Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I was under the impression Nintendo does well in the UK, just not as well as they do everywhere else? That sounds like a far cry from "not a thing in the UK"...
it's an anecdote obviously but aside from 3d/2d mario and mario kart, i've legit never seen anyone even speak about nintendo games or any sort of marketing (bus ads, train ads, billboards, posters etc). i think when mario kart 8 deluxe was coming out there were a few posters here and there but it was pretty scarce at the end of the day.

from this past month alone, i've seen multiple fallout 76, rdr2, black ops 4 and spider-man ads round where i live.

that's not to say that ninty games don't do well in the uk (got no clue honestly - curious how well botw did) but they don't really have a presence here. everyone i know owns a ps4 not a switch, even back in the wii u days no one really owned it here, whereas it seemed like for a while the USA and Japan was keeping it alive. nintendo haven't really captured the uk market like they did with the wii, that shit was HUGE (but then again it was everywhere else).

even the sainsburys and tescos (large chain supermarkets) near my house (i live in london) don't even stock nintendo games. they stock the physical pc version of farming simulator 17 but no switch games. also bare in mind they had midnight launches for rdr2 and black ops 4. really tells you all you need to know about nintendo in general in the uk. it's an enthusiast thing more than anything.

germany and france are way better markets for nintendo europe. uk is sony land.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Not really when you look at the best selling games of the year so far.

Year To Date
  1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Marvel's Spider-Man
  4. Monster Hunter: World
  5. NBA 2K19
  6. Madden NFL 19^
  7. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. Call of Duty: WWII^
  9. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  10. Mario Kart 8*
Listing by individual vs combined SKU, no digital for some publishers (Nintendo, Bethesda, Sega, etc).

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
Let's Go Pikachu
Let's Go Eevee
Let's Go Pikachu w/ Pokeball Plus
Let's Go Eevee w/ Pokeball Plus
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu Nintendo Switch bundle
Pokemon Let's Go Eevee Nintendo Switch bundle
Yeah, I see, but I don't agree it's hurting the games performance. All it could be hurting is the game's placement on a not very relevant sales chart. Let's Go may not be in Amazon's top 10, but it will do fine anyway. If anything, the multiple SKUs will help it in bringing more dollars per purchase, and also pushing consoles with the bundle!

jeromeSF

Nov 2, 2017
Do you have a link to single SKU NPD charts for the year?

Typically NPD data combines Xbox/PS releases on software which gives it a different ranking when compared to single sku entries.

I guess that explains why Far Cry 5, which is #1 in the NPD rankings, is only #47 and #74 on Amazon

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I see, but I don't agree it's hurting the games performance. All it could be hurting is the game's placement on a not very relevant sales chart. Let's Go may not be in Amazon's top 10, but it will do fine anyway. If anything, the multiple SKUs will help it in bringing more dollars per purchase, and also pushing consoles with the bundle!
I didn't mean it is hurting the game's performance, I meant it is hurting its placement, yes

it's an anecdote obviously but aside from 3d/2d mario and mario kart, i've legit never seen anyone even speak about nintendo games or any sort of marketing (bus ads, train ads, billboards, posters etc). i think when mario kart 8 deluxe was coming out there were a few posters here and there but it was pretty scarce at the end of the day.

from this past month alone, i've seen multiple fallout 76, rdr2, black ops 4 and spider-man ads round where i live.

that's not to say that ninty games don't do well in the uk (got no clue honestly - curious how well botw did) but they don't really have a presence here. everyone i know owns a ps4 not a switch, even back in the wii u days no one really owned it here, whereas it seemed like for a while the USA and Japan was keeping it alive. nintendo haven't really captured the uk market like they did with the wii, that shit was HUGE (but then again it was everywhere else).

even the sainsburys and tescos (large chain supermarkets) near my house (i live in london) don't even stock nintendo games. they stock the physical pc version of farming simulator 17 but no switch games. also bare in mind they had midnight launches for rdr2 and black ops 4. really tells you all you need to know about nintendo in general in the uk. it's an enthusiast thing more than anything.

germany and france are way better markets for nintendo europe. uk is sony land.
Yeah, I definitely do know Nintendo is the weakest of the big three in the UK, I am just curious as to what that entails in absolute terms haha. Thanks for the really detailed answer!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It really sucks that Nintendo won't give NPD digital sales numbers. I bet they're pretty significant now, the entire nature of the Switch encourages digital purchases. I've moved toward it because I like to have all my games available at once conveniently.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that explains why Far Cry 5, which is #1 in the NPD rankings, is only #47 and #74 on Amazon
Weird I wonder what type of person would buy bother purchasing Far Cry 5 for PC on Amazon...

