• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrMatt555

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The volume of games for a first iteration of hardware with the PlayStation 1 was unprecedented...

Third party support + very strong 1st party support from Sony and a touch of good ol "first console I owned" nostalgia and, I gotta go with PSone.

So many damn memories... Before paid online. Before psn outages. Before 600 dollar price tags. We just had a system we didn't deserve. I still find quality games to this day I missed on the ps1 and think man, this system had a game for everyone..twisted metal, syphon filter, tomba, gex, crash, Spyro...Final Freaking Fantasy..the list goes on.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
1>2>4>3

PS2 was a fantastic generation, but the 5th generation machine just had such a creative and massive library.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I sincerely believe nothing will ever top the quality and quantity of content seen on the PS2.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
not even a question, ps2. closest thing we'll ever get to NES where it's just completely standard if you have any interest in games

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS2 took gaming and made it popular with everyone, not just young guys.

And the library is utterly ridiculous, there are so many masterpieces and genre defining moments.

I think I'm enjoying the PS4 the most though.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None they all sucked, hur hur hur hur.

Nah I am kidding, though for nostalgia purpose I will go for PS1. I did play Crash 2 a lot along with Digimon World and Spider-Man as I didn't have PS2 during the PS2/GCN/Xbox era.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 > 4 > 3 > 1

I was still a baby around PS1 days so couldn't really appreciate it much, and I don't really enjoy playing those really old games now.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, really any answer could be the right one. Sony has just completely nailed consoles. There has never been a PlayStation console that wasn't at least great. The best ones are just best of all time material.

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 was the worst platform with the best games. Hopefully a media spanking from all the recent anti-consumer moves knocks them down a notch so we get another creative boost like during the PS3 era.

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
4 is and will be the best.
It feels just like ps2.

Capcom is back and better than ever platinum games keeps making awesome titles, squarenix is still king imo and with all the dark souls and blood borne, sekiro action games things are going to be lit.

Oh and kh3

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 you can still go back and play most of it's huge games and still have a great time.

PS1 is a different story, the library hasn't aged that well beyond 2D games

PS4

PS3

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly for me it might be 7th gen. Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, Yakuza 3.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
2 > 4 > 3 > 1
PS4 could surpass PS2 eventually. For now, though, I think PS2 is easily the best gen for PlayStation.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, man. That's a tough one.The PS1 generation was so formative, redefining how we approached console gaming and delivering what deserves to be considered one of the best generational line-ups of games in gaming's history. But it was also such a developmental era. It was like the awkward toddler years of modern 3D-graphics console gaming. And where the PS1 built the foundation, the PS2 generation thrived...

Nah, I can't do it. The PS1 just had too many unbelievably good games, even if the PS2 era will age much, much better.

JaxJag

Oct 28, 2017
PS4 might be. The PSone generation is absolutely the worst. Games ran bad, controlled bad, and looked bad. And the proof that the PSone is the worst PlayStation? It's the hardest generation to go back to. 8 bit/16 bit era holds up much better.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna put aside personal preference and say PS2. I like the PS1 more, but the PS2 library is pretty crazy when you look at it. Nearly every major publisher was releasing great games outside of some stuff that was exclusive to the Xbox and Gamecube.

The variety of content to choose from was crazy.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
If PC was like it was in the PS2 era I would put PS4 pretty close to PS2 in the rankings but in reality its probably PS2-PS1-PS4-PS3

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I'd say ps3. Sure ps2 has the biggest library of games, but ps3 has some of the best ps2 games in remastered form and also contains some of my favourite franchises.
I'd wait until the end of this generation to be fair since most of the heavy hitters, for me at least, have not dropped yet (rdr2, dmc5, scVI, tsushima, sekiro, cbpk2077, etc)

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
PS1 as it has more classic/great games, PS2 as it has way more good/great games.

...That made sense in my head :/