Status
Not open for further replies.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Does No BS Paul Wight do work backstage, or is he really just a commentator on a Youtube show? If so, that's an odd hire. And ALSO, bring back Leva Bates.

Captain C

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also feeling the fatigue of the show, wrt the women's booking. If the Team Taz stuff wasn't what I've been begging for (since every member of Team Taz are the people I'm most looking forward to any given episode) and the potentially incoming return of Kenny Omega wasn't just on the horizon, I'd probably be taking a break from the show just because of how little TK cares about the women that aren't dentists. Why are we getting random squash matches with Tony Nese and Smart Mark Sterling on live TV when people like Kris Statlander isn't getting anything, or people like Nyla, Willow and Shida being relegated to Elevation?

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Statlander is right there. She's had her Becky Lynch moment with the Rampage promo before her match against Ruby. People are ready for her.

Athena also rules and could be a major player who consistently puts on bangers.

Toni Storm feels like she's finally finding her voice, and it's clear she can go.

Hell, Shida is still over and could run with a title at this point.

But yeah, it mostly boils down to Tony. He's got the raw ingredients. He just chooses to let them stagnate. Tale as old as time.

It's never just one thing, as talent still has to deliver and make the crowd care, but...eh. I'm tired of talking about it already because it comes up so often in the fandom. :-/

Rooting for Ruby and Anna tomorrow.
They need to be given more time, more promos in the ring and more matches that have meaning. Like Jericho is out there every week with catch phrase after catch phrase but no one backstage can come up for something to chant during Thunder Rosa's matches and promos or something to get the crowd behind her like Cowboy Shit for Page? Like nothing at all? Just have her come out thank the fans "I did it for you and because of your support", I think that basic white meat baby face promo isn't enough for the fans to really get behind you now a days. Don't even get me started on their feuds where Jericho and Kingston(whom I love) get months and months for a blood feud and the women get scraps for builds

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
My dream booking for the AEW title would be: Mox/Punk —-> Kingston —> Hobbs —> Ricky
I like this a lot. Have Punk win it back from Mox to unify, Kingston after finishing with Jericho finally gets his shot at the big one and wins it from Punk finally finishing that off, meanwhile Hobbs goes on a monster tear and murders Eddie for the belt, then Ricky finally comes back for his revenge.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is AEW needs more women wrestling but that wrestling needs to be GREAT. If it has to be Deebs out there each week fine. If it has to be the same 4-5 women until the others have built up more experience on dark/indies that is fine to me. It just can't be bad and needs to feel meaningful.

They NEED someone like Sasha. They NEED stories.
I'm also not high on half the women I see each week as most people here are.
Also if you are going to have women who are less experienced out there don't let them in 15min match where they can get lost. Keep it short and simple. Have both women leave the ring looking great. Have more women's tag matches.

I was super high on Thunder Rosa and I expected more out of her title run.
I think they could have a huge star is Statlander

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
All I know is AEW needs more women wrestling but that wrestling needs to be GREAT. If it has to be Deebs out there each week fine. If it has to be the same 4-5 women until the others have built up more experience on dark/indies that is fine to me. It just can't be bad and needs to feel meaningful.

Also if you are going to have women who are less experienced out there don't let them in 15min match where they can get lost. Keep it short and simple. Have both women leave the ring looking great. Have more women's tag matches.

Good idea, Smackdown Six it.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Jonathan Gresham doesn't figure into AEW/ROH creative plans as of now after asking for his release.

Fightful Select reported Sunday that Gresham asked for his release from the company. The situation was confirmed by both sides as "getting heated" privately. However, we were told from the AEW side of things, they were happy with how the match between Gresham and Claudio Castagnoli came off, and many respected the professionalism of him continuing with the match. Despite the heated nature of the conversation, it didn't appear that any bridges were burned. We also have yet to get a confirmation that a release was granted.

