Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not true.

Maybe the price per apartment is below, but the price per square foot is way higher (the average apartment is smaller in Tokyo than in the average big US city). Tokyo is the second most expensive city in the world in terms of housing: https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mhj45eddhg/1-hong-kong-china/
The price per apartment ends up being way more important than the price per square foot when it comes to making sure people have homes.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
But Tokyo is one of the most expensive town in the world and house prices are also incredibly high.
It's a symptom of all big-cities with strong economies nowadays.
While SF and NYC lead most of the living costs charts - they are far from alone at the top - Seoul, Tokyo, Singapore, HongKong, Shanghai, Zurich, Munich, Frankfurt, London... living costs (and housing) are ballooning in all of them.

The quality of life you get in each of these is another story - I've been through most of the above list and I'd rate actual US city-living near the bottom of the lot.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
But the main examples are in the Democratic strongholds. That's the reason for the indictment. When unopposed liberals still implement policies that lead to more inequality.

In a few years people are gonna get fed up with Democrats and vote in Republicans when they finally wise up and craft a state-specific Republican platform that appeals to California natives dissatisfied about the nature of one party rule. Cycle continues.

Oct 25, 2017
The fundamental problem is that people don't have homes. There are plenty of homes for the homeless but for some reason, these homes ain't being made available. Shucks and darn.

If the homeless want to move to Bumfuck where most of these vacant homes are, they're welcome to, but that's not reality. The total number of vacant homes is irrelevant, the question is where those vacancies are concentrated.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Not true.

Maybe the price per apartment is below, but the price per square foot is way higher (the average apartment is smaller in Tokyo than in the average big US city). Tokyo is the second most expensive city in the world in terms of housing: https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mhj45eddhg/1-hong-kong-china/

Dude look at housing yourself. For a major metro area it's 40% cheaper for a one bedroom than major US cities (even in places like Shinjuku and Shibuya). You can get a 500 sqft studio in central Tokyo for $700 in the heart of the city. In LA you can get a shitty equivalent in North Hollywood for maybe $1k.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a few years people are gonna get fed up with Democrats and vote in Republicans when they finally wise up and craft a state-specific Republican platform that appeals to California natives dissatisfied about the nature of one party rule. Cycle continues.
The problem for blue-state Republicans is that the national GOP drags them down as politics has nationalized. (ditto red state Dems.) You can't escape it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's also just incorrect to say people don't stop having children, the birthrate in the US has been declining for years. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/us/us-birthrate-decrease.html?searchResultPosition=1

Yeah, reading it again that was a poor statement. What I meant was that there is no evidence that influxes of population will stop moving to a city just because prices are high. People who think that "people will/should stop coming here" if we make it less hospitable to newcomers are just buying into a smaller scale version of Trump-style immigration policy. People move to cities because of substantially higher economic opportunity, more pay, more choice of jobs, more amenities. When housing stock is kept constant it doesn't stop people from moving there, it just means people who are either more wealthy or more able to take a quality of life hit will simply push out an existing person. Those people either move further or they become homeless. Being homeless in a city is easier than being homeless in a small town because they at least have support networks. Those people aren't leaving. Also many of them can't leave, they don't have money and/or chronic health conditions, mental issues etc. So really all you can do is build more to house them (if we let these people live indoors and take shits in a toilet then maybe they wouldn't live in tents and shit on the street, what a concept!). There is no equilibrium state city populations, if you aren't growing you are dying, and attempts to make it harder to settle simply make it more inhospitable for everyone because even rich people need house cleaners, baristas, line cooks, uber drivers and artisans.

