• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, The Flagship RDNA 3 'Navi 31' GPU Powered Graphics Card, Could Offer Over 3 GHz Clock Speeds & Almost 100 TFLOPs of Performance

Over the last couple of days, there have been several sightings of the AMD RDNA 3 (GFX11) GPUs which have started appearing within the LLVM project within the Linux operating system's drivers and development tools. It looks like AMD is working on at least four new GPUs for now which have been confirmed through their ID leak which is as follows (Credits: @Kepler_L2):

• GFX (1100) - Possible Navi 31 GPU
  • GFX (1101) - Possible Navi 32 GPU
  • GFX (1102) - Possible Navi 33 GPU
  • (GFX 1103) - Possible Phoenix APU
As per the latest rumor from Greymon55, it looks like the clock speeds have seen a major boost from 2.5 GHz to now hovering around and even above the 3 GHz frequency mark. What this will mean is that the flagship chip with 15360 stream processors will be able to deliver almost 100.0 TFLOPs of FP32 compute performance (92 TFLOPs to be precise). That is without adding the OC limits which will definitely help it push closer to the already-close 100 TFLOPs barrier.

But it looks like the recent reports of NVIDIA making a major change to its Ada Lovelace GPU architecture for GeForce RTX 40 series have also been taken into consideration & leakers are expecting that Ada Lovelace flagships will not only be the first to breach the 100 TFLOPs GPU Compute barrier but also deliver clock rates similar to AMD's RDNA 3 which could be thanks to switching from Samsung's 8nm to TSMC's bleeding-edge 4N node which is an optimized variant based on the TSMC N5 process (5nm).

The Navi 31 GPU configuration shown here features two GCD's (Graphics Core Die) and a single MCD (Multi-Cache Die). Each GCD has 3 Shader Engines (6 in total) and each Shader Engine has 2 Shader Arrays (2 per SE / 6 per GCD / 12 in total). Each Shader Array is composed of 5 WGPs (10 per SE / 30 per GCD / 60 in total) and each WGP features 8 SIMD32 units with 32 ALUs (40 SIMD32 per SA / 80 per SE / 240 per GCD / 480 in total). These SIMD32 units combine to make up 7,680 cores per GCD and 15,360 cores in total.

Upcoming Flagship AMD, Intel, NVIDIA GPU Specs (Preliminary)

GPU NameAD102Navi 31Xe2-HPG
CodenameAda LovelaceRDNA 3Battlemage
Flagship SKUGeForce RTX 4090 SeriesRadeon RX 7900 SeriesArc B900 Series
GPU ProcessTSMC 4NTSMC 5nm+ TSMC 6nmTSCM 5nm?
GPU PackageMonolithicMCD (Multi-Chiplet Die)MCM (Multi-Chiplet Module)
GPU DiesMono x 12 x GCD + 4 x MCD + 1 x IODQuad-Tile (tGPU)
GPU Mega Clusters12 GPCs (Graphics Processing Clusters)6 Shader Engines10 Render Slices
GPU Super Clusters72 TPC (Texture Processing Clusters)30 WGPs (Per MCD)
60 WGPs (In Total)
40 Xe-Cores (Per Tile)
160 Xe-Cores (Total)
GPU Clusters144 Stream Multiprocessors (SM)120 Compute Units (CU)
240 Compute Units (in total)
1280 Xe VE (Per Tile)
5120 Xe VE (In Total)
Cores (Per Die)18432 CUDA Cores7680 SPs (Per GCD)
15360 SPs (In Total)
20480 ALUs (In Total)
Peak Clock~2.85 GHz~3.0 GHzTBD
FP32 Compute~105 TFLOPs~92 TFLOPsTBD
Memory TypeGDDR6XGDDR6GDDR6?
Memory Capacity24 GB32 GBTBD
Memory Bus384-bit256-bitTBD
Memory Speeds~21 Gbps~18 GbpsTBD
Cache Subsystems96 MB L2 Cache512 MB (Infinity Cache)TBD
TBP~600W~500WTBD
LaunchQ4 2022Q4 20222023

