• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
What a pass by Reyna.
Good adjustment by Wright after a fairly poor touch.

Good goal because Jamaica was getting way too much space for some reason 🤷‍♀️

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
The players opinions obviously are more important than fans, but watching the team under Berhalter is awful the majority of the time. Results are nothing special either. Sucks that he is the choice going into Copa then WC on home soil.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
The players opinions obviously are more important than fans, but watching the team under Berhalter is awful the majority of the time. Results are nothing special either. Sucks that he is the choice going into Copa then WC on home soil.

I recently read an ESPN article recently that touted Gregg Berhalter as the statistically best USMNT coach based on goals scored and conceded per game. But I think there's stuff that needs to be pointed out though.

* Strength of Victories: While Berhalter boasts impressive goal-related statistics, the most significant win came against a struggling Mexico team. The USMNT hasn't defeated a team ranked in the FIFA Top 15 under his leadership.

* Inflated Stats: The high-scoring games tend to be against lower-ranked opponents. This raises questions about whether the stats accurately reflect the team's performance against tougher competition.

* Player Feedback: There are mixed opinions on Berhalter. Players appreciate his transparency, but some have criticized his overly complex game plans and questionable tactics. Additionally, there have been concerns about his willingness to adapt and potential favoritism towards certain players.

Berhalter seems good with the players, but the team's tactics need work. Maybe a separate coach for tactics could help the US team win more.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Berhalter does not have a result in his record like the 90 CC win over Spain. And I do not believe he does; I think that's becoming more apparent over time. What a waste last year was.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, bit of a bummer of a season for my son to be old enough and decide he is into watching soccer (we're Sounders fans).

I was trying to tell him last night that we usually have a mid-season slump and hopefully we are just doing it early this year and now that guys are starting to come back from injury things should get better. Honestly holding that ridiculous Galaxy offense to just 1 was better than I was I expecting (I had predicted a 3-1 loss).

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Looks like there's finally some movement for a new stadium for the Revs:

Here are renderings of the soccer stadium the Revolution want to build in Everett

Before any stadium building (or formal proposals) can begin, legislation must be passed to remove the area's port designation.

How's the transit for Everett?
Poor, but the general idea is that they'll complete the pedestrian footbridge from Assembly so folks will walk over from the orange line at Assembly or the red line from Sullivan. A SSS with T access would be huge. There will reportedly be extremely limited parking which makes sense given the area, so south shore/RI supporters aren't very pleased but it makes sense to move forward.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder that the US Open Cup is in round 3 right now!
NPSL team El Farolito SC takes on Oakland Roots in about ten minutes. Theyre one of the few remaining amateur teams left in the tournament.
https://www.youtube.com/live/4hIgb-rxdJ8?si=8fL6Ed80t-QdaMjW

View: https://x.com/opencup/status/1780229490125250740?s=46&t=5zkglngyIeNRdQ0Zva_0yA

Not only do I hope El Farolito win, but if they can run the Roots ragged to make Saturday better for me I'd appreciate it :D

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Not only do I hope El Farolito win, but if they can run the Roots ragged to make Saturday better for me I'd appreciate it :D
It was close :(

But with Lubbock Matadors and El Farolito knocked out last night the only remaining amateur team in the tournament is Miami United. They play Memphis 901 tonight at 7:30 ET/6:30 CT:
https://www.youtube.com/live/CsuaVEkG9Xo?si=JaMvR41YXMQ4jrNk

Hopefully all these links work but here are all of the remaining third round matches (TONIGHT!) for anyone interested in watching:

7:00 ET/6:00 CT
North Carolina FC (USLC) v Carolina Core (MLS Next Pro)
https://www.youtube.com/live/DY70xjf3dUg?si=EP_qdkjbZKKxHcOH
Hartford Athletic (USLC) v NYCFC II (MLS Next Pro)
https://www.youtube.com/live/1-067YT3Vz0?si=Z3C9uLTnmUbvG2IX
Richmond Kickers (USL1) v Loudoun United FC (USLC)
https://www.youtube.com/live/hPkdXZTE0bk?si=YCPnDOTApY-5JE2n

7:30 ET/6:30 CT
Miami FC (USLC) v South Georgia Tormenta FC (USL1)
https://www.youtube.com/live/W_dlWQkSLwQ?si=6I3ABy9tD_NGZzjL
Memphis 901 FC (USLC) v Miami United (NPSL)
https://www.youtube.com/live/CsuaVEkG9Xo?si=sdfS8dh-VXMUBXE-

