• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.pewresearch.org

Americans Remain Critical of China

About eight-in-ten Americans report an unfavorable view of China, and Chinese President Xi Jinping receives similarly negative ratings.

For the fifth year in a row, about eight-in-ten Americans report an unfavorable view of China, according to a new Pew Research Center survey. Today, 81% of U.S. adults see the country unfavorably, including 43% who hold a very unfavorable opinion. Chinese President Xi Jinping receives similarly negative ratings.

pg_2024.05.01_us-views-china_0_01.png

When it comes to China's relationship with the United States, few see China as a partner (6%) and most Americans instead label it a competitor (50%) or an enemy (42%) of the U.S. They are likewise critical of China's impact on the U.S. economy, describing its influence as large and negative. Roughly half of Americans think limiting China's power and influence should be a top U.S. foreign policy priority, and another 42% think this should be given some priority. (For more assessments of China's relationship with the U.S., go to Chapter 2.)

According to the Center survey, which was conducted April 1-7, 2024, among 3,600 U.S. adults, Republicans are more wary of China than Democrats are.

Republicans and Republican-leaning independents are about twice as likely as Democrats and Democratic leaners to hold a very unfavorable view of China and to consider China an enemy of the U.S. They are also more likely to say that China has recently become more influential.

pg_2024.05.01_us-views-china_0_02.png

pg_2024.05.01_us-views-china_1_01.png

Around four-in-ten Americans (42%) say China is an enemy of the U.S. This is fewer than the 50% who describe China as a competitor but a slight increase from the 38% of Americans who described China as an enemy last year. It is also the largest share who have described China as an enemy since we began asking the question.

pg_2024.05.01_us-views-china_2_01.png

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid its a self fulfilling prophecy.

More and more hardline positions and policies against China will prove their hardliners correct.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Unsurprising considering all the sinophobic propaganda going around

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
They are currently unapologetically committing a genocide. Should I give them a big hug?

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
When you tie your identity to being on top in the world stage everyone else is a threat

Last edited:

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
This is going to be a mix of people who are racist and people who dislike the Chinese government because it's trash.

Our government is also trash. I know.

whistleklik

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
MSG is still demonized in this country because of its chinese relation, it's a fucking spice. At the end of the day its about how china rivals us with competition and hard work and americans see that as a threat to them and refuse to try and compete and demand that they gimp themselves so they aren't competition. You can go to wikipedia and other sources and read about how chinese people were targeted when they came to america, it's really disgusting. Just a bunch of white power bullshit mixed with delusions of being the chosen ones.

I can criticize my government.

Yeah you can, but the consequences of opposing imperial beielifs are evident.. Look at all the people who have been labled anti semites for dare supporting the rights of palestinians. Peoples lives ruined for having an opinion. They don't care about your critisism when they can swat you like a fly by labeling you.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think most people have no problem with the Chinese people themselves. It's the government that is the problem. They are not our friends or allies. They have made no secret of that. That's not even getting into the various human rights issues and the level of surveillance they administer to their own people.

It's made the average person look at the country as a whole with suspicion and mistrust.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can criticize my government.

Regardless-This is about the CCP-which I'm sure most people are against. Chinese people? Awesome people. American Government? A shit show.

It's an incredibly lazy criticism.

It's akin to arguing that protestors at college campuses right now are anti-semitic, when they're really protesting Israel's war.

It's not the people. It's the government.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
MSG is still demonized in this country because of its chinese relation, it's a fucking spice. At the end of the day its about how china rivals us with competition and hard work and americans see that as a threat to them and refuse to try and compete and demand that they gimp themselves so they aren't competition. You can go to wikipedia and other sources and read about how chinese people were targeted when they came to america, it's really disgusting. Just a bunch of white power bullshit mixed with delusions of being the chosen ones.