Source: https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-rdna-3-navi-31-gpu-graphics-card-100-tflops-3-ghz-rumor/

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
717CGms8KWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
So all upcoming flagship graphic cards are going to require 1200+ watt power supplies and consume like 500-700 watts by themselves? No thanks, I think I'll be skipping this gen and hope that next time they aren't chasing such high numbers at the expense of insane power requirements. My 3070 only consumes like 220 watts when gaming.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
These cards will be like 3000 dollars and people would still like to make silly comparisons with consoles again and again, everyone can throw around money and infinite power draw to make the numbers go high, i am interested when games will actually take advantage of these numbers instead of raising the resolutions to 16K and 360fps, like realistic earth deformations and simulations in real time.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
So all upcoming flagship graphic cards are going to require 1200+ watt power supplies and consume like 500-700 watts by themselves? No thanks, I think I'll be skipping this gen and hope that next time they aren't chasing such high numbers at the expense of insane power requirements. My 3070 only consumes like 220 watts when gaming.
We're talking about top of the lineup shit. I imagine the middle range models will be fine in terms of power consumption but we are kinda reaching that point I feel with each node shrink that the only way for more performance is to consume more power which obviously will generate more heat as hell.

What the fuck, how??
RDNA 3 is very power effficent. the top Navi 31 SKU will consume 450W at absolute max and maybe 375W more likely.

This isn't the AMD of 10 years ago where they had to scrape funding for stuff and almost going bankrupt.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017

Ye the direction into we are heading is just insane. The 375W power usage of my 3080 was already absoluty bonkers and even after a decent undervolting it still lands around 290-300w at max usage.

Especially with rising energy costs and environmental problems companies have to stop this madness to chase numbers

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Yep... call me when I can get 3080 Ti performance for 30 to 50 less watts
FWIW the 3000 series undervolts absurdly well. I cut the power use of my 3080 by 50-100W (!!) in exchange for a ~3% performance loss. It now runs 5-8 degrees cooler than before.

It's possible to do it without any performance loss, but that takes more tweaking than I had the patience for

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
These cards will be like 3000 dollars and people would still like to make silly comparisons with consoles again and again, everyone can throw around money and infinite power draw to make the numbers go high, i am interested when games will actually take advantage of these numbers instead of raising the resolutions to 16K and 360fps, like realistic earth deformations and simulations in real time.
Hard to disagree tbh

Ye the direction into we are heading is just insane. The 375W power usage of my 3080 was already absoluty bonkesr and even after a decent undervolting it still lands around 290-300w at max usage.

Especially with rising energy costs and environmental problems companies have to stop this madness to chase numbers
Navi 31 at 375W is absolutely going to destroy your 3080.

Honestly this current gen of cards is frankly overhyped and overpriced. RDNA 3 (and Lovelace if Jensen's ego didn't demand to be jacked up way beyond its efficency cuve) is going to be way more efficent than Ampere.

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
So users of these gpus are going to need their own personal nuclear reactors to provide enough electricity to run them right ?
Like the Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor in the delorean in back to the future ?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
AMD are going ham

Damn, you wonder what a pro console or even the 2028/9 systems will look like now.

People stop worrying about RDNA 3's power consumption:

If correct 35W on a 9.2 TF iGPU (6 WGP @ 3GHz) with 8 Zen 4 cores in a mobile APU. It's very likely the top end card probably will consume 375W.

The big problem is y'all hearing test AD102 boards consuming 900W because Jensen's ego demands it and Nvidia Engineers testing stuff for shits and giggles.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
RDNA 3 is very power effficent. the top Navi 31 SKU will consume 450W at absolute max and maybe 375W more likely.

