• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get a chicken ghallaba wrap with a side of grilled vegetables from a local Mediterranean restaurant almost every day for lunch. I haven't gotten tired of it because it's both delicious, relatively inexpensive ($10) and assume, quite healthy. When I say every day I mean every day I work for about the last 4 months. I've gotten to the point where I call in and they know who I am and know what I'm going to order ahead of time. I really like going there and it's very convenient to just stop off there on my way to work.

And I've vowed never to go there again.

While picking up my food I saw the manager sneeze into his hands and not wash them before starting to handle food and food utensils (he was putting flat bread into the oven, went to sit down, sneezed, then went to get flat bread out of the oven.) I mentioned to the person who was cashing me out that the guy didn't wash his hands after sneezing. That's how the flu is spread, man. :( Then the guy cashing me out said something to the manager in Arabic and the manager said "Miss I did not sneeze into my hands."

I was standing right there. I saw him do it. I spend most of my day talking to people who're lying to my face and I just said, nah, give me my money back and told them I wasn't coming back. No argument, I just got a refund, said I wasn't coming back, and haven't been back.

I know that sometimes people sneeze. Heck, sometimes people working at restaurants sneeze or cough or whatever and forget to wash their hands. I know it happens. Whatever. What really got under my skin is the guy saying he didn't do it when I saw him do it. If he didn't lie to my face I'd probably shrug it off and still go there. Instead, I'm trying every Mediterranean restaurant I can find that's on my way to work but nowhere is as good. :/

Should I stick to my guns? Should I come crawling back? Am I being a bitch?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no you're not being a bitch. That's disgusting. It's even worse that the manager did that.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Not blowing it out of proportion. In the food industry, where diseases spread so easily, that is completely unacceptable.

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty gross. One of the very first thing they taught me in culinary school is that if you're on the line and you have to sneeze you sneeze into your elbow and never your hands. I mean it's unlikely to make anyone really sick, but it is gross. I dunno if I'd stop going to a place I really liked over it but it's your prerogative OP. Whatever decision makes you feel the best.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
That's gross. Also people handling food should turn their head and sneeze into their shoulder or upper arm. Not their hands for that exact reason.

Squiggely

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, you've already answered your own question but for the sake of the thread, yes they were scummy.

Move on.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Nah you're in the right. Not taking hygeine and cleanliness seriously can get people sick and, for me, it's the number one way to lose my appetite and not eat there.

Had this same issue with this dude that worked at a diner. Would rub and scratch his face, rub his nose, etc. That shit bothers me to the core. People complained and they wouldn't fire him or at least move him from handling food so alot of people just stopped going.

Oct 25, 2017
The salt we have for our french fries has cayenne pepper mixed into it so I actually spend a lot off time shoving my face into my elbow/upper arm whenever I work the grill. Sneeze at least like, every other order.

Never into my hands, though. Elbow/shoulder sneeze is a pretty easy habit to get into. I do it now whenever I sneeze anywhere, not just at work.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Also, how has he not learned to sneeze into his elbow? That's like something I learned when I was 9...

OP
OP

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the very few threads here where OP actually has a point
oi2cnBS.gif

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You were totally awesome lol. Idk what I'd do in that situation - I'd probably start a scene and call that manager a liar.

Sucks that you can't find better food tho, I wouldn't come back. If it's a small place they'll remember you. I'm pretty cynical about restaurants in general, ironically I have the impression that independent places are wayyy dirtier than franchises or corporate restaurants, which is sad cause I'd rather support small business.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
That is revolting. In the kitchen I would squat, lean my head as far forward as possible and put my hands behind my back.

I don't even know what to say about sneezing into your hand and not washing. That would be grounds for firing.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Never go back.

I was traveling Europe with my GF a few years ago. After a night on the town we decided we really wanted a Kebab. Walked into the place and noticed the kebab meat wasn't on the rotary display. We asked if we could get a kebab and the guys says sure no problem. He disappears into the kitchen. 2 mins later he's rolling the meat across the floor.

I didn't say anything. I just left. F That.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I don't work in food prep, but people at work sneeze into their hands without washing them and it's the fucking worst. Just sneeze into your elbow, I don't get why this is so hard.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
ive seen people empty garbage's or wipe down tables and go right back to handling food without cleaning their hands. at this point I figure there's a 30% chance your food was made or handled by dirty hands.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd leave a review.

Their food may be delicious but disregard for hygiene to that degree is unacceptable and prospective customers should be made aware.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
You're not blowing it out of the water, it's a matter of hygiene when handling food. A staff member lost her job because of her attitude towards washing hands in food preparation areas, she had just come back in from a smoke break and stroking a dog outside whilst talking to a friend. And she went straight back to serving pasties and baked goods, so someone reported her to the manager and they were promptly sacked (it wasn't a first occurance, she often didn't care about hygiene)

Oct 27, 2017
You are in the right OP. However, this type of thing probably happens all the time in the kitchen at many restaraunts unseen by customers and you are none the wiser.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gross.

That being said, he's probably been doing that the four months you've been there, and it hasn't been an issue. I'd probably keep going there, but I'm me and you're you.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Without even reading your post, I can say with utmost certainty that you are not blowing anything out of proportion. Sneezing + Food Prep - Hand Washing = Fucking disgusting and I'm never coming back.

Oct 29, 2017
Denying it is just scummy, especially when you clearly saw him doing it. He should've at least owned up to it.

And that's just what you've seen. Without a doubt there's other shit that's happened that you simply haven't seen. Then again, given all of that you haven't gotten sick so not sure if that's that big a deal, but as soon as there's anything to spread to you (flu outbreak or what have you), your risk of getting something from there increases tenfold.

I say stick to your guns. I'm sure you can find another place in town that actually deserves a daily customer.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but employees properly handling food is part of what they inspect to give an A rating. If the manager is enabling this sort of behavior, what other food safety codes are they violating. You could call the bureau that handles those inspections and launch a complaint.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have to be an idiot to outright sneeze into your hands, especially when handling food. Sneeze into your elbows, Christ.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of restaurant workers that ignore health guidelines would astound you. Personally, out of sight out of mind for me, I've never gotten sick and I don't really expect to get sick , but if you see it happen I don't blame you for getting mad/upset.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that is a health code violation (at least in the US), so no, you're not blowing it out of proportion.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
Never go back.

I was traveling Europe with my GF a few years ago. After a night on the town we decided we really wanted a Kebab. Walked into the place and noticed the kebab meat wasn't on the rotary display. We asked if we could get a kebab and the guys says sure no problem. He disappears into the kitchen. 2 mins later he's rolling the meat across the floor.

Disgusting why on earth would be do that with you standing there

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Not at all. Sneezing is a reflex intended to expel potentially bad shit from the body.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never go back.

I don't understand. Rolling the meat across the floor? Like literally?