• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Posted this in the PS5 speculation thread but new news, new thread, I guess.

New AMD Semi-Custom SOC Combines the Power of AMD Ryzen CPU and AMD Vega GPU for Gamers in China

https://community.amd.com/community...md-vega-gpu-for-gamers-in-china?sf194826771=1

As the #1 supplier of high-end processors and graphics to the gaming market, we are focused on how we can deliver products that power the ultimate gaming experiences. Today, we are excited to detail how we are bringing Ryzen processors and Radeon graphics to even more gamers through our work with Zhongshan Subor to create a new gaming PC and upcoming console for the China market. The PC and console are powered by a semi-custom "Zen" and "Vega"-based AMD SOC. The high-performance AMD chip combines an AMD Ryzen™ CPU (4 core/8 thread running at 3Ghz) with AMD Radeon™ Vega Graphics (24CUs running at 1.3Ghzs) and 8GB of GDDR5 memory onto a single chip.

The new gaming SOC is the latest example of how only AMD can combine high-performance CPU and GPU technologies to give gamers the most immersive experiences possible. Whether it is our Radeon FreeSync technology, which is the industry's broadest adopted technology for tear-free, smooth and open gameplay or our feature-packed Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition software, AMD puts gamers at the heart of our technology development. We are also committed to working across the developer community and with leading publishers such as Ubisoft to drive adoption of next-generation technologies like Rapid Packed Math that can deliver more realistic and immersive experiences. Not to mention our work as we equip the world's most competitive eSports teams like Fnatic with powerful AMD Ryzen and AMD Vega gaming processors.

The new gaming PC was demonstrated in the Subor booth at ChinaJoy, the largest gaming and digital entertainment exhibition in China and Asia. Subor plans to launch their new game PC in late-August. The SUBOR gaming console, featuring the same hardware as the gaming PC but with a customized operating system, is expected to launch by the end of 2018.

Designing a semi-custom gaming SOC for Subor represents an exciting opportunity for AMD to make our high-performance technologies even more accessible to gamers in China. The new SOC is also a great example of our semi-custom strategy, where we take our differentiated IP and tailor to meet the specific needs of a customer to create a product only AMD can deliver.

We look forward to continuing to push the boundaries in game graphics and compute performance.

Specs according to pressrelease:
- AMD Ryzen™ CPU (4 core/8 thread running at 3Ghz)
- AMD Radeon™ Vega Graphics (24CUs running at 1.3Ghzs)
- 8GB of GDDR5 memory onto a single chip.

Next to possible use in chinese "knock off" consoles, I can also see Chinese vendors selling the components; which might be interesting for a low price PC. I believe Subor is known for various shady stuff tho: https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-subor-game.html

Last edited:

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/02/amd-supplies-semi-custom-chip-for-chinese-gaming-pc-and-console/

In short, some Chinese company want to make a gaming pc and the equilevant console with the same specs.
Good or bad?

I don't know if this is something significant, major company in China or we are talking for a new copystation but let's talk the potential of that thing....

Just yesterday i was thinkingthat the best chance we have to see a new player in console market will come from China due to the giant market and the political system that favor local companies.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
If it supports the VRR bit of HDMI 2.1 I'd have interest in using this for a combined home media centre/light gaming pc

timmbp

Oct 25, 2017
So this will be like that Hades Canyon NUC but with Ryzen instead of Intel?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I assume the 8GB GDDR5 is on package rather than on chip but even so, doesn't that mean this chip/package would be huge? I think GDDR5 is still at 1GB per chip density which means 8 chips of 14mm X 10mm?

Interesting development though.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This APU beats the OG PS4 and Xbox One (S) specs by quite a margin and is also very close to the PS4 Pro. Especially in the CPU department the improvements will be huge too. It will be interesting to see how current games will perform on that APU especially in the fps department. Will help us to get a better feeling what kind of improvement CPU wise we can expect from the next iteration of Playstation and Xbox consoles.

Edit:
The first system that sports this APU will be around 630 Euros (4998 RMB) with the following components:
128 GByte SSD, 1 TByte HDD und Windows 10

Source: https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/amd-semi-custom-chip-ryzen-vega/

Carn
You may want to add that to the OP?

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Good find. Does include a 128gb ssd, 1tb hdd and Win 10 tho; can't seem to find a price for the hypothetical console yet.
The link I provided in my comment has the price in it -> 4998 CNY/RMB which is around 630 Euros or $733

SqA7j0r.png

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna need a Dragon ball character comparison. Would this be a generic OVA character? Or maybe a Krillin?

I hope we never run out of DB characters to make hardware comparations.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The CPU is MUCH better than the jaguar ones.

If thats is any indication of the future...

OP
OP
Carn

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The link I provided in my comment has the price in it -> 4998 CNY/RMB which is around 630 Euros or $733

I'm aware of that, but that price refers to the "Gaming PC" iteration that uses this APU; there will also be a console with a custom OS (see OP)

The new gaming PC was demonstrated in the Subor booth at ChinaJoy, the largest gaming and digital entertainment exhibition in China and Asia. Subor plans to launch their new game PC in late-August. The SUBOR gaming console, featuring the same hardware as the gaming PC but with a customized operating system, is expected to launch by the end of 2018.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I'm gonna need a Dragon ball character comparison. Would this be a generic OVA character? Or maybe a Krillin?