M-M

Oct 27, 2017
Decommodify housing and abolish landlords. I don't think property rights and the freedom to make fat stacks off the housing market should outweigh human lives. Some people like NIMBYs seem to want to have shit both ways. They (supposedly) want to get rid of the severe inequality in our economic system that deprives others of what they need to live, but fight tooth and nail to hold onto their position of being a beneficiary of said inequality. I don't think that's how shit works.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, reading it again that was a poor statement. What I meant was that there is no evidence that influxes of population will stop moving to a city just because prices are high. People who think that "people will/should stop coming here" if we make it less hospitable to newcomers are just buying into a smaller scale version of Trump-style immigration policy. People move to cities because of substantially higher economic opportunity, more pay, more choice of jobs, more amenities. When housing stock is kept constant it doesn't stop people from moving there, it just means people who are either more wealthy or more able to take a quality of life hit will simply push out an existing person. Those people either move further or they become homeless. Being homeless in a city is easier than being homeless in a small town because they at least have support networks. Those people aren't leaving. Also many of them can't leave, they don't have money and/or chronic health conditions, mental issues etc. So really all you can do is build more to house them (if we let these people live indoors and take shits in a toilet then maybe they wouldn't live in tents and shit on the street, what a concept!). There is no equilibrium state city populations, if you aren't growing you are dying, and attempts to make it harder to settle simply make it more inhospitable for everyone because even rich people need house cleaners, baristas, line cooks, uber drivers and artisans.
Yup. People have been coming to America crossing the border for eons because it was worth the move to them even with all the risks. It's why anyone moves- the promise of better opportunity.

A big factor behind border crossings slowing has been bithrate declines and an increase in quality of life as a result for younger generations. (less kids = less financial stress on parents, etc.) Unfortunately those types of factors that are occurring cross-nationally here in the Americas aren't reflected in the intra-US rural/urban dynamics, where rural areas are having massive issues in the modern economy.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
The problem for blue-state Republicans is that the national GOP drags them down as politics has nationalized. (ditto red state Dems.) You can't escape it.

Tbh I'm not a fan of this trend. Call me a moderate but it's way too easy for the party to get entrenched behind one faction (clinton) and then a Republican can cut their legs down as that's becomes the only viable way to wage a effective opposition.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I'm not a fan of this trend. Call me a moderate but it's way too easy for the party to get entrenched behind one faction (clinton) and then a Republican can cut their legs down as that's becomes the only viable way to wage a effective opposition.
Unfortunately the only places we're seeing buck it are in the red states that have screwed up so bad (Kansas, basically any place that had a Teacher's Strike) that people can't stop ignoring it, and even then it's not a gigantic shift.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Using Tokyo as an example is bad because if you work in Tokyo you can live 30 minutes away by train and the housing prices drop substantially. Meanwhile in Seattle, housing prices go from super expensive to still way too expensive no matter which direction you go.

Japan solved this by:

Building like crazy.
Having the infrastructure to support outward growth.
NOT TYING HOUSES TO A SPECULATIVE MARKET THAT CAN BE ABUSED BY RICH PEOPLE AND GRIFTERS

Rent in Tokyo is expensive but you have to look outside of that. Food is cheap, you 100% do not need a car to live there, most businesses pay for public transportation costs to and from work (a pass, which you can use any time of the day any day of the week to travel to any station along your commute route), and health care is cheap.

You can live on less in Japan period.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Using Tokyo as an example is bad because if you work in Tokyo you can live 30 minutes away by train and the housing prices drop substantially. Meanwhile in Seattle, housing prices go from super expensive to still way too expensive no matter which direction you go.

Japan solved this by:

Building like crazy.
Having the infrastructure to support outward growth.
NOT TYING HOUSES TO A SPECULATIVE MARKET THAT CAN BE ABUSED BY RICH PEOPLE AND GRIFTERS

Rent in Tokyo is expensive but you have to look outside of that. Food is cheap, you 100% do not need a car to live there, most businesses pay for public transportation costs to and from work (a pass, which you can use any time of the day any day of the week to travel to any station along your commute route), and health care is cheap.

You can live on less in Japan period.
We're not going to get Tokyo level density or mass transit, but the fact that American cities have so much restriction to build is the key driver here.

NIMBYs are way too powerful.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being horrified by THIS:
six-unit-row-home-446-front-photo-house-plans.jpg

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not about it being ugly. It's about keeping the poors out. That's why they are upset.
Give me some of that good old brutalist public housing.

tw1facngkzywlb4e.jpg

"The Sirius building is not only an important piece of architectural history—it is one of the last areas of public housing in the district," explained Rita Mallia, president of the CFMEU in a Sept 16 statement.