8:00 ET/7:00 CT
FC Tulsa (USLC) v Northern Colorado Hailstorm FC (USL1)
https://www.youtube.com/live/L2NjGADmUKc?si=GKD0EKQgWElasTr6
Chicago Fire FC II (MLS Next Pro) v Indy Eleven (USLC)
https://www.youtube.com/live/WiNp0gdZm9M?si=bYRf0f0Dh73xL_HR
Union Omaha (USL1) v El Paso Locomotive FC (USLC)
https://www.youtube.com/live/RrWEezcnIWM?si=D1X5lEC2EdKtvINa
Birmingham Legion FC (USLC) v Chattanooga Red Wolves SC (USL1)
https://www.youtube.com/live/NNMLmhxglmM?si=fN7Ff-Qo329grWYB

10:30 ET/9:30 CT
Monterey Bay FC (USLC) v Irvine Zeta (NISA)
https://www.youtube.com/live/Kk2AT6LEW7c?si=xzxQuIAR2HRErBqL
Las Vegas Lights (USLC) v Spokane Velocity (USL1)
https://www.youtube.com/live/Cg_Iq1ctZQo?si=7x0B0iI8leVP_Mac

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Yea we pasted Oakland 3-1 today honestly should've been more, thanks El Farolito!

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Rigoni, a total waste of a slot so far for Austin, stole that three points against Houston. Total robbery.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly true.

If Indianapolis ever gets an MLS team it won't be Indy Eleven moving up. Indy Eleven's owners would never be able to cover that gargantuan expansion fee on their own. They would have to find enough wealthy investors to join them but to get the investment amount needed to clear a 500+ million hurdle would leave the current ownership group with like a 1% stake or something minuscule like that when the dust settles lol.
And at that point all those big new money bags--if they truly wanted to get their paws in the MLS pot--would rather start from scratch with total control than to take over a team they probably view as "lesser than."

It was honestly boneheaded of the mayor to come out with this. MLS teams coming to town have spelled bad news for whatever USL teams are there, so naturally just a hint in the air of MLS coming to town would gives folks cold feet on building a massive complex for a USL team. Even one that's already broken ground! So it was stupid for him to come out and talk about filing an application when the road from here to there is so long and costly and unguaranteed that I have a hard time seeing it actually coming to fruition. So all it could be doing is undermining an already good thing they have going with one of the bigger USL teams.

Watch MLS toss them an MLS Next Pro team instead.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I used to go back and forth about it but I really wish there was relegation/promotion with USL and MLS. It'll probably never happen but I wish it would.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly true.

If Indianapolis ever gets an MLS team it won't be Indy Eleven moving up. Indy Eleven's owners would never be able to cover that gargantuan expansion fee on their own. They would have to find enough wealthy investors to join them but to get the investment amount needed to clear a 500+ million hurdle would leave the current ownership group with like a 1% stake or something minuscule like that when the dust settles lol.
And at that point all those big new money bags--if they truly wanted to get their paws in the MLS pot--would rather start from scratch with total control than to take over a team they probably view as "lesser than."

It was honestly boneheaded of the mayor to come out with this. MLS teams coming to town have spelled bad news for whatever USL teams are there, so naturally just a hint in the air of MLS coming to town would gives folks cold feet on building a massive complex for a USL team. Even one that's already broken ground! So it was stupid for him to come out and talk about filing an application when the road from here to there is so long and costly and unguaranteed that I have a hard time seeing it actually coming to fruition. So all it could be doing is undermining an already good thing they have going with one of the bigger USL teams.

Watch MLS toss them an MLS Next Pro team instead.
After Sacramento, nobody should be lining up to give them shit, especially from taxpayers. The kinds of ownership they're seeking now have more than enough money to get in wherever they want to be.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I used to go back and forth about it but I really wish there was relegation/promotion with USL and MLS. It'll probably never happen but I wish it would.
I'm with you, but I only see MLS adopting pro/rel through a completely false simulacrum of it using MLS Next Pro. Gives them full control and zero risk.