We've learned that there was interest from "at least three companies" before Gresham ended up signing with AEW/ROH, but it was also said that his immediate feelings were that he was done with wrestling for a while. Many of his co-workers believe that Gresham loves wrestling too much for that to be a reality, however.

We have not heard of any connection between Jonathan Gresham and Tully Blanchard leaving, and haven't heard any indication that one or the other were particularly attached to their on-screen pairing.

Jonathan Gresham update from Fightful.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Gresham is too unique to let go just like that imo. If they can smooth things over, he can be a unique piece for AEW.

Oct 27, 2017

It's weird because I've seen people that aren't signed but have been on Dark and even Dynamite like Kilynn King have good to great matches on other shows but never on AEW tv. I don't know if it's the booking or the way the AEW matches were formatted or if it's because of the difference in crowd size or time from their match/segment being cut but it seems like something always goes wrong for these women in AEW when they get their shot and then they disappear from TV.

Kilynn King and Red Velvet together in those NWA EmpoweRRR Tag Matches during that Tag Tournament were all pretty good. They looked super comfortable together and you could buy them being a badass elite team. Never saw them tag consistently on Dynamite or Rampage from what I can remember. What I've seen of the Knockouts division in Impact was always fine and I love love loved the Fire N Flavor team when I was watching during Kenny's Championship reign. But the key there is they got to do promos, they got to have their backstage segments, they had matches consistently on tv even if it wasn't figured into an ongoing storyline just so you could get familiar with them and love seeing them together every week. We barely get that shit on AEW TV and it's sporadic when it does happen.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Tbh, I was happy to see the tag titles continuing to be featured in a story for the fourth week in a row last night, and I enjoyed the Sw3rve and Nese/Sterling match. One of AEW's weaknesses has been vanishing champions (in all divisions), so I was good with what we got last night, and it will likely set up a match for BotB III or maybe Quake at the Lake.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Good idea, Smackdown Six it.
Yeah because putting women out there who are inexperience in front of a live crowd on TV to have a mediocre match is a great idea. That is why you have Dark. Face it.. we only getting one women's match a show. That match needs to be talked about as one of the best if not the best segments on the show. I don't know how they get there but it isn't Ana Jay vs [Insert Women's wrestler here].

I was so hot and pumped for that Rosa match last night and it fell flat. That can't be happening.

It's weird because I've seen people that aren't signed but have been on Dark and even Dynamite like Kilynn King have good to great matches on other shows but never on AEW tv. I don't know if it's the booking or the way the AEW matches were formatted or if it's because of the difference in crowd size or time from their match/segment being cut but it seems like something always goes wrong for these women in AEW when they get their shot and then they disappear from TV.

Kilynn King and Red Velvet together in those NWA EmpoweRRR Tag Matches during that Tag Tournament were all pretty good. They looked super comfortable together and you could buy them being a badass elite team. Never saw them tag consistently on Dynamite or Rampage from what I can remember. What I've seen of the Knockouts division in Impact was always fine and I love love loved the Fire N Flavor team when I was watching during Kenny's Championship reign. But the key there is they got to do promos, they got to have their backstage segments, they had matches consistently on tv even if it wasn't figured into an ongoing storyline just so you could get familiar with them and love seeing them together every week. We barely get that shit on AEW TV and it's sporadic when it does happen.

You're right.. I've seen some of the women put on great matches outside of AEW. If there is one positive thing I can say about Impact is that they know how to book a respected women's division. It sucks but I feel like they need to focus on a smaller group for TV and get them all super over. Once they are over you can start to work in some of the others. Hoping this is starting to happen with Rosa, Storm and Hyter.

It just frustrates me and after last night it came to a head.

I have a co-worker who jokes about the women's match being a bathroom break. That isn't cool but they rarely deliver.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Yep. This is all correct.

It's important to contextualize stuff like Rosa's promos in the bigger picture of how Tony is booking her and the women in general. It's also valid to wonder if she's making these promo choices herself and if Tony is just letting her sink or swim...while asking if that's something he should continue doing if he sees that something isn't hitting the right way.

