• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Platforms: Steam, Switch, 3DS (There is also a lesser mobile version with quite a few drawbacks, see page 3 of this thread)

So, here is the thing. This game is crazy good and hard as nails and really needs a thread. In case you remember my other recommendation threads of SpaceChem, FullBore etcetc., add this one to the pile of games you absolutely need to check out:
GLT8JAX.jpg

Steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/568910/Ambition_of_the_Slimes/

While stumbling through Era, however, I found an incredibly lovely post by another member with so much spirit and energy that basically already perfectly encapsulates why this game is as good as it is, so let me just quote him and turn over the spotlight to Epilexia while I add some closing comments at the end:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the finest tactical turn-based RPGs released in the last decade. Don't let the 5 dollars price tag fool you. We are talking about a game that if you are a completionist person, can take more than 200 hours to complete. With a number of maps and missions which is on par with a main entry in the 'Fire Emblem' series.

'Ambition of the Slimes' is one of the greatest love letters to the Japanese tradition of Strategic RPGs. And the dreamed game of Masaya Takahashi, who envisioned for years this genre-defining take while he was hired at Marvelous Inc., working with ex-Neverland staff designing maps for 'Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven' in the 3DS.

He finally decided to follow the independent path to achieve his envision. In 'Ambition of the Slimes', he is credited as the designer and programmer. With only other member in the team, Koji Matsushita who worked as the art director, while they outsourced the soundtrack to an external studio.

f7WDdVv.jpg

'Ambition of the Slimes' is an absolute masterpiece in its level design, and one of the most joyful experiences I have after an entire life of playing tactical RPGs.

It has a brilliant twist, never seen before in the genre. You control a group of incompetent, weak, slow and ugly slimes. You have zero chances of killing even the weakest enemy unit in the map. But you can possess enemy units. So at the end, all in your strategy is about how you are able to survive in the first turns, evading the attacks of the enemy units, until you can achieve the strongest enemies, then possess then, and then use these units to eradicate the rest of enemies.

tumblr_p31h14MNoa1qzp9weo2_r1_1280.jpg

This idea works thanks to its perfect map design. Every single mission will test your limits and strategy skills. Did you remember the extra missions in 'Mario+Rabbids', in which a lot of the maps were designed as puzzles, and achieving the victory was about being able to conceive a smart strategy to broke almost un-winnable battles? In 'Ambition of the Slimes' every single map and mission has this perfect hand-crafted design, in which every turn is relevant.

And based in this simple but smart idea, the game adds tons of layers to the formula. You have a triangle of weapons like in 'Fire Emblem', but with elements instead of weapons. If you possess an unit with your same element, the stats of the controllable enemy will be increased. So a lot of times, you need to take into account how reach with each of your slime units the strongest enemy unit with your same element affinity. But most important, you need to possess the enemy in a turn in which he is not surrounded by units of the opposite element, because once you possess an enemy, you can't move the unit until the next turn.

You have crazy ideas like to be able to possess a merchant, and then use money to bribe strongest units. You can use units of an opposite sex to try to seduce them. There are a total of 41 enemy units, each one with his own defining gimmicks.

And the same can be said of your slime units. Every slime has a defining ability. Like use his main skill to increase the chances of an enemy unit of being possessed in the next turn. A slime that once he receives a hit, will divide in two slimes. So you will need to create a strategy to first receive a hit, and then be sure of having two enemy units to posses in the surrounded area. With a total of 33 different slimes.

screen480x480.jpeg

If you are a hardcore player who enjoy 'Fire Emblem' in its higher difficulty settings, then you will love the extra challenges. Once you complete a map, for each map there a 5 extra hard bonus missions, each one with a different placement and set of new enemies, pushing your limits.

Only to complete the first campaign area, with three of these extra challenges, it took me 20 hours of time. And I still need to complete the last 2 challenges in this map. And you have +30 main missions in the game.

Not to talk of its story. With a fascinating lore about the motivations of these ugly slimes in their attempt to vanquish the greedy human race who is destroying the natural environment. With tons of humor, surrealism and quirkiness in its dialogues.

People, don't sleep in 'Ambition of the Slimes'. The greatest eshop title that nobody is talking about.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There isn't a whole lot left to add and if you read this far, the text above will have likely already convinced you, but its borderline criminal for this game to only have 7 Steam reviews. To add my 10 cents: I absolutely love turn based strategy games, be that Fire Emblem, Go/Chess, Frozen Synapse, Europa Universalis etc., and this game is so incredibly well tuned and laser focussed on its unique mechanic in every aspect that it manages to shine on its own without even standing in the shadow of Fire Emblem style games.

The way the slime puzzle element works for each level and how the level up/unlock slime mechanic is integrated is so damn fun and rewarding, that every player liking a tactical challenge needs to check this one out.

Also, I probably need this thread to cry after the game kicked my ass again.

Oh and its 5$. Five.

Last edited:

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks OP. Threads like these are why I come to era in the first place. Adding this to my wishlist and will probably pick up right after I'm done with Ys.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely love when people point out hidden gems like this! Thank you for this thread and I may just dig in. SRPGs are the perfect summertime game for me. Brings me back to when I was playing Final Fantasy Tactics on my GBA on the beach...