Yes I'm aware of the irony of posting Le Corbusier.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ugly? I think they look good enough. I rather like the garage downstairs and the whole three floors set up.
I kind of loathe the slatted house look so common in America where suburbs are copy pasted throughout areas no one can afford to live in (because there's no jobs, not because it's too expensive, the opposite of the SF problem). IIRC it's called "neo-colonial"? Well I guess these denser side by side places are neo-neo colonial since they don't have yards, or probably have communal yards.

Vaguely related I also think America needs to de-carify for economic and environmental reasons so giving every family a garage is not exactly high on my list of priorities vis a vis urban development.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
The biggest problem with this world and especially when it comes to politics, is that many people act in favour of their own interests, I don't think it is exclusive to a particular political leaning.

If putting others happiness before our own was the way of the world then I truly believe we would live in a naturally better world by default.

Unfortunately money and materialism is a huge motivating factor behind not putting other people and their happiness first and unless we change our approach to what's really important in life then this will forever remain the same, we place value on things that will never truly make us happy rather than placing value on life itself.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC has a lot of vacancies despite homelessness and demand.
There should always be vacancies, much like the ideal unemployment rate isn't zero. Vacancies existing isn't the problem.

The problem is that even if you put everyone who needs or wants a home into the vacant places, it wouldn't be enough.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There should always be vacancies, much like the ideal unemployment rate isn't zero. Vacancies existing isn't the problem.

The problem is that even if you put everyone who needs or wants a home into the vacant places, it wouldn't be enough.
That's not necessarily my point in bringing that up to the person I quoted.

Anyways, you aren't wrong. if my understanding of economics is right with higher vacancy rates the rents go down correct? Except NYC remains unaffordable and the reason we have those vacancy rates in the first place is due to speculative investments.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not necessarily my point in bringing that up to the person I quoted
That's the point they're making though.

South Bend Indiana currently has a vacancy rate of 12%. NYC's is currently 3.75% A "full" vacancy rate is about 5%, once you get past that, rents start increasing because housing demand has outpaced supply. And NYC's has been under 5% every year except for two in the wake of the recession, which for obvious reasons are an outlier. There aren't enough houses there.

Housing as speculative investment is indeed a big part of the problem, but "vacant houses" aren't really the reason it's a problem in most areas- it's houses that could be built, but aren't.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty fucking awful. I'm lucky with my current apartment. It's a sweet old couple that just wants good tenants, and they haven't raised the rent once on me. I'm paying $1,650 for a 1BR apartment. It's an old unit and really barebones, with no garbage disposal, in unit washer/dryer, AC, etc. I would love to move to an actual apartment complex with more amenities, since I'm living in a duplex at the moment with no front or back yard, but for a 1BR apartment at an actual apartment complex with those things in San Jose costs like $2500 minimum.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the point they're making though.

South Bend Indiana currently has a vacancy rate of 12%. NYC's is currently 3.75% A "full" vacancy rate is about 5%, once you get past that, rents start increasing because housing demand has outpaced supply. And NYC's has been under 5% every year except for two in the wake of the recession, which for obvious reasons are an outlier. There aren't enough houses there.

Housing as speculative investment is indeed a big part of the problem, but "vacant houses" aren't really the reason it's a problem in most areas- it's houses that could be built, but aren't.
Sure. But stepping away from the economic mechanism a bit, NYC has built a ton of homes with in the past few years since 2014. What doesn't sit well with me is working families filling up homeless shelters while apartments in the city remain vacant because it's more profitable for speculators to leave them so. Also where were building matters. Like I said before building a "luxury" apartment in Brownsville and slapping 30% affordable units in it is going to have a radically different impact in that area then doing the exact same in Forrest Hills for example. Like were working backwards here but this goes back to policy failures and not economics

mrmojo228

Dec 3, 2018
This is one problem that capitalism can fix. Allow the builders to build and homes will become affordable again. You don't have to force anyone to do anything, just loosen the restrictions preventing builders from doing what they already want to do. It will even fix your housing as investments problem. Even if they are building luxury condos it's ok. The former luxury condos become middle class, the former middle class become lower class etc. Once the market determines that you can no longer acquire a luxury price for a luxury piece of housing because of demand, it will build accordingly.

