• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pyccko

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
pretty good self-own (cellphone?)

almost as good as bean dad, but I don't think anything will dethrone that one

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
This is the official deportation letter.

Maybe someone could translate it. But the point is she's getting deported.

This is actually embarassing statement,wow I really dont know how they fucked up this so badly. The statement made it seem like the main issue this person deported is because misinformatiom about bali is friendly to LGBTA+ and almost nothing about tax fraud.. this actually enrage me, who wrote this.

Thanks now we're the international media laughing stock I guess.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
This story made me think of the gated communities in many South East Asian countries made up of mostly expats, often ex-military personnel from places like the US or the UK, who treat the locals solely as cleaners, maids and trophy wives. They live the high life exploiting these countries with their retirement money that wouldn't get them anywhere in their home countries. I've seen this with my own eyes. Most of them are white but some of them are POC, and all of them are equally shitty people. Western POC can be just as imperialist as Western white people. Some people on this forum have a very naive view of the world.
I hate that people do this. I can't imagine moving to a different country and basically hiding off in a bubble of ppl who are basically from your own country. I wouldn't move anywhere where I wouldn't wanna live with the locals.

Like sure if you can afford a nice place get it, but don't join a community full of foreigners basically blocking off and exploiting the actual locals. It's possible to live nice in a different without doing any of that horrible shit.

Are we not allowed to question whether or not laws make sense?

If it's so important to keep visitors out that you would punish individuals for inviting visitors, then why are the borders open? It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm aware her visa overstay is another reason she is being deported, that seems legitimate.
I think foreigners can only enter in a investment or business visa right now.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally I know several people who have quit nice jobs in major US cities and have been living in Bali for the past 5 years.

Its really cheap, they work enough there to set up crazy trips and then post about it on FB and instagram.

I never really thought of the consequences for the people in Bali and just wondered what it would be like to pick up everything and move to another country like that.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
To clarify I don't have an issue with her being kicked out since she overstayed her visa. It's the "endangering public safety" offense that seems trumped up and unnecessary when they already have perfectly legitimate grounds to kick her out

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah dunno why they feel the need to include the LGBTA friendliness as one of the main issues. The immigration side totally missed the point. Some of the replies even pointed that out.

Balinese people in my experience has always been more open and friendly anyways.

To clarify I don't have an issue with her being kicked out since she overstayed her visa. It's the "endangering public safety" offense that seems trumped up and unnecessary when they already have perfectly legitimate grounds to kick her out

According to the letter above she actually just extended her visa till January 24th. She's being deported because she misused her tourist visa and "endangering public safety" I suppose. Our officials are quick to respond to internet storms lol.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
Seems silly that "inviting people to Bali during a pandemic" is an offense if the information she was providing was describing a legal process. If you don't want foreigners visiting during a pandemic then just ban travel, doesn't that make more sense

er, yes. there is a total travel ban right now.
I would likened what they currently doing to people that advertise and coach people on how to get into US as a refugee (even though they are not one).

According to the letter above she actually just extended her visa till January 24th. She's being deported because she misused her tourist visa and "endangering public safety" I suppose. Our officials are quick to respond to internet storms lol.

she first came in in Jan 2020, and just extended their visa in Dec. so she already overstayed for a couple of months by that time. curiously , it was only extended till 24th Jan 2021, so she should know that she will need to leave soon, unless she have no plan of leaving and just plans to overstay again,

Last edited:

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Anecdotally I know several people who have quit nice jobs in major US cities and have been living in Bali for the past 5 years.

Its really cheap, they work enough there to set up crazy trips and then post about it on FB and instagram.

I never really thought of the consequences for the people in Bali and just wondered what it would be like to pick up everything and move to another country like that.
It goes beyond that, simply going to Bali for a week-long vacation as implications and consequences to the natives. Bali exists to cater to white or East Asian tourists. Any developing country city/province/area like that will exploit local population for tourism to an extent.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

She is claiming that she did not overstay her visa and is being deported for "LGBT"? I'm assuming that she means either that she's being targeted for being LGBT or for speaking about Indonesia as an LGBT-friendly country

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Ironically, this backlash will probably work significantly in her favor, because way more people will buy her ebook due to the visibility this is getting.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I dont really agree with the way she avoids tax or something, but when she says that bali is lgbt friendly. No.. as a gay guy who once visits there, bali is not lgbt friendly