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Um that sounds really cool and original, but saying that something is so hard it took you 20 hours to beat the first stage and a few extra challenges doesn't sound very enticing. Was it mainly the extra challenges that took that long?

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
How much freedom do you have to tackle a level? Like, would you fail if you bork a turn?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen other people recommend this before but I think this finally swayed me. Does the 3DS version have touch controls? I imagine that'd be the best way to play it if so.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Good SRPG for 5 dollars? Bought. Thanks for the heads up.
I played plenty of "good" SRPGs, but even though it sounds stupidly cheesy, this game really is a step beyond that. Its obviously missing the grandiose story from Fire Emblem and is artistically a bit limited as it is "only" focussing on Slimes, but just based on the quality content of the levels, gameplay and strategic elements, I have a hard time finding reasons not to name it in one breath with the best of the genre from now on, especially seeing how many of those games still stay very close to each other in general mechanics and Ambition of the Slimes finds a way to break that mold and be its entirely own thing and STILL have hundreds of hours of content. Incredibly lovely.

Oh and its hard, which is another aspect I really started missing lately from other games that were too focussed on being overly accessible.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Um that sounds really cool and original, but saying that something is so hard it took you 20 hours to beat the first stage and a few extra challenges doesn't sound very enticing. Was it mainly the extra challenges that took that long?

I quoted a post by another member in that segment, but yes, its hard. Its not quite THAT hard, as he went for the hardest challenges of the first level right away while he could have just continued the story, but even if you stick to the main campaign and dabble into the extra content occasionally, you will still likely get your ass handed to you as you need to learn how to properly use the tools at your disposal.

Thing is though: The game doesnt inherently feel unfair, its really only a matter of getting the slimes you have access to, potentially playing 1-2 levels with them to make sure they have enough health and actually figuring out how to use and combine the 33 different slime abilities with the numerous different enemy designs to find a good solution for each level. From what I played so far, there seems to be quite a few possible combinations that can get you to a goal, but the game still requires an extra step of careful planning that I have not seen that prominent in other SRPGs.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen other people recommend this before but I think this finally swayed me. Does the 3DS version have touch controls? I imagine that'd be the best way to play it if so.

I tried touch controls on switch and normal button controls and I kinda switch between the two just based on whatever I am in the mood for/how I am lying. Both control setups pretty much work the way you'd expect them to and while I like that touch controls have a few less clicks (I dont need to hit up 4 times to move 4 spaces), button controls are more precise and wont lead to misclicks, which sometimes can happen if 2 elements are right behind each other.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ill give it a try since it's just five bucks and the gameplay seems good. Not liking how it looks however.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
I played plenty of "good" SRPGs, but even though it sounds stupidly cheesy, this game really is a step beyond that. Its obviously missing the grandiose story from Fire Emblem and is artistically a bit limited as it is "only" focussing on Slimes, but just based on the quality content of the levels, gameplay and strategic elements, I have a hard time finding reasons not to name it in one breath with the best of the genre from now on, especially seeing how many of those games still stay very close to each other in general mechanics and Ambition of the Slimes finds a way to break that mold and be its entirely own thing and STILL have hundreds of hours of content. Incredibly lovely.

Oh and its hard, which is another aspect I really started missing lately from other games that were too focussed on being overly accessible.
Just got it for $3.50 after using my gold coins,
I'll try to post some impressions later :)

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
How much freedom do you have to tackle a level? Like, would you fail if you bork a turn?

Depends on a few things, first of all if you do the highest level of difficulty, any slight mistake will screw over that run, yeah. The game can already be hard on normal and it has 6 difficulty levels above that.

If you are talking more about the normal-ish difficulty levels, a single mistake wont completely throw you off and it does give you enough space to learn different mechanics along the way while you learn how to play the game. Something that happened to me earlier was that I found a slime that can melt enemy armor, which makes the enemy easier invadable. As such, I went for the biggest enemy that had a positive stone paper scissors element to fight the rest of the enemy units, melted the armor and took him over... only to figure out that his once mighty power is now gone because she is now... naked and standing next to well armored warriors. After my plan to fight the other enemies was defused, I realized that a naked enemy now has the ability to charm opponents ... and so I used my physical attractions to distract the nearest soldier and managed to escape afterwards for long enough so she could get her armor back and swooped the rest of the level.

I love this game.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
I'm interesting in progression and customizing my party? does this game offer that?

Currently replaying FF Tactics, really like the system but not the grind. Teleport Monk Go!

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Ill give it a try since it's just five bucks and the gameplay seems good. Not liking how it looks however.

Not a huge fan either, but whatever. I wish it had a bit more visual variety, but the again... I can play Dwarf Fortress in Ascii if needed, so this feels like a luxury problem and isnt particularly my highest priority when it comes to Indie games especially.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interesting in progression and customizing my party? does this game offer that?

Currently replaying FF Tactics, really like the system but not the grind. Teleport Monk Go!