This isn't the AMD of 10 years ago where they had to scrape funding for stuff and almost going bankrupt.
Wow, that will be crazy if they get all that for only 375 watts. AMD will be the future if Nvidia is chasing top performance at the expense of everything else. I live in Texas so hot video cards are a pain from like March until November.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about top of the lineup shit. I imagine the middle range models will be fine in terms of power consumption but we are kinda reaching that point I feel with each node shrink that the only way for more performance is to consume more power which obviously will generate more heat as hell.
we definitely are. the good news is, this only really matters if you buy the top end gpus. if you cared that much about lower wattage, there are plenty of cards out there. unfortunately, it's the flagships that get all the exposure and make the most money. the RTX A2000 shows us what a perfect world could look like, but we can't be blessed with that

These gpu companies have gone insane
Not insane if you want 4K 60FPS path tracing in the future. And UE5 being fully used on PC versions of games are going to be intensive.

Navi 31 and AD102 are 4K 120 FPS games with RT. That's the intention ;).
Wow, that will be crazy if they get all that for only 375 watts. AMD will be the future if Nvidia is chasing top performance at the expense of everything else. I live in Texas so hot video cards are a pain from like March until November.
It kinda beggerse the questions what Nvidia will do for the RTX 50 since the "4090" is going to be 600W because they can't pull the "increase TDP" 'trick' again.

I wouldnt' be suprised if RTX 50 is a big redesign + chiplet because AD102 at least apparently is rumored to have some extensive redesigns that make it way more than just

"Ampere+" by Kopite7kimi:

we definitely are. the good news is, this only really matters if you buy the top end gpus. if you cared that much about lower wattage, there are plenty of cards out there. unfortunately, it's the flagships that get all the exposure and make the most money. the RTX A2000 shows us what a perfect world could look like, but we can't be blessed with that
Blame Jensen's ego on ridiculous Lovelace power consumption; jacking up the frequency way beyond the optimum because he and others thought RTX 40 would be "fine" just initially designing around being an Ampere+ & Monolithic design. I mean TSMC 5nm is great but going chiplet really helped AMD here. And RDNA 4 is going to be another big redesign as rumored
Are we saying that 7900XT will perform 4x better than 6900XT?

I'm skeptical tbh.
No just theoretical performance, RL rasterization performance is probably 2.5-3 times which if on a 375W total board power is bonkers. Like more than a 2x performance per watt improvement.

Though RT performance improvement is a big question.
No, rumors point to ~2x better than 6900XT
4X in FP32 TF would mean closer to 3x than 2x at 4K.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blame Jensen's ego on ridiculous Lovelace power consumption; jacking up the frequency way beyond the optimum because he and others thought RTX 40 would be "fine" just initially designing around being an Ampere+ & Monolithic design. I mean TSMC 5nm is great but going chiplet really helped AMD here. And RDNA 4 is going to be another big redesign as rumored
we'll see. RDNA3 and Lovelace/Hopper ain't out yet. flops don't matter anymore in games

Jul 26, 2018
What kind of game would need 10x the tflops of a PS5/XSX? None, if anything this is either for AI businesses (imagine all the deepDL models you could fit with so many cores at the same time) and marketing purposes ("I produce the most powerful cards in the market").

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Nice. This shit will be way above my budget but it at least bodes well for me to be able to get a great upgrade sooner rather than later.

When do y'all think I'll be able to get between 10-12 RDNA 2 teraflops for around $300-$450? Could it be possible this generation?

Also, is there a time I should expect this year's new AMD CPUs to be unveiled?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of game would need 10x the tflops of a PS5/XSX? None, if anything this is either for AI businesses (imagine all the deepDL models you could fit with so many cores at the same time) and marketing purposes ("I produce the most powerful cards in the market").
for the people who demand 4K/60 with maxed out ray tracing and will accept nothing less

somehow those folks still exist

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Obviously, the more power you push, the faster it will go.

But at this point, I'm more interested in the mid-range cards, that won't need massive amounts of cooling.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
This sort of thing wouldn't necessarily even be unprecedented. 3090 is already at 36 TFLOPS and Nvidia had the 680 with 3x as many shaders as the 580 (and the 680 still had a lower TDP).

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
In a time where we should really be doing everything to be cutting power draw, this is really the angle the GPU manufacturers are taking?

Terrible really.

Status
Not open for further replies.