fenners

Oct 27, 2017
More atrocious refereeing in
fenners we won, fam

www.austinfc.com

Austin FC Exercises Contract Buyout on Emiliano Rigoni | Austin FC

Austin FC announced on Tuesday that the Club has waived and exercised a Buyout of a Guaranteed Contract on winger Emiliano Rigoni. Rigoni will no longer occupy a Designated Player tag, and he will also no longer occupy a Senior roster spot and International Slot. Furthermore, Rigoni’s wages will no

Oh happy days.

Seriously good news.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Indiana is the worst fucking state with the worst fucking people. It smells like shit and it looks boring as fuck. Everybody hates it. Fuck them.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
still pissed

oh well they're going to keep falling over themselves trying to go MLS

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
No Messi, Suarez, or Busquets making the trip to Vancouver, feel like this is on the MLS schedule makers, there was never a chance in hell they were flying that far.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even realize Miami is home next Wednesday, there was never a chance in hell Messi was making that trip.

Lev

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Anyway, I thought these guys brought up some other good points why this is bad for MLS:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZktPpyRIvA

The schedule was no surprise to the Vancouver Whitecaps and Inter Miami. Inter Miami should have gave a warning at least a month in advance, so families and shit don't plan a whole weekend to come out of town for this match. Also, shame on the Whitecaps for advertising the match as if Messi was actually going to come. What a crock of shit overall and a bad look for the league when its main advertisement (Messi) is getting his salary paid by every club, and yet can decide not to play when they aren't injured.

Inter Miami and the FC Barca boys sure are living up to the negative stereotype about soccer players being soft and pampered. Messi could play for five minutes and that would be enough for a lot of fans. Also, Busquets has zero excuses for not playing. He is in no upcoming international events next month.

Lev

Oct 29, 2017
United States
www.intermiamicf.com

Exciting Update for Tonight’s Youth International Cup | Inter Miami CF

Inter Miami Captain Lionel Messi and striker Luis Suárez will be present to watch tonight’s Opening Ceremony of the Youth International Cup at Chase Stadium. Messi and Suárez, whose lives have centered around the beautiful game for many years, have made it their goal to inspire the next...

Suarez and Messi are going to watch their kids play in this. lmao, piss off.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like they are using this to grift money off non soccer fans who just want to see Messi. Don't know how gouging the fuck out of everyone is a recipe to grow the league.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I thought these guys brought up some other good points why this is bad for MLS:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZktPpyRIvA

The schedule was no surprise to the Vancouver Whitecaps and Inter Miami. Inter Miami should have gave a warning at least a month in advance, so families and shit don't plan a whole weekend to come out of town for this match. Also, shame on the Whitecaps for advertising the match as if Messi was actually going to come. What a crock of shit overall and a bad look for the league when its main advertisement (Messi) is getting his salary paid by every club, and yet can decide not to play when they aren't injured.

Inter Miami and the FC Barca boys sure are living up to the negative stereotype about soccer players being soft and pampered. Messi could play for five minutes and that would be enough for a lot of fans. Also, Busquets has zero excuses for not playing. He is in no upcoming international events next month.
Shame on the MLS, Miami and the Whitecaps for not getting out ahead of this sooner and not having a mitigation strategy in place for an outcome anticipated by many.

Don Taylor, much as I've enjoyed his hockey coverage over the years, is a dinosaur and a typical North American who prefers stereotypes of soccer and soccer players to any amount of nuance. Characterizing this as "soft and arrogant" is silly. This is a structural issue and an inevitability. You've got a 36 yo player who's done it all and has it all and you're asking him to travel 4500km to play the Vancouver Whitecaps in a fairly inconsequential match in the middle of the season, in addition to all the other travel in an MLS season. The risk was always there and if you want to avoid this outcome then you do more to oblige him (eg, contractually) OR you do more to manage fans' expectations and not simply collect their money.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Characterizing this as "soft and arrogant" is silly. This is a structural issue and an inevitability. You've got a 36 yo player who's done it all and has it all and you're asking him to travel 4500km to play the Vancouver Whitecaps in a fairly inconsequential match in the middle of the season, in addition to all the other travel in an MLS season. The risk was always there and if you want to avoid this outcome then you do more to oblige him (eg, contractually) OR you do more to manage fans' expectations and not simply collect their money.