It's almost like some games perform better at some retailer than others...

And then shit gets all fucked up when you combine 3 skus and compare them to a single sku...

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously CoD just isn't an Amazon purchase, it's probably more targeted to the Walmart/Gamestop side of things....
It's not just cod tho. What about FC5? Sport games? MH? There's no way these sold less on PS4 than DK, or Zelda selling more this year than Spider-Man or GoW.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really sucks that Nintendo won't give NPD digital sales numbers. I bet they're pretty significant now, the entire nature of the Switch encourages digital purchases. I've moved toward it because I like to have all my games available at once conveniently.
while they may not give them to npd, they include them with their quarterly updates on game sales, which is actually the most up to date, reliable worldwide sales numbers we get from any publisher.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
while they may not give them to npd, they include them with their quarterly updates on game sales, which is actually the most up to date, reliable worldwide sales numbers we get from any publisher.
Definitely, I just wish we had them for comparisons sake to other games on the monthly charts

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just cod tho. What about FC5? Sport games? MH? There's no way these sold less on PS4 than DK, or Zelda selling more this year than Spider-Man or GoW.

Why does games selling more at certain retailers surprise you?

Have you seen the stacks and stacks of stacks of Madden available at Best Buy at release? Have you seen the Walmart/Target/Other discount big box displays for CoD.

Big Box retailer sales of certain titles makes GameStop look like a mom and pop shop by comparison.

Either way -without a SKU Breakdown it's harder to compare things directly.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I didn't mean it is hurting the game's performance, I meant it is hurting its placement, yes

Yeah, I definitely do know Nintendo is the weakest of the big three in the UK, I am just curious as to what that entails in absolute terms haha. Thanks for the really detailed answer!
no problem! i remember wanting to get super mario odyssey at launch but my local tesco didn't even have it (buying physical games from large chain supermarkets is a big thing here in the uk) so i just decided to go digital. i'd like to buy more physical switch games but i'm not too hot on buying them from amazon, would prefer to pop into a shop and get them.

i8pQE8N.png

^ i see pictures of gamestop and what not in america stocking these physical indie games and i'm like "wow what the fuck i'm jealous why don't we get that". if you went into our equivalent of gamestop (it's called game) all you'd see in the nintendo section are nintendo published games and AAA stuff like FIFA and NBA. in general the nintendo sections in these dedicated game shops are fucking tiny compared to the ps4 and xbox one sections. like you'd be super lucky to even find something like the physical version of disgaea 5 complete in most game shops in the UK.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Why does games selling more at certain retailers surprise you?

Have you seen the stacks and stacks of stacks of Madden available at best Buy at release have you seen the Walmart/Target/Other discount big box displays for CoD.

Without a SKU Breakdown it's harder to compare things directly.
If these many games are skewed towards other retailers then this list is meaningless.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If these many games are skewed towards other retailers then this list is meaningless.

The list tells you exactly how shit is selling at Amazon, nothing more nothing less.

Just because you can't extrapolate on shit doesn't make the Data worthless. You sure as fuck shouldn't extrapolate any of the sales data from any individual region of Europe or Japan either.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
To me Amazon rankings are useful in comparing Nintendo software to other Nintendo software, but otherwise not so much.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I acknowledge the fact that it was skewing toward Nintendo. However, don't forget that your list is combining SKUs + counting digital (while excluding digital sales for Nintendo games) which Amazon does not.
Amazon sells digital codes. I bought Smash on Amazon because I could get it digital plus $10 off.

Anecdotally there are more reasons for me to buy from Amazon due to discounts, and Nintendo physical games hold value the best (not due to game quality, mind, but due to Nintendo limiting stock artificially and overcharging for tons of their cheap games) so they're good for a trade in.

In other words, Nintendo ranking high here is pretty meaningless.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The list tells you exactly how shit is selling at Amazon, nothing more nothing less.

Just because you can't extrapolate on shit doesn't make the Data worthless. You sure as fuck shouldn't extrapolate any of the sales data from any individual region of Europe or Japan either.
Was it really not clear enough I was talking about it being meaningless in the context to general sales numbers in the US? And the last part makes no sense unless entire countries got into dispute with many of the big games this year and decided not to sell them?

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Hopefully looking at this list will finally stop people using Amazon rankings to comment on how well a game is selling.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was it really not clear enough I was talking about it being meaningless in the context to general sales numbers in the US? And the last part makes no sense unless entire countries got into dispute with many of the big games this year and decided not to sell them?

Amazon makes up a certain percentage of games sales in the US and here are their SKU rankings for 2018 YTD.

How is that not context?