I hope we never run out of DB characters to make hardware comparations.
It's pretty much on par with PS4 Pro, but with a significantly better CPU. So if PS4 Pro was Cell during the final Kamehameha struggle, this would be SSJ2 Gohan with spirit Goku backing him.

Nov 4, 2017
I'll be curious to see where this goes. China's growing middle class wants to be entertained, and if they can provide the local content at a palatable price in a way that the big three have struggled to do, this could do well I think.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
How many tflops does the GPu have?
Will the console play PC games I wonder, or will it be like a x1/ps4.

24CUs @ 1300MHz is approx. 4 TFlops... so pretty the same as the PS4 Pro albeit a little slower (3.99 < 4.2 SP TFLOPs).

The CPU is a 4 core Ryzen, so significantly better than the 8c Jaguar CPU in the PS4 Pro.

So the system won't be bottlenecked as much as the Pro, however, there's no mention of bus width or memory bandwidth.

The article is also confusing as it states that its a SoC, not an APU, since it has 8GB GDDR5 on the chip... what?!?

At current GDDR5 densities, for 8GB requires multiple chips. So either the article is confused and it's really an system-on-package with 8GB of HBM(1/2) or the RAM isn't on-die and it's an APU.

I'd expect the former is closer to the truth and the writer has confused their source information.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't believe they're integrating 8x 1Gbit GDDR5 chips onto a single die with GPU and CPU... it will cook and die.

Even a system on package with 8GB GDDR5 would likely be too much localized heat to dissipate.

I'm not really sure how they're doing this?

Is this press release direct from AMD? Translation error perhaps?

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Posted this in the PS5 speculation thread but new news, new thread, I guess.

New AMD Semi-Custom SOC Combines the Power of AMD Ryzen CPU and AMD Vega GPU for Gamers in China

https://community.amd.com/community...md-vega-gpu-for-gamers-in-china?sf194826771=1

Specs according to pressrelease:
- AMD Ryzen™ CPU (4 core/8 thread running at 3Ghz)
- AMD Radeon™ Vega Graphics (24CUs running at 1.3Ghzs)
- 8GB of GDDR5 memory onto a single chip.

Next to possible use in chinese "knock off" consoles, I can also see Chinese vendors selling the components; which might be interesting for a low price PC. I believe Subor is known for various shady stuff tho: https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-subor-game.html

I'd buy that SOC in a heartbeat for a cheap gaming PC.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1315...zen-soc-with-24-vega-cus-for-chinese-consoles

The announcement states that a custom chip has been created for Subor that is based on four Zen cores running at 3.0 GHz and 24 compute units of Vega running at 1.3 GHz. The chip is supported by 8GB of GDDR5 memory, which the press release states is also embedded onto the chip, however it is likely to actually be on the package instead.

The new SoC, name unknown, will support FreeSync, the Adrenalin software, and Rapid Packed Math, confirming that this is a true Vega design (unlike the chip used by Intel in its combination product).

acODeaH.png

Maybe a taste of what's to come? Having memory on the chip or package would be a huge space-saver, though who knows if this would be possible on next-gen systems since they'll have more than 8GB. And I still think we'll get Navi-based GPUs.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CPU should be a massive improvement compared to the Jaguars in the PS4/PS4Pro
Massive boost I must say, not just the clock speed but arquiteture and hyperthread function as well. If Sony/Microsoft learn to use the hyperthread correct, they can be a game change at least on exclusive games.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Shame it's not available worldwide, if this is like $400 or under, it would be a sick pre built for entry level PC gaming.
However since it's a SOC & they are talking custom OS, i wonder if this would even work under Windows?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1315...zen-soc-with-24-vega-cus-for-chinese-consoles

acODeaH.png

Maybe a taste of what's to come? Having memory on the chip or package would be a huge space-saver, though who knows if this would be possible on next-gen systems since they'll have more than 8GB. And I still think we'll get Navi-based GPUs.

Thanks for this. It's good to get a little more clarity.

I still don't get how they can fit 8x 1GB GDDR5 dies in the same package as the CPU and GPU here. It would be massive and a bitch to cool.

Are 2GB GDDR5 chips available?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
This is quite interesting, basically a PS4 Pro with a much faster CPU.

I do think the 8GB memory might be somewhat limiting for some use cases.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
That's much more reasonable. Still, 8GB of GDDR5 is pretty good. I suppose it will also have some normal system ram, at least in the PC.

Not necessarily. I don't think there's anything stopping them from using a unified pool of GDDR5 for both CPU and GPU in the same way that typical APUs do with DDR4. Particularly as it's a custom chip on a custom motherboard.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would it be purchasable independently from a machine? What I'm asking is, is it basically a steam box scenario for china, or something ironically with a bit more freedom in usage.

CoLD FiRE

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So this is what Steam Machines should've been. I'd love to get something like this in the form of a "Steam Machine" (if it's priced like a console) on other markets.

Too bad it's going to be China only.

Edit: just saw the price. Yeah, no. Too expensive. I don't see how this would sell in terms of mainstream appeal.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
When AMD mentioned semi-custom wins, did they ever hint at this?

I know it sounds crazy but are we sure that MS and Sony are going all AMD next gen?