Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's just because I've listened to other more "underground" (as much as I hate to admit it) Industrial groups, but ever since I got The Downward Spiral years ago....it's just....not a very good album, in my opinion. Pretty Hate Machine is kind of catchy, but the angst is unbearable. The rest of his material is also mostly just meh Industrial-lite to me, nothing all that special.

Educate me, Era. Otherwise I'll just stick to my Godflesh, Front 242, Swans, Skinny Puppy, and Laibach albums.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nine Inch Nails isn't my thing either. I like a song or two but I have a hard time sitting through a whole album.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
You aren't the only one. I had to deal with people shitting on me for listening to NIN for years. Ironically IIRC most of them loved Manson.

I don't think Trent ever intentionally set out to make Industrial music. He just got put in that category. I don't consider it the same thing really and I think looking at NIN's music from that frame of reference isn't a very good way to gague it.

I fucking love The Fragile and I don't think anything will change that - even when his lyrics got too melodramatic for me as I've aged he released that great instrumental version of the album that I can listen to instead.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
yeeaaaahhhh....I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that I don't like them, BUT, my tastes have changed a bit over the years. Some of the bands that I listened to when I was younger, I still listen to. Some, I do not.

...Nine Inch Nails is one that I do not really listen to anymore, and I used to listen to them a lot. I can't remember the last time I played an album, and I have none of their songs on my custom playlists.

Edit: heh, later posts in this thread remind me that I also haven't listened to Tool in years, and don't have the desire to either.

Last edited:

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Fragile is the best NIN album, which was post-TDS, and Trent has grown as an artist tremendously since his early days. His best work has been his recent scores with Atticus Ross imo.

Early industrial is full of cheese (as I'm sure you know) and Pretty Hate Machine is pretty peak in that regard, but it sounds really great. But I don't think many consider that era to be the best by any means.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
NIN never really struck me as actually trying to make legit industrial music. There's some light influence there but if that's how you're approaching it then it's no wonder you don't like it.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty Hate Machine is Trent's best all around album. After that his work is spotty and even the good songs are kinda samey.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Any time someone asks the question "am I the only one..." the answer is "no".

Except now. Yes you are.

Nah, I've met lots who don't like Trent Reznor. It's just not for everyone

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
NIN never really struck me as actually trying to make legit industrial music. There's some light influence there but if that's how you're approaching it then it's no wonder you don't like it.

I can think of many borderline bands that I like that take influences from far more extreme, a little less approachable forms, but also blend many other genres. You make a good point, but even that....not really a big fan.

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm not a big fan of anything pre-Fragile. But I love everything post-Fragile. I feel like Trents moved on from his industrial-lite roots.

Oct 27, 2017
i like the new "bad witch" album

but really anything beyond "pretty hate machine" and "downward spiral" is hugely over-rated simply because it's attached to the name TRENT REZNOR (but at the same time, MANY of his projects have gone completely unnoticed by fans and major publicists, because they're very lowkey on production and advertising/promotion)

growing up i always had a good 3-5 NIN songs that i'd listen to all the time, but i could never listen to the full albums in their entirety. very much a mixed bag, with the hit singles being, well, the best parts.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
NIN is hit or miss. Trent can be brilliant one second and pretty much trash the next, imo. He has some super underrated nuggets that he doesn't get much credit for, though. For example Year Zero was an excellent album and nobody seems to remember it.

Also, sometimes Trent hangs too much on some progressions which makes a lot of his stuff sound similar.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Broken and The Fragile are the best.

NIN puts on a great live show. One of the best I've ever seen and I've been to like 150 rock concerts.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone can like something, we all have our personal tastes and opinions.

I could make a thread about me being the only one that doesn't like Kanye or some other current big name.

