• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how long property values can be kept up. Millennials are largely poor. Are there enough of us that make enough money to sustain ridiculous property values in cities across the US?

Most houses that are built for the wealthy are ugly as fuck, too.

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
wealth tax, wealth tax, wealth tax. more necessary now than ever. and utterly impossible with the current state of social and governmental affairs. unless some miraculous sea change sweeps over the populace, it will keep getting worse.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Liberals love thinking that language and having the right sounding words and terms can solve racism but they never think about addressing material concerns and realities.
This. It is something that annoys the hell out of me. I'm living in a very liberal city yet we only just switched from a less racist city representation method and many of the minorities living in the city are being driven out.

Real progressives (i.e., progressives that want hard material change...not just soft rhetorical change) should get riled up at this.
It riles me up.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Liberals cherry pick at San Fran and conservatives cherry pick at Chicago, lol

People living in cities are doing much much better than people living in the suburbs and rural areas...there is a much bigger divide when comparing blue vs red states. These opinion columns love over-the-top and exaggerated hot takes. No city is perfect but they are not "unlivable" in any sense of the word.

Sure, but SF Gini index is 0.52, a bit worse than California entire at 0.49, and even worse than the USA entire at 0.48.

SF is one of the most unequal places in the US.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Legit question: how is NIMBY so different from anti-gentrification? Both dont want strangers that will "change the character of the neighborhood". One has actual money to stop it, but even poorer communities have been able to halt new developments so its not like it hopeless.

At the base level, neither the rich or poor want new people around. So it's not "just" a rich people problem. I'm assuming that the poor areas are also kinda liberal.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that overblowing the control that individual cities have over policy and law?
I'm talking about local Democrats not federal ones.
Legit question: how is NIMBY so different from anti-gentrification? Both dont want strangers that will "change the character of the neighborhood". One has actual money to stop it, but even poorer communities have been able to halt new developments so its not like it hopeless.

At the base level, neither the rich or poor want new people around.
NIMBY: Rich people don't want poor people near them
Anti-gentrification: Poor people don't want to lose their homes and jobs to rent hikes
Gentrification: The gradual displacement of the lower classes by upper classes through the influx of the upper classes in response to economic/socio-cultural opportunity, leading to increasing rents and cost of living in a given area

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Liberal Relieved He Never Has To Introspect Again After Assembling All The Correct Opinions
nuwqilybveevw5dffhpw.jpg
Holy shit lol

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
It's true and why people dislike biden becoming pres, he's not gonna do shit about shit. we need real radical change to overcome 40 years of reaganomic bullshit tilting everything upwards. and liberals/democrats have been complicit in all of that starting with clinton and continuing with obama.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how do we raise the money we need to give to everyone?

Legislation and regulations that make sure people get paid better and have better benefits.

Rich people are always short sighted. They'd make more money if everyone made more money and spent more money and didn't have to dump crazy amounts of money into healthcare.

We all do better when we all do better.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
This is more moneyed political operatives, imho.

There are plenty of people on the left fighting to improve things, donating money and time, pushing progressive policies and whatnot.

But there are political operatives who will innovate in new and exciting ways to stymie progress, even when the situation is dire for remaining opposition.

Progress requires 100% buy in, or 100% interest in defying fevered opposition. Anything less that that invites people gumming up the works.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah most people don't walk the walk and talk the talk. It's easier to retweet hot takes on twitter for diversity karma.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The hypocrisy/contradiction of gentrification is two-fold. It's true that gentrification usually goes hand-in-hand with economic prosperity and that's good on the surface but:

1) As long as people rent and don't own their housing, rent-growth will outstrip wage growth in a given area

2) "The economic opportunity" that blesses the gentrified area is usually locked to a higher social class than whoever was there in the first place

The only real permanent winners of gentrification are:

1) The city government, because gentrified areas are better tax bases

2) Property owners

Everyone else is a sojourner whose main purpose in the process of gentrification is to generate wealth for the above two groups.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Biden has almost zero control over local zoning and ordinances. Your mayor and city council control that.
yes, of course no shit. but it's of the same centrist economic mindset.

it's important that this is in the nyt because those are the exact sort of coastal liberal that needs to read this and wake the fuck up.