But you literally go on to describe someone acting soft and arrogant lol

He's a member of the team, he's obliged to play when and where the coach tells him, otherwise he is soft and arrogant. That's just how it works. Normal players can't just be like "that game doesn't matter fuck this I'm out". Soft and arrogant super stars can.

Just IMO, I think it's understandable for someone who has done it all to be a little soft and arrogant heading into their retirement years, but that doesn't change what it is, it just explains it

Oct 25, 2017
But you literally go on to describe someone acting soft and arrogant lol

He's a member of the team, he's obliged to play when and where the coach tells him, otherwise he is soft and arrogant. That's just how it works. Normal players can't just be like "that game doesn't matter fuck this I'm out". Soft and arrogant super stars can.

Just IMO, I think it's understandable for someone who has done it all to be a little soft and arrogant heading into their retirement years, but that doesn't change what it is, it just explains it
A bit patronizing, but maybe I need to clarify. I am not interested in a debate about whether Messi is "soft" or "arrogant" and don't even necessarily disagree*. My point is that this is an extraordinary situation so anyone surprised that Messi is being selfish and pulling out of a game like this isn't really being honest or wasn't paying attention. He's the GOAT who's won everything imaginable and has come to North America, like you said, for his retirement years. Remarking that he's "soft" or "arrogant" and pretending like this is due to his nature as a soccer player, rather than the extraordinary circumstances of someone like Messi playing in a league like the MLS is silly. It's just reprimanding Messi to cover for your audience and represent their frustration.

Fun (for me) thought experiment: Wayne Gretzky leaves the NHL at the age of 36 and goes to China to get paid and help grow the game there, but then skips an out of conference game in Chongqing. To me: that's just one game; it's crazy that he's playing in China in the first place. To fans in Chongqing: this is outrageous, we paid to see Gretzky, what arrogance, etc etc.

Like I get it.... but I think in cases like those if the league truly wants/expects a player like that to feature in every away game then you need to include it in their contract or something because what is the incentive otherwise? Miami is first in their conference, strong even without these players, Vancouver is an average team.....I'm pretty confident their teammates are not the least bit bothered. Championship chances do not hang in the balance.

Also fun but irrelevant is just looking at the scale of travel compared to European leagues and how ridiculously distant Vancouver is from Miami in comparison:

E2gc5Q3X0Act7Cc

* Pedantry/debate:
- soft? Nah. Doesn't really apply here and it's just Don Taylor being angry and using a stereotype against soccer players to try and shame Messi
- arrogant? Kinda...? It's also earned and the sort of 'arrogance' that I would have been surprised had we not encountered

I actually think there's a very high chance that Taylor and his family had tickets to the game and he's extremely bummed, but won't say it lol

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
This is obviously an incentive for stadiums to finally ditch artificial turf. Or at least make it good enough that it won't break people's ankles.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Pedantry/debate:
- soft? Nah. Doesn't really apply here and it's just Don Taylor being angry and using a stereotype against soccer players to try and shame Messi
- arrogant? Kinda...? It's also earned and the sort of 'arrogance' that I would have been surprised had we not encountered

I actually think there's a very high chance that Taylor and his family had tickets to the game and he's extremely bummed, but won't say it lol

Yeah, I think we pretty much agree on everything, but my general dislike of people acting like they're better than everyone else makes me less accepting of the behavior, even of someone who IS better than everyone else, even if they've "earned it". Probably mostly a me thing.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Second half of Cincy/Toronto was pure crack from start to finish. 7 straight wins, Miami gets all the attention but if they don't win today Cincinnati will be leading Supporters Shield standings. Pretty good after a slow start.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I think we pretty much agree on everything, but my general dislike of people acting like they're better than everyone else makes me less accepting of the behavior, even of someone who IS better than everyone else, even if they've "earned it". Probably mostly a me thing.
This more on MLS/Vancouver than Inter Miami or Messi. You have 3 games in the space of a week with one of those games being a road one and involving flying pretty far and playing on turf. What I find shameful are how opposing teams are marketing these games against Miami.