General Sales numbers in the US or World shouldn't be extrapolated from smaller data sets anyway that's Chartz level shit.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people still buying games from Amazon when their shipping service has gotten sloppy, their courier is terrible, and they don't even offer a price advantage to the competition anymore?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon makes up a certain percentage of games sales in the US and here are their SKU rankings for 2018 YTD.

How is that not context?
Except the list is so skewed by the fact they didn't sell many of the biggest games of the year for months making it worthless if you're trying to guess the top 10 games of the year in the US. If you all care about is what games sold better on Amazon then good for you, but I wasn't talking about that.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense it's mostly Nintendo due to less digital purchases on average. Smash being above Odyssey despite not even having released is pretty crazy though, I could see this being one of Nintendo's biggest launches ever.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Individual vs combined SKU does not change how off these Amazon rankings are: GOW and Spiderman are both PS4 exclusives, 2 and 3 in ND rankings yet behind Mario Party in Amazon.

Iirc Spiderman opened at near 3 million, GOW at 2 million+ and Mario Party was not close to either.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Individual vs combined SKU does not change how off these Amazon rankings are: GOW and Spiderman are both PS4 exclusives, 2 and 3 in ND rankings yet behind Mario Party in Amazon.

Iirc Spiderman opened at near 3 million, GOW at 2 million+ and Mario Party was not close to either.

How the fuck are they off?

They're literally just rankings of shit that Amazon has sold.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I think si. It will sell better than Spiderman. Mark my words...
1474899619680.gif

Spider man sales are pushing 5 million after a month. It's going to hit 10

Smash 4 combined sales was 13 million on a combined install base of around 85 million, which included people who double dipped. Roughly 15% attach rate

Switch has about 22 million units sold. Even if Switch sells another 20 million units, and attach rate goes up to 20%, thats still only 8.4 million units. If Smash beats Spider Man PS4 it will only be because both the game and the Switch itself have really really really strong legs and it will happen 5 years down the road when they're selling Spider Man 3 on PS5. It's not happening this fiscal year.

javac

Oct 28, 2017

I see a lot of Nintendo ads around my end these days, there's a Pokémon Let's Go billboard right next to my house and weirdly I see like 10 consecutive bus shelter ads for Diablo Switch on my commute to work.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So OP is asking us what the top 5 best selling games of the year in the US will be by providing us a list from Amazon...

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I see a lot of Nintendo ads around my end these days, there's a Pokémon Let's Go billboard right next to my house and weirdly I see like 10 consecutive bus shelter ads for Diablo Switch on my commute to work.
really? where do you live? i live in camden and there's fuck all unfortunately.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Off from total market figures.
why would amazon's best selling list have an obligation to represent total market figures? it tells you what sells best on amazon. nothing more, nothing less.

Amazon software rankings are meaningless, and they're generally heavily weighted towards Nintendo titles for whatever reason.
they're meaningless how? they tell you what they're supposed to tell you.
damn, some people are getting salty over this. it's crazy.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
really? where do you live? i live in camden and there's fuck all unfortunately.
Leeds, there's been a lot of Nintendo advertising ever since the switch released, especially bus shelter ads. Buses themselves are all dominated by RDR2 ads but I've seen more Diablo Switch ads than anything else weirdly, a few Fallout ones here and there.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon sells digital codes. I bought Smash on Amazon because I could get it digital plus $10 off.

Anecdotally there are more reasons for me to buy from Amazon due to discounts, and Nintendo physical games hold value the best (not due to game quality, mind, but due to Nintendo limiting stock artificially and overcharging for tons of their cheap games) so they're good for a trade in.

In other words, Nintendo ranking high here is pretty meaningless.

Yes and it would be tracked as a separate SKU on Amazon (therefore with a different ranking) while it is combined in the NPD thread. You are completely missing the point.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
why would amazon's best selling list have an obligation to represent total market figures? it tells you what sells best on amazon. nothing more, nothing less.

they're meaningless how? they tell you what they're supposed to tell you.
damn, some people are getting salty over this. it's crazy.

Meaningless in that they aren't a good representation of the market.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
which of his questions implies amazon's list is supposed to be a representative of the entire market?
people are saying the list is off, or that the info it provides is worthless, those statements don't make any sense.

If we establish Amazon is a poor predictor of reality (90-100% market) what is the point in guessing Amazon rankings?

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
which of his questions implies amazon's list is supposed to be a representative of the entire market?
people are saying the list is off, or that the info it provides is worthless, those statements don't make any sense.

OP posts Amazon's list then proceeds to ask what our top 5 prediction will be. So you saying OP is asking us what our top 5 predictions will be on Amazon instead of overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.