the general sentiment that we got two completely fucking incredible films, one really good one and the consistent demonstration that no one should probably touch the series anymore, most notably one it's main original creators.

Blue Skies can you add a "leave it alone" option to your poll? Particularly given that is how you're thread is overwhelmingly leaning ATM

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would have liked a "nowhere" option, OP.

Not everything needs to go on forever, unlike what execs think.

It should have ended several movies ago.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Took out back and put out of it's misery. It's done, it should've ended with Alien 3 (or Aliens for the majority of people, I liked 3 though).

I voted for Dead Space, gimme that sweet, sweet body horror carnage in space with a space engineer desperately trying to survive.

Oct 27, 2017
Let it rest.

We have:

Alien.

Aliens.

Alien: Isolation (optional)

The Dark Horse comic sequels to Aliens (maybe, for fun)

There really isn't a need for anything else. They've done far more harm than good to the brand at this point. The most recent movies deciding to tackle and answer questions that nobody was ever asking is a good example of completely missing the point of something that was called "Alien".

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
A proper sequel to Prometheus (ie Elizabeth Shaw going to the engineer's homeworld with David) and forgetting Covenant existed

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Let Ridley do one more for a laugh then leave it for a decade before doing a film set in the same universe but hundreds or thousands of years afterwards.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Ideally a soft reboot where we don't retread ground and instead just accept facets of the universe and take it in a different direction. Keep the Xenomorph, the space trucker idea and just go from there. Also introduce new elements into the universe beyond just the Xenomorph and Xenomorph adjacent things (Like Prometheus and Covenant) so that there's room to expand into new territory and do new things, hopefully without weird Ridley Scott subtext.

Perhaps the Xeno is just one creature that happened to escape from a darker part of the galaxy/universe and they could instead take the franchise in a direction that is more about discovering and exploring that as a whole rather than beating the dead Xeno corpse into paste. Lots of room for cosmic horror with that too.

The last part kinda sounds like Pacific Rim but in space which sounds kinda awesome.

We got our Dead Space movie in Event Horizon even though it got torn apart in the editing room.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
If Ridley Scott (or James Cameron for that matter) decides he wants to continue the story, he can go ahead. (I haven't seen Covenant.) Otherwise I don't see the point.

While these movies (1,2) look great for their time, current technology would allow for some crazy shit.

I don't see how better effects would meaningfully improve them.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
Yes, that shit movie bombed.

This franchise, like Terminator, is over. Maybe it can live on through other media but as a film series it's done.

lol. Especially the end of the Terminator film series is pretty funny. Dark Fate was the third (!) movie in a row that was intended as the first part in a new trilogy. Instead of a trilogy we now have three first movies (Salvation, Genesys and Dark Fate).

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Last I checked Ridley was still tinkering away at his Covenant sequel Awakening. 😑

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Either reboot it as a horror in the vein of the original, or leave it alone. Personally I'd prefer the latter as I have no faith that a reboot would be any good. There are two good Alien films and lots of absolute garbage. It's not even worth saving.

Ananke

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2020
Television show that focuses on other nameless characters. Alien is becoming too much like Star Wars in the sense that everything is built around Ellen and her relatives. Some comics, games, and books focus on Amanda. The movies focus on Ellen, and I think Daniels was meant to be Ellen Ripley's mom somehow. The franchise is better when it focuses on character like Zula Hendricks, or Blue Marsalis. Give me a tv show anthology series spanning different outbreaks every season and I'm there. Or give me a some piece of fiction where Weyland-Yutani is taken down, much like Umbrella was in Resident Evil. There is only so long that they can get away with killing people before it reaches the general public and they're forced to close their doors.​

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
I've been so disappointed with Scott's woeful attempts to return to the Alien universe I took pen to paper and wrote my own in-universe novella! IMO what Scott got wrong was taking away the grounded realism, the mystery of it all, the eerie disturbing, disquieting, lonely view of space. Not everything needed to be explained. That's what I tried to go for.

Somehow Alien Isolation (which I adore) got the atmosphere down perfectly - it is possible to return to this place, with this antagonist and still have it be terrifying.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
lol. Especially the end of the Terminator film series is pretty funny. Dark Fate was the third (!) movie in a row that was intended as the first part in a new trilogy. Instead of a trilogy we now have three first movies (Salvation, Genesys and Dark Fate).
Terminator and Alien both have a problem with creatives coasting on iconography and trying to revist the past then actually doing anything worth anyones time. The executives that keep greenlighting them don't seem to understand that audiences don't want to see the same thing theyve been seeing for 30 - 40 years ad nauseum