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017

She is claiming that she did not overstay her visa and is being deported for "LGBT"? I'm assuming that she means either that she's being targeted for being LGBT or for speaking about Indonesia as an LGBT-friendly country

yeah, mentioning LGBT at all in their official press release is a moronic move by the immigration authority. Not at all surprising sadly.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Ironically, this backlash will probably work significantly in her favor, because way more people will buy her ebook due to the visibility this is getting.
She gonna seen as hero, she a queer colored women that deported by backward ass country just for being sexual minority. Shit fucked up

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
She gonna seen as hero, she a queer colored women that deported by backward ass country just for being sexual minority. Shit fucked up
Are you saying this as if it's fact or that you think it will be perceived that way. Because no one who has been paying attention will ever perceive this as anything but an idiot receiving instant karma.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
This story made me think of the gated communities in many South East Asian countries made up of mostly expats, often ex-military personnel from places like the US or the UK, who treat the locals solely as cleaners, maids and trophy wives. They live the high life exploiting these countries with their retirement money that wouldn't get them anywhere in their home countries. I've seen this with my own eyes. Most of them are white but some of them are POC, and all of them are equally shitty people. Western POC can be just as imperialist as Western white people. Some people on this forum have a very naive view of the world.

Yup. I'm reminded of a similar thing.

Knew some old friends from different backgrounds/nationalites who grew up in one of the gulf countries in the Middle East.

My English friends who lived there often reminisce on "The Good Ol' Days" of living in their luxury bubble going camping in the desert, jetskiing, exploring nature, partying by the beach, exploring the local markets, little quaint things like "eating shawarma" and telling tales of how they got away with things(some frowned upon but some illegal under local laws like public drinking/pretending to be sober in front of cops, breaking/entering, mockery of local customs). Their stories and gated community lives seem so detached from reality based on myself and my other friend's (who weren't British) opinion. The weirdest part is that the English friends didn't even understand or acknowledged how detached they were from what really happens in the city/country or how others were treated or how their definition of how the country is "awesome, magical, luxurious" is completely alien to anyone that isn't Western and doesn't really represent an accurate portrayal of the country/city. They are simply happy and content with their bizarre naive notion of what the country/city was to them and that's it.

Last edited:

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
She can't live in Bali anymore at least

But of all the reasons why she is deported err the main reason because she is a part of lgbtq is pretty unsettling to me. I mean she has other reasons to get punished by law, but why being an lgbtq especially listed as the main reason? I dont know how to say about this, I dont think i can recommend people to come to bali even after pandemic

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
But of all the reasons why she is deported err the main reason because she is a part of lgbtq is pretty unsettling to me. I mean she has other reasons to get punished by law, but why being an lgbtq especially listed as the main reason? I dont know how to say about this, I dont think i can recommend people to come to bali even after pandemic
yeah, I'm not sure why they even brought that up. Really strange.

I definitely wouldn't have reccomend anywhere in Indonesia as LGBT friendly , like even if touristy areas technically are, the actual country isnt.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
LOL I didn't even notice that. Can anyone translate?
basically:
Immigration claim that she is spreading misinformation that could cause restless in society (sic)
1. She said that Bali is an LGBTQ friendly place
2. She said that it is easy to travel to Bali during the pandemic

Additionally she is breaking the term of her visa by selling ebook and starting paid consultancy business

clown stuffs

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
LOL I didn't even notice that. Can anyone translate?
Head of the Bali office for the Ministry of Law and Human Rights, Jamaruli Manihuruk, said in a statement that official investigation found that the digital nomad, who the office identified as US citizen Kristen Gray, may have violated a number of immigration laws, including "spreading information that could unsettle the public," such as Bali being queer-friendly and suggesting that foreigners can enter Indonesia during the pandemic.

You can read that two ways, the first being what I think was meant - "How dare you encourage more LGBT individuals come here! We don't want you or them!" or the second, "Encouraging LGBT members to come to Bali puts them in danger since Bali is in no way shape or form friendly to them."

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
You can read that two ways, the first being what I think was meant - "How dare you encourage more LGBT individuals come here! We don't want you or them!" or the second, "Encouraging LGBT members to come to Bali puts them in danger since Bali is in no way shape or form friendly to them."
It's a bit of both. Bali's handling of LGBTQ+ is out of the norm in Indonesia.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two things:

1) I don't know how useful an ebook about going to Bali is when the author was kicked out...

2) The reason she felt she could do whatever, and why NullPointerException had that experience with friends is, I feel related to why she claimed Bali was LGBTQ-friendly.