HE EVEN BRINGS BIDEN AND THE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES UP IN THE PIECE. DO PEOPLE NOT READ ANYMORE???? FUCKING HELL

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That much makes sense, but what would this solution, on a local level in regards to housing policy alone, look like? Is this a "build more housing problem solved" approach we're talking? Rent control? How does local policy combat inevitable trends of poorly regulated capitalism?
Housing policy should be determined on the state level

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about local Democrats not federal ones.

NIMBY: Rich people don't want poor people near them
Anti-gentrification: Poor people don't want to lose their homes and jobs to rent hikes
Gentrification: The gradual displacement of the lower classes by upper classes through the influx of the upper classes in response to economic/socio-cultural opportunity, leading to increasing rents and cost of living in a given area

I'll build on this and encourage people to read/listen to a recent Vox piece on addressing the housing crisis in cities. People should be free to move where they want. However, rich NIMBYers have made it impossible to build new housing in what amount of low density, single family areas of what are otherwise dense cities. Places in those cities with less economic power, and thus less political power, are the places that then get built up because people still want to live in these cities. Price changes would not be nearly as severe for existing residents of new housing is getting built all across a city rather than a few places where demand explodes due to limited options.

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/17/18628267/jenny-schuetz-weeds-interview

1. There are two only partially overlapping housing affordability crises in America, one that affects low-income households in all parts of the country and another that affects a larger share of households in a minority of markets (mostly in coastal metro areas) that suffer from an acute shortage of housing.
  2. To help low-income families, we should make housing assistance an entitlement — like SNAP or Medicaid — that's available to every family that meets the income eligibility standards.
  3. We probably shouldn't tie housing assistance to local housing costs, because high local housing costs reflect housing scarcity, which means extra subsidy will be captured by landlords. Instead, we should tackle the shortage.
  4. In California, the Northeast Corridor, Greater Seattle, Greater Portland, and, to a lesser extent, Greater Denver and many college towns, there is simply not enough housing being built to meet the demand to live in these areas, creating problems that no amount of subsidy or rent control can really solve.
  5. Many of these supply-constrained metro areas do in fact feature building booms in select areas — downtown or in gentrifying neighborhoods — but the vast majority of urban and suburban land is generally set aside for single-family homes and has almost no construction happening in it.
  6. The most socially and economically valuable place to build new housing would be in the most expensive, most affluent neighborhoods and suburban towns — but to make that happen, state governments will have to override local zoning regulations.
  7. Federal policymakers hoping to incentive more house-building need to look beyond funds from the Department of Housing and Urban Development, which are not a very strong carrot, and consider using transportation money as a lever to influence state and local policy.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Housing policy should be determined on the state level

Depends on the state.

Could you imagine what housing policies would be like in Texas if the state determined housing policy there? They have banned inclusionary housing and housing vouchers.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cutting argument at the end here.

Reading opposition to SB 50 and other efforts at increasing density, I'm struck by an unsettling thought: What Republicans want to do with I.C.E. and border walls, wealthy progressive Democrats are doing with zoning and Nimbyism. Preserving "local character," maintaining "local control," keeping housing scarce and inaccessible — the goals of both sides are really the same: to keep people out.

"We're saying we welcome immigration, we welcome refugees, we welcome outsiders — but you've got to have a $2 million entrance fee to live here, otherwise you can use this part of a sidewalk for a tent," said Brian Hanlon, president of the pro-density group California Yimby. "That to me is not being very welcoming. It's not being very neighborly."

Wait how is this not the fault of wealthy republicans? Is this article just one giant whataboutism?

I don't think the article is an example of whataboutism.

Whataboutism would be ... if someone said something like, "Trump has spent $99m of taxpayer money playing golf since becoming president," and a Trump supporter/apologist replied, "Well what about progressives in San Francisco forcing poor veterans to sleep in church pews and eat trash -- What about that?!"