*sees P A Z eyeing this thread and scrolling past "the discourse" around all this. LOL*

No I've actually read it all & agreed with a lot of the points.

I got nothing to add that hasn't already been said more elegantly than I'd put it.

EvilDead1987

Nov 4, 2021
South Eastern PA
Tbh, I was happy to see the tag titles continuing to be featured in a story for the fourth week in a row last night, and I enjoyed the Sw3rve and Nese/Sterling match. One of AEW's weaknesses has been vanishing champions (in all divisions), so I was good with what we got last night, and it will likely set up a match for BotB III or maybe Quake at the Lake.

Yeah, I'm thinking that Tag Title match happens at Battle of the Belts. Probably also a TBS Championship & All-Atlantic Championship Match too (The last one being what happened after PAC's latest defense in Rev Pro)

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I've wanted the women's division to be way more prominent since the beginning, but I've also wanted the Trios title so badly. It was one of the few good things CHIKARA ever did, and quite frankly, AEW has CHIKARA in it's blood just as much as ROH and PWG.

(it's the atlantic title that's the offbeat IMO, but Pac is giving good matches, so whatever)

The women need way more time, and a lot less burials from Britt.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Let's gather up all our ideas for the women's division and forward them to Tony.

About to slide into those DM's hahahah.

I can see the TK tweet now..

"A bunch of geeks slid into my DM's trying to tell me how to book women's wrestling. Well guess what? I didn't even read them because they all stink.

TUNE INTO AEW DYNAMITE WEDNESDAY AT 8PM AS WE GET ANOTHER #1 RATING IN THE SLOTS"

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
I've wanted the women's division to be way more prominent since the beginning, but I've also wanted the Trios title so badly. It was one of the few good things CHIKARA ever did, and quite frankly, AEW has CHIKARA in it's blood just as much as ROH and PWG.

(it's the atlantic title that's the offbeat IMO, but Pac is giving good matches, so whatever)

The women need way more time, and a lot less burials from Britt.

I keep saying AEW should drive a bulldozer into what's left of the Wrestle Factory and make out of it with the naming rights to King Of Trios.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I will say…Ricky Starks 100% deserves to be a future World Champion! His charisma is off the charts. From the facial expressions to everything else.

He has "IT" he is the total Wrestling package! He could easily help the company go even more mainstream as Champ. You just put him infront of a Camera and nobody can turn away!

If he never gets that World Title it will be the biggest AEW Fail!

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I think it's worth remembering who gets to try to improve and who doesn't. We can be down on Rosa, but I remember a time when Britt Baker was a babyface and everyone haaaated it. Her promos were bad and her ring work wasn't so hot either. But she was allowed to turn heel and was one of the most consistently televised wrestlers in the company until recently. Where was that for Rosa?

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I think it's worth remembering who gets to try to improve and who doesn't. We can be down on Rosa, but I remember a time when Britt Baker was a babyface and everyone haaaated it. Her promos were bad and her ring work wasn't so hot either. But she was allowed to turn heel and was one of the most consistently televised wrestlers in the company until recently. Where was that for Rosa?

To be fair, there was a pandemic and AEW was anemic for talent at the time. They needed anything they could find.

That said, Rosa and others definitely need more time to work on TV or at least on YouTube.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
To be fair, there was a pandemic and AEW was anemic for talent at the time. They needed anything they could find.

That said, Rosa and others definitely need more time to work on TV or at least on YouTube.
I don't know that that's totally accurate though. Britt was getting the heel push prior to the lockdown. During lockdown they put Rosa over Britt, but only in a match that didn't count, and then they immediately dumped Rosa (the winner) on YouTube so that Britt (the loser) could build her record so that the record would justify her getting a title shot. Meanwhile, Shida was hardly ever around, and when she was she was usually standing in the crowd. Then they waited until lockdown ended so Britt could have her big title run in front of crowds.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
One thing I will say…Ricky Starks 100% deserves to be a future World Champion! His charisma is off the charts. From the facial expressions to everything else.

