• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
15312954609602buiv.jpg

1531295496400seuj1.jpg

One More Day erased?

Thoughts?
5562371004bd6136b474f2173afc45c35ab3614a_00.gif

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
10 years ago, Joe Quesada, the then EIC at Marvel mandated that Spider-Man had to be unmarried again to better relate with readers. So he had Spider-Man sell his marriage and the soul of his unborn daughter to a Devil being in a convoluted attempt at saving his Aunt May from a gunshot wound. This erased decades worth of history where Peter and Mary Jane were married.

This new issue has them dating again since that insanely stupid story.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
What made OMD worse was how right before it, they released a beautiful story where MJ puts herself on the line to defend Peter as her husband, cause of how strong their love was and her support of Spiderman. They immediately follow it up with "lol lets get magic divorce"

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Marvel and dc restart their numbering all of the time whenever there is a new writer and artist team or after a big event comic to gain new readers

Fair enough. I wasn't reading comics that much before I graduate college the first time but the first arc I paid close attention to was Superior Spider-Man. Because Ock is my favorite Spider-Man villain. And before superior, Amazing Spider-Man ran for 700 issues so I kinda just assumed we would have a long story arc like that again.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm amazed by how many people seemingly haven't read Invincible.

The Art isn't bad at all, it's just that the colouring style is way too flat to actually accentuate the art itself.

At first I was like "Fuck yes, after a decade I can go back to Spidey", but then I realized... Nick Spencer. I guess I'm still staying away.

N7_Angel

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2018
10 years ago, Joe Quesada, the then EIC at Marvel mandated that Spider-Man had to be unmarried again to better relate with readers. So he had Spider-Man sell his marriage and the soul of his unborn daughter to a Devil being in a convoluted attempt at saving his Aunt May from a gunshot wound. This erased decades worth of history where Peter and Mary Jane were married.

This new issue has them dating again since that insanely stupid story.

The writing is so terrible in comics lol, what is that ?!

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are these comics on endless repeat or what?

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful...we finally see a resolution to OMD's nonsense

But what is with MJ's face on the last panel?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The coloring ruins the art, Invincible is by the same penciler and looks way better

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It's about time Marvel's editors saw the light on this.

OP
OP
BWoog

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
It's about time Marvel's editors saw the light on this.

The only person who could compare is Gwen Stacy and FUCK bringing her back, they've already done enough damage to her with Sins Past.

Time to just accept MJ once and for all. We don't need anymore Carlie Coopers.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Getting them back together doesn't really fix the stupidity of OMD.

DC have shown there's good business in giant reality spanning events undoing some of your stupider editorial retcons.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Getting them back together doesn't really fix the stupidity of OMD.

DC have shown there's good business in giant reality spanning events undoing some of your stupider editorial retcons.
They should have used Secret Wars as the excuse to undo this, but I guess they hadn't yet seen the light.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The issue also has several references to OMD/Mephisto/hell and Peter mentions that he feels something is missing while the panel focuses on MJ's hand so the ride isn't over yet.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I expected, once Slott was gone, that we'd see a writer play up their romance again. Didn't expect it to happen one issue after Slott left. While I don't know what Spencer has planned for Peter/MJ, I do think we'll see break-ups and reconciliations between them from now until Marvel no longer exists because on-again/off-again is the name of the game with super hero romances. (But for now I am happy.)

Also, MJ really looks like Atom Eve. I know it's to be expected with Ottley on art.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed by how many people seemingly haven't read Invincible.

The Art isn't bad at all, it's just that the colouring style is way too flat to actually accentuate the art itself.

At first I was like "Fuck yes, after a decade I can go back to Spidey", but then I realized... Nick Spencer. I guess I'm still staying away.

Indeed. I don't have any issues with the art here. Still, I can accept that style won't work for everyone.

I am frankly indifferent to the writer. If people tell me he has a good couple of Spidey arcs, I might check those out in retrospect.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. I wasn't reading comics that much before I graduate college the first time but the first arc I paid close attention to was Superior Spider-Man. Because Ock is my favorite Spider-Man villain. And before superior, Amazing Spider-Man ran for 700 issues so I kinda just assumed we would have a long story arc like that again.

Well, just to confuse you more, yes Amazing Spider-Man ended at #1 when the Ock storyline took over (Dec 2012), then started at #1 again afterwards (April 2014), but THEN, after getting up to issue #18 in August 2015, it reset to #1 yet again. Then THAT numbering system got up to #32 last September, at which point they decided to go back to the original numbering, counting the previous five years as whatever number they would have been! So the September 2017 issue was #32, but the following issue for Oct 2017 was #789. No kidding. THEN, last month's issue was #801, Dan Slott's final issue. And today's issue is...

444801_20180711120901_large.jpg

Issue 1, LGY 802

So both numbering systems are now on the cover, (LGY="legacy").

Last edited:

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good point. They did let Slott tease the two getting back together, and even date, for a few times during the early parts of his run.

and if you heard the behind the scenes lobbying that slott had to do to make renew your vows a thing

it'd be nice if this stuck, I'm not holding my breath given everything we know

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

MJ and Peter were married for a long time.

The editors at Marvel thought somehow this made Peter unrelatable, and then had him make a deal with the devil to save Aunt May's life. The devil (Mephisto) wanted something important to Peter, and decided he wanted to take his marriage away. Peter and MJ agreed, and boom, they weren't married anymore.

People were (rightfully) upset. Marvel didn't care. And it seems now they are brining Peter and MJ back together.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Never really understood why they bailed on the wedding so that he could be more relatable to readers, then years later made Spider-man super popular (in universe) and put together, leading a company and everything. Like you wanted to make him more relatable but then you have years where the major story arc reverses everything about who he originally was. Maybe just admit you got rid of the marriage so that the character doesn't have kids and age?

What really upset me at the time was that didn't they already have a back-to-basics teenaged spider-man in the Ultimate Universe?

I'll agree with most that with the way the big 2 have treated relationships recently, I don't hold out hope that anything of consequence will come of this.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Well, just to confuse you more, yes Amazing Spider-Man ended at #1 when the Ock storyline took over (Dec 2012), then started at #1 again afterwards (April 2014), but THEN, after getting up to issue #18 in August 2015, it reset to #1 yet again. Then THAT numbering system got up to #32 last September, at which point they decided to go back to the original numbering, counting the previous five years as whatever number they wold have been! So the September 2017 issue was #32, but the following issue for Oct 2017 was #789. No kidding. THEN, last month's issue was #801, Dan Slott's final issue. And today's issue is...

444801_20180711120901_large.jpg

Issue 1, LGY 802

So both numbering systems are now on the cover, (LGY="legacy").

.... What in the collective fuck?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan, often the marriage just becomes background noise or leverage for a villain.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Watch this be part of an Illusion within the Illusion. Maybe Spencer is a Rick and Morty fan.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Spencer is only one issue in and it's better than anything Slott has written since the last issue of Superior