The world isn't zero sum, though many people (including the President) think it is. Criticizing progressives is not an automatic defense of conservatives. This particular NYT OpEd is focused mostly on progressive areas where Republicans in state or federal government really don't have very much policy influence.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, rich people voting for NIMBY policies will always eventually lead to ruin, it's always a net loss of value to the community over the long run.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
San Francisco's problems are partially related to an overabundance of people with mental health issues. The climate encourages it, and it feels like SF is a destination for half the country's homeless. I have absolutely no idea what a solution looks like. It's impossible to commit and provide care to everyone.

Define "rich"
Does it start at earning $100k/yr?

Oh man I remember that gem of a thread.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that where wealthy democrats will lose their influence though? In Oregon we couldn't even pass legislation to increase corporate tax rates from the lowest in the nation from what I recall.
Yes, thats the point. State level zoning blunts the effectiveness of direct political pressure from current residents. Because the largest negative impact (in terms of net scale) are those trying to move to the region.

You use democracy here to make it so any meighborhoods individual influence on decisionmaking is tiny relative to the whole.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah. New Hampshire, Maine, or Vermont are my dream states.

NH and VT can be pretty cool if you pick the right location.

NH's biggest hinderance at the moment is its Governor, but other than that it's a pretty rad state. The rural areas are far more conservative, but you would get that in VT as well.
VT is a great place to live however they are suffering from a massive brain drain, to the point where they are paying people who can work remotely $10,000 to move to the state. The hope being that they establish roots in the state, and perhaps a tech scene emerges. VT also has legal cannabis, and an obscene number of awesome breweries!
ME...Portland is cool.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
California resident here. We have some great things here. We also fail at so many foundational levels of governing I would not be surprised to see it have a red resurgence. The 'liberal' leadership in this state can be really, really frustrating at times.

Oct 27, 2017
Progressive cities became too complacent after integration. Just blaming it on NIMBYers seems like a convenient way to absolve yourself of that.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Yes, thats the point. State level zoning blunts the effectiveness of direct political pressure from current residents. Because the largest negative impact (in terms of net scale) are those trying to move to the region.

You use democracy here to make it so any meighborhoods individual influence on decisionmaking is tiny relative to the whole.
I see, thanks for explaining.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California resident here. We have some great things here. We also fail at so many foundational levels of governing I would not be surprised to see it have a red resurgence. The 'liberal' leadership in this state can be really, really frustrating at times.
Direct Democracy is worst democracy is at the heart of a lot of CA's problems.

Oct 27, 2017
Remember...proof is in the pudding; your hypothesis must be testable and if it does not yield the result you want when tested, YOU must change your hypothesis.

Here is a list of real things we can do to make real progress:

1. To address high cost of living: Build lots more housing of all types. Take into account environmental best practices to achieve some level of leed cert. whenever possible. Get rid of restrictive zoning laws and make the zoning system more like the much simpler Japanese mixed-use zoning system.
2. To address global warming / environmental issues: Overhaul base load power generation to consist almost entirely of state-of-the-art Gen IV+ Molten Salt Nuclear Reactors (like LFTR, IMSR, etc.) + compliment with renewables to address peak demand where efficiency is high (like PV/Solar, Wind Turnbines, etc.) + overhaul most vehicular transport to run on non-fossil-fuel-powered engines (like EVs with advanced battery technologies, fuel cells, or some sort of ICE that runs on syngassed fuels and/or biofuels)
3. To address inequities in wealth and power distribution: simple progressive taxation in every tax scenario (income, property, inheritance, capital gains, corporate, etc.), campaign finance reform (especially elimination of corporate personhood via reversal Citizens United) in combination with stricter limitations on lobbying and the revolving door (i.e., tamping down on the primary avenues used by corporate and special interest entities to bribe government officials), true universal healthcare (likely single payer with cost controls), highly-subsidized or free higher education (including both college and trade schools), bussing for all levels of public school education, bolster public school education by adopting best-practices found in Scandinavian countries (especially Finland), changing the voting system to adopt PR-STV (proportional representation by the single transferable vote), bolster laws supporting unions as a check on corporate power, fixed maximum total compensation ratios which limit pay for top executives at public companies by forcing them to increase the median employee/contractor's pay to increase their own, etc.