Don't force yourself to like something.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would say that it's fine not to like one thing or another, but it's kind of silly to dismiss all of his output (under NIN, HTDA, Trent Reznor) because it's so varied over the years. I think anybody could find something they like in there. I'm all for artists iterating (aside from Korn, who need to go back to their first few albums) but most people get stuck in one "era" and want it to stay that way. You can listen to TDS and Add Violence and have no idea they're the same band.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
For example Year Zero was an excellent album and nobody seems to remember it.
I remember it! Some of those beats and textures are my favs from Trent. Was part of that ARG dissecting spectrographs and shit, too. Still have (and wear) the dog tags from when a bunch of us on echoingthesound and the official NIN forums were listed on one of the web pages he put up and given case numbers and shit.

NIN puts on a great live show. One of the best I've ever seen and I've been to like 150 rock concerts.
Also this. I saw them multiple times and the atmosphere at a NIN show is hard to match.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Once I said I didn't really like Tool and people thought I was some sort of idiot with no refined tastes or whatever, was the moment I decided not to ever speak about music with people again.

Same thing with Nine Inch Nails.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Once I said I didn't really like Tool and people thought I was some sort of idiot with no refined tastes or whatever, was the moment I decided not to ever speak about music with people again.

Same thing with Nine Inch Nails.

Tool sucks.

Oct 26, 2017
Of course someone else will not like them. Lots in fact.

That said The Fragile is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lyrically it's pretty bad -- just mopey, rage-y music for angsty kids and the "I'm 14 and this is deep" crowd.

There's something to appreciate in the music and instrumentals though.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I will also say it's hella depressing that Trent Reznor has one of those fan bases where some people legit wish he was back on drugs trying to kill himself. I'm not big on his newer work but let the man be happy ffs

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
The angsty "only the pain makes me feel alive, man" aesthetic doesn't always work for me, but Reznor is 100% a very talented composer and producer. There's a reason he keeps getting movie work and his soundtracks are great. And he's no theory/composition slouch either, there's a lot of unusual/twisted/inventive chord progressions and things in the later albums. So I think he's really impressive as an artist and musician but I don't really go out of my way to listen to NIN typically.

EDIT: He's also one of a kind, hard to argue that he's not in his own lane.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. You are the only one. And, no, you aren't starving for attention.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I think NIN is labeled industrial because people like to label things. I dont think it comes off particularly industrial compared to Front 242 and such. PHM, Broken and TDS (edit: and The Social Network soundtrack) are all time classics imo though.

Tool is definitely one band I never "got"

Last edited:

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
His music as a whole or his lyrics? A lot of people can't get into the angst of his lyrics, which is understandable. If that's the case he's got some instrumental work and produced other artist's albums as well and might be worth checking out.

Last edited:

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
I love all those Industrial bands you mentioned, and then some! Cabaret Voltaire, Converter, Dive, Einstürzende Neubauten, Coil, Haus Arafna; the list could go on and on. That doesn't stop me from loving Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor's production and attention to detail is unparalleled. He spends so much effort on getting an exact sound and vibe from his army of keyboards, programs and instruments. Plus he writes absolutely killer hooks. Holding the fact his stuff isn't as underground as Skinny Puppy against him is kind of pointless--it's akin to saying Dissecting Table is a shitty pop band. Trent Reznor considers his music pop. He's a big Gary Numan and Prince fan, after all. He just happens to use the harder edged Industrial sounds as his canvas.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't like them, but I don't not like them. Not really into the industrial genre all that much anyway.
Reznor has written some really good songs, I just don't get into it that much. Maybe it'll click one day and I'll be a super fan then.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I loved all of NINs output up until post Fragile. I've never been able to enjoy the newer albums. Something about the style changed in a way I couldn't appreciate unfortunately.

Also, Tools first three albums are amazing and I can't understand anyone not liking those.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
The Fragile is GOAT. I love a lot of NIN but I can respect folks who aren't into it. NIN is hardly a band to be a music snob about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
No, of course not. Nine Inch Nails aren't your typical band, and it's not like they're anywhere close to the most popular out there. I mean, some people don't even like heavier music, or rock music to begin with (not that NIN aren't industrial).

They're one of my favourite bands, though. Trent is one of my favourite musicians.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I've never been a fan either. Always seemed like a ton of people were into them but I never saw the appeal personally.