People go to these countries and paint it to be better than their home country by way of comparison. They don't know the history, culture, or pressures. They just assume "oh, it's different" and think they can do/be whatever. Very "grass is greener" attitude.

Like a person on a mission trip, their ignorance make them feel like they're being praised, or that they're doing all the right things, etc. But their reality couldn't be any further from the experience of people who live there.

...You'll also see this with people who come to America and become successful, tbh. They don't see the issues that we would from living here the whole time.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Plenty of Americans on these forums, white or not, shrug off the shitty impact the US and Americans have on the world. POC in the US will fight for their lives but will gladly throw the lives of POC outside of their hemisphere under the bus. A Westerner is a Westerner and they will do what they do best: Exploit and destroy.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Oh yeah, the attitudes of expats (especially in relatively poorer East Asian/Southeast Asian countries) can be horrifying. Obviously, #notallexpats, I know some people who move there with genuine respect and eventually grow to love their new country, but it does seem like there's a ton of them that take advantage of a) being Western [privilege socially] and b) the exchange rates [privilege economically], and end up treating the locals as expendable poor. The stereotype is a western white male, but I have no doubt it's people of all identities.

Let's not even get started on sexpats. I just had breakfast.

Plenty of Americans on these forums, white or not, shrug off the shitty impact the US and Americans have on the world. POC in the US will fight for their lives but will gladly throw the lives of POC outside of their hemisphere under the bus. A Westerner is a Westerner and they will do what they do best: Exploit and destroy.

Yeah it's something we're still working on. To be fair, it's kinda like this in every country.

Honestly as long as you're respectful, it's probably not a big deal. Like, don't break/flaunt local laws, don't be obnoxious, don't exploit the locals, don't make a youtube series about how exotic the country is and how "weird" everyone there is ("10 WEIRD things that are totally normal here" videos and such), etc.

People can and do immigrate all the time. Nothing wrong with that.

Yup. I'm reminded of a similar thing.

Knew some old friends from different backgrounds/nationalites who grew up in one of the gulf countries in the Middle East.

My English friends who lived there often reminisce on "The Good Ol' Days" of living in their luxury bubble going camping in the desert, jetskiing, exploring nature, partying by the beach, exploring the local markets, little quaint things like "eating shawarma" and telling tales of how they got away with things(some frowned upon but some illegal under local laws like public drinking/pretending to be sober in front of cops, breaking/entering, mockery of local customs). Their stories and gated community lives seem so detached from reality based on myself and my other friend's (who weren't British) opinion. The weirdest part is that the English friends didn't even understand or acknowledged how detached they were from what really happens in the city/country or how others were treated or how their definition of how the country is "awesome, magical, luxurious" is completely alien to anyone that isn't Western and doesn't really represent an accurate portrayal of the country/city. They are simply happy and content with their bizarre naive notion of what the country/city was to them and that's it.

lol, this in HK, China, India, Africa etc., too. Major side eye from me when that shit gets romanticized.

This is actually embarassing statement,wow I really dont know how they fucked up this so badly. The statement made it seem like the main issue this person deported is because misinformatiom about bali is friendly to LGBTA+ and almost nothing about tax fraud.. this actually enrage me, who wrote this.

Can you translate it for us?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly as long as you're respectful, it's probably not a big deal. Like, don't break/flaunt local laws, don't be obnoxious, don't exploit the locals, don't make a youtube series about how exotic the country is and how "weird" everyone there is ("10 WEIRD things that are totally normal here" videos and such), etc.

People can and do immigrate all the time. Nothing wrong with that.
That is how I look at it.

One of my friends from high school lives there and while he is enjoying his life he is also constantly try to raise money for schools in Bali over the internet.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's just liberal identity politics doing it's thing. Class is never taken in the equation, and people like her are some of the most privileged economic classes on earth.

Oct 27, 2017
Can you translate it for us?

First paragraph lays out the basics, including the tweets and her ebook. Also she was apparently offering consultations for $50.

Goes on to describe the authorities' investigation.

Then the charges against her: spreading inciting information (I'm not sure what the proper legal term is) in claiming that Bali is 1) queer-friendly and 2) easily entered even during the pandemic. Also her ebook and consultation business.

Then goes on to describe the punishment ie. detention and deportation.

I'll agree with fertygo here. Having the queer-friendly thing as a sticking point is really weird and it really obscures the actual problem. I think it might play well with a lot of my countrymen, though, unfortunately.

Either way, it's good that she's being deported.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
First paragraph lays out the basics, including the tweets and her ebook. Also she was apparently offering consultations for $50.

