kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Man I already told my boss at my school site that come October I don't want to be near anyone because the damn flu is gonna be around... so how the fuck we gonna go back to the movie theater if we gonna have the flu and COVID going around?!!!

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm over movie theaters tbh. I already got way too much to do and watch. I can wait.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be very sad if this pandemic kills them. They're some of the best theaters in my city

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Sanitation doesn't mean much if you're sitting in a theater with a bunch of other people breathing the same air for a couple of hours. Are they even requiring masks for the whole time?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
AMC is in such a dire situation that I'm not even going to be critical of the floundering and lashing out. Coronavirus ruined them when they had huge loans taken out. They're in some particularly dire straits with their cashflow due to a lot of loan-subsidized renovations and the way they were relying on A-List momentum.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I sympathize with the plight of movie theaters but the execs have not endeared themselves at all with stuff like this

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
AMC is the big chain that could very likely disappear because of this. Others will pull through but AMC's situation was already dire.

And it's not undeserved due to how their business has been run.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is still ongoing and why do consumers got eat the cost here?
Yep, raising prices is the perfect strategy to attract more customers .
He's stupid for suggesting it is a good time to reopen. But when fewer movies are releasing, less people are going to be going, and any cash they had has been drained beyond belief - yes, of course they need to cover their costs when they can reopen. How are they supposed to survive on slimmer audiences if they don't charge more? I'm open to ideas.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
..or that popcorn gets to be more of a luxury snack food.
lol Ok? Considering how outrageously overpriced movie theater popcorn has been for several decades now it's already been a "luxury snack" for a very long time. Are milk duds and sour patch kids going to be priced hiked into the "boutique confection" category?

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
He's stupid for suggesting it is a good time to reopen. But when fewer movies are releasing, less people are going to be going, and any cash they had has been drained beyond belief - yes, of course they need to cover their costs when they can reopen. How are they supposed to survive on slimmer audiences if they don't charge more? I'm open to ideas.
They choosing to open during an on going paramedic despise being told what terrible of idea it is, now they also want to charge people more for opening up soon.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I know AMC gets a lot of hate on resetera and maybe its my 1. love of A-list, one of the best deals ever and 2. working in TV/Movies and my love for the theater experience, but I think the AMC CEO is assuming Tenent is going to open in a month and that will drive people back to the theaters. I really don't think the CEO is stating the virus is gone 100%, but rather they have made it this far and are implementing new safety measures. Whether that gets people back to the theaters...who knows. I just hope movie theaters don't die in general.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Is this the same guy who vowed to never show another Universal movie again after Trolls 2 released digitally?

Kind of seems like the world's biggest bonehead.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
Well if prices are going up than that just makes VOD more appealing.

I see theaters becoming a niche, enthusiast market in the next decade.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well, I feel bad for theaters. I love watching movies on the silver screen but that just ain't happening again anytime soon.

As to AMC, I know quality varies from location to location, but the two local AMC's I go to are probably the filthiest, most poorly run theaters around. I'd rather wait for the movie to come to smaller chains that actually clean, care about their customers, and offer better seating and food.

I've shared this story before, but I think it bares repeating. The last time I went to an AMC with a friend we decided to take a quick restroom break before the movie. My friend went in before me. All the urinals were taken. I see him open a stall and chuckle, and then move onto the next one. I go to move into the stall and the floor and toilet is covered in urine and loose feces. I start sliding toward the toilet and only stop myself by launching my arms out to my sides and grasping the walls. My friend laughs and asks "You touched it, didn't you?".

I went back to that same AMC theater months later and guess what. That bathroom was still just as disgusting. And popcorn was all over the theater floors.

So AMC, goodspeed. I hope a new company rises from the ashes after this pandemic and takes their place in my area.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tickets here are already $15 or more. They going to raise prices even more? During a recession? Yeah fuck off, I don't need to see movies in the theater that bad.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
That's even assuming they're going to follow those safety measures to a t. I sincerely doubt those expenses are going to include paying their overworked employees better.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
I have been living under a rock, didn't know Corona Crisis was over, and we survived...wtf?? without power for 26 hours and corona was cured and i missed it..

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I was starting to get back into movies since the monthly subscription service was a good deal for me personally. I wouldn't go back now if prices went up during a freaking pandemic or for a time afterwards too.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't wanna see any more hygiene theater with disinfectants. I wanna know what air filtration systems they've installed in theaters....

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Whatever man. I've got Plex, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney Plus. It might not be as good as a theater experience but it's good enough to tide me over for a year as I avoid your expensive corona death trap.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sitting on a $25 AMC Christmas Gift Card

by the time I get to use it that may just cover a ticket

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's hilarious that they think I'm ever going inside a movie theater for the next year or so. Nah mate.

The ONLY theater I will ever attend for the indefinite future is the Starlight Cinema. It's a drive-in and it's a godsend.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
This forum sure gets bloodthirsty when it comes to theaters. Why take his comments and twist them disengenuously?

1. This was an investor call. That context is key.

2. When he says we've survived the crisis, he is talking about the company, which had critical debt issues that needed to be addressed. Shares dipped to around $2 and are now back to $4, off from $12 a year ago.

3. Talk of passing the cost of safety and cleaning is the same conversation every single company is forced to have with investors moving forward.

Feel free to keep blasting away. I have no personal love for AMC. Just cut out the bullshit.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017

There may not be an answer to that question. If you reopen as normal and have less movies to offer and obviously slimmer audience levels, they may not be able to support themselves with that. But if they increase prices, they may get an even smaller audience level and then they still go under.