The solution really is clear. Just difficult because of NIMBY's and real estate investment. But at some point you have to tell them to pound sand. Stop expecting 7 percent growth on your home per year. Problem is after the poor give dems their vote, what else do they have as an incentive to do the right thing? I promise you there are a lot of tie ins between real estate investment and politics. There's a reason why the only thing to pass was tax breaks for holders of "historic" property. It's not about preserving history, it's about preventing development and increasing their property value. In the city I live in, the people on our historic property administration committee are real estate investors and that's it. They don't give a shit about historic buildings in that sense, just as a tool to manipulate real estate prices. Everyone with the money is benefiting from this system so what's their incentive to change it? Like I said they already have the votes of the poor anyway.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one problem that capitalism can fix. Allow the builders to build and homes will become affordable again. You don't have to force anyone to do anything, just loosen the restrictions preventing builders from doing what they already want to do. It will even fix your housing as investments problem. Even if they are building luxury condos it's ok. The former luxury condos become middle class, the former middle class become lower class etc. Once the market determines that you can no longer acquire a luxury price for a luxury piece of housing because of demand, it will build accordingly.

The solution really is clear. Just difficult because of NIMBY's and real estate investment. But at some point you have to tell them to pound sand. Stop expecting 7 percent growth on your home per year. Problem is after the poor give dems their vote, what else do they have as an incentive to do the right thing? I promise you there are a lot of tie ins between real estate investment and politics. There's a reason why the only thing to pass was tax breaks for holders of "historic" property. It's not about preserving history, it's about preventing development and increasing their property value. In the city I live in, the people on our historic property administration committee are real estate investors and that's it. They don't give a shit about historic buildings in that sense, just as a tool to manipulate real estate prices. Everyone with the money is benefiting from this system so what's their incentive to change it? Like I said they already have the votes of the poor anyway.
you fucking bet!

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. But stepping away from the economic mechanism a bit, NYC has built a ton of homes with in the past few years since 2014. What doesn't sit well with me is working families filling up homeless shelters while apartments in the city remain vacant because it's more profitable for speculators to leave them so. Also where were building matters. Like I said before building a "luxury" apartment in Brownsville and slapping 30% affordable units in it is going to have a radically different impact in that area then doing the exact same in Forrest Hills for example. Like were working backwards here but this goes back to policy failures and not economics

No one's saying they shouldn't be taxing unused or vacant properties to encourage development. There's plenty of empty lots in Brooklyn even in hot neighborhoods. The city needs to get better about being efficient and not making housing too expensive, but there's certainly plenty they could do to prevent speculation (although I imagine the biggest impacts there would affect commercial rentals, not residential.)

New York for their part are trying to be pretty aggressive against short term rentals that are helping to deplete supply.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
This density needs a qualifier.

As annoying or detrimental as nimbyism is who wants to live in a dense area?

When I think of density I think of two different forms of diversity, dense set of features and a densely packed building complex.

I'm not a fan of people living on top of each other to the degree we do in cities. If your building has over 120 people living in it that is too much. I personally take issue with neighborhoods that have more than 4 apartment complexes within a 2 block radius.

Not everyone wants the same thing you do.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't really the vacancies, its the houses that could be built, but aren't. It's that which could be done, but which isn't done because existing property owners don't want market competition that lowers their returns.

You see this in areas in NYC where it's currently illegal to build housing that's of equivalent density to existing buildings because it's been made illegal to do so even though the city's reliant on that older, denser housing stock for its supply.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
NIMBY is a big problem in the North East as well. Lots and lots of people who are hyper liberal / progressive, until it impacts them directly. Most recently its been really funny to watch the legal cannabis thing unfold in MA.

"I'm super progressive, and think that cannabis should be legal!"
"cool! so can we put a dispensary in <metro-boston-suburb-name-here>?"
"oh yeah, no....because: the crime / hit to my property values / but my kids..."

We have had those threads on this board. This very forum, lol. Results come out interestingly problematic too.

