• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
https://jalopnik.com/report-amazon-will-not-renew-the-grand-tour-after-seas-1823681326

Though season two of The Grand Tour just ended, and season three has yet to begin production, Amazon has allegedly decided that the car-shenanigan trio of Clarkson, Hammond, and May will not return for a fourth season. According to The Daily Mail's sources, the show's leading men will all be looking for work in the near future.

After hosting 22 seasons of The BBC's Top Gear, Clarkson was unceremoniously stripped of the position after a punch up on the job. Amazon stepped in and offered the three a new show on their Prime video service, signing a three-year multi-million dollar deal.

The first season of Grand Tour had good moments and bad, punctuated by largely annoying Celebrity Brain Crash and The American test driver bits. And who remembers the correlating DriveTribe social media experiment? By and large, however, the show did what it set out to do. After both of those segments were dropped for season two, the show was certainly an improvement, though was still clearly quite scripted.

With Amazon closing the pocketbook, i was wondering if this was going to continue

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched about three episodes in total, never went back. Don't watch Top Gear either now after watching a few episodes. They just aren't very good, the scripted nature is well past it's sell by date and I either think they are even more so a bunch of arseholes now or just plain don't like them.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix be smirking. Honestly, their time has passed. GT just seemed to be a recycle of the old show with less charm and wit. They had some moments but nothing compared to the epic trips they did in Vietnam, Amazon, etc.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wonder if that's why Clarkson is hosting the brief comeback special of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire instead of Chris Tarrant, maybe they want to see if it works out with the view of rebooting it fully next year. If there's no more Grand Tour then he'd be free for it. All rumours of course, and from the Daily Mail too.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just cos it makes me laugh:

aNZwoWA_460s.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Well all three of them don't particularly like working with each other so it's not that far off maybe they're all at their limit and can do one more season.

Edit: oh wait just read the tweets and could be full of crap, nevermind then

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that this news came out before I got to make a PSA thread about The Grand Tour's (and the Top Gear revival) dramatic 180 turn in quality during the 2nd season.

EDIT: Oh, Daily Mail, carry on then.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
It's definitely not true, but I have to say that The Grand Tour is a bit shite, even as a big fan of Top Gear, though that was getting worse towards the end anywho.

New Top Gear is getting better and better, mostly thanks to Chris harris.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
hopefully not true, I want more and more.

I have issues with the show, but it has still been entertaining as fuck on the whole.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I thought season 2 was a massive improvement and I hope for more seasons. You just can't beat the chemistry of the three stooges.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
This thread was an emotional roller coaster.

Of course a reasonable person would say that the only way those three are ever going to not have a car show is if they simply don't want to do it anymore.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hope this isn't true. While the first season wasn't great, Season 2 was outstanding and just as good (if not better) than peak Top Gear.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Interesting, didn't watch it beyond the first season since it felt more like a parody of top gear than anything. Would have thought it would be popular enough to last more than three seasons though.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt hear anyone who watched the second series. Difficulty on these platforms - no channel to self advertise on.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Real or not I learned that they got rid of the two segments that really harmed the show for me, so i guess I will give the second season a watch.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Man outside of the forced Celeb bits the show has a few good moments.

I enjoyed Season 2.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, didn't watch it beyond the first season since it felt more like a parody of top gear than anything. Would have thought it would be popular enough to last more than three seasons though.

Didnt hear anyone who watched the second series. Difficulty on these platforms - no channel to self advertise on.

Real or not I learned that they got rid of the two segments that really harmed the show for me, so i guess I will give the second season a watch.

Season 2 is outstanding. They fixed everything people complained about in Season 1. I would say 10 of the 11 episodes were top-tier with one mediocre episode.

Also, Amazon REALLY advertised Season 2. I saw commercials for it everywhere. I just don't see them cancelling it after the kind of marketing they've committed.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Shame. Second series was actually good. Not peak Top Gear good, but still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.