Even if they never do that specifically, I think it's clear they're positioning MLS Next Pro to eat USL's whole lunch, which sucks. From what I've heard MLS is pushing teams to begin giving their reserve teams unique brand identities separate from their parent teams (So no more Austin FC II, Orlando City B, etc.) And they want them to serve markets separate from their parent team, but not further than 100 miles away. For example, FC Dallas's reserve team North Texas SC is getting a soccer specific stadium in Mansfield TX, which is on the exact opposite corner of the DFW metropolitan area from where FC Dallas plays. If that all does indeed happen, I would not be surprised to see MLS eventually secure Division II sanctioning for MLS Next Pro as they move to establish it as its own 'thing.'

Every MLS team is expected to eventually field a reserve team for MLS Next Pro, so that's 29 teams built in right there. They could probably get away with setting up a 40-60 team league within MLSNP's four divisions (Frontier, Pacific, Northeast, and Southeast) if they really wanted. That could mean either gobbling up or pulling the rug out from under dozens of USL teams in all the markets MLS isn't already in.

The monster capitalism demands infinite growth, and I think MLS is done adding expansion teams after the 30th slot (which I'm convinced will eventually be Las Vegas).

Last edited:

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking purely from a perspective of what would benefit MLS trying to develop a stranglehold, they should have bought USL instead of obtaining FC Cincinnati. Now USL has developed further and has its own owned pro league under itself which I do expect to start doing pro/rel from sooner or later. (I think MLS tries to EVENTUALLY split MLSNP in two to do pro/rel there. But the jump from MLSNP to MLS is just too confounding. Very few USL clubs could do it even now, to say nothing of the need to restructure their entire business to be built around being a franchisee.)
Could MLS still acquire the league and make overtures for the clubs? Possibly but they clearly think trying to kill it off is the easier and cheaper path.

I do not see how Garber and friends have witnessed the development of greater soccer fandom (beyond immigrant communities) in this country and think they are barking up the right trees. Every year the club I support survives we are all well aware that we aren't supposed to have a next year if they have their way, and yet. MLS doesn't break through beyond its existing fan base because it's *too* sanitized, it's *too* unbalanced financially within the same teams…it's just too much of a product to convince people who can go with Liga MX or the Premier League or whatnot.

[editor's note: the author of this post never wants to see or hear the word "Detroit" anywhere near or attributable to, Don Garber ever again]

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm with you, but I only see MLS adopting pro/rel through a completely false simulacrum of it using MLS Next Pro. Gives them full control and zero risk.

Even if they never do that specifically, I think it's clear they're positioning MLS Next Pro to eat USL's whole lunch, which sucks. From what I've heard MLS is pushing teams to begin giving their reserve teams unique brand identities separate from their parent teams (So no more Austin FC II, Orlando City B, etc.) And they want them to serve markets separate from their parent team, but not further than 100 miles away. For example, FC Dallas's reserve team North Texas SC is getting a soccer specific stadium in Mansfield TX, which is on the exact opposite corner of the DFW metropolitan area from where FC Dallas plays. If that all does indeed happen, I would not be surprised to see MLS eventually secure Division II sanctioning for MLS Next Pro as they move to establish it as its own 'thing.'

Every MLS team is expected to eventually field a reserve team for MLS Next Pro, so that's 29 teams built in right there. They could probably get away with setting up a 40-60 team league within MLSNP's four divisions (Frontier, Pacific, Northeast, and Southeast) if they really wanted. That could mean either gobbling up or pulling the rug out from under dozens of USL teams in all the markets MLS isn't already in.

The monster capitalism demands infinite growth, and I think MLS is done adding expansion teams after the 30th slot (which I'm convinced will eventually be Las Vegas).
Yeah you're right. Great post. Heard the same thing too about the second teams needing to change names (rip FCito). Bummer innit

Thing is I don't think mls next pro is anywhere near the caliber as their first teams, in regards to talent. And I bet the majority of USL teams, if given the opportunity, would absolutely destroy any of those next pro teams on the pitch. Which kinda makes it more tragic, USL potentially being on the outs.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to have a relegation system when most of the top home grown talent skips town as teenagers for Europe
It's not just that, it's also that the game isn't as big over here and teams might not stay big enough if they get relegated. Also that teams in smaller markets that move up won't be able to compete.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just that, it's also that the game isn't as big over here and teams might not stay big enough if they get relegated. Also that teams in smaller markets that move up won't be able to compete.

I mean neither can the Sounders this season maybe promoting some scrub teams will help 😭😭😭

Oh wait, someone would have to get relegated to promote those scrubs! Lemme cry even harder 😭😭😭😭😭😭