Goes on to describe the authorities' investigation.

Then the charges against her: spreading inciting information (I'm not sure what the proper legal term is) in claiming that Bali is 1) queer-friendly and 2) easily entered even during the pandemic. Also her ebook and consultation business.

Then goes on to describe the punishment ie. detention and deportation.

I'll agree with fertygo here. Having the queer-friendly thing as a sticking point is really weird and it really obscures the actual problem. I think it might play well with a lot of my countrymen, though, unfortunately.

Either way, it's good that she's being deported.
It's good she's being deported, and also good that the authorities showed their asses and now people know it's an unwelcoming, hateful place.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017

Yep. Seriously, i think inviting people during pandemic and offering consultation on how to cheat the system is good enough reason to deport her.

Anyway, this westerner also made it hard for local LGBTQ in Indonesia.

addik

Oct 28, 2017

Ding ding ding.

Southeast Asian here (Philippines) and I really had a lot of thoughts on this, and I was especially triggered by the mean tweets directed to Indonesians for calling the woman out. I know much has been said on the nuances of the issue--that her being black and queer must have made the backlash worse than it should be since this doesn't seem to happen to white men exploiting SE Asia(which as an SE Asian, I disagree. White immigrants exploiting our country have been the butt of our jokes. How could anyone forget Rose and that no-neck guy in 30-Day Fiance?). I just hate the fact that the moment we have something to say about the exploitation of the west of our natural resources, it is being reframed as we are the offensive party here when it is our local economy being pillaged. I have literally seen the cities I've lived in bend backward to create areas in the center for Westerners and making those areas generally inaccessible to the mass public and somehow I should feel offended when I call people out? Yes, there is a conversation to be had about racism and homophobia, but why are people so quick to reorient that discussion toward that, when Indonesians raised legitimate points that are worth discussing about?

I know there's been official communication from the forum staff about this, but as a Southeast Asian who sympathize with the Indonesians and who are also witness and victim to the same type of exploitation and oppression, I just have to put my thoughts out there.

Also as a bisexual who knows closeted people in Indonesia, it's been mentioned in this thread, but Indonesia is nowhere near queer-friendly. Bali is a bit more open but I've still heard stories. I'm actually not surprised how the official PR mentions her being LGBT as part of the reason why she is being deported. This tweet actually explains the issue further:

The first half of her thread also discusses the issue of racism here and how it didn't come to play:

Anyway, this westerner also made it hard for local LGBTQ in Indonesia.

I also feel like this is a point worth talking about and isn't being raised particularly enough.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm understanding of the backlash this is getting but people need to be aware that this is going to continue happening at a growing rate, more rapidly than before. Americans and other Westerners taking their earning potential abroad because covid-19 has made working remotely much easier and more normalized.

Not only does it allow, no, damn near promote this kind of behavior in people (take their money and go where they can live much higher lifestyle), but it removes job opportunities from people who are still living in those pricier areas who need that higher income to survive.

We as a world really are going to have to recon with this in the coming years.

Not when you can get deported and cancelled as fast as these couple have. If they didn't brag about it and try and grift their opportunity in the first place they wouldn't be on the next plane back.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.nytimes.com

American Woman Deported From Bali After Calling It ‘Queer Friendly’ (Published 2021)

Indonesian immigration officials detained the woman overnight Tuesday and said she was being deported for “spreading information that could unsettle the public.”

Man, that's certainly a headline
So good. For exploiting the local community, informing/consulting others on how to successfully negotiate around covid restrictions, tax avoidance etc. Selfish, self-serving westerners abusing locals from poorer country's really gets to me, as if things aren't already tough, they have to deal with us abusing their laws and using it against them. Paul Logan-esque entitlement on display, simply gross.

Last edited:

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017

I hope everyone reads this post. Should be thread marked.

So if the borders are closed why does it matter that she "invited visitors". You can't invite visitors If visitors aren't allowed. You see the problem?

If you pay for her book maybe she will show you how to get into Bali during the pandemic. Only 49.95 usd, but act now because in the next five minutes we will chuck in a set of steak knives.

I hope the young ladies will have learned a valuable lesson but they seem a bit privileged. The two had a rare and lucky opportunity which they should have been humble and thankful about, instead they risked it all for a cash grab and social media clout

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a another person trying to get people to come to Bali during a pandemic, he locked his account real fast. He's been reported to immigration as well.

EsMGO3lUYAAFeS9