• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
f2c96357e75161a66bd2ca8a5c2df221.gif

Not sure if starting your ad like a horror movie was the best idea but it certainly grabs your attention.

castlegar

Oct 27, 2017
15 years from now you're making your last stand after this thing's been hunting you down for days, you think you get it with the rocket, and then it just gets up like that

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
This is the first robot I've ever seen from Dynamics that actually was a little scary.

Wonder why they did that video? Not their usual cute stuff.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw Boston Dynamics videos I thought it was CGI. Tbh I still can't tell a lot of the time. The parkour one threw me for a loop.

OP
OP
Kinthey

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first robot I've ever seen from Dynamics that actually was a little scary.

Wonder why they did that video? Not their usual cute stuff.
Actually part of the interview posted above

In the context of Atlas' range of motion, that introductory video was slightly uncomfortable to watch, which I'm sure was deliberate. Why introduce the new Atlas in that way?

Playter:
These high range of motion actuators are going to enable a unique set of movements that ultimately will let the robot be very efficient. Imagine being able to turn around without having to take a bunch of steps to turn your whole body instead. The motions we showed [in the video] are ones where our engineers were like, "hey, with these joints, we could get up like this!" And it just wasn't something we had that really thought about before. This flexibility creates a palette that you can design new stuff on, and we're already having fun with it and we decided we wanted to share that excitement with the world.

Basically they really wanted show off the joints, something the hydraulic Atlas couldn't do. Though some kind of dance routine might have been less creepy lol

I like how in the interview they are boasting that it already has superhuman strength and is capable of contorting its limbs in a human can't. Pointing out how it can get into and out of spaces difficult for a person, and can reorient itself if blocked in.

Like, you're just checking off the list that make this an ideal anti-human weapon system.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Incredible.

Also, a reminder that as much as Tesla would like you to think they're not faking their robot vids... they are.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Nice. That's the way to do it; otherwise fully mimicking human bodies' limitations is just a bit pointless.

Next up:
-ability to transform to quadrupedal mode
-six limb versions just because it's cool
-synthetic muscles to replace actuators?

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Neat, omnidirectional joints are a good idea. Makes Elon's robot look like a piece of shit. To be fair, the previous Atlas did too.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I know everyone likes to be afraid of these robots, but man, I just think they're the coolest things.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Love how the face is a dark void, so when you try to identify the robot that nearly murdered you, you can't

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The glow ring makes me think of the Culture, where drones (which are intelligent) have auras to act as expressions since they're just simple elongated spheres.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Curious about specs, AI incorporation, battery life, etc. Definitely want to see more. I mean they've obviously nailed dexterity

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine humans ever being comfortable with humanoid robots doing stuff like that. Shit is unnatural.

kukubrew

Nov 7, 2017
Something familiar about it - give it some fancy clothes, maybe a shifting gun for an arm.

Oh
b3f656758024d4d5bb88a0b8acc4e0ac.jpg

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
"Imagine being able to turn around without having to take a bunch of steps to turn your whole body instead."

VSNmgWF.gif

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, they retired HD Atlus yesterday in a sad ass video and quickly announced their replacement today..

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine owning one of these, waking up in the middle of night and seeing it stand up like that.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was going to start hissing and mimicking Voldo before it stood up.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
'The humans are dead. The humans are dead. We used poisonous gasses. And we poisoned their asses'

Robots from Flight of The Conchords.