He has "IT" he is the total Wrestling package! He could easily help the company go even more mainstream as Champ. You just put him infront of a Camera and nobody can turn away!

No kidding. I was lukewarm on him about 6 months ago but I've really come around on him. He makes the absolute most of whatever TV time he gets every week. His entire presentation is just electric - his entrance music, his pose, his air (belt?) guitar, he's fantastic on the mic, and I could go on and on. I'm hoping last night's developments mean he is getting pushed to even better things.

Now that I think about it, the thing that made me take notice was the finish to his match with Jay Lethal:

View: https://youtu.be/4-5_8bptl2k

The whole clip is worth watching but fast-forward to 4:30 for the finish.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
No kidding. I was lukewarm on him about 6 months ago but I've really come around on him. He makes the absolute most of whatever TV time he gets every week. His entire presentation is just electric - his entrance music, his pose, his air (belt?) guitar, he's fantastic on the mic, and I could go on and on. I'm hoping last night's developments mean he is getting pushed to even better things.

Now that I think about it, the thing that made me take notice was the finish to his match with Jay Lethal:

View: https://youtu.be/4-5_8bptl2k

The whole clip is worth watching but fast-forward to 4:30 for the finish.

Seeing Hobbs standing by his best friend at the end of this clip makes me as sad as Dante looks

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
At this point all I want regarding the women's division is for Tony, in his interviews, to mention that he knows they need more time and better creative angles.

That's it. Not the results of it. Just verbal understanding.

And more Shida and Statlander.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the opinion to separate those ready for TV and those that aren't. Then put those ladies in some storylines. Willow, Nyla, Statlander, and Shida should never be on anything but Dynamite/Rampage.

Also, while I appreciate what TK is doing by bringing over some of the joshi talent, he's really got to stop bringing them in on TV when the crowd knows next to nothing about them. At least we got the opportunity to get to know Shida, Riho, Yuka, Emi, Ryo, and Maki over time. I would've had no idea who Miyu was if I didn't watch the YouTube shows.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to the feud between Tay and Paige Van Zant?

Oct 27, 2017
They've started improving it a little by sneaking women into the various men's division segments so people can actually find out who the hell some of these people are but that 1 match a night thing really puts a damper on how over anyone can get.

Maybe it would be cool if they can get a 2nd 5 minute match just as a quick exhibition for new women or to put someone over as a serious competitor.

This would've been good for someone like Miyu. A few nights of her kicking various heads off and showing the people what she's got on national television might've had the crowd a little more invested in her before her televised match with Rosa.

Sending Joshi out to sink or swim in a match with someone they're not super comfortable working with on national television as the audience's first exposure to someone is kind of rude.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017

Someone showed me this promo Ricky put together back before he debuted in AEW and I was fucking sold right away.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbdY6mdbHmI

He understands himself and his character so well.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's usually so busy to completely keep up with wrestling as a whole these days with AEW the stuff that compels me the most are the BCC, The Baddies and Team Taz. All the other stuff just, nah not for me. It's not that I wasn't a fan of more things, I just don't feel interested enough to care about them much. AEW brings dope matches, it's got some dope characters but eh, I don't know. Not even gonna give a long opinion on the women's division as I agree with a lot who say it's down.

Glad Hook won that title. Much deserved.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yes, precisely this!! A trios belt is absolutely unnecesary right now. Like completely unnecesary. Factions have been completely fine for a long time without it. But how much would a women's tag belt tournament have added to the show? Maybe that's coming, I hope so, but you have to prioritize what's lacking on the show first.

I disagree. Unless you're saying the only way to get a second women's match on the card is to have another belt. They really need to be able to support at least two singles matches on a Dynamite before they even think of introducing a tag title or the same problems will happen but it'll just seem a lot more crowded.

Status
Not open for further replies.