M-M

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco's problem is not a "housing crisis". The mentally ill people that currently live on the street in San Francisco are not in the market for buying houses. They need long-term psychiatric care.

'

I don't have enough facepalm for this.

Someone has to move the overton window left!

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't really the vacancies, its the houses that could be built, but aren't. It's that which could be done, but which isn't done because existing property owners don't want market competition that lowers their returns.

You see this in areas in NYC where it's currently illegal to build housing that's of equivalent density to existing buildings because it's been made illegal to do so even though the city's reliant on that older, denser housing stock for its supply.
I know we've talked about that element of it before on this forum. It's worth discussing different elements of the issue

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It's a symptom of all big-cities with strong economies nowadays.
While SF and NYC lead most of the living costs charts - they are far from alone at the top - Seoul, Tokyo, Singapore, HongKong, Shanghai, Zurich, Munich, Frankfurt, London... living costs (and housing) are ballooning in all of them.

The quality of life you get in each of these is another story - I've been through most of the above list and I'd rate actual US city-living near the bottom of the lot.

Indeed. Housing is very expensive in big cities, especially in Asian ones. Of course, there are many factors to take into account: welfare, average wages, and so on. Living in the city centre of big cities without a sizable wage is challenging everywhere, though, even in countries with low inequalities and high average wages like Denmark.

Dude look at housing yourself. For a major metro area it's 40% cheaper for a one bedroom than major US cities (even in places like Shinjuku and Shibuya). You can get a 500 sqft studio in central Tokyo for $700 in the heart of the city. In LA you can get a shitty equivalent in North Hollywood for maybe $1k.

The price per apartment ends up being way more important than the price per square foot when it comes to making sure people have homes.

I was talking about housing prices, not rental market. However, it might be that rent prices are lower in Tokyo. Overall, the average flat is smaller in Tokyo than in your typical big US city.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Give me some of that good old brutalist public housing.

tw1facngkzywlb4e.jpg

When I lived in Sydney and commuted for work I used to love passing the 'Sirius Building'.
Really stood out in the context of the area it was in which you don't get in that image.
1712-0101-22_0.jpg

sirius2.png

As for house pricing being an issue, my partner and I moved back to Melbourne due to how crazy house pricing was in Sydney.
Even in areas that had been affordable entry points it was out of control. Tax incetives like 'negative gearing' had meant baby boomers and people with more capital had been able to buy up awhile people trying to enter the market were at a huge disadvantage.

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco's problem is not a "housing crisis". The mentally ill people that currently live on the street in San Francisco are not in the market for buying houses. They need long-term psychiatric care.
Mentally ill vagrants are a fraction of the homeless population.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even in areas that had been affordable entry points it was out of control. Tax incetives like 'negative gearing' had meant baby boomers and people with more capital had been able to buy up awhile people trying to enter the market were at a huge disadvantage.
Yes it's a shame how these places that were once envisioned as mass housing for the working class became valuable real estate for the upper class only passing hands between the already rich and priced way out of the range of everyone below them.

I'd rather see more of these (if we were to build new housing) than our American triangle roofs and slatted walls though, which are kind of space inefficient for density and also offends my delicate architectural sensibilities.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my overall point is the influx and power of investment capital in the housing market is probably one of the biggest causes of the current housing crisis. It gives rise to NIMBYism as people want to protect their investment which then gives ways to the policy failures addressing housing in local municipalities. In my home of NYC, Real Estate is the biggest Lobby in the city, they got no trouble pouring money into statewide elections. I think for the most part on resetera and elsewhere we frame this conversation as NIMBYs vs YIMBYs and I think that's about as good as trying to interpret politics through party politics. You're not getting the full picture. Ultimately I think most of us would agree that we need housing to become an interchangeable commodity but how that happens will differ between. To stop people capital from gaming the system I believe we have to decommodify housing and culturally view it is a human right!

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, this is a cancer which has spread throughout the entire DMV. Are these million-dollar homes? I struggle to see how.

They're townhomes. They're excellent because they provide density yet at the same time they usually give people ownership of the land the house is built on.