• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
arstechnica.com

Almost every Ferrari sold since 2005 is being recalled

A faulty brake fluid reservoir cap might not vent properly, causing brake failure.

Spare a thought for Ferrari. Not its F1 team, repeatedly snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as rival Red Bull romps away with the championships, but the road car division, which is in the process of recalling nearly every car it has sold since 2005.

The problem is the cap of the brake fluid reservoir. It's designed to vent pressure if necessary, but evidently that design isn't so hot. Venting can fail to happen, causing a vacuum to build up, resulting in a possible leak of brake fluid. And if you don't have any brake fluid in your brake lines, you aren't going to be able to slow down or stop (without hitting something large and solid).

The fix is therefore pretty simple—a new brake fluid reservoir cap, and a software patch that lets a driver know if their brake fluid reservoir is running low. (Should this occur, Ferrari says pull over immediately and get the car towed.)
Dreams-Visions bet you glad you went with the Ashton Martion

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
I had this happen in my Ferrari 495* on I-220. Scary shit, I had to pump the parking break to slow the car down before I managed to drive into an off ramp and get into a safe place to park.

*Actually at 1995 Buick LeSabre.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully people don't drive fast in that kind of car so everyone should be okay.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I rented a 458 Italia (2013) in Miami for a weekend recently and was ripping that shit around. Glad the brakes worked, lol.

Last edited:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Binotto says they don't need to change anything in their processes.

Davilmar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard an old rumor that all Ferraris in Europe are covered under warranty due to the myriad of issues of quality build over the decades. Whether that is true or not, this is shocking. And I leave satisfied over the F1 jokes.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Good thing I drive a Porshaaaaaa. Funny tid bit, I drove my car to Hawk's Nest lookout. Parked her by the road and started taking some photos...and a bunch of girls driving by in a jeep yelled out "Porshaaaaaaaa!".

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
9p5k8ugl07l31.jpg