You dont have equipment on your party as your party consists of slimes, but micromanaging your party setup is a very rewarding aspect as it can create entirely different effects and dynamics for each individual level. Do you take the slime that can increase defense significantly and use a unit as a tank? Or a slime that can melt enemy armor? Or a slime that can teleport? Or should you rather focus on combining the effects of different slimes so that its easier for you to take out 1 specific, highly dangerous enemy? This really makes it feel more like a tactical puzzle focussed on making that one element shine ever so brightly, instead of getting dragged down by crafting, equipment, disgaea style item world grinding etcetc. I love those things in those games too, but I also love the incredibly tight focus in ambition of the slimes, they really nailed that here.

The progression is simpler, but still feels pretty satisfying, as a) your slimes level up, increase in health and improve their skill usage and b) by progressing through the story missions and additional challenge missions you unlock more slimes (every level has a certain % to give you slime x,y or z if you beat it), meaning you can reasonably grind your way to your Slime Allstars Team (though as I said, a major part is that each level might have different requirements, and there arent really any one size fits all slimes... yet, at least where I am atm... and rare slimes will be hard to get anyway).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Also, as its 4AM now, I really need some sleep. Will reply to some more questions tomorrow if you guys have any.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
...did you reused a post?

or like remade/remastered it?

I remember reading very similar praise for this game ....

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I was curious about this game when I saw it on the eShop but was turned off by art. But the twist sounds brilliant and at $5 I'll give it a shot.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
So it's better than Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together? Because I still haven't played that.

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
I remember hearing about this game before. I added it to my wishlist. This seems like a game that will end up in a random bundle eventually.

Ventara

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Bought this for the Vita a while back. Kinda got lost in my backlog. I'll check it out next time I pull out my Vita.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Just bought :)

Only played the tutorial, but I think I'm gonna like it!

I just think the characters are too pixilated

Thanks op!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Also available on ios, android, and Vita.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I love SRPGs but the graphics/art direction in this is awful, it's some sort of pseudo SNES mess, how can you think this is a good idea in 2018?

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Also available on ios, android, and Vita.
I think the mobile versions have been taken down since the release of the full price versions or are they still available somewhere? I couldnt find them at least, but the original versions had quite low scores as they were apparently more grindy with the slime rates to make up for the free price tag and microtransactions. ( There are none in the current versions)

And is it available natively on Vita or was that PSMobile?

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah man I don't know it looks really che-

Depends on a few things, first of all if you do the highest level of difficulty, any slight mistake will screw over that run, yeah. The game can already be hard on normal and it has 6 difficulty levels above that.

If you are talking more about the normal-ish difficulty levels, a single mistake wont completely throw you off and it does give you enough space to learn different mechanics along the way while you learn how to play the game. Something that happened to me earlier was that I found a slime that can melt enemy armor, which makes the enemy easier invadable. As such, I went for the biggest enemy that had a positive stone paper scissors element to fight the rest of the enemy units, melted the armor and took him over... only to figure out that his once mighty power is now gone because she is now... naked and standing next to well armored warriors. After my plan to fight the other enemies was defused, I realized that a naked enemy now has the ability to charm opponents ... and so I used my physical attractions to distract the nearest soldier and managed to escape afterwards for long enough so she could get her armor back and swooped the rest of the level.

I love this game.

bought

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
The blegh aesthetics pushed me away at first, but the OP at least convinced me to scan through a couple YouTube videos, and I'm glad I did -- I learned something tremendously important. It's phase-based!

The 3D-isometric maps it uses are almost always associated with Tactics-style per-unit turns, but this game actually uses Fire Emblem-style phases (all your slimes get to go in whatever order you like, then all the enemies get to go, then repeat). For me, individual turns are an instant turnoff in 99% of cases, and yet they outnumber phase-based strategy games by a huge amount, so for me, it's always worth pointing out when a game uses the superior turn style. I'll probably give the game a try on that merit alone.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017

I love this game.

That sounds great. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Like many here, the aesthetic is offputting for me too, but for 5€, you can't really go wrong.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love these threads.

I just bought the game and it seems interesting so far. I just wish there was a way to increase the cursor speed when playing on a controller. Final Fantasy Tactics has a perfect speed and this is far too slow.

Oh, and I'd like to reverse the buttons that rotate the camera.

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I didn't see this thread because now I have to buy this on the Switch and I think it's going to consume me.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I love these threads.

I just bought the game and it seems interesting so far. I just wish there was a way to increase the cursor speed when playing on a controller. Final Fantasy Tactics has a perfect speed and this is far too slow.

Not sure about cursor speed, but you can double the combat speed, which makes the pacing of the combat feel a lot better.

I highly suggest to try that speed setting.

OP
OP
Toma

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I love these threads.

Oh also in case you are playing on switch, try the touch controls.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about cursor speed, but you can double the combat speed, which makes the pacing of the combat feel a lot better.

I highly suggest to try that speed setting.
Yeah, playing on fast is definitely the way to go. There's nothing to do about the cursor speed except switching to touch controls though.

It's not a big deal since the maps are pretty small.
:D Nothing is better than Tactic Ogre LUCT. Nothing will EVER be better than Tactics Ogre LUCT.
I loved nearly everything about that game until the suicidal friendly AI frustrated me to the point of quitting.