Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please pardon my Google Translate skills, since the original article is in portuguese.

Tourist accused of racism after offending black employees at museum in Rio

Even at the police station, American Antony Barrow continued with preposterous speech against police officers; in note, MAR says that 'racists will not pass'

RIO - A case of racism committed by a foreigner has angered officials at the Rio Art Museum in Praça Mauá, Rio's Port Area. According to reports from witnesses and one of the victims, the tourist sought reception at around 10 a.m. Wednesday, wanting information. However, when he was received by black officials, he refused to talk.

"In English, I asked if I needed help. He moved, ignoring my presence. He turned his back to me and said, "I do not want blacks," said student Elian Almeida, 24, who works as an educator at the museum and was one of the victims. "I was shocked," I asked again, and he repeated, "No, blacks." So I said I was going to call the police and he left the museum.

Rafael Martins, who works in the monitoring of the museum and witnessed the crime, said that before refusing to talk to Almeida, the tourist had already refused to be attended by another employee, Sanny Gomes, 21, who monitors of the external arts of the SEA.

"My reaction was one of total indignation, but I could not do anything. The Elian rushed to call the nearest authority, and Sanny's reaction was to cry", Martins reported of the episode.

The employee, who recently completed a month working in the museum, is in her first job and never imagined that she could go through a situation like this.

"Today, in the 21st century, going through this is something that hurts me, but at the same time gives me strength to follow and see what I have to do. My crying was very angry, but it motivates me to continue. We will not stop here", said Sanny.

Tourist still refused to talk to black police officers

Even in the police station, in front of the police, the tourist continued with his racist speeches. Fábio Lisboa, a military police officer for four years, said that the foreigner was without documents and continued saying that he did not want to be approached by black people.

"When we went to take him to the cell, a fellow who is brown with lighter skin made the magazine. When I went to talk to him, he repeated: "no black people" - said the policeman. "I've never been in a situation like that"

Because he was without documents, the tourist was identified only as Antony Barrow, native of the United States, and appears to be about 35 years old. He would be staying at the Hotel Barão de Tefé, located in front of the ruins of the Valongo Pier, in Gamboa, which was once the main port of entry for Africans enslaved in the Americas and one of the points of the Historic Circuit of the Celebration of African Heritage in the Port Zone .

'Racists will not pass', museum says
xturista_racismo_mar.jpg.pagespeed.ic.18xTKvei7o.jpg

Damn.
I wonder how common cases like this are and if there are any consequences to them.
Racism is very much alive in Brazil.

Portuguese source: https://oglobo.globo.com/sociedade/...negros-em-museu-no-rio-23103963#ixzz5SGrYieT4
Spanish source: https://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/2...urista-estadounidense-por-actos-racistas.html

Last edited:

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Seems an odd country to go to if you don't want to talk to black people. Of course he's from the US too.

He might prefer Vermont for his next vacation.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
We should really build a wall, and force a harder travel ban. Can't let out White Americans out of their natural habitat.

Oct 27, 2017
How does one even survive if you refuse to talk to a black man -- in a service field. Nowhere is quite that white. You walk into a McDonald's and the guy at the register is black -- do you just leave?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I've heard Brazil is fine, but places like Portugal the internal racism is not so great either. Is this true or just made up?
"Internal" racism is still a huge issue in Brazil. What I meant is that there are maybe two or three cities in the entire country in which you'd be able to go on with your life without interacting directly with persons of color.

Oct 27, 2017
"Internal" racism is still a huge issue in Brazil. What I meant is that there are maybe two or three cities in the entire country in which you'd be able to go on with your life without interacting directly with persons of color.

Wow. I always wanted to visit Rio and see the Christ statue, but I was worried being black, I might encounter some idiots.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Wow. I always wanted to visit Rio and see the Christ statue, but I was worried being black, I might encounter some idiots.
As a tourist, you probably wouldn't be mistreated at all in any big city. It's mostly poor locals who suffer from it. Same as anywhere else, really - which is particularly stupid here seeing as how almost all Brazilians are of mixed heritage.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
There are places you can go if you want to minimize interactions with us scary black people....but Brazil aint one of them. Like fuck, how stupid do you have to be to think there are no POC in Brazil?

Deleted member 19739

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe he is a wanted man, and this was an elaborate way for him to get arrested and hopefully deported back to US? I don't know just trying to come up with something, since it really makes no sense to act like this. Then again, racists aren't exactly the smartest bunch

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta admit it's ballsy(lack of brain is the more correct answer though) , not only showing off your rascists views in another country, but also in Brazil? i don't know how farspread rascism is in Brazil, but I would assume shit like that in wrong places could end up real bad for you?

Oct 27, 2017
You get in your car and try the drive thru.
What if the voice coming thru the speaker sounds white but, when you get to the window, he's black. And it's one of those two window type deals. So there is a car in front of you and you can't just drive away.

Now that I think about it, the answer to all my questions is probably just that the racist asshole would yell a racism epithet. Racist reality ruined my fun theoretical.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
This reminds me of Tourist that I see in Taiwan, Hong Kong and other area that get mad, when store employee, taxi driver or other people don't speak English.