Yeah you can, but the consequences of opposing imperial beielifs are evident.. Look at all the people who have been labled anti semites for dare supporting the rights of palestinians. Peoples lives ruined for having an opinion. They don't care about your critisism when they can swat you like a fly by labeling you.
Which is funny since msg is everywhere.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017

So you proved his point. People say the worst stuff about their own government here and there's zero prosecution for the speech itself unless it's within the narrow bands of unprotected speech such as credible threats.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I have a lot of friends from China and neighboring countries who have given me plenty of reasons to be critical of the Chinese government.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
considering how china is trying to project power around their waters i wouldn't blame them. many wouldn't be able to stop china from blockading them from their territorial waters either. right now you also have the problem of chinese commercial fishermen exploiting the waters surrounding them as well. over fishing might cause a lot of ecological damage to their waters.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
I'm surprised to such support in countries with large Muslim populations, considering the horrors that China is inflicting on the Uyghurs.

Whether people of other nations see a direct threat from China significantly impacts their image of the Chinese government. And, China's oppression of Muslims at home has not been widely reported outside of all Western spheres of influence. Even the West is only more familiar with the situation of the Uyghurs and is not aware of what life is like for China's largest group of Muslims, the Hui. People of the same faith or race don't always have unconditional unity.

China has offered massive financial support to Muslim countries and regimes that have a strong unfavorable attitude toward the United States, its alliance, and India. China was the first major country to make economic deals with the Taliban after the US withdrew from Afghanistan and they portrayed the Taliban as lovely goofy freedom fighters in propaganda to Chinese citizens.

Last edited:

VoidShaman

Jul 11, 2023
The Chinese government has done itself no favors in this regard. Then again, it is not like they are trying to change minds.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
China has imperial ambitions and wants to usurp the US. It's not a surprise.

This has gotta be out of date. I've swear I've seen more negative numbers out of The Philippines and Thailand.
Yeah the Phillipines took a hard turn in the last few years when it became clear that appeasement was never going to work.

The various dynamics across SEA are all really interesting at the moment and changing constantly. Some countries want to keep their heads down more than others.

goflyakite

Jul 21, 2023
I think most people have no problem with the Chinese people themselves. It's the government that is the problem. They are not our friends or allies. They have made no secret of that. That's not even getting into the various human rights issues and the level of surveillance they administer to their own people.

It's made the average person look at the country as a whole with suspicion and mistrust.
I think like a lot of people mask their racism and Sinophobia with "hatred of the CCP".

For example, does anyone really think any conservative gives two shits about the persecution of Muslims? I'm not that gullible.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The reason will vary depending on where you are on the political spectrum but yeah, there's not many reasons to be pro-China. While I generally welcome the world re-balancing away from US-led hegemonic dominance, I can't say I'm enthused that the biggest country acting as a check is an authoritarian, imperialistic, genocidal surveillance state.

PatAndTheCat

Apr 1, 2024
I think like a lot of people mask their racism and Sinophobia with "hatred of the CCP".

For example, does anyone really think any conservative gives two shits about the persecution of Muslims? I'm not that gullible.
Yes I do, especially in Congress. There are a number of Republicans who have been critical of Chinese prosecution of Muslims in China.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think being labeled an anti-semite by a private citizen is comparable to being disappeared by an authoritarian state for running a blog.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017

Of course they don't care about the persecution of Muslims. That's why so many US politicians are hypocrites. Blinken talks about China, genocide and how China supplies Russia with equipment and materials, yet they support Israel with weapons and money with the war on Gaza. Children and women are being killed, phosphorus being used. Have the US condemned Israel? What about the US ceasefire veto, not once but multiple times? How long have the US waited before they are offering help to the Palestinians? How many middle eastern countries have the US bombed to smitereens? They don't care about the Muslims/Uyghurs, but it's more anti-China rhetoric, so that's good in their books.

goflyakite

Jul 21, 2023
Yes I do, especially in Congress. There are a number of Republicans who have been critical of Chinese prosecution of Muslims in China.
Right, but I'm questioning their motives behind it. They are anti-China, not anti-persecution of Muslims.
Of course they don't care about the persecution of Muslims. That's why so many US politicians are hypocrites. Blinken talks about China, genocide and how China supplies Russia with equipment and materials, yet they support Israel with weapons and money with the war on Gaza. Children and women are being killed, phosphorus being used. Have the US condemned Israel? What about the US ceasefire veto, not once but multiple times? How long have the US waited before they are offering help to the Palestinians? How many middle eastern countries have the US bombed to smitereens? They don't care about the Muslims/Uyghurs, but it's more anti-China rhetoric, so that's good in their books.
Basically this.