• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Saya

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the heat that much, but the drought is terrible. Trees, plants, and grasses around here are dying. If it would only rain for a while... but it doesn't seem like it will. Predicted to get even hotter next week, approaching 40c.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
So what is causing all this heat wave...?
Greenhouse effect or something else...?
There's never one specific thing that causes any given heat wave. Weather is extremely fluid and complex. The frequency of extreme heat (and cold) periods are enhanced by climate change, and the intensity of the heatwaves is directly influenced by global warming. Nothing going on here is going to make things worse in the short term. For example, just randomly polluting a lot in some area doesn't cause temporary climate change or anything.

For a more scientific answer, this has been months in the making in Europe. Sea ice in the arctic in the Scandinavian region has been at a record low for months, which means there's less of a colder bubble to push back. There's some evidence of a direct connection between heat in the UK and Scandinavia with the retreat of sea ice, but because this has been changing so quickly for the past decade it's hard to calculate trends. Sea surface temperatures all around Europe are far above normal which promotes more air from north Africa to spread northward over eastern Europe. This sort of positive feedback loop takes a long time to develop and is difficult to break apart quickly.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
zdIUgCv.png

Everyone come down to the coolest part in this country.

Actually don't.

I flew from Houston to NYC this week and was hoping a break from the Texas heat. Well...fuck.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is going to be disease which wipes out of this world, not any nuclear weapons. Tropical diseases are going to be very rapidly spread all over the world now that the climate is conducive for it

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's all going to go to shit anyways I'd wish it had gone the opposite and it'd get extremely cold instead.
I hate Texas so much sometimes.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
Things are going to get interesting when mass migration starts due to climate change.

World is not prepared for this.