Vancouver should be more concerned with how they make their team relevant in the league and for god's sake explore what it will take permanent grass for BC place. I am sure they figure the latter out for the WC.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
The US Women's deaf national team absolutely demolishing Australia 10-0 right now

Edit make that 11-0

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Also as an fyi the USWNT plays Korea Republic in an hour at 5:00 ET/4:00 CT (TNT, truTV, Universo, Max, Peacock).

The women's team is in such an exciting new era with Rodman, Smith, and Shaw at the forefront.

Kordova

Dec 10, 2023
Terra
Orlando has been abysmal compared to last season. We've gotten better since the start but it's been rough. Muriel took forever to score a goal and Gallese made some baffling plays.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
USWNT plays South Korea again tonight in an hour at 8:00 ET/ 7:00 CT (TNT, truTV, Universo, Max, Peacock)

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
This team is just absurd! The olympics are going to be so damn fun. An offensive lineup with Rodman, Swanson, Shaw, and Smith are literally unstoppable.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Starting watching around 30 minutes. Missed the goals.
Bad to be down 2-0. From when I was watching the US at least were doing okay (down 2-0 not surprising to control possession)

Haven't heard Juan pablo angels name in a long time

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Turner always seems shaky to me, for years now.

Even that 1st half play that was blown dead eventually he came out to get the ball but didn't go to ground, and just stood still 1v1 against the attacker and was indecisive.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
What a mistake.

How did Cardoso get picked off there in midfield?
He should've known he was being tracked. Becauae When he received the ball, he was literally facing them.

Several really bad giveaways that could've also been Colombia goals

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I want to see what it looks like with Adams back before I call for GGG's head. Then again, that's also a major problem. If the team can't hold a defensive line without Tyler Adams doing midfield marathons then they really need to fix that and fast.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I can't believe this Federation is gonna waste the greatest generation of talent we've seen to date because they for what ever reason can't quit a bozo that has no business being in the job he's in…..never should have had it.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this Federation is gonna waste the greatest generation of talent we've seen to date because they for what ever reason can't quit a bozo that has no business being in the job he's in…..never should have had it.
It's especially shitty because we're hosting.

That said, and I've been mulling this for a long long time now, but, while this is probably the most talented generation we've ever had, that talent isn't exactly spread evenly amongst the roster. Like I mentioned in my other post, there's a big gap in performance depending on whether or not Tyler Adams is on the field. Or if Christian Pulisic is in the right position. Or any of the other half dozen things.

When this team is completely healthy and on the field they have a decent shot against anyone, but the second that doesn't happen it all falls apart. Part of that is on the coach to fix and account for, but there's only so much to do there. If you put Adams and McKennie next to each other and you've got an incredibly solid midfield duo who can disrupt most teams, but replace one and all of a sudden there's issues. It's the same up top, there's maybe a handful of strikers on the squad who are actively scoring goals for the team.

The difference between the really elite teams and the US right now isn't the best 11, I think that's more than competitive, but the second 11. That's where I think the big issue is and GGG definitely has some blame there, but it's also a sign that while the development pipelines have started to bear fruit that they still have a long way to go.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'll just say that performance, if you can call it that, was some of the worst I've seen in my life. ffs. There was too much walking, standing, holding, dribbling, no midfield, no defense, no running. Jesus. It was almost like the coach said, "Let's play w/o any fundamentals at all, and see how that goes."

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
As much as it will bother the hardcore fans, if the US crash out of Copa America in three games this month its a story for like 24 hours. USSF can then go to the players and say "You wanted Greg and he didn't work out, time to find a new voice" and then get the person that will lead the team for the event that actually matters 24 months later. The only thing USSF should be caring about right now is how to succeed in 2026 IMO.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
It's especially shitty because we're hosting.

That said, and I've been mulling this for a long long time now, but, while this is probably the most talented generation we've ever had, that talent isn't exactly spread evenly amongst the roster. Like I mentioned in my other post, there's a big gap in performance depending on whether or not Tyler Adams is on the field. Or if Christian Pulisic is in the right position. Or any of the other half dozen things.

When this team is completely healthy and on the field they have a decent shot against anyone, but the second that doesn't happen it all falls apart. Part of that is on the coach to fix and account for, but there's only so much to do there. If you put Adams and McKennie next to each other and you've got an incredibly solid midfield duo who can disrupt most teams, but replace one and all of a sudden there's issues. It's the same up top, there's maybe a handful of strikers on the squad who are actively scoring goals for the team.

The difference between the really elite teams and the US right now isn't the best 11, I think that's more than competitive, but the second 11. That's where I think the big issue is and GGG definitely has some blame there, but it's also a sign that while the development pipelines have started to bear fruit that they still have a long way to go.
There's a great podcast interview with Bruce Arena from the other day and part of it is him saying hands down that the 2002ers would beat this team. And I have to agree.

The thing is being on the brink of Copa, if things go well there then this was just a tune up. And it's not like our Concacaf pals didn't also just eat shit. But this did not FEEL like a tune up when you looked at that XI and so…

Turner in particular, dude has had a rough year. I maintain that he was the right decision for the WC in 22 but he clearly needs the right environment and the fickleness of Forest isn't it.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
I'm gonna keep griping on how terrible Berhalter has been and why he should be out as coach.

USMNT under Berhalter has struggles away in Concacaf, with only 3 wins in 12 matches (Honduras, Cuba, Grenada). They haven't beaten a top-25 non-Concacaf team since 2019, with only 3 wins in 14 matches against South American & European teams (Ecuador, Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina).

Also, calling up players without consistent playing time in their clubs, regardless of their training environment, seems, to me, to be affecting the teams performance.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna keep griping on how terrible Berhalter has been and why he should be out as coach.

USMNT under Berhalter has struggles away in Concacaf, with only 3 wins in 12 matches (Honduras, Cuba, Grenada). They haven't beaten a top-25 non-Concacaf team since 2019, with only 3 wins in 14 matches against South American & European teams (Ecuador, Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina).

Also, calling up players without consistent playing time in their clubs, regardless of their training environment, seems, to me, to be affecting the teams performance.

Yea I think this is all accurate. I don't even think the WC was BAD but I would have liked to see more if he was going to be rehired

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017

You were quick janusff! Literally first heard about this from you ahah
It has seemed like an inevitability for the past few weeks, drawing against Minnesota's B-squad in our usual snooze-fest style must have been the final straw. It's just a boring, losing product we're putting on the field. Guess we'll see where we go from here, but I can't imagine it could get any worse 😬

All things considered I'm shocked that Luchi Gonzalez up in San Jose held onto his gig longer than Nico.

millsaps05

May 21, 2022
There's a great podcast interview with Bruce Arena from the other day and part of it is him saying hands down that the 2002ers would beat this team. And I have to agree.

The thing is being on the brink of Copa, if things go well there then this was just a tune up. And it's not like our Concacaf pals didn't also just eat shit. But this did not FEEL like a tune up when you looked at that XI and so…

Turner in particular, dude has had a rough year. I maintain that he was the right decision for the WC in 22 but he clearly needs the right environment and the fickleness of Forest isn't it.

I agree with Arena to an extent because the 2002 team had a better mix of dynamic young talent (Donovan, Beasley), grizzled veterans (Agoos, Stewart, etc.), and players in their prime (McBride, Reyna, etc.). This current team is maybe more talented on a player - to - player basis but is really lacking that veteran leadership (aside from a player like Tim Ream) that the 2002 team had. That "lost generation" of US players is still impacting this team beyond the what happened in failing to qualify for 2018 WC.

However, it has to be noted that the 2022 team accumulated more pts in the group stage than the 2002 team (though it can be easily argued the 2022 group was weaker), and we got the MOST favorable match-up possible with Mexico in the R16 allowing us to get to the Quarters. Not to take anything away from that team or the QF performance which was on of the few times I have ever seen the US actually outplay a soccer power in a major tournament (Damn you Frings!).

Also, Arena has lost a lot of credibility late in his career with me due to him leading the debacle that was that night in T&T in 2018 and the way he handled his entire tenure during that cycle.

My take on GGG is simple. This team's talent and potential has a higher ceiling than GGG does as a coach. Ultimately he is limited and that limitation will hold this team back.