• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I've talked about this in other threads before, but I'll reiterate that the Switch has amassed one of the all-time greatest shmup libraries in gaming history. It stands tall alongside the 360 and PC (and arguably surpasses them) in this regard, and accessories like the Flip Grip make it pretty much inarguably the best way to play shmups on the go.

But when you have a catalog this deep and rich, inevitably some hidden gems fall through the cracks. Even a relative shmup enthusiast like me still occasionally stumble across a surprisingly good indie shmup release on Switch that I'd never have known about had I not seen some YouTube coverage of it on a shmup-centric channel. So in this thread let's try to recommend one or two of the most underappreciated shmups on the Switch for both old heads and new players curious about the genre to learn about and try.

Any type of shmup is welcome here, whether it be horizontal, vertical, classic, or bullet hell. The only real consideration to make is to try and avoid what most people would consider obvious, very well-known shmups on the platform like Ikaruga, the DoDonPachi games, Deathsmiles, etc. Let's try to highlight the real deep cuts here as best we can.

I'll start off with two games that I know not nearly enough people have played but I absolutely adore:

Hazelnut Hex

9FFA220E5FFF5AA33ED9EA064DE60F6C5F6DB7A4

I tend to pretty heavily prefer vertical shooters over horizontal, but Hazelnut Hex is so well-designed and gorgeous to look at that it pretty quickly became one of my favorite Switch shmups despite that preference. The game's art style is the first thing you'll notice, looking like something adjacent to a classic Cartoon Network show (e.g. Powerpuff Girls) but featuring a more subdued, pastel color palette. Hazelnut Hex sets things up with a charming and unique premise that puts you in control of the mascot character for the world's most popular cereal, and it sticks to that theme admirably throughout its short-but-challenging runtime.

Like any good shmup, 1CC-ing this game will prove to be quite a challenge for most players, but I also found it to be very approachable for people new to the genre as well. The difficulty curve ramps up gradually as you progress through its stages, and you aren't getting slapped to the ground by a Cave-esque Stage 3 difficulty spike here. And the whole thing is so colorful, cheery, and responsive that it's hard to be made at a failed run anyway. Highly recommended, and I hope it does well enough to allow its creators to make another.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5oPEHpcVMI

Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo

16d0ba75efd681914e9da94f623c27184e0062ce8fcdb005129e04995e22ee5f

This game took me completely by surprise when I picked it up a year or so ago. Here we have vertical, bullet hell-style shmup that might look a bit odd in screenshots, but in motion and while playing it's an absolute delight from top to bottom. The game has an actually pretty cool story backdrop to it involving sentient AI's threatening the world, and its audiovisual presentation is truly something to behold. Mecha Ritz has a uniquely dazzling art style that makes you feel like you're inside a computer's fever dream as it succumbs to a critical virus, and the music curb stomps you with its excellence right from the beginning and never lets up.

One of my favorite aspects about the game other than its presentation and tight gameplay, however, is just how replayable it is. This game is actually a really good recommendation for new players in particular as it's very generous with additional lives and power-ups. In that regard it ends up being much more of a power fantasy than your typical bullet-hell shmup, with any seasoned player being able to 1CC it on their first try. That doesn't hold the game back, mind you. The game is meant to be replayed thanks to its multiple branching paths and a wealth of unlockable ships that all play wildly differently. I'm not kidding. Some of the ships transform the game into something completely different with their unique mechanics. So trying to go through and unlock everything via different routes and with different ships is something that I think most people would feel naturally compelled to do. Don't sleep on this one, I beg you!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB-R0A9vHbI

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Here's some underrated shmups on Switch.

m.youtube.com

Never Awake Review - Nintendo Switch

Multi-directional-scrolling twin-stick set inside a little girl's nightmares, Never Awake does things differently, and fortunately, it also does them really ...

www.youtube.com

Squad 51 Vs The Flying Saucers Review - Nintendo Switch

Belated review of early SF throwback Squad 51 Vs The Flying Saucers.For more Switch shmup news, reviews etc, visit http://nshmups.com or follow us on Twitter...

www.youtube.com

Barrage Fantasia Review - Nintendo Switch

Review of pixel art danmaku Barrage Fantasia. This one looks impossibly crazy, but it's actually very forgiving.For more Switch shmup news, reviews etc, foll...

Bunty Hoven

Oct 30, 2017
Even a relative shmup enthusiast like me still occasionally stumble across a surprisingly good indie shmup release on Switch that I'd never have known about had I not seen some YouTube coverage of it on a shmup-centric channel.
Worth to give a mention to https://m.youtube.com/@ShmupsOnSwitch/videos in this thread, if for no other reason than by clicking on the videos tab you get a pretty comprehensive list of schmups on the system as a reminder of what's on there. Would certainly be a deep cut if it didn't make that list.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Like Dreamer is my favorite on the platform. It does unfortunately have one character whose design is pretty terrible and will likely understandably turn people off, but aside from that the game is basically perfect.

Specifially, it takes all of the best parts of Touhou (well designed difficulty levels that make the game fun no matter the skill-level and great boss designs) and merges it with what you'd expect from a CAVE shmup (excellent stage design).

The same developer also made Cosmo Dreamer, which I haven't gotten around to yet. But I'd assume it's also good.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Like Dreamer is my favorite on the platform. It does unfortunately have one character whose design is pretty terrible and will likely understandably turn people off, but aside from that the game is basically perfect.

Specifially, it takes all of the best parts of Touhou (well designed difficulty levels that make the game fun no matter the skill-level and great boss designs) and merges it with what you'd expect from a CAVE shmup (excellent stage design).

The same developer also made Cosmo Dreamer, which I haven't gotten around to yet. But I'd assume it's also good.

Yeah, the art style and problematic character designs have always put me off from trying the Dreamer duology, but I know they're generally considered to be very good regardless. I see that they're on sale on the eShop right now, so maybe I'll finally give Like Dreamer a whirl.

Oct 28, 2017
I play a lot of Strikers 1945, I feel like its the peak of that sort of schmup.

Really though Ikaruga is the reason I grab my flipgrip most of the time.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

Just picked it up on sale, and yeah this game rules. Super tight gameplay, perfect controls, fun multi-phase boss fights. The absurd character designs are so overly offensive that they kind of just read as humorously absurdist, honestly. I'd still rather they weren't there at all, but